Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossfit

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    ATG does = ass to grass.

Question for Tom or whoever...

I went to that site. Really cool site. I could still train the way I have been and add in some "metcons" 2-3 times a week... How bad do you think metcons would screw with recovery using a 4x a week Juggernaut Template?

I'm guessing the easiest way is to throw one into my training and find out
    I've been doing this. I have 2 max effort days, a repetiton day, and a dynamic day. Sort of westsideish layout. But ive thrown in one crossfit day. I also do a metcon on my dynamic and rep day at the end of the workout. I just take a few movements I want to work on and create my own metcon. For example, on my dynamic lower day, I might do 3 rounds of 10 OH squats followed by a 200 meter sprint. Just whatever I can think of. It keeps things interesting, increases my gpp, and still fits into the workout I'm doing that day. I think it's working great.

Crossfit alone might not be so great, bit if you find a way to incorporate some of their stuff into your own programing, I think it has huge benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    I've been doing this. I have 2 max effort days, a repetiton day, and a dynamic day. Sort of westsideish layout. But ive thrown in one crossfit day. I also do a metcon on my dynamic and rep day at the end of the workout. I just take a few movements I want to work on and create my own metcon. For example, on my dynamic lower day, I might do 3 rounds of 10 OH squats followed by a 200 meter sprint. Just whatever I can think of. It keeps things interesting, increases my gpp, and still fits into the workout I'm doing that day. I think it's working great.

Crossfit alone might not be so great, bit if you find a way to incorporate some of their stuff into your own programing, I think it has huge benefits.
    With all due respect, CF did not invent circuit training or met-cons. People who add weights for conditioning, cardio, or "GPP" into their training programming are not necessarily doing anything Crossfit or even Crossfit-related.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Good point.

I have no intention of arguing on the Internet, so this is me telling some of you what we do at my crossfit gym. Just based on a lot of the comments, I can tell a lot of you really don't know what a typical crossfit day consists of. There is much more to it than the WOD and there are reasons why things are done a specific way. As Alex said, most of us want to get better at Crossfit. I certainly do. The people that surround me there are the fittest and strongest I know. Strong meaning 500+ dead lifters, 400+ squatters, and 300+ benchers. Many of them can also run long distance or compete in triathlons.

We do plenty of dead hang pull ups. On the flipside, crossfit preaches functional strength. Kipping is a technique used for power and explosiveness. It's not a deadhang pullup and was never intended to be. Aside from being able to move the weight a bit easier, dead hang strength has very little carry-over to kipping technique and stamina.

If you were stranded hanging from a cliff or tree branch would you say "I need to pull myself up to save my life, but I'd better do it DEAD HANG!". If you're knocked to the ground in a fight are you gonna put your hands behind your head before sitting back up?

We have 1-2 heavy lifting (not incorporated into met con) days every week. Heavy lifting is also incorporated into NFT (not for time) work done after the WOD.

We're taught to go below parallel on everything but ATG has never been required.

Proper form is coached. If you see a crossfitter using bad form that's their decision. Dont blame crossfit. Scaling weight in the WODs to something you can handle with good form is preached and never looked down upon. I've had my bar weight lowered without my request during a timed workout. Maybe I just have better coaches than most.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I'd like to see someone kip up a wall.
    I would then like to collect the blood from said wall in a vial and look at it for a few days.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    I have no intention of arguing on the Internet, so this is me telling some of you what we do at my crossfit gym. Just based on a lot of the comments, I can tell a lot of you really don't know what a typical crossfit day consists of. There is much more to it than the WOD and there are reasons why things are done a specific way. As Alex said, most of us want to get better at Crossfit. I certainly do. The people that surround me there are the fittest and strongest I know. Strong meaning 500+ dead lifters, 400+ squatters, and 300+ benchers. Many of them can also run long distance or compete in triathlons.

We do plenty of dead hang pull ups. On the flipside, crossfit preaches functional strength. Kipping is a technique used for power and explosiveness. It's not a deadhang pullup and was never intended to be. Aside from being able to move the weight a bit easier, dead hang strength has very little carry-over to kipping technique and stamina.

If you were stranded hanging from a cliff or tree branch would you say "I need to pull myself up to save my life, but I'd better do it DEAD HANG!". If you're knocked to the ground in a fight are you gonna put your hands behind your head before sitting back up?

We have 1-2 heavy lifting (not incorporated into met con) days every week. Heavy lifting is also incorporated into NFT (not for time) work done after the WOD.

We're taught to go below parallel on everything but ATG has never been required.

Proper form is coached. If you see a crossfitter using bad form that's their decision. Dont blame crossfit. Scaling weight in the WODs to something you can handle with good form is preached and never looked down upon. I've had my bar weight lowered without my request during a timed workout. Maybe I just have better coaches than most.

What I get from this is that there are alot of different interpretations of crossfit. That happens when the methods are never explained. Not trying to be hostile, but changing a program nearly completely then giving the original full credit is silly. As others have said, crossfit was not the first to do what they're doing. They have done a great job of bring more focus onto it and I actually appreciate that.

I honestly have no idea what to think about crossfit still. I know metcons work. I know the WOD circuits work. I know they have to be changed for them to be successful in my workout. I have to change nearly everything about the program to my individual needs. There comes a point, where the spirit of the original idea is all thats left- to improve conditioning. At what point is the skeleton no longer human? I hope thats the lamest metaphor you guys have to read today.
    Last edited by 4g64fiero; 07-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Garage Lifter
    I think of Crossfit as a brand. It's like saying Nike sucks or Ford sucks. Some do and some don't. Find the specific version that fits your goals and go for it.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here in hopes of this discussion coming to a conclusion. This thing is on its second page and it's getting a tad silly

The above quote about you wanting to get better at CF is great. That's a perfect reason to do CF (free country right?) and at the same time you are able to increase some task specific strengths. Nothing wrong with that

Again, pull ups are great, kipping is great for CF, etc. But the scenario outlined is pretty unlikely and not necessairly a great reason for someone to start throwing in kipping pull ups. It's not the most productive way for a person to increase upper body explosiveness out of all the other ways a person can train. Just putting it into perspective.

Long and the short of it is no, CF isn't the absolute best way for a person to be a better POWERLIFTER.

CF is a great way to get better at CF. C'mon guys. Great for what's its for. Just like powerlifting isn't super for someone training for a CF competition.

Arguments like this arise when powerlifters say they are better athletes than CFers and visa versa. Let it go. Each is good at what they train for.

Although there will be people mis apply each and end up sucking at either one.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    What I get from this is that there are alot of different interpretations of crossfit. That happens when the methods are never explained. Not trying to be hostile, but changing a program nearly completely then giving the original full credit is silly. As others have said, crossfit was not the first to do what they're doing. They have done a great job of bring more focus onto it and I actually appreciate that.

I honestly have no idea what to think about crossfit still. I know metcons work. I know the WOD circuits work. I know they have to be changed for them to be successful in my workout. I have to change nearly everything about the program to my individual needs. There comes a point, where the spirit of the original idea is all thats left- to improve conditioning. At what point is the skeleton no longer human? I hope thats the lamest metaphor you guys have to read today.
    Lol..It's not the worst metapho ir've ever heard. I've never heard any CF'er claim that the founder invented this stuff and certainly not the CF founder. Crossfit no more invented GPP/HIIT than westside invented the bench press or MMA invented Muy Thai.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the crossfit extremist people tried to make that claim. There are whack jobs in every sport I suppose..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I know I shouldn't but I can't resist... Before I do, I hope everyone knows that I love a lot of things CF. I'm just not a big fan of Kool-Aid and before anyone flames me, I dislike ALL flavors of Kool-Aid, whether it's kettlebell, Westside, CrossFit, or 5x5.
    Okay, I'll bite. Exactly how many at your box DL 5 AND SQ 4 AND BP 3, AND compete in triathlons? If you have more than zero, your box would be exceptional and you know that.
    Proper form is coached perhaps, but does your CF coach frequently stop people in the middle of WODs because of compromised technique? If so, I would say that your box is in the minority and again, you are probably aware of that. You're right that it's not CF's fault exactly, but when an emphasis is placed on competition and powering through to the end come hell or high water, then, IMHO, it's a pretty safe to say that technique could very well get thrown out the window when you have a bunch of, at best, intermediate lifters with mediocre technique even on their best days.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Like everything there are pros an cons. I'll also say that I don't know "everything" abou crossfit.

Some good points that I see -
    It's made lifting weights more appealing to the general public.... many crossfitters seem to have come to it to either add a dimension to their training (i.e. triathlete working on strength), or after getting sick of traditional "fitness" (by which I mean check into your local club and jog on teadmill or ride an elliptical for a prescribed time, then call it a day). I feel everyone can benefit from strenthtraining, so this is good.

It seems to be reaching a wide audience, so it must be exposing a lot of people to a wider array of training styles which will give people more options to decide what they like to do. (Some may do CF for the sake of CF, some may want to gain fitness, some may really enjoy the OL fragment of it and go on to learn more about that).

Some cons -
    It irritates me the same way anything excessively popular / successful does... Like the Yankees, the Patriots, Lady Gaga, etc. These things are great when you're on the inside (from NY, from NE, a Gaga fan), but they are obnoxious to those on the outside largely because of their success. I guess this somewhat stems from jealousy... I mean I'd love powerlifting to have the popularity and financial backing CF seems to have developed.

It's cool if you want to do everything and be fairly good at each thng, but many seem to think this makes them better than those that choose one thing to excel at. We can all have different goals and appreciate the effort the other puts into acheiving their's.

All in all if people like to do CF, great for them; I have no desire to, but I keep my eyes open to see if I might learn something useful that I can apply to my own situation; much the same way they seem to use concepts from other disciplines.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Exactly how many at your box DL 5 AND SQ 4 AND BP 3, AND compete in triathlons? If you have more than zero, your box would be exceptional and you know that.

"Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results