The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Luke
    Also glad to hear you're so happy AND confident about your training.
    Great to see!

House Lannister
    That Stoitsov pic is awesome. Resemblance is pretty similar.

You're looking lean as fuck bro. I still think you are making a mistake with not upping your calories more, but to each his own. I will say that Nunez gets outmassed at most all his shows. He win based on his conditioning, not his size.

Not saying you have to be in a major surplus, but I think it's silly to not be in a surplus at all times during a gaining phase.

Also, he gained most of his size in his earlier years by getting soft and moving a fuckton of weight around in the gym.

I implore you to take a look at what some of the natty guys are saying in this thread. Near the bottom one natty competitor talks about staying too lean in the offseason.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=340779971

BTW, front squats 250x8 and 275x3.

I'm going to be in a surplus...

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M View Post
    I'm going to be in a surplus...
    I mean a daily surplus. Your prior posts led me to believe that you were going to be doing a ton of cardio and maybe be cycling calories to a deficit on off days. I'm unsure how many calories you'll be over maintenance, but I would think 500 over at a minimum.

I'm not saying you need to get fat as fuck, but AFAIK you haven't been training very long and I think you'd be selling yourself short on muscle gain by only trying to gain 5lbs of muscle this upcoming year, when you could really be gaining 8-10 with a higher surplus if you haven't been training a long time.

The thing that bothers me about Nunez and some of the 3DMJ guys is that they seem very afraid to get any sort of soft in the offseason, which I think hurts their gains. The most impressive size gain I've seen was in Layne Norton, who really became an elite natty after taking some time off and getting a bit soft and really just focusing on throwing around slag iron. Fucker blew up.

I also think it's a bit misleading for Berto to preach staying lean when he gained the majority of his size getting what I consider to be obese. This is what Prof X at Tbagnation refers to as the selective memory of successful bodybuilders, in which they forgot how soft they were when they gained most of their size.

House Lannister
    Oh, and yes clean eating is a joke. I regularly incorporate McDonald's into my macros. Result is some indigestion and bloating, that's it.

Do you talk to Antoine V in the gym? What're his workouts like? Does he lift like a pussy?

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I mean a daily surplus. Your prior posts led me to believe that you were going to be doing a ton of cardio and maybe be cycling calories to a deficit on off days. I'm unsure how many calories you'll be over maintenance, but I would think 500 over at a minimum.

I'm not saying you need to get fat as fuck, but AFAIK you haven't been training very long and I think you'd be selling yourself short on muscle gain by only trying to gain 5lbs of muscle this upcoming year, when you could really be gaining 8-10 with a higher surplus if you haven't been training a long time.

The thing that bothers me about Nunez and some of the 3DMJ guys is that they seem very afraid to get any sort of soft in the offseason, which I think hurts their gains. The most impressive size gain I've seen was in Layne Norton, who really became an elite natty after taking some time off and getting a bit soft and really just focusing on throwing around slag iron. Fucker blew up.

I also think it's a bit misleading for Berto to preach staying lean when he gained the majority of his size getting what I consider to be obese. This is what Prof X at Tbagnation refers to as the selective memory of successful bodybuilders, in which they forgot how soft they were when they gained most of their size.
    First, I'm going to enjoy the fruits of my labor so to speak. But I think I can give you more examples of people who stayed lean (obviously not as lean as I am right now) throughout than guys who blew up to a ridiculous size in a relatively short amount of time. I'm talking people I know in real life, not a random collection of internet people from vastly different backgrounds. Yes, the fastest way to gain is to probably gain a shitload of fat for 2 years and I wouldn't mind doing that if I was 18-20, but I'm not and gaining that amount of fat would make me miserable. If I want to get that big, that quick, I'm ever at a point where I want to get that big, I'm just going to buy gear since I have no intentions of ever competing.

I'll also add that knowing how the body works helps putting things into perspective. As a natural, you have a limited rate of protein synthesis, which is variable on an individual basis, so eating a large surplus makes no sense at all. If there's one correlation I've found amongst people, it's the muscle mass to strength ratio. Generally, people around a certain mass, at a certain height and bodyfat % have very slight differences in strength. Strength is the adaptation that allows muscle growth, so that's what I'll use as a means to track progress. I'm in this for a 30 year journey+ and I always give myself objectives that are much lower than what I can do. So 5lbs for this year and the next 3 is attainable and realistic.

Thanks for the comments and advice though, trust me, I listen and incorporate changes. And fuck those front squats lol.

Oh, and yes clean eating is a joke. I regularly incorporate McDonald's into my macros. Result is some indigestion and bloating, that's it.

Do you talk to Antoine V in the gym? What're his workouts like? Does he lift like a pussy?
    I changed gyms since I moved to another city. But he's a nice guy, his workouts aren't anything special, but he lifts heavy as fuck (he's naturally strong) and has perfect form. He trains alone mostly though. I really wonder what someone like DC could do with him, probably make him an olympia winner hehe.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 09-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Little update: all my lifts are up. BW is a little higher, but I've been getting comments from people around me. My 4 month recomp has been insanely productive.

Thing is, haven't been able to diet. I do so much school work and training that I blow by my 2000 calories by 6pm and add in another 500-1000. Going to leave the dieting on the side for a few month. Will continue eating according to needs. I got 100 bars of Labrada Lean body protein bars for 50 cent each, so I got a pretty big calorie stock.

Latest notables:
    145lbs bodyweight at about 7-8%
    295 x 5 squat
    195 x 5 bench
    205 x 5 front squat, no belt
    310 x 5 sumo deadlift, paused, no belt, after squats
    80lbs x 12 DB bench
    85lbs x 8 dips
    25rep wide grip pulls ups full ROM
    170 x 5 incline bench, after 3 x 5 x 160lbs

Everything looking real, real good.

Here are the results of the recomp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wanted to add a little update since it's been a while.

A little after my last post, I had my first med school exams and went down south (Cuba). Came back sick so I missed a few weeks of solid training. That said, I changed my routine up and focused on gaining mass and strength.

I actually wanted to try something very different. So what I did was I took the program which gave me the most gains (Smolov base meso for front squats) and for the other three days of the week, I decided to do upper body work (one push, one pull). So my workouts last about 20-35 mins, but I do them 7 days a week.

The results have been insane. I finally accomplished one of my long time training goals, which was to rep out 100lbs dumbells on the flat DB bench. I did 100lbs x 5 today @ 150lbs - with no help starting the first rep (gained 5lbs of mass, arms, shoulders, back and legs look even better right now). Every lift has gone up quite a bit. I've taken breaks every 4th week from lower body work to rest up.

I'm going to milk my gains right now until I stall or get too fat. Then I'm going to cut back down to 6-7% and go from there again.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 12-04-2011 at 04:21 AM.

House Lannister
    Killing it KRM. I got the 100s up for 5 at my old gym the past week, but I weigh about 15 lbs more than you. .

Could you map out what your training looks like in terms of exercises on the push/pull/days?

DB bench + DB rows
    DB press + Weighted pull ups
    BB bench + chest supported rows

Takes me no time to go through my workouts.

House Lannister
    Sheesh. Whats the volume like.

I would love access to a chest supported row machine.

in 4 update shots.

Good luck with med school, props on facing scholastic challenges and being dynamic in regards to your career. You have been no slouch with your physique either, should be well pleased in the direction you are going with the extreme lean/muscular look.

Impressed with your 2nd hungarian rhapsody vid, did not know you we had such a great pianist on board. I have always been appreciative of Liszt's great works.

Thanks Coke. Been working hard in all aspects of my life, definitely paying off everything is amazing right now.

My progress has been phenomenal as well the last few months, even with a few ups and downs (weekly binge drinking, big exams, massive binge eatings, massive week of drinking and eating in Cuba). Haven't had time to really plan things out, but I did best I could considering the circumstances.

I think you'll be really happy chevelle, I'm looking aesthetic as fuck right now lol. 150lbs wet, but great mass + strength gains for 3 months. Realy gains, none of that fat shit. Took the pic at night, so a bit bloated, look quite a bit leaner in the morning. Will post legs and back eventually, but both looking bigger, better and thicker than last pics.

My program is short in time, but hard as fuck. Trying a bench cycle to see if I can get the bench up, but will return to Dumbells as the physique progress I had doing them has been the best yet for my upper body. For me, deadlifts, DBs, front squats and curls have done everything, just need to find the right tricep exercise.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 01-11-2012 at 11:05 PM.

House Lannister
    Traps are looking huge. Delts+tris look good too. Delt dominant presser?

How's the squat/dead goin?

House Lannister
    are you doing skulls or pjr pullovers?

are you doing skulls or pjr pullovers?
    Nope, going to add them. Any extension kill my elbows.

Traps are looking huge. Delts+tris look good too. Delt dominant presser?

How's the squat/dead goin?
    Was always a tri dominant Presser, but DBs changed that. Front squat and dead both going up. I'm a horrible Sumo deadlifter (30-50lbs lighter than my conventional), but I repped 315 and now doing over 5 reps at 225lbs on the front squat. Deep, no belt.

Video

Smolov week 2, 7 sets of 5 @ 225lbs, 3rd set.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 01-20-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Progress, fuck yeah.

I wonder how I would look at 200lbs, this being 148lbs.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 01-21-2012 at 11:57 PM.

House Lannister
    thick.solid.tight.

miring squatting leverages.

Update, finished another Smolov Base Meso.

Vid of 225lbs x 10 reps @ 150lbs (though I think it's less, will see tommorow morning)

Video

Then, did the following:
    245lbs x 1
    255lbs x 1
    265lbs x 1
    275lbs x 1 (30lbs PR)

30lbs on my front squat in 1 month. LOL. I love this program.

Looking great, good job with the front squats.

Thanks Coke, but I've gotten into some inflammation problems on my left knee lately during my deload week. Hope it heals quickly but there doesn't seem to be any major damage, probably some minor bruising on my ligaments.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 02-05-2012 at 10:01 PM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M View Post
    Thanks Coke, but I've gotten into some inflammation problems on my left knee lately during my deload week. Hope it heals quickly but there doesn't seem to be any major damage, probably some minor bruising on my ligaments.

TK knee sleeves...

So I researched a bit on my knee problem and I was right, it was just inflammation. I took the necessary precautions and even going forward with another Smolov cycle, I successfully healed it. I love being a med student .

I also finished another Smolov cycle. Did 10 x 3 x 255lbs on front squats today. Was heavy as fuck, but I did it and I'm going for a 290-300lbs front squat this week, which is pretty good for my weight. Goal was 315lbs for the summer, which I should get if everything goes well.

Exams are coming up in about 6-7 weeks, so I'm going to be taking some time off from the heavy lifting shit and going to maintain/cut weight for a while. Thinking of doing 3 months of Smolov/6 weeks off mainting or cutting from now on. Gains have been massive on this program.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 02-25-2012 at 04:44 PM.