The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    House Lannister
    Yea man, if it works it works. No reason to fuck with it.

I REALLY like romanian/stiff deads. Deadlifts are a back exercise for me when pullling convi, but SLDLs I ALWAYS feel in my glutes/hams the next day. They are awesome.

No AM cardio.

Morning weight: 148.5lbs, starting to get pretty damn lean.

Lower body session:

Low bar Squats:
    4 x 5 x 45lbs
    5 x 95
    5 x 135
    5 x 185
    3 x 225
    1 x 255 (belt)
    5 x 275lbs (belt)
    Felt easy as fuck. Real happy about this since it was my first time free squatting in months. Last time, I ended up fucking up an already fucked back. I feel this is going to go up fast if I stay healthy.

Front Squats
    7 x 5 x 190lbs

Sumo rack pulls from 6.75"
    1 x 315
    1 x 365
    1 x 405lbs
    Noticed I was squatting the weight up. I read NickAus' log and took his advice, I'm PULLING it now. Fuck what a difference. Can see how this'll give me much more carryover (+ much more upper back work)

Back raises (weight behind head)
    20 x 25lbs
    15 x 25lbs
    12 x 25lbs

Situps on GHR (weight behind head)
    15 x 12.5lbs
    15 x 15lbs
    15 x 17.5lbs

Cable side twists
    2 sets 15 reps

PWO cardio - 40 minutes

Session felt fucking good. Don't know what's happening lately, but the penis feels good, the workouts feel awesome, I want to smash every weight I see and the strength gains keep coming and coming as I'm losing fat. Fuck yes. Maybe put some pics up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Yea man, if it works it works. No reason to fuck with it.

I REALLY like romanian/stiff deads. Deadlifts are a back exercise for me when pullling convi, but SLDLs I ALWAYS feel in my glutes/hams the next day. They are awesome.
    Fuck yes. I'm not doing them right now because we have a GHR at my gym. I leave next Thursday for med school and the gym there doesn't have one.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 08-15-2011 at 09:15 PM.

House Lannister
    Ugh I hate back squats lol. Always have an injury with those, and never make progress. So I avoid them like the plague.

405 is solid as hell. I couldn't touch that right now.

Ugh I hate back squats lol. Always have an injury with those, and never make progress. So I avoid them like the plague.

405 is solid as hell. I couldn't touch that right now.
    Back squats are a staple when I want to gain weight. You can't not gain weight doing low bar squats.

What kind of injuries do you get when you do them?

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M View Post
    Back squats are a staple when I want to gain weight. You can't not gain weight doing low bar squats.

What kind of injuries do you get when you do them?
    Pulled a hammy, injured my back over a year ago (still affects me somewhat, although I've greatly reduced the symptoms through stretching/foam rolling), Stage 2 tear of my right hip flexor/grointhing, elbow tendinitis, slight shoulder issues, blah blah blah. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a WLing injury that WASN't due to back squats, heh.

It is the only lift I don't see progress on and frankly have never gotten a lot of benefit out of. Hit 340x1 with a belt with the flexor tear and a shoddy lower back. Probs coulda hit 360-370 or so completely healthy and with more sessions.

Gave me a hella set of glutes. Quads, no.

Funny part is, I started back squatting again about four weeks ago. Three weeks in, I swear I was this close to pulling my OTHER flexor, and I was only doing like 225x6. Ditched them after that.

I hit 225x5 or something like that for front squats the other night, and 250 for a double after an 11-rep heavy set. I have no doubt I'll surpass my back squat max with front squats in a year's time, if I stay healthy. 315# x 3 is the goal by Xmas.

/back squat hate.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 08-15-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Cheated quite a bit with the diet yesterday.

Me and my sister made some tiramisu for my mom's birthday. It was so fucking delicious, I ate about 1000 cals worth of it. Also ate a whole popcorn bag, 2 pitas and a shitload of basmati rice (1 cup uncooked). Didn't do any cardio either. Doesn't matter and it wasn't that bad actually. Back on track today.

Today:
    45 minutes AM cardio (didn't mention it yet, but it's biking on an awesome trail through nature)

Upper Body workout

Bench press
    4 x 7 x 155 lol EZ

DB bench
    13RP @ 75lbs [big error here, did not take any rest between last set of BP and DB bench, 75lbs felt really light but endurance - i.e. triceps - failed too quickly]

T-bar Row
    3 x 10 x 3 plates

Seated cable row
    21RP @ 150lbs

Seated BB press
    17RP @ 95lbs... was shit. They got rid of the seated press bench, had to do it in the squat rack and it felt really awkward.

Dips
    22RP @ 45lbs + BW [pretty damn happy about this]

DB curls
    21RP @ 32,5lbs

Everything felt easy. Could've really destroyed this workout, but decided I'd rather keep my strength for the long run. The overreating definitely helped that's for sure. Next cut, I think I'll keep carbs higher.

Pulled a hammy, injured my back over a year ago (still affects me somewhat, although I've greatly reduced the symptoms through stretching/foam rolling), Stage 2 tear of my right hip flexor/grointhing, elbow tendinitis, slight shoulder issues, blah blah blah. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a WLing injury that WASN't due to back squats, heh.

It is the only lift I don't see progress on and frankly have never gotten a lot of benefit out of. Hit 340x1 with a belt with the flexor tear and a shoddy lower back. Probs coulda hit 360-370 or so completely healthy and with more sessions.

Gave me a hella set of glutes. Quads, no.

Funny part is, I started back squatting again about four weeks ago. Three weeks in, I swear I was this close to pulling my OTHER flexor, and I was only doing like 225x6. Ditched them after that.

I hit 225x5 or something like that for front squats the other night, and 250 for a double after an 11-rep heavy set. I have no doubt I'll surpass my back squat max with front squats in a year's time, if I stay healthy. 315# x 3 is the goal by Xmas.

/back squat hate.
    I'm going to have to drive down south and slap you man. Back squats are the shit if you can stay healthy. Front squats + back squats = insane set of wheels.

Insane goal going from 250 for a double to 315lbs in 4 months, I'm definitely going to make sure you do it . My front squat max is 240lbs and 225lbs for 3. Maybe a race to 300lbs ?

Today:
    45 minutes AM cardio (didn't mention it yet, but it's biking on an awesome trail through nature)
    CARDIO BUNNY. GET OFF THIS SITE!!!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

House Lannister
    Cheated quite a bit with the diet yesterday.

Me and my sister made some tiramisu for my mom's birthday. It was so fucking delicious, I ate about 1000 cals worth of it. Also ate a whole popcorn bag, 2 pitas and a shitload of basmati rice (1 cup uncooked). Didn't do any cardio either. Doesn't matter and it wasn't that bad actually. Back on track today.

Fatass.

Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M
    I'm going to have to drive down south and slap you man. Back squats are the shit if you can stay healthy. Front squats + back squats = insane set of wheels.
    depends on how you back squat. Olympic back squat? Fuck yea you can build some damn good quads. PLing style with a big ass stance and sitting back? Naope, at least not that I've seen. My glutes can crush an apple, though.

Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M
    Insane goal going from 250 for a double to 315lbs in 4 months, I'm definitely going to make sure you do it . My front squat max is 240lbs and 225lbs for 3. Maybe a race to 300lbs ?

That double was after like 205x11 and 225x4, so it's def doable. I may go for 275 for a single or double tonight, just depends on how I feel.

House Lannister
    I hit 225# x 8 and then followed it up with 250# x 3 after on front squats.

Thursday I cycled in AM (45min), ran with a friend (50 mins) then went to hit some golf balls.

Friday: AM cardio

Lower body session
    Front squats
    6 x 3 x 205lbs
    Deadlifts
    5 x 225lbs
    Stopped there, wanted to give myself some rest. Went to play golf after.

Saturday:
    Incline Bench
    3 x 8 x 140lbs
    8 x 145lbs

Incline DB bench
    24RP @ 60lbs, upping this next week

BB rows
    10 x 165lbs
    10 x 185lbs
    10 x 185lbs
    a bit of body language, will stay at this weight

DB strict rows (like the vid in the first page)
    3 x 10 x 90lbs
    Awesome pump in the lats

DB press
    20RP @ 55lbs (will go up next week)

Tris on smith machine
    21RP @ 155lbs (up)

Preacher curls
    20RP @ 45lbs (up)

50 mins bike ride after the workout. Hungry as fuck today.

Took it easy in the lower body session, but real happy about the upper body session.Now @ 66.9kg [morning weight] or about 147lbs. I think I'm about 9% which means 134lbs of LBM [glycogen depleted]. 4 more weeks of dieting would put me around 6%. I might stop before that, we'll see. I've attained almost all of my goals and my before/after for 12 weeks I think are pretty awesome [check attachments - I had a belly, double chin, no mass]: six pack, arm vascularity, lost the fat on my face, back definition, even have veins I didn't know could show and am starting to get them on the quads. For 147lbs @ 5'9", this means I'm getting really, really lean.

I hit 225# x 8 and then followed it up with 250# x 3 after on front squats.

Fack lol.

Even dieting I'll catch up this I swear. I'm tweeking my program for faster front squat gains. Once I start eating, watch your fucking back, phaggot. lol but seriously, you're going into beastmode.

Fatass.

depends on how you back squat. Olympic back squat? Fuck yea you can build some damn good quads. PLing style with a big ass stance and sitting back? Naope, at least not that I've seen. My glutes can crush an apple, though.
    PLing style with a big ass stance and sitting back + front squats = insane leg development . Since my back is better, I added squats back to my rotation. My basic 2 day a week lower body template is Squats + Front squats and Front squats + Sumo deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    CARDIO BUNNY. GET OFF THIS SITE!!!
    I'm convinced of the benefits of cardio. My work capacity is up despite the added cardio and caloric deficit... and I just feel better overall.

I'll need your help now guys to plan my bulk now. Check my next post! Everyone's welcome to comment/help/suggest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by K-R-M; 08-20-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Ok, so here's my plan for the bulk. I also have some questions if anyone reading wants to answer.

Training:

Lower body 1
    Squats: work up to 5RM (try to go up 5-10lbs per week - right now at 275 x 5)
    Front squats: last 2 weeks of Smolov Jr every month, but am open to suggestions.
    Assistance exercise (Romanians, rack pulls, back raises)
    Abs (obliques + anti-flexion)
    15-20 min cardio

Upper body 1 (this takes me about 1 hour or less usually)
    Bench Press (linear progression)
    5-6 mins rest
    DB bench - Rest pause [always go up in weight when I get to 20RP]
    T-bar Rows - 3 straight sets
    Pull ups - RP
    Seated BB press - RP
    Dips - RP
    DB curls - RP
    15-20 min cardio

Lower body 2
    Front squats - Smolov jr
    Sumo deadlifts - work up to 5RM (but sometimes switch for 10RM, 20RM)
    Assistance 1 (optionnal - leg press 20 repper)
    Assistance 2 (back raises, 45 deg raises)
    Abs (same)
    15-20 min cardio

Upper body 2
    Incline bench (linear progression)
    5-6 min rest
    DB incline bench - RP
    BB rows - 3 straight sets
    DB strict row - RP
    DB press - RP
    Tris on smith - RP
    Preacher curls - RP
    Optionnal cardio

Pretty much all the exercises can be changed for an equivalent if I think I can't make any progress on them anymore. What I might do is get rid of the incline bench and just do DB inclines, get rid of the DB bench and just do normal benches. That way, when I stop progressing, I switch for the DB/BB version and I keep 1 variation with DBs and 1 with BBs.

For my diet, I'll mainly eat what I eat right now which is:
    Basmati and brown rice, oatmeal, WW spaghetti, eggs, milk, protein powder, chicken breasts, lean beef, soya bacon bits, no fat cheese slices, low fat parmesan, roasted algea, white fish, salmon, low fat popcorn, olive oil, almond butter, peanut butter, brocoli, sauces and beans. Those are the foods I found taste really, really good (with the right recipes!), are cheap, come in bulk, are easy to prepare and are easy to account for. I love the occasionnal McDonald's too. I cut eating there about 1-2 times a week until recently.

My macros initially will be at 2500 cals (I'm at 2000 cals), but If I feel hungry, I'll eat more calories. I'll up the calories once I hit a wall. Macros will be high carbs, high protein, low fat generally, but high protein, moderate carbs (100-150gs), moderate fat (60-80gs) on off days. It'll depend how I feel.

I plan on doing cardio on my off days, maybe take 1 day off and have 1 day where I do some sort of total body conditionning workout. This is to keep the bodyfat low throughout the bulk (Dante speaks about this, and actually so does John Berardi with G-Flux, I noticed the same with 2 of my friends who train this way, including myself the last few weeks)

My plan is to bulk until May 1st, or 8 months, for 2 4 month training cycles.

My questions would be:
    1. How much LBM can I expect to gain considering my initial size in 8 months? I would be satisfied being 6lbs heavier at the same amount of fat come the same date next year.
    2. What should be my target weekly weight gain after the initial few pounds that'll be easy to gain once I stop dieting? [Note: I'll ease into my bulking diet, I won'tgo all out nor do i feel the need to eat junk right now] I was thinking 1-2lbs per month, after the initial 5-10lbs gain from stopping the deficit.
    3. What should be my target strength gains week to week?

Let's get this shit started (soon).
    Last edited by K-R-M; 08-20-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Luke
    I'm convinced of the benefits of cardio. My work capacity is up despite the added cardio and caloric deficit... and I just feel better overall.
    Interesting. I'd definitely like to add cardio to my schedule just for the health benefits... increased work capacity sounds good too! It's just so easy for me to keep off weight, I'm a little ambivalent.

Good training in here.

Woke up at 66.5kg or about 146.5lbs today, I look more and more... ripped. Veins on the delts and running from my underarm all the way down the obliques to the "adonis belt". Went shopping today for some polos. There's this pretty high class store I go to with quality shirts. Every season they have a nice sellout and they cut prices at least 50%. I remember going the last two summers at around the same date, it's kind of my way to judge yearly progress in that mirror lol, since the lighting is awesome. Last year I remember being a bit buff, but soft. This year was completely different, looked like a completely different body. Really. fucking. happy. I'm pretty sure my shoulders grew during my cut as well, here's a delt/tri/back shot attached.

Training:

Sunday - did a full body circuit and some steady state cardio, 45 mins total.

Today: No AM cardio...

Had a crazy fucking day. Normally, I work every summer for about 20$/hr as a junior consultant/engineer for about 4 months. Gets me usually 11-12K$ for my two semesters. But since I already have an engineering diploma, I qualify for full scholarship. That means if I work, I don't get a free 10K$ from the government. I figured it wasn't worth it to work considering I'd get around the same cash doing fuck all. I also got a 5K$ from my Medical School (studying to be a doctor ) as a bursary due to my academic achievements (only 5 given out of 200 new students). With another 4K loan, I was up to about 19K$ which was more or less enough cash.

Problem is I haven't been working since april as I've been catching up some needed pre-req courses for med school (acceptance with conditions). I finished two months ago but have been living on a 10K bank loan since march, with half of it already spent in my 7month exchange program. We're allowed from 50K to 200K bank loans (credit margin) at prime interest (almost nothing) if we're in med or dental school. Problem is, the 10K fucked my credit and I've been having problems getting it (though I should tommorow). With my laptop broken and some big spending coming up, I needed cash quick. This is where I'm thankfull I spent so much time learning how to invest and make money (MUST READ: THE INTELLIGENT INVESTOR by Benjamin Graham - it can literally make you a millionaire).

When everything was still going well and gold was selling at a decent price, I thought the collapse would be brutal so with a couple hundred dollars, I bought 31gs of 18K and 12gs of 16K gold. Fast forward, gold is selling 1876CAN$ a troy ounce and bulk gold buyers are offering 44$/g for 18K gold. I found a dealer for 41$/gs, which is decent to say the least. I sold my gold for 1660$ for a huge profit. What makes it sweater is I had bought a bunch of Bank of Montreal stocks during the 2008 (I think) dip giving me a dividend of 10% and an appreciation of 100% on a 2K$ investment. My first invesments were bad (not thousands of dollars bad, but regular losses culminating into a few hundred dollars lost), but experience and patience are really paying off. Anyways, I also got an additionnal 2K$ loan (all my gov loans are non-interest with no payment until after my residency is done LOL). So... things are going well finally lol.

Anyways, was destroyed from all the running around and preparing to leave for school in a few days. Went to train at 9:30pm. Been taking D-aspartic acid for the last few days and popped a few pills of caffeeine before the workout. Results:

low bar Squats (I go just before I butt wink, which is parallel)
    4 x 5 x 45
    2 x 5 x 95lbs
    2 x 5 x 135lbs
    3 x 185 lbs
    3 x 225lbs
    1 x 255lbs (belt on)
    1 x 275lbs
    5 x 295lbs (two were high, wasn't happy so I took 1 minute break and did this
    3 x 295lbs (all good)
    Basically, a 295lbs 5RM. Enormous PR for me, 2xBW 5RM, happy as fuck.

Front squats
    7 x 175lbs
    2 x 9 x 175lbs
    4 x 175lbs (shoulders were burning)

45 deg back raise (DB in front, glued to chest)
    3 x 12 x 95lbs (PR)

45 side raise
    3 x 8 x 70lbs (enormous PR)

Ab crunches on GHR (weight behind head)
    15 x 20lbs (huge PR)
    8 x 20lbs
    stopped there, took 1hr including warmups

5 mins stair master to cool down at level 11

Can't believe all the PRs I've been getting while cutting. I'm convinced I gained some muscle mass through all of this, maybe 1lbs, which honestly makes a huge difference. I also think I'm a great responder to D-aspartic acid.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodybob View Post
    Interesting. I'd definitely like to add cardio to my schedule just for the health benefits... increased work capacity sounds good too! It's just so easy for me to keep off weight, I'm a little ambivalent.

Good training in here.
    Thanks.

It's funny, right after my post I was reading some articles from natural pro Alberto Nunez. At least, it was on the site he writes for. I was reading his and another of his colleagues' (another very good natural pro) articles... and one of them said the same thing. Increased work capacity from the added cardio. I used to hate doing it, but I'm getting nothing but positive results and I'm actually enjoying doing it.

House Lannister
    Ok, so here's my plan for the bulk. I also have some questions if anyone reading wants to answer.

Training:

Lower body 1
    Front squats why not do a DE day or maybe just a 'feeler' day to keep the groove in form?
    Fuck cardio

5-6 mins rest
    Pull ups - RP
    Seated BB press - RP
    Dips - RP
    DB curls - RP

Lower body 2
    Sumo deadlifts - work up to 5RM-10RM
    Front squats - Smolov jr Work up to heavy 5-10RM?
    Assistance 1 (optional - leg press 20 repper)
    Assistance 2 (leg curls)
    Abs (same)

Upper body 2
    DB incline bench - RP
    DB strict row - RP
    Lat Pulldowns/Pullover/Chins-RP
    DB press - RP
    Tris on smith - RP
    Preacher curls - RP

Pretty much all the exercises can be changed for an equivalent if I think I can't make any progress on them anymore. What I might do is get rid of the incline bench and just do DB inclines, get rid of the DB bench and just do normal benches. That way, when I stop progressing, I switch for the DB/BB version and I keep 1 variation with DBs and 1 with BBs.

Basmati and brown rice, oatmeal, WW spaghetti, eggs, milk, protein powder, chicken breasts, lean beef, soya bacon bits, no fat cheese slices, low fat parmesan, roasted algea, white fish, salmon, low fat popcorn, olive oil, almond butter, peanut butter, brocoli, sauces and beans. Those are the foods I found taste really, really good (with the right recipes!), are cheap, come in bulk, are easy to prepare and are easy to account for. I love the occasionnal McDonald's too. I cut eating there about 1-2 times a week until recently.

My macros initially will be at 2500 cals (I'm at 2000 cals), but If I feel hungry, I'll eat more calories. I'll up the calories once I hit a wall. Macros will be high carbs, high protein, low fat generally, but high protein, moderate carbs (100-150gs), moderate fat (60-80gs) on off days. It'll depend how I feel.

I plan on doing cardio on my off days, maybe take 1 day off and have 1 day where I do some sort of total body conditionning workout. This is to keep the bodyfat low throughout the bulk (Dante speaks about this, and actually so does John Berardi with G-Flux, I noticed the same with 2 of my friends who train this way, including myself the last few weeks)

My questions would be:
    1. How much LBM can I expect to gain considering my initial size in 8 months? I would be satisfied being 6lbs heavier at the same amount of fat come the same date next year.
    2. What should be my target weekly weight gain after the initial few pounds that'll be easy to gain once I stop dieting? [Note: I'll ease into my bulking diet, I won'tgo all out nor do i feel the need to eat junk right now] I was thinking 1-2lbs per month, after the initial 5-10lbs gain from stopping the deficit.

First, fuck your quads.

I put my changes in where I saw fit. Feel free to disregard them.

IMO I think you are going to run into trouble doing heavy squats+front squats on day 1 lower and then heavy sumo deads and front squats on day 2 lower AS WELL as T-bar rows and barbell rows on the upper days. That is a LOT of lower back work and I just wouldn't risk it if I were you.

I also saw a bit of redundancy in there with your lifts. I didn't get why you'd do the DB flat after flat 5rm benching. Sure, DB will actually hit your chest more, but if you get up to a 300x5 your chest isn't going to be small anyways.

I'd just focus on one exercise per muscle group for upper days, and split it as I've kinda done above where you have days focused for MAX STRENGTH lifting (5rm in flat bench, etc.) and then another day filled with RP work where you focus on strength in a higher rep range (probs 8-12)

I also think that doing all that PWO cardio AND cardio on off days is just way too much. You are lean as hell right now, probs 8-9. Think about it this way: What are you going to do when you have cut calories down quite a bit and still aren't lean enough yet on your next cut? With this plan you'd be doing cardio every day for 15-20 mins. You'd have to up that to 30-45 mins to get even leaner, which IMO is silly when you could just hold off on the cardio during your bulk or do cardio on your off days and then up it even more when it's NECESSARY to do so.

IMO 6lbs is just not a whole lot of weight for 9 whole months. You'd probably gain that and then some just with glycogen uptake and water gain with increased carbs. If you are going to do a bulk/cut cycle of roughly 9/3 months respectively, I say eat in a healthy surplus EVERY day and focus on getting stronger. Try and get up to 175-180 or so a LITTLE soft, and get your numbers up to a really solid level.

I think F=MA's journal called 'lifting journal pt 2' had him attempting a clean bulk after he dieted to 6%, but he ditched that plan as he found it was OCD and hindering his gains.

The whole lean gain route is good for SOME guys, but almost all the guys i've seen who advocate this approach (Alberto Nunez, most natty bodybuilders, etc.) have spent a GOOD DEAL of time being FAT AS FUCK and gained most of their size during that period of relative obesity. Some guys like Nunez think anything above .001 lbs of gain a week after a comp is ALL FATZ BRO!!!! I just don't think that's the case. You'd be limiting your gain significantly if you continue to be worried about being exceptionally lean.

I'd ditch the cardio for a bit (can keep it to moderate cardio for 15-25 mins or HIIT for short duration on off days if you like), up the calories to 2500 at first but then increase in increments of 500 when you see a stall, starting the increase on training days, mostly from carbs. Get a good amount of rest, so only train 4 days a week, and make sure you get a good amount of protein daily. I like 1.5g per lb of bodyweight, and won't stray from that (complete protein sources only).

Look at the link below:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/transm89.htm

see what I mean? He gained most of his size after a MASSIVE period of bulking. Not doing this whole 'mmk stayz 6% all year and gain .5 lbs in 10 months" bs that seems to be all the rage with natty bodybuilders these days.

**have a ton of respect for Alberto tho. He's the conditioning master.

House Lannister

Training:

Lower body 1
    Front squats why not do a DE day or maybe just a 'feeler' day to keep the groove in form?
    Fuck cardio

5-6 mins rest
    Pull ups - RP
    Seated BB press - RP
    Dips - RP
    DB curls - RP

Lower body 2
    Sumo deadlifts - work up to 5RM-10RM
    Front squats - Smolov jr Work up to heavy 5-10RM?
    Assistance 1 (optional - leg press 20 repper)
    Assistance 2 (leg curls)
    Abs (same)

Upper body 2
    DB incline bench - RP
    DB strict row - RP
    Lat Pulldowns/Pullover/Chins-RP
    DB press - RP
    Tris on smith - RP
    Preacher curls - RP

My questions would be:

First, fuck your quads.

IMO I think you are going to run into trouble doing heavy squats+front squats on day 1 lower and then heavy sumo deads and front squats on day 2 lower AS WELL as T-bar rows and barbell rows on the upper days. That is a LOT of lower back work and I just wouldn't risk it if I were you.

I also saw a bit of redundancy in there with your lifts. I didn't get why you'd do the DB flat after flat 5rm benching. Sure, DB will actually hit your chest more, but if you get up to a 300x5 your chest isn't going to be small anyways.

I'd just focus on one exercise per muscle group for upper days, and split it as I've kinda done above where you have days focused for MAX STRENGTH lifting (5rm in flat bench, etc.) and then another day filled with RP work where you focus on strength in a higher rep range (probs 8-12)

I also think that doing all that PWO cardio AND cardio on off days is just way too much. You are lean as hell right now, probs 8-9. Think about it this way: What are you going to do when you have cut calories down quite a bit and still aren't lean enough yet on your next cut? With this plan you'd be doing cardio every day for 15-20 mins. You'd have to up that to 30-45 mins to get even leaner, which IMO is silly when you could just hold off on the cardio during your bulk or do cardio on your off days and then up it even more when it's NECESSARY to do so.

IMO 6lbs is just not a whole lot of weight for 9 whole months. You'd probably gain that and then some just with glycogen uptake and water gain with increased carbs. If you are going to do a bulk/cut cycle of roughly 9/3 months respectively, I say eat in a healthy surplus EVERY day and focus on getting stronger. Try and get up to 175-180 or so a LITTLE soft, and get your numbers up to a really solid level.

I think F=MA's journal called 'lifting journal pt 2' had him attempting a clean bulk after he dieted to 6%, but he ditched that plan as he found it was OCD and hindering his gains.

The whole lean gain route is good for SOME guys, but almost all the guys i've seen who advocate this approach (Alberto Nunez, most natty bodybuilders, etc.) have spent a GOOD DEAL of time being FAT AS FUCK and gained most of their size during that period of relative obesity. Some guys like Nunez think anything above .001 lbs of gain a week after a comp is ALL FATZ BRO!!!! I just don't think that's the case. You'd be limiting your gain significantly if you continue to be worried about being exceptionally lean.

I'd ditch the cardio for a bit (can keep it to moderate cardio for 15-25 mins or HIIT for short duration on off days if you like), up the calories to 2500 at first but then increase in increments of 500 when you see a stall, starting the increase on training days, mostly from carbs. Get a good amount of rest, so only train 4 days a week, and make sure you get a good amount of protein daily. I like 1.5g per lb of bodyweight, and won't stray from that (complete protein sources only).

Look at the link below:

see what I mean? He gained most of his size after a MASSIVE period of bulking. Not doing this whole 'mmk stayz 6% all year and gain .5 lbs in 10 months" bs that seems to be all the rage with natty bodybuilders these days.

House Lannister
    Oh, and hit 225x10 and then 250x4 last leg day for front squats.

Edit: That's with belt n wrist wraps.

Oh and solid bis/tris/delts. Jelly.

My arms suck. damnit.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 08-22-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Just moved to a new city to start med school. Everything's been hectic. Diets been a bit off, I haven't slept much and have a bit of anxiety too. Place is pretty boring compared to Montreal but I'll adapt. I still got a pretty good session in yesterday. I might not update my journal as much this week, but everything should be back to normal once I get settled down.

Friday:
    Box jumps
    Dunno height, but was about chest level at 5'10". First time doing them, liked it.

Back Squats
    Worked up to 275 x 1

Front squats
    5 x 7 x 190lbs (PR)

Sumo deadlift
    20 x 225lbs (had to stop due to huge headache, still had the strength to rep out more)

Abs (cable twists and ab to face)

PWO cardio - 45 min run

Saturday:

SHIT training. Upper body. did it in the morning, didn't sleep much, still had headache from the deadlifts, just maintained. I'll probably do a small deload/rest this week.

I'm now at a new gym. Every bar and weight is difference, my groove during lifts is completely different. Will have to adapt in the next few weeks. DBs feel much heavier but that might be the fatigue.

Oh, and hit 225x10 and then 250x4 last leg day for front squats.

Edit: That's with belt n wrist wraps.

Oh and solid bis/tris/delts. Jelly.

My arms suck. damnit.

lol that's some serious front squatting.

First, fuck your quads.

Look at the link below:

I agree with redundancy with some of my exercises. I've been slowly figuring out how to periodize my training to increase my lifts. My main rule is to keep my workouts under 1 hour. If I do that, I don't mind doing more exercises. What I often do is just cut sets on the barbell exercise. I love doing them because I find they're a great warm up for the rest of my workout, while the DB versions are what really help me make gains. In essence, I do less work of each, but more exercise.

For the lower back. Front squats and Sumo deadlifts don't stress my lower back at all basically. Front squats especially I've done with serious lower back injuries, they're my most therapeutic exercise. I've tried a very wide spectrum of volume for the lower back. I know how it feels when it's overtrained or overstressed, so I adjust according to how I feel. The back squats are what really stress my lower back. If I stay tight during rows, I'm fine and I often just switch them for cable or machine versions. Nothing in that training is set in stone, it varies according to different factors.

I won't ditch the cardio though. I'll probably do much less than what I wrote, but for me I found it's an essential part of training. It increases my work capacity significantly which makes me stronger in my workouts. I feel much healthier as well and it keeps me hungry. I remember reading f=ma's journal when he did that. I'm not going to try to stay at 7-9%, but what I learned was I can time my calories for week to week strength gains/PRs. I also know that overreating does fuck all for me except extra fat gain, my gains come from getting PRs and keeping good form. That'll be the focus, so the calories and macros will be variable. Staying lean is a big focus however. Getting fat as fuck is counterproductive imo. And if I cut next year to 7% and I'm 6-8lbs heavier... that's a big gain for a natural.

House Lannister
    Update dude.

Still training hard, but I've been very busy with med school, having a new place, in a new town, new friends...

Been having some really good sessions this week.

I have some tests this friday, then I'm updating my journal with objectives and my plan for the semester and first draft for the year. My training is set in stone right now and everything's been progressing very, very well.

I have a few logs from the last two weeks, but I'll only post today's workout.

I decided on my objectives for the next semester. Looking really forward to doing them!

Next two weeks: continue cut, go to overdrive with well selected supplements, diet and 7 times cardio per week (between 5 and 8kms of running every day).

Supplement regime: 2 weeks Cuts+thermonex+D aspartic+vit D. Add ephedrine soon.

Third week: if satisfied with cut (about 6-7%), do a quick fake contest prep (obviuosly not at 3-4%), if not, continue regimen. During this week: oxylite pro (jacked+yohimbine) and maybe cafeeine. Take week off of lower body PRs.

2 weeks following: diet break, return slowly to normal calories: no pigging out.

Next few months: "off-season", gain mass, maybe do a powerlifting meet or two. My mass gain objectives: 5lbs of real muscle per year for 4 years. That's 20lbs of real mass in 4 years and pretty much Alberto Nunez' muscularity. Won't get too high in bodyfat %, it simply doesn't work for me and my metabolism was made to stay lean and gain mass when I'm lean (my best gains are always when I'm lean).

For today's workout:

Took a SHITLOAD of stimulants today. I think I'll keep doing this + ephedrine + beta alanine + creatine everytime I want to demolish PRs. My energy levels were freaking sick. All the ingredients I used I studied through my pharmacology books + research reviews. Caffeeine (about 800mg), synephrine, green tea, guarna (cafeeine), forskolin and alpha lipoic acid. The effect was awesome.

Morning weight: 145lbs, cut as fuck right now. Double bicep vein, quad vascularity, ab vascularity, oblique vascularity, hamstring showing, glute definition, the works.

Back Squats:
    warm up
    3 x 225
    1 x 255
    1 x 275
    5 x 285 (easy as fuck)

Front squats:
    3 x 9 x 175 (easy as fuck)

45 deg back raise with DB in front of face:
    3 x 12 x 100lbs (easy as fuck)

45 deg side bend:
    3 x 5 x 75lbs (not so easy lol)

Ab crunch on GHR with DB behind head:
    21 RP 25lbs (felt hard on lower back, will go down in weight)

6.2km run after.

On a personal note, I love med school. I pretty much found my passion in life, I'm a really happy person usually, but now my level of happiness I think would be hard to match on the planet lol.

I like this update pic .

My goal

A pic of mine from 10 minutes ago. I have the same face and muscle bellies almost. I think in 4-5 years, I'll look a lot like him, but natural and less massive. Outside Antoine Vaillant, I haven't seen anyone more conditionned the gym in weeks. I think I'm 7.5-8.5% right now. Can't see my legs but they're my strongest bodypart.

I think I built a really good base going forward for the next few years. Mass gains should be much, much easier. Stopping the 4000-5000 calorie diet was the best decision I ever took. It's done nothing for me. I've had 3 main muscle growth/strength spurts and they were all on moderate to low calories, twice while cutting.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 09-13-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Last little post on the last two weeks of my diet.

I've been partying pretty hard and we've had a lot of social events. Lots of hotdogs, chips and alcohol mainly.

I had one evening BBQ where I ate 3 beef burgers, 6 hot dogs, half of a large bag of Lay's, 4 McD's junior chickens and 5 beers in 3 hours. Drank alcohol about every 2 days, and had some days where I ate a whole bag of these babies on top of my diet:

I dropped weight. Gained strength in the gym.

So fuck clean eating. Learn the science, learn your body. I'm a fat burning furnace who can keep/gain muscle and strength through a hard deficit (2000 calories a day). I gain slow, but steady (about 5lbs or so a year, haven't been training that long though), cardio makes me better at the gym/life and I have a periodization plan that will work until it doesn't. Looking forward to the rest of this year!
    Last edited by K-R-M; 09-13-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Luke
    Lookin' real cut up in that pic, man.
    Nice.