The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

no ketone breath or traces of ketones in urine, why am i not in ketosis?

I stopped carbing up a little over 65 hrs ago. I am sure i haven't had more than 10g of carbs a day, my fat is making up 75% everyday. I am not getting that much water, about 10 cups (16oz cups) a day. Is it possible I am in ketosis if i haven't showed any symptoms of it? I dont even show traces of ketones, and my breath hasnt smelled at any point for the 3 weeks i have been on this diet. I only showed traces of ketones the first week, but now there are no traces eventhough im not getting much water to dillute my urine. Im doing the carb ups exactly how lyle says.

Could saw palmetto, l-lysine, or xenadrine cause me not to be in ketosis? I didn't want to do cardio because it burnes mucle, but will i maintan more muscle in the long run if i just do the cardio and get into ketosis which is a muscle sparing state? All my lifts have gone up since I have been on the ckd, they are progressing better than at any time in my life. I dont see why im not showing any signs of ketosis.

Its frustrating.
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ecoli die
    Are your calories high enough? Ketones are a fuel source for your muscles and it might be possible that your muscles are burning up all the ketones? Not sure if that's realistic or not though.

And 1 session of cardio won't burn a significant amount of muscle IMO.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

5% below my bmr on monday, 10% below all other days except carb up.

SKD ?

And why anti-CKD? I am having good results and (like the_hall) my lifts are going up too. Hmmm?
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

I prefer a TKD to a CKD because it works with any lifting routine, and you don't need to do the depletion workout.

I'm also an idiot, and would go overboard carbing up.

If you are under 20g carbs (are you SURE?) and you are 25% protein, 75% fat, you should be in ketosis within 48 hours or so. Don't worry.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Im going to stay with the ckd for a little while. From most of the stuff i have read it should work well for losing fat and retaining mass. I was actually at the library today looking for both lyle and dans books, but they didnt have them. I might try a tkd or skd in the future when i want to cut up again.

Paul, unless the labels are wrong i shouldn't be getting anywhere close to 20g of carbs. The only carbs i get are 4 a day from fiber and maybe a maximum of 7 more from my designer and i believe my baloni has a carb per slice. That is 11 per day max. Should i shorten my carb ups maybe? i have been going for 48hrs, if i shorten this should i eat the same amount just shorten the period over which i consume them?

Im going to try and get lyle or dans book soon. Ive been reading his journals and many of lyles articles, so my ratios and stuff should be perfect. Only thing i did wrong on the carb up was i didn't spread my fat out over as many meals as i should, i kinda ate 34g at the last minute because i had to work all day and forgot to pack a good fat source.

Hallow, on a ckd i have been using a different workout on monday and tuesday. Basically regular training in the 6-8 rep range, i think i got the exact routine from lyles journals. It sounds like you are suggesting monday and tuesday should be depletion workouts? From what i have gathered, lyle says that monday and tuesday should be heavy training days, that is what he did i believe. THe only thing i am doing differently is doing my push day monday, and pull and legs tuesday for no other reason than I would rather retain more mass in my upper body than lower. Im just making sure the parts that are most important to me are done monday. Should i be doing legs monday though, the squats might help me get into ketosis faster.

I actually like the CKD ... except for the first carb up day. BAM! By midday I want to fall over from lethargy (which several people have attributed to a seratonin surge). I sleep less (perhaps cuz less seratonin) and I don't have terrible cravings. AND - like I said before - my strength has gone up on several lifts although I don't have the energy reserves to do the higher rep ranges with it. All in all - I can't complain. But I think I might have my cholesterol tested in the future to determine if a CKD is creating any problems.
    Size is SEXY!

My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Hall - it is very possible you are in ketosis and just don't know it.

You might want to shorten the carbup.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I do my depletion Sat. morning and start having sugary carbs afterwards. But later at night and Sunday til noon, I have mostly slow burning carbs like wheat bread and brown rice. Then Mon. and Tues., I do my two day split to used up all the stored glucose. Then I try to squeeze in about 2 cardio sessions within the week. My question is, I'm seeing results but slowly, is it my body or my routine? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Why hot chnage your ratios to 85% fat and 15% pro?
    This will help with the transition.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by Maki Riddington
    On the first day I have been doing 80% fat (monday) but I dont want to get protien too low. However if the higher f/p ratio helps me get into ketosis faster, it will probably spare more muscle wont it?

Paul, if i make the carb up 36 hrs, then should i eat the same number of calories and carbs as i would on a 48 hr carb up? Should I eat all the carbs and calories from day 2 over a span of 12 hrs, instead of 24, or should i cut all the numbers in half too?

Also, what do you all think about doing cardio on wed, would it be worth it, or would it lead to too much muscle loss.

another thing to run by you guys, in his faq lyle says to do 10 min of cardio before and after the workout to hasten fat loss (and get into ketosis i assume). i dont see how cardio right after my workout will do me any good, since i am already in a catabolic state. wont this just lead to muscle breakdown? im thinking about doing the pre-workout 10 minute cardio, then just train and get my shake (26g designer, with 45g fat from whipping cream). THen i might just do 10-20 minutes of light cardio monday evening, i just dont see how cardio right after training without a shake can be any good if i want to retain muscle.

Originally posted by Maki Riddington

How would changing your f/p ratios induce ketosis faster? My understanding is that ketosis is induced in the absence of carbs...not carbs AND protein. What am I missing here?
    Size is SEXY!

Too much protein can keep you out of ketoland.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.