Thread: How does this Diet look?

Wannabebig New Member

How does this Diet look?

Hi everyone,

First post but not really a newbie as my brother has been a member on here since 2005/2006... Thought its about time I should register my own account

Ive been on a diet for around 4 weeks or so now, (I've been going to gym for past 6 months, but it has been inconsistent, these 4 weeks, however are going good so far) just wanted to make sure Im on the right track, so would appreciate any input from you guys.

Goal is to lose body fat whilst retaining muscle or very minimal muscle loss... I think Im around the 20% body fat, so theres quite a bit to lose... Weight is around 190lbs

Here is my Diet and Workout schedule:

Monday off Cardio optional
    Tuesday Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps
    Wednesday Cheat Day
    Thursday Power Workout
    Friday Off Cardio Optional
    Saturday Off
    Sunday Chest and Back

Diet, Low Carb Day

Low Carb day meals:
    M1: 50g Oats + 1 Scoop Protein, 30-45 mins later 1 Fried Egg + 80g Beans (1MultiVit + BComplex+1 Fish Oil).
    M2: 100g Chicken + 1 Tblspn Olive Oil + Salad + 1 Tblspn Peanut Butter
    M3: Mixed Fruit + 1 Scoop Protein + (1 B Complex 30 min before training)
    Gym Usually 30 min Cardio as this is my OFF day Meal plan...
    M4: PWO - Half Bagel + 2 Scoop Protein
    M5: 150g Chicken + Salad
    M6: 100g Chicken + 2 Tblspn Olive oil + Salad + 3 Tblspn Peanut Butter. (2 Fish Oil caps before bed)

Macros for low carb;
    Total Calories: 2,295, Fat 110.9g, Carbs 81.3g and Protein 240.8g

Diet, Med Carb day

Med Carb day meals:
    M1: 40g Oats + 1 Scoop Protein, 30-45 mins later 1 fried egg + 100g Beans+ (1MultiVit + BComplex+1 Fish Oil).
    M2: 15g Raisin + 1 Scoop Protein
    M3: 200g chicken + 200g Sweet Potatoes + Salad + (1 B Complex 30 min before training)
    Gym Weight train
    M4: PWO Bagel + 2 Scoop Protein
    M5: 100g Chicken + Salad
    M6: 100g Chicken + Salad + 2Tblspn Olive Oil + 1 Tblspn Peanut Butter + (2 Fish Oil caps before bed).

Macros for low carb;
    Total Calories: 2,472 Fat 98.8g, Carbs 133.3g and Protein 253.2g

Progress:

I started around at 199 lbs and now weigh 193 lbs over three weeks (this was with 2,500 on low carb and 2,650Kcals on Med Carb days). Now Im on the above (2,300 on Low carb and 2,500 on Med Carb).
    Im doing cardio post workout for no more than 20-25 mins, on the days OFF Ill do cardio for 30 mins, or sometimes no cardio at all on OFF days...

Plan:

Im looking to follow this up until I lose the fat and look leaner, once this is done, Ill be heading for a clean Bulk
    So... , is this the most effective way to lose the fat? And should I be able to lose the fat by, say 8-12 weeks?
    Is my approach to cardio right?

Thanks
    Last edited by RlentlesMonster; 06-26-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Banned
    Way too complic ated IMO.

Wannabebig New Member
    So, what would you recommend? I'm open to suggestions

Ps what is complicated?

Banned
    Sorry.... All the numbers and everything were a bit confusing to me, but then i just realized you have the caloric values and macros summarized at the end of the meal plans.

First off, How are you determining which days are "med carb" and "low carb"? Also, I'd make the "low carb" days a bit lower if possible. Maybe go with 10-50g of carbs and most of it coming from veggies. The "med carb" days could then even be a bit higher, and wouldn't hesitate to add more to your pre/post workout meals.

Second, if you are planning to cut down to 10-12% on this without really buildng any muscle in the process are you prepared to end up at around 170lbs?

Depending on your training status and experience, i'd personally go with more of a progressive resistance training program. (Either 4x per week upper/lower, or 3x full body). I'd train just as if I were trying to "bulk" but eat a bit cleaner and aim for <1lb weight loss per week or even just maintanence. Keep the protein high like you have it, and you can play around with the carbs like you've been doing. Fat could also probably be cycled or cut back a bit , especially if you supplement some of you EFAs.

Just my opinions from experience with myself and others, but id much rather "recomp" down to 15% or so and stay around 190, than to do a full on cut down to a leaner 170lbs, and then have a much longer way to build back up. You aren't going to get jacked by summer anyways, and unless you are preparing for a show, you dont need to do things exactly as bodybuilders do.

And as for cardio. I'd cut it out entirely or down to a minimum if possible. Its just going to interfere with your recovery and slow results. If you need to have a greater caloric deficit, just eat less, or walk more. But dont mess around with cardio.

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by RlentlesMonster View Post
    ....Thanks
    You might find yourself having to restrict your calories more than previously anticipated. Your initial weightloss is alot of water and depletion of muscle glycogen---not so much actual fat. I'd say with the amount of calories you are eating, you might plateau rather quickly. Carb/calorie cycling may help with that for an extra week but I dont think you are actually eating that large of a deficit. Everyone is different though, so just stick with it until you dont see results.

PS, carb cycling is not really necessary at 20% bf, but if you can manage it easily there is no reason not to. Just dont let it get in the way of maintaining a caloric deficit. I dont like to carb cycle because of the impact on my bodyweight it has. It makes it to hard to trend fat loss using a scale because water retention varies with carb intake.

Those are my only criticisms.
    Last edited by 4g64fiero; 06-26-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by RlentlesMonster View Post
    Hi everyone,

First post but not really a newbie as my brother has been a member on here since 2005/2006... Thought its about time I should register my own account

Ive been on a diet for around 4 weeks or so now, (I've been going to gym for past 6 months, but it has been inconsistent, these 4 weeks, however are going good so far) just wanted to make sure Im on the right track, so would appreciate any input from you guys.

Goal is to lose body fat whilst retaining muscle or very minimal muscle loss... I think Im around the 20% body fat, so theres quite a bit to lose... Weight is around 190lbs

Here is my Diet and Workout schedule:

Monday off Cardio optional
    Tuesday Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps
    Wednesday Cheat Day
    Thursday Power Workout
    Friday Off Cardio Optional
    Saturday Off
    Sunday Chest and Back

Diet, Low Carb Day

Low Carb day meals:
    M1: 50g Oats + 1 Scoop Protein, 30-45 mins later 1 Fried Egg + 80g Beans (1MultiVit + BComplex+1 Fish Oil).
    M2: 100g Chicken + 1 Tblspn Olive Oil + Salad + 1 Tblspn Peanut Butter
    M3: Mixed Fruit + 1 Scoop Protein + (1 B Complex 30 min before training)
    Gym Usually 30 min Cardio as this is my OFF day Meal plan...
    M4: PWO - Half Bagel + 2 Scoop Protein
    M5: 150g Chicken + Salad
    M6: 100g Chicken + 2 Tblspn Olive oil + Salad + 3 Tblspn Peanut Butter. (2 Fish Oil caps before bed)

Macros for low carb;
    Total Calories: 2,295, Fat 110.9g, Carbs 81.3g and Protein 240.8g

Diet, Med Carb day

Med Carb day meals:
    M1: 40g Oats + 1 Scoop Protein, 30-45 mins later 1 fried egg + 100g Beans+ (1MultiVit + BComplex+1 Fish Oil).
    M2: 15g Raisin + 1 Scoop Protein
    M3: 200g chicken + 200g Sweet Potatoes + Salad + (1 B Complex 30 min before training)
    Gym Weight train
    M4: PWO Bagel + 2 Scoop Protein
    M5: 100g Chicken + Salad
    M6: 100g Chicken + Salad + 2Tblspn Olive Oil + 1 Tblspn Peanut Butter + (2 Fish Oil caps before bed).

Macros for low carb;
    Total Calories: 2,472 Fat 98.8g, Carbs 133.3g and Protein 253.2g

Progress:

I started around at 199 lbs and now weigh 193 lbs over three weeks (this was with 2,500 on low carb and 2,650Kcals on Med Carb days). Now Im on the above (2,300 on Low carb and 2,500 on Med Carb).
    Im doing cardio post workout for no more than 20-25 mins, on the days OFF Ill do cardio for 30 mins, or sometimes no cardio at all on OFF days...

Plan:

Im looking to follow this up until I lose the fat and look leaner, once this is done, Ill be heading for a clean Bulk
    So... , is this the most effective way to lose the fat? And should I be able to lose the fat by, say 8-12 weeks?
    Is my approach to cardio right?

Thanks
    It looks plenty presentable to me. If it's working (and it seems it is?) then I wouldn't take any advice even if it's given. I read something from Chris Aceto once where he talked about how everytime someone hires a diet coach they immediately alter the clients diet, even if it's working perfectly. Maybe just to make them feel like they're getting something for their money, or maybe to make themselves feel smart. But the point is the majority of a successful diet comes from an individual finding a method that suits them, and there are hundreds of methods that are correct. Somebody could suggest something that "on paper" would be better, but my opinion is just that of mr acetos, don't ******* touch it if it's doing it's job.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    It looks plenty presentable to me. If it's working (and it seems it is?) then I wouldn't take any advice even if it's given. I read something from Chris Aceto once where he talked about how everytime someone hires a diet coach they immediately alter the clients diet, even if it's working perfectly. Maybe just to make them feel like they're getting something for their money, or maybe to make themselves feel smart. But the point is the majority of a successful diet comes from an individual finding a method that suits them, and there are hundreds of methods that are correct. Somebody could suggest something that "on paper" would be better, but my opinion is just that of mr acetos, don't ******* touch it if it's doing it's job.
    Great post. The first part of a diet is to know what you're eating and how much of it. You seem to know both and you're losing weight at a normal rate, so it sounds like you know what you're doing. Once the fatloss stops, you can cut calories until it stops again.

Wannabebig New Member
    Sorry, I kind of forgot about this thread... just been so busy with work and working on my cars when I have free time

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Sorry.... All the numbers and everything were a bit confusing to me, but then i just realized you have the caloric values and macros summarized at the end of the meal plans.

First off, How are you determining which days are "med carb" and "low carb"? Also, I'd make the "low carb" days a bit lower if possible. Maybe go with 10-50g of carbs and most of it coming from veggies. The "med carb" days could then even be a bit higher, and wouldn't hesitate to add more to your pre/post workout meals.

On my training days it would be Medium Carb and on rest/non training days Low Carb... Yeh, the plan was to use around 90g of carbs to start with, until the weight stalls, then cut carbs/calories slowly as I progressed with the wieght loss...

Second, if you are planning to cut down to 10-12% on this without really buildng any muscle in the process are you prepared to end up at around 170lbs?

This is the problem, I'm 50/50 at the moment... I don't want to lose too much muscle and look skinny but I also don't like my body fat% I hate being pear shaped/having a bit of a belly..

Depending on your training status and experience, i'd personally go with more of a progressive resistance training program. (Either 4x per week upper/lower, or 3x full body). I'd train just as if I were trying to "bulk" but eat a bit cleaner and aim for <1lb weight loss per week or even just maintanence. Keep the protein high like you have it, and you can play around with the carbs like you've been doing. Fat could also probably be cycled or cut back a bit , especially if you supplement some of you EFAs.

Again, as above, it's going to be about patience, isn't it always

Just my opinions from experience with myself and others, but id much rather "recomp" down to 15% or so and stay around 190, than to do a full on cut down to a leaner 170lbs, and then have a much longer way to build back up. You aren't going to get jacked by summer anyways, and unless you are preparing for a show, you dont need to do things exactly as bodybuilders do.

And as for cardio. I'd cut it out entirely or down to a minimum if possible. Its just going to interfere with your recovery and slow results. If you need to have a greater caloric deficit, just eat less, or walk more. But dont mess around with cardio.
    Thanks, definately good advice and options, I can think about here...

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    You might find yourself having to restrict your calories more than previously anticipated. Your initial weightloss is alot of water and depletion of muscle glycogen---not so much actual fat. I'd say with the amount of calories you are eating, you might plateau rather quickly. Carb/calorie cycling may help with that for an extra week but I dont think you are actually eating that large of a deficit. Everyone is different though, so just stick with it until you dont see results.

True, I'm going to sound stupid, but thinking about it last night, my maintenance vs this "cutting" diet, as clean as it is, I actually think I'm eating over my "normal" maintenance and the weight loss is probably water and depletion of muscle glycogen. (The loss is probably how I got my body used to slightly more calories in the first couple of weeks and then started to reduce the carbs/calories... So, yeah if I don't sort something out then I'm most probably heading down to shutting down metabolism/plateau)

PS, carb cycling is not really necessary at 20% bf, but if you can manage it easily there is no reason not to. Just dont let it get in the way of maintaining a caloric deficit. I dont like to carb cycle because of the impact on my bodyweight it has. It makes it to hard to trend fat loss using a scale because water retention varies with carb intake.

As above, I'm going to change things and come back to carb cycling a bit later

Those are my only criticisms.
    Thanks for the input, cleared things up a bit..

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Yeh, that's my thinking too, but there's always room for a 2nd opinion and optimising further (even although, I don't need to be thinking about optimisation at my body fat level, I just like to look ahead and see if there is a better/quicker :P alternative). As you say, it comes from an individuals finding, that's exactly what I'm going to experiment more with... I know of a slightly better route that I can adopt for better weight loss (for me) but, that is after the advice that I've got on here and again I'll still need to confirm the new one on here too before I dive into it. How can I describe it.... It's more of a safety/precaution approach that I'm trying to take, if that meakes it clear? Thanks fo the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M View Post
    Great post. The first part of a diet is to know what you're eating and how much of it. You seem to know both and you're losing weight at a normal rate, so it sounds like you know what you're doing. Once the fatloss stops, you can cut calories until it stops again.
    Yeah, thats the main thing, I'm going to switch things a bit and see how it goes from there... Thanks