The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

need help with shirted bench

Here's a take on my last attempt and seeking advice on what to do to correct the problem.
    Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cgek5d-cJg

as you can see I have that "second gear". I been following the WSB method (DE/ME bench). I bring the bar right below the sternum (respectfully abiding USPA rules) and the last third of the press, I flare at the top. one of the respected lifters at that venue told me he had the exact same issue in the past and suggested low end board work with chains has helped him a lot. I am looking for any solid advice so I can break my 500 cherry at the next meet!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

From what I saw, you dump to touch instead of keeping your elbows under the bar. That puts you in a crappy position to press. You get some initial pop, but aren't in the groove for the shirt to carry through the whole lift. The bar stalls, and you work the bar into the correct grove to finish it. You're getting downward motion during that. How often to you use boards vs touch in training?
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I would do 1-1 1/2 brd straight weight on my last 2 training sessions come to meet day. But 10 weeks out I would normally go off a 2-brd utilizing band/chains.
    also sent you email through your website

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    if it were me, I'd ditch board work for a while.... your lockout was strong.

I like to work on timing the pull to touch. Before the shirt locks up you need to start pulling the bar in. This keeps the momentum of the weight going so you don't have to fight the shirt as much to touch. This could help what the above poster spotted with you breaking form to touch.

If you do end up in a bad position in the bottom like you did on this press you can sometimes recover from it if you press it a little slower. You'll have to muscle it a bit more, but it'll keep you from having to get under the weight half way up or just dump it over your face like I do when I miss my groove like that.

either way, you looked strong and I'm sure that you'll get that weight up soon.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Louie wrote in an article that all of the benching off boards teaches you to only press for a certain length of time. He suggested doing more full range work.

If you want to overload then go full range in your shirt plus 2-3 sets of chains. It will force you to learn to touch lighter weights and still overload the lockout.

I also tend to "2 stage" shirted benches and the full range vs. chains helped. Also, make sure you are driving to lockout on your speed work and not just "throwing" the weight up and reversing it. I picked that up from Vincent's log and it has helped me learn to press the entire way through the lift.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

5 sets of 2 every other week full range with 85%. Do it until you can touch. Do raw board work in between those weeks.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

im working with a brand new katana. heres a sample program that just came off the top of my mind.

week 1: 5 sets of 2 as low as I comfortably can (this workout is solely to break in the chest plate per what Ken Anderson suggested)
    week 2: medium grip raw w/monster mini's [3x3]
    week 3: 5 sets of 2 (85%) taking it low as I can
    week 4: floor press medium grip [3x3]
    week 5: full range 1RM using 100lb of chain (equaling 500+ up top)

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to "pulling the bar down" cause I fear it will crush me. My spotter doesn't feel comfortable picking up 500+ pounds off me if I were to dump the bar low. Is there any video or article (like on Elite FTS) that discusses this topic? Would love to learn more of that
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 06-08-2011 at 11:00 PM.

That is the exact reason I prefer to do most of my shirt work inside a power rack with the bars set to catch the weight if I flatten out. Not to many people are going to be able to pull 400-500 lbs off of you if things go south. Especially one spotter handing off.
    Last edited by blong; 06-09-2011 at 04:15 AM.