Thread: Lifting twice a day

Wannabebig New Member

Lifting twice a day

I have a workout program that is working well so far. I was wondering if my results would increase if i doubled my workouts? and if so if i should split this into a morning(9:00) and afternoon (3:00) workout. Thanks

What does the routine currently look like?

Wannabebig Member
    lifting twice can be tough on the body - make sure you work in your rest days so you don't get injured

Wannabebig New Member
    I have 2 rest days a week.
    And todays workout consist of:
    Hang clean to front squat 5x3
    lunges 4x8
    V-grip pullups 4x8
    SL squat 3x5
    BB complex 4x5

I don't really see it increasing your results. Well, maybe for a very short window, but after that I doubt it. I just tried using a twice-a-day routine and I got a quick growth spurt and then it just leveled off. I would run the two-a-days for two weeks and then give it a break for a week. I really don't think it was worth all the extra effort though. Just get in, get the work done, and start recovering.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Keeganoverbey View Post
    I have a workout program that is working well so far. I was wondering if my results would increase if i doubled my workouts? and if so if i should split this into a morning(9:00) and afternoon (3:00) workout. Thanks
    Results happen outside of the gym, not while you're in the gym. 2 a day lifting, like OR said, may show momentary results, and you could totally give it a shot if you wanted to, but don't expect it to double your gains made in the gym.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Keeganoverbey View Post
    In most cases you will end up over-training if you are training twice per day.

If you would like to do something beneficial and have the extra time you could always do flexibility work, 'pre-hab', or conditioning workouts.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

If you want to workout twice a day then divide your example day in half and do one half in the morning and the other half later at night. You just cant be stupid about it. It sounds like you're thinking, "If once a day works well, then twice a day would work better? Well then how bout 3 times a day or maybe 4!!"
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig New Member
    What if I double the workout in one gym visit? Woudn't my testosterone levels lower?

Don't worry about that idea regarding testosterone levels dropping after a certain length of workout. The bigger issue is usually just doing too much work period. If your routine has so much volume that it takes hours and hours to finish then it's probably overkill for most people. The problem isn't necessarily the time it takes, but the fact that it has more volume than the trainee can handle.

When in doubt...do less not more
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

If what you're doing is working, don't change.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220