The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Leg Drive

Leg Drive

My leg drive is just inconsistent as all get out. I've tried just about every combination of knees wide/close, feet flat/on my toes, just doesn't seem to be doing much for me, as I don't noticed any difference. I've watched several videos on leg drive from reputable lifters on youtube, and attempted to mimic them as closely as I could. I know heels up/down is according to federation, but what have ya'll done/how'd you get the most out of leg drive on the bench?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i good tip ive heard before is get your bench all set up like you normally would, and then have your training partner grip the bench right at your shoulders and then using leg drive try to drive your shoulders into his forearms. and then you can work on position and stuff and see what works best for you, as well as getting feedback from your training partner.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Start leg driving as soon as the bar gets in you hands. Most wai till they touch. Are you wearing a belt?
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Im not as experienced as most of these guys but what i find is i build pressure on my heels as im pulling myself through the bench so the pressure is constant from very begining to the very end of the lift thats just me.
    5'8 195lbs(5/4/12) start weight 118lbs.

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)
    Deadlift 545 (raw) (3/31/12)

Total 1315

Training log!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Start leg driving as soon as the bar gets in you hands. Most wai till they touch. Are you wearing a belt?
    This is a major point

When guys drive their chest and belly up into the bar as its coming down it'll make a big difference.

Lot of people confuse leg drive with trying to heave the bar.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Yeah, Scott and Trav said it perfectly. To get in the right position, imagine driving your hips so hard you're getting balls deep (hope you're getting the reference, if not, that's too bad for you). That's the way I explain it where most are like, aha, I get it. Squeeze those glutes super hard and drive the hips up before you take the weight. Some people think I relax on the descent to get my crazy leg drive, but I don't. I just explode so violently that it causes even more drive as I press.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 06-13-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Yeah, Scott and Trav said it perfectly. To get in the right position, imagine driving your hips so hard you're getting balls deep (hope you're getting the reference, if not, that's too bad for you). That's the way I explain it where most are like, aha, I get it. Squeeze those glutes super hard and drive the hips up before you take the weight. Some people think I relax on the descent to get my crazy leg drive, but I don't. I just explode so violently that it causes even more drive as I press.
    Awesome analogy and a very helpful post.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

ďPersistence Persistence.Ē - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Banned
    The key for me was pressing with my legs before I unracked the bar. If you unrack the bar with your legs in a lax position, there is no way you are going to get leg drive.

Thanks a ton guys, yeah Vin I got the reference, haha. I think one major issue with me is the fact that my legs are completely relaxed while taking the bar, then at the press call I attempt to explode through starting leg drive. I'm going to be working on starting leg drive from the beginning. Thanks a ton guys!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    Mark, here is a visual of what I do...granted I am not the greatest bencher ever, but it is all relative. My bench can swing as much as 30 pounds if my form is off.

Right before I unrack the bar at about the 33 second mark, you can clearly see my legs are pushing into the floor. When you unrack the bar, it should feel like a lot of the burden of the weight is actually being carried by your legs. It is very obvious if you had a successful unrack or not. Another thing that helped me tremendously was setting up with my head just barely on the bench, so when going to unrack the bar, it is more of a push press off the rack then actually pulling it out. Just something else to try.

Last edited by mchicia1; 06-13-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks a ton for the vid man. I have been working on getting higher on the bench so that my shoulders don't rotate quite as much while unracking the weight, it's helped a lot.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

The concept is not pushing the feet to the floor.
    Try dong this: Lay flat on the bench, and donít un rack the bar; position you top of your head right below the bar; place your flat feet con the floor, and push your body through the bench horizontally with the strength of your legs. Youíll notice that you will end with your pecs right below the bar, where your hair of your head was before.
    Well, that is leg drive.
    Whey you have a loaded bar on your hand, by simple physics, the force of your legs pushing your body horizontally up the bench, will be transferred vertically to help you with your lift.

Hope itīs clear.

Definitely clear. Last week I benched focusing more on my leg drive, and setting up like a few have said here, getting leg drive BEFORE taking the weight, and in all honesty, it felt badass. I could have hit my current PR for 2 it seemed, I smoked it for 1 as where the last time I did that weight it was a grinder. Definitely feel the difference.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Definitely clear. Last week I benched focusing more on my leg drive, and setting up like a few have said here, getting leg drive BEFORE taking the weight, and in all honesty, it felt badass. I could have hit my current PR for 2 it seemed, I smoked it for 1 as where the last time I did that weight it was a grinder. Definitely feel the difference.
    Thats awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Thatís absolutely true, and itís a fantastic advance for you.
    The only other thing I would like to add, is that depending on your "size & length" and according to IPF rules, where you cant lift your ass from the bench, it is a good a idea to open your legs wide, so that the leg drive wonít leave a gap between your ass and the bench.
    But thatís only if some of you guys intend to compete.

Great thread!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Balls deep......... I wish I said that lol. That's exactly right though. I may quote that for 2-3 years
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Balls deep......... I wish I said that lol. That's exactly right though. I may quote that for 2-3 years
    Scott, I was quoted saying that in a bench article in Muscle and Fitness. Didn't tell my parents about that issue.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo