The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

another vid of my power clean form for critique

the last time I posted i received some criticism and studied up and hopefully I have improved my form, but i'll let you guys be the judge if you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-zr-jm4jQ

thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I would recommend you put the power cleans to the side for now and start with Clean High Pulls & Clean Pulls. They're much easier to learn & will help you get the proper sequencing of movement.

how would i work those lifts into an SS style workout? Normally the power clean would be on the non DL days, would it be possible to do these lifts on the same day? I usually add pull ups into each workout as well if that matters

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by dasfonzie View Post
    how would i work those lifts into an SS style workout?
    the sub in Starting Strength is pendlay rows, 3 sets of 5 with the same weight across.

You could always try hang power cleans. Check out Glenn Pendlay's videos for advice on form
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Like the others said you need to break it down into parts. High pulls, and front squats will be important for you. You have trouble keeping the bar close to your body when performing the lift, fire your hips and the bar should start going up close to your body and then drop under it, also you need to shoot your elbows up more after catching it. do a bunch of reps with the just the bar or a broomstick, thats how most learn.

Like the others said you need to break it down into parts. High pulls, and front squats will be important for you. You have trouble keeping the bar close to your body when performing the lift, fire your hips and the bar should start going up close to your body and then drop under it, also you need to shoot your elbows up more after catching it. do a bunch of reps with the just the bar or a broomstick, thats how most learn.

Banned
    Ya I'd drop the power cleans for a while. There are other more important things to address. Also, I'd ask why you are doing power cleans. If you don't ever plan on competing in weightlifting , your time is better spent on other things.

1)How's your deadlift? Video would be nice.
    2)are you front squatting? You don't look like you have the flexibility to complete a clean safely.
    3)if your intent on doing cleans, break the movement down to simpler pieces(deadlift,rdl,power shrug,clean pull,high pull, etc)

I personally don't think full cleans and even doing a lot of power cleans has enough rewards for the risks. Lower body power can be built better with deadlifts, and upper body power can be built better with a combination of pulls, shrugs, and hang cleans used sparingly.

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    If you do want some pointers on your clean:

Your backside isn't low enough at the start. It should be leg drive beginning the jerk
    Your arms aren't perpendicular to the floor they're slanting back towards the legs. You want them straight down and locked out
    Your head is too far forward over the bar at the start. Move back while your butt is back, with your head over the bar looking forwards.
    The bar isn't travelling close enough to the body during the clean. the path of least resistance is closest to your body and centre of gravity.
    You straighten the back too early, and pull with it too much. The legs should drive the accelaration of the jerk, the back starightens in a fluid motion with the momentum of the bar.
    You don't take the strain and keep the shoulders back before starting
    You jerk with the arms too much during the movement. the elbows should be back and assisting the momentum of the bar being driven upwards, pulling the bar in to the body.
    Your feet shouldn't come off the floor. You end up on your toes at the fully extended position. My WL coach used to say this was the point where the floor was furthest from the bar; i.e. you're pushing the floor away from the bar not the bar into the air. Grnated with light weights it's easy for this to happen, but there's nothing as bad as having absolutely no solid base with a heavy barbell flying through the air.
    The bar is coming too far away from the body during the second pahse of the clean. Remember to keep it close.
    The bar ends too high and your elbows are too low in the top position. When receiving the bar, you already have it at the top position... you should be dipping to receive not pulling up with the arms. the arms here pull the bar round as you dip to receive, you should not pull up the bar.

This is what I would make sure of when doing the clean

1. At the bottom ensure you sit into the floor, and the arms are at 90 degrees to the floor.
    2. Pull the shoulders and head up, take the strain of the bar in the legs, shoulders, arms and back should be straight or slightly arches back.
    3. When beginning the drive do not dip first, keep the arms straight and drive with the legs directly up. Keep the back at the same angle to the floor.
    4. At the top pull the back straight with the momentum, and drive the floor away with the toes.
    5. At the second stage of the clean the bar is jerked with the body extension and from the thighs. The elbows should be kept back and during the dip driven around the bar. Dip to the receiving position, do not pull the bar up to it. The arms should pull the bar bar.
    6. Regain with the legs.

During the movement the head should be kept up and you face forward. Do not allow the back to extend or the shoulders to drop. And do not pull with an explosive back movement. The whole 3 parts (drive, second drive and regain) should make one smooth movement with the bar staying as close to the body as possible. the whole movement should make an inverted 'J' shape when viewed from the side. /the bar wants to travel in a straight line from the ground to the top position.

Don't fret there's loads to remember on this movement. A C&J is a very fine tuned movement, the clean taking the most practice, and it takes a lot of practice (and if I'm honest a decent coach).

can't find any side shot videos myself, but if you want to see absolutely perfect form on this, search for my favourite lifter of all time - the Bulgarian Georgi Markov (Galabin is also superb to watch).

thank you for the detailed advice! I think after each workout I'm just going to practice the motions with the empty bar for a few sets and record and analyze some more.

In the mean time I think I'll sub in Pendlay Rows into my actual workout