The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cut workout need change?

I've gained great mass on the SL 5x5 program. I've started to slow recently, and weights are stuck and not moving up. Therefore i was thinking of keeping these weights the same for 6-8 weeks and slim up a little for summer. I was thinking of adding some cardio to my workout. In addition, i was going to also add a few core exercises to support my compounds.

Program,

A squat 5x5, bench 3x5, row 5x5

B squat 5x5, press 5x5, DL 1x5

Monday + Preacher curls

Wednesday + Crunches

Friday + Dips

10 minutes interval running each workout.

Do you think this would be a suitable program to support weight loss with a good cutting diet? I want to maintain as much mass as possible, but i need to cut down 4-5% BF for it to show, should i keep to the above which has aided in mass gain? Thanks for all suggestions / feedback.
    Last edited by JT111; 04-22-2011 at 03:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How old are you? I am doing a 4 day split with all the Main Movements, and 3 days of cardio and abs everyday, and my lifts are going up and im shedding Fat. I Do Planks for Abs best ab workout ever really helps shed the fat off the stomach.
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

Soilwork addict.
    If you can sustain that type of intensity in a calorie deficit then do it.

I, personally, drop volume and raise the weight because I dont tend to have the energy to go through 5x5 so I end up doing something like 5x3. I have been cutting the last 6 weeks with this mentallity and it has been working out. I havent got any weaker in the main lifts but I have gotten stronger in a few accessory lifts. I have lost around 10 lbs in the last 6 weeks FWIW but I'm errrr was over 20% body fat so I can lose weight a little quicker without catabolizing muscle.

I dont thinkg 5x3 is better during a cut, but its easier when you are low on energy. I ackowledged that I would only maintain strength at best so I work out to do so. If I can maintain with 5x3 what I worked to with 5x5, then why do 5x5?
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Wannabebig Member
    Here's all I need to do to, as an endomorph, to gain strength during a deficit:

Workout 1

Squat 2x5
    Chins 3xF

Workout 2

Bench 2x5
    OHP 2x5

Workout 3

Deadlift 1x5

Quote Originally Posted by Parker 1995 View Post
    I Do Planks for Abs best ab workout ever really helps shed the fat off the stomach.
    Planks spot reduce the mid-section?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Soilwork addict.
    Planks are a horrible exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    If you can sustain that type of intensity in a calorie deficit then do it.

I, personally, drop volume and raise the weight because I dont tend to have the energy to go through 5x5 so I end up doing something like 5x3. I have been cutting the last 6 weeks with this mentallity and it has been working out. I havent got any weaker in the main lifts but I have gotten stronger in a few accessory lifts. I have lost around 10 lbs in the last 6 weeks FWIW but I'm errrr was over 20% body fat so I can lose weight a little quicker without catabolizing muscle.

I dont thinkg 5x3 is better during a cut, but its easier when you are low on energy. I ackowledged that I would only maintain strength at best so I work out to do so. If I can maintain with 5x3 what I worked to with 5x5, then why do 5x5?
    Interesting idea, do you think it may be worth attempting the extra sets though?
    Thanks for your post

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    Planks are a horrible exercise.

That's just plain not true at all! What are basing that off?

The main thing you'll need to do with losing the fat is just focus on your diet. Just make sure you get enough volume and intensity in your workouts so you can maintain that strength.

Planks are great for abs, but planks alone typically won't work for everyone. Combining planks with hanging leg raises, bicycles, oblique work, ab wheel, etc... is a good idea. Gotta work all the parts of your abs.

Quote Originally Posted by colinS3 View Post
    The main thing you'll need to do with losing the fat is just focus on your diet. Just make sure you get enough volume and intensity in your workouts so you can maintain that strength.

Planks are great for abs, but planks alone typically won't work for everyone. Combining planks with hanging leg raises, bicycles, oblique work, ab wheel, etc... is a good idea. Gotta work all the parts of your abs.
    Thanks for help dude just measured at 15.8 guess i have 4% ish still to loose! dropped 2.5% in 3 weeks though so pleased so far, guessing i have 8 weeks to go?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by colinS3 View Post

Just so it's clear, I wasn't saying they were the ONLY ab exercise (although they do activate almost every abdominal and core muscle). I was simply emphatically disagreeing with the statement that planks are a "horrible" exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by NITF View Post
    Just so it's clear, I wasn't saying they were the ONLY ab exercise (although they do activate almost every abdominal and core muscle). I was simply emphatically disagreeing with the statement that planks are a "horrible" exercise.
    Oh don't worry, that post wasn't targeted at anyone in particular. I was just expanding on what people had already said about plank and then I decided to throw in some more exercises. It's all good