The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    House Lannister
    300 would be huge dude.

290 tho would be gay.

290 no belt, 300 w/ belt.

225lbs x 3 on the bench this week as well. At the end of my workout. The day after a squat day. Fuck yes. Gained 5lbs this month though. A bit bigger than my profile pic (will post).
    Last edited by K-R-M; 02-25-2012 at 04:48 PM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M View Post
    290 no belt, 300 w/ belt.

225lbs x 3 on the bench this week as well. At the end of my workout. The day after a squat day. Fuck yes. Gained 5lbs this month though. A bit bigger than my profile pic (will post).
    lol, what do you mean 'though?'

Weight gain is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    lol, what do you mean 'though?'

Weight gain is a good thing.
    I'm not complaining, but neither getting cut or gaining weight has ever been a problem. It's always been consistency since I've always either 1. travelled 2. worked as a concert pianist, then consultant 3. been involved in hard science programs (engineering and now med school) or a combination of all of these. Most of my training stretches have been either maintaining or regaining. Like the next 6-8 weeks.

I'm happy with the weight gain, but I just really wanted a 2xBW front squat. Overall strength is up a ton since september.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 02-25-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Also, will play piano for the first time in 6 years in front of an audience this week. Crazy. Pretty nervous about that.

Forgot to mention all my front squats/deads are without a belt.

Did low volume today.

Front squats:
    255 x 5
    275 x 1 (EZ)
    295 x 0

Deadlifts:
    315 x 5 (nothing heavy for today)

Cable pulls

Missed the 295lbs on the front squat (no belt or wraps). The weight intimidated me, so I went in with a loser attitude. Should've went for the easy 285lbs. I'm taking it easy for 1 month (3 consecutive Smolov base mesos), so I'll maintain and shed the extra fat I gained. Will start gaining again in April depending on my exams.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 02-28-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M View Post
    The weight intimidated me, so I went in with a loser attitude.
    This is why you need to scare it back. Yell at it, slap it, throw chalk at it, growl lots.

Then, once everyone at the gym is staring at you, walk away and get a drink of water.

You'll never have to actually lift it. After three or four rounds of this, you will have terrified the weight into submission.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Took a 2 month maintenance break. Still trained, but much less as I had a few bruises I needed to heal + med school had been pretty tough.

I'm doing orthopedics right now and it's been awesome. Too much time spent on arthritis though and not enough on functional anatomy but i figure I'll see more of that as an intern.

Even though I haven't pushed to envelopped lately, I still succeeded on some PRs.

Got 80lbs x 5 on seated DB presses, no help getting the DBs up.
    130lbs x 10 with straps for DB rows.
    Started sumo deadlifting, got 495lbs below the knees on the rack and got 345lbs no chalk or belt from the floor on either. Stopped at 345lbs as I thought I could injure my back with more. Pretty happy with that though since my sumos are usually about 50lbs lower than my conventionals. I'm guessing I'm probably around 400lbs+ on conventionals with belt at 150lbs.

My goals for the summer: 6% bf, heal the back, get my sumo up, strengthen my rotator cuff, get tricep strength up, build a base to start another 3 month smolov in september.
    Long term goals: 1. Health 2. A solid program.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 05-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Ok small update,

I've decided to stop noting my progress in a logbook for the summer, I'll just write significant milestones for a while. I go a lot more by feel. If I feel I can do a leg day after only 1 day of rest, I do it. If I feel I need a week off, I take it. I still go just as hard at the gym, but I feel that as far as programs go, outside of Smolov, this has been the best one I've tried.

I went for a leg day on saturday and returned for another one today. My goal was a bit of front squatting, some back squatting and some close grip lat pulldowns.

Did 225lbs x 20 on back squats, ass to grass, no belt. Felt real good since I started back squatting again only 2 weeks ago. Don't have any goals really, If I succeed at something, I try to add lbs or reps the next time.