The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Squats+Oly shoes=knee pain

Hello everyone. I recently got a pair of Do-Wins for squatting. I've used them twice now and after both sessions my knees hurt. Is this normal? If so how long could it take to get used to the shoes? I haven't measured the heel but if the pain stays would it help to shave the heel a little?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It isn't normal. If the pain is severe seek medical attention. Could be a muscle imbalance or form issue.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Could be a muscle imbalance or form issue.
    What type of shoe were you using before?
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Wannabebig New Member

Olympic Shoes = good!

I was an elite Olympic Weightlifter for years winning the Nationals and 2004 Olympic Trials. Throughout my career I haven't heard of Olym Shoes causing knee pain. If you sent me a video I could give you a critique on your technique. Like the other person said, it may be a "form" issue. Here's a link of some good lifting and I'm the one in the grey shirt and black shorts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_rzgYsi50

Those shoes cause you to squat in a way that uses more quad and therefore places greater stress on the knees. If you have knee issues I suggest you get Converse Chucks or the like with a flat sole and learn the proper form for the box squat. This style of squatting places virtually no pressure on the knees.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I am a raw squatter and always liked chucks better. I tried olympic shoes and never felt any benefit. I find it easier to sit back and down with chucks and much more stable.

Weird, oly shoes alleviated knee/quad pain when I started using them. Do-Wins do generally have a exaggerated heel though, that could be a problem.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Wannabebig Member
    I have used Chuck's for the last 7 years and never had knee problems with those. But I'm getting into single-ply squatting and wasn't too sure about depth, so that's why I got the Do-Wins. Although both sessions with these shoes were raw. So should I re-learn with the box? I'm going to give it a few more tries and if the pain is still there I'm going back to my Chuck's.

Do you carry the bar high or low on your back?
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

I have had many guys convert to a Olympic shoe and never heard of knee pain. I'm betting its coincidental but everyone is different and they may give you Issues. try them for a month before you make a decision.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I went from chucks to boots and have lost any knee pain plus feel more stable in my squats, idk what it was, just a decision I made one day to try it out and it worked for me.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    I'd say I have the bar about midway, not high not low. So I squatted yesterday, my quads are not sore but my glutes are, nothing really happening with the hams either. We'll see how this turns around.

About 2 years on chucks for everything in the gym for me. No complaints. I can feel every part of my foot pressure through em.
    "There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy. " - Mark Rippetoe

My 5/3/1 journal

Quote Originally Posted by Ripe1 View Post
    I have used Chuck's for the last 7 years and never had knee problems with those. But I'm getting into single-ply squatting and wasn't too sure about depth, so that's why I got the Do-Wins. Although both sessions with these shoes were raw. So should I re-learn with the box? I'm going to give it a few more tries and if the pain is still there I'm going back to my Chuck's.
    I guess that if you decided to change yor Chucks, is because a balance issue.
    The key point here is your style (and suit). Do you suqat regular or wide? If your style is regular, the Do wins will go fine with you.
    Chuck´s are excellent for DL and Box Squatting, but no good for competition squat in regular stances, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripe1 View Post
    I'd say I have the bar about midway, not high not low. So I squatted yesterday, my quads are not sore but my glutes are, nothing really happening with the hams either. We'll see how this turns around.
    Also always try going low on every rep. The best way to protect a knee is going bellow parallel.
    Keep squatting with the new shoes; you’ll probably need to get used to them.
    In my case knees tend to have life on their own, and sometimes they crack on humid days, others they will complain but generally they are OK.
    At 43 I’ve learned to "hear" the knees every time I get into the gym. If they complain I won´t go hard on them.
    Work a lot of stretching and add some unilateral movements (like step-ups or Bulgarian split squats) to your routine. They are wonderful at stabilizing the knee.

lol weird didn't notice this thread when I posted mine..

I've been squatting in oly shoes for a little over a year now, and up until recently had no problems. Not sure exactly what caused it but the past training cycle I had all of a sudden my knee started bugging me, and my 2nd attempt at the meet it really hurt (been dropping weight since November so that might have something to do with it). From some suggestions in my thread I switched back to squatting in chucks with a wider stance focusing on sitting back more (in oly shoes I usually drop pretty fast straight down to try and pop out of the hole fast). My hip started bugging me, but very very little knee pain.
    I'm weak now, but not for long

Wannabebig Member
    On Friday I did some squatting with and without the box, no pain from those. Tomorrow is a heavier day so that should give a more realistic idea. As some have suggested looks to be more of getting used to the shoes than anything else, hopefully.

I am a thrower and I have been using my throwing shoes when I lift. I have a pair of mizunos, completely flat bottom and their hard on the bottom, but their not raised, been working great for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Fire View Post
    lol weird didn't notice this thread when I posted mine..

I've been squatting in oly shoes for a little over a year now, and up until recently had no problems. Not sure exactly what caused it but the past training cycle I had all of a sudden my knee started bugging me, and my 2nd attempt at the meet it really hurt (been dropping weight since November so that might have something to do with it). From some suggestions in my thread I switched back to squatting in chucks with a wider stance focusing on sitting back more (in oly shoes I usually drop pretty fast straight down to try and pop out of the hole fast). My hip started bugging me, but very very little knee pain.
    Assistive gear can dramatically impact the style and performance of the squat. If you're competing in a WPO affiliate, than you may want to use a wide, hip-driven squat to take full advantage of the gear you're using.
    An Olympic style squat/regular performed correctly aligns the joints on top of each other, creating greater neural drive, and making it safer for the conective tissue than te wide stance.
    If you are sitting back in a wider stance, keeping the ankle perpendicular to the floor will make the hip move more.
    I insist on working a lot of mobility drills. Lack of mobility in one joint, will make hyper mobiltity in an other joint of a kinetic chain. All movements happen from simultaneous rotation that occur in all joints involved in the studied movement (squat).

In terms of shoes I use the adidas Goodyear with a smooth heel:

This is NOT an oly shoe!

Quote Originally Posted by harrissport View Post
    I was an elite Olympic Weightlifter for years winning the Nationals and 2004 Olympic Trials. Throughout my career I haven't heard of Olym Shoes causing knee pain. If you sent me a video I could give you a critique on your technique. Like the other person said, it may be a "form" issue. Here's a link of some good lifting and I'm the one in the grey shirt and black shorts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_rzgYsi50
    I think I'm in love with the chick in the blue. Lol

Wannabebig Member
    Heavyish squatting yesterday and no knee pain today. Except from my crappy wrapping....