Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit

Crossfit

Thoughts?

Anybody currently using crossfit as a way of lifting?

Just curious. I've recently jumped on the band wagon and am really enjoying it.

Garage Lifter
    It really depends on what you mean by Crossfit. Do you mean following the mainsite WODs? Or adding metabolic conditioning to your programming?

There are several good articles on programming and also some really good affiliates that incorporate different goals (strength, endurance, gymnastics, etc...). Depending on your goals and programming it can be really good, just depends.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Here is one Crossfit gym that implements a lot of Westside powerlifting principles into their programming:

http://crossfit-strength.com/

These workouts could be good for someone who enjoys the metabolic work but also wants to increase or maintain strength.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

CrossFit is a great way to train to get into incredible shape. I'm curious why you created this thread in this forum?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Here is one Crossfit gym that implements a lot of Westside powerlifting principles into their programming:

http://crossfit-strength.com/

These workouts could be good for someone who enjoys the metabolic work but also wants to increase or maintain strength.
    Great site! Thx for sharing.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Because crossfit is a metabolic conditioning program that incorporates strength, olympic, and competitive training. I figured here or general chat.

I don't think following the mainsite WOD is a good way to train. However I do check the site daily just to see what they're doing, and if the workout seems cool I'll throw it in at some point during the week. I mainly just like their methods and overall mindset.

I'm currently doing a strength/crossfit type regimen. That's a great post tom. I think that type of training can create some crazy athletes.
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 06-27-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Banned
    Some of the principles behind it are great. The application, not so great. It more of a success at marketing rather than training.

Probably my biggest pet peeves of the 'religion' are kipping pullups, and olympic lifting with full ROM for EVERYONE.

Whats wrong with full ROM oly lifting?

I don't like their excessive use of oly lifting for cardio, when it is an explosive lift and needs to really be trained the proper way. Also I don't think they have as big a focus on strength as they should, but overall you can get in good shape, just be careful. And you really could do better adapting similar principles into your training, and keep in mind, they didn't come up with most of the stuff that they based their training on.

Bako, I figured. I'll leave it here, but you would probably get more action in general chat. This forum is really pretty much for strength specific training which CrossFit is not. Oh, and I know a LOT about CrossFit as I write for their journal, work at Louie's CrossFit certs for strength training, and sponsor the Games etc.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I thought that was you in the journal. I read a few of your articles but wasnt sure if it was the same mason.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Nothing. But when they have people doing them that shouldn't and are doing high rep cardio with them it's just plain wrong. I see plenty of crossfitters that can't deadlift with proper form dropping down into ATG squats with more weight than they can handle and completely rounded backs.

As for the Kipling pullups, they are just stupid and dangerous. I'm waiting for the day when I see one of them bust their teeth out on the bar.

I don't have anything against cross fit type workouts, they certainly kick my ass, but I think it's a lot, A LOT of marketing hype, but...they're good at marketing and getting people in, and people who stick with it certainly do make good progress. I'm like Dan, it seems like when you get away from the traditional strict teachings of crossfit, all you have is a group of people throwing, literally, weight around and just seem to be injury prone, it's about the instructors in that sense though. I guess it's a thin line sort of...I like some of their workouts on conditioning days, but will hold strong to my strength related workouts.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned

Crossfit - What's your goal?

Thoughts?

Anybody currently using crossfit as a way of lifting?

Just curious. I've recently jumped on the band wagon and am really enjoying it.
    Crossfit is a good way to lift for a lot of people. But, one thing I've often thought about: what's your goal? If your goal is to look and feel great, awesome. Are you trying to increase your Olympic Lifts - well you better think again about the work load and reps that are in done in Crossfit. Again, what's your goal? Then it's easier to answer your question more directly. harrissport.com

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Crossfit is taking over my damn Powerhouse. I'm pissed. See my post here

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...t-about-my-gym

I think it's this years P90X if you ask me.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

I could see them making everybody leave the crossfit section during a paid session, but that's lame if you can't use the equipment in the mean time. Like at my old gym, nobody could play basketball on indoor court during spin classes, but as soon as they were done the court was open again.

Photos up on my rant page.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Some of the principles behind it are great. The application, not so great. It more of a success at marketing rather than training.

Probably my biggest pet peeves of the 'religion' are kipping pullups, and olympic lifting with full ROM for EVERYONE.
    Exactly lol
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Dr. Subtotal
    I once trained at a Oly-lifting academy that had a big strongman and Crossfit contingent. I didn't know much about Crossfit and while I was squatting, someone asked me "If I wanted to do Fran".

It was only 10 minutes later after searching for this hopefully attractive Fran, that I realized what he was talking about.

Quite disappointed that day lol.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Nothing. But when they have people doing them that shouldn't and are doing high rep cardio with them it's just plain wrong. I see plenty of crossfitters that can't deadlift with proper form dropping down into ATG squats with more weight than they can handle and completely rounded backs.

As for the Kipling pullups, they are just stupid and dangerous. I'm waiting for the day when I see one of them bust their teeth out on the bar.
    True this. All of this. I remember doing crossfit workouts back in the day with some buds out in san diego, all military guys (most were SEALs). That was an ass kicking. Now... man, this shit's overprescribed for everything.

Maybe I'm too much a fan of the SAID principle, but... if you want to get stronger, lift heavy. You want to get faster, run. You want to be better at a specific sport movement, practice that movement. Use crossfit to, well, get better at crossfit.

Sure, it's a decent method of training everything at once, but there are better ways to do it. Now bear in mind, I'm talking about crossfit specifically, not just GPP. Once any training style becomes a religion, it's lost me.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Soilwork addict.
    They seem to confuse oly lifting as superior other mentalities. Thats the problem.

ATG squats does not always equal an oly squat. A powerlifting style squat done ATG will have FAR more ROM than and olympic squat not to mention much less of an elastic bounce from the hole. Low box squats dominate them both. Those are tools that are unforgivable to leave out of a program.

There have been plenty of arguments against using power cleans in training so consistantly. In my own personal endeavors, I have found crossfit to severely inhibit recovery with the deadlift.

Kipping pullups are also silly when those are the only type you do.

That being said, I love doing crossfit workouts for short periods of time(6 weeks) then switching to steady state cardio for a while. The conditioning is great. I just dont think its as sustainable as the initial impression I recieve from reading their forums. I would never do it exclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

ATG = Ass to grass?
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

ATG does = ass to grass.

Question for Tom or whoever...

I went to that site. Really cool site. I could still train the way I have been and add in some "metcons" 2-3 times a week... How bad do you think metcons would screw with recovery using a 4x a week Juggernaut Template?

I'm guessing the easiest way is to throw one into my training and find out
    Last edited by KoSh; 07-06-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    if you want to get stronger, lift heavy. You want to get faster, run. You want to be better at a specific sport movement, practice that movement. Use crossfit to, well, get better at crossfit.

I am a graphic designer, and <seriously> if I produced that as a tee shirt...would anyone buy that?

That has got to be the most brilliant thing I have ever seen.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    True this. All of this. I remember doing crossfit workouts back in the day with some buds out in san diego, all military guys (most were SEALs). That was an ass kicking. Now... man, this shit's overprescribed for everything.

Maybe I'm too much a fan of the SAID principle, but... if you want to get stronger, lift heavy. You want to get faster, run. You want to be better at a specific sport movement, practice that movement. Use crossfit to, well, get better at crossfit.

Sure, it's a decent method of training everything at once, but there are better ways to do it. Now bear in mind, I'm talking about crossfit specifically, not just GPP. Once any training style becomes a religion, it's lost me.
    Agree and disagree. Your spot on with the SAID principle, BUT that doesn't mean you cant train for A FEW fitness components at a time, or even many concurrently.

I prefer the EDT system, because its easier to tie back to the SAID principle, and can be easily modified for just about any goals.

Probably my biggest beef with CF (besides claiming that training as a generalist makes you 'elite') is their methods of exercise selection. Exercise selection is arguably the most important factor of training, and they completely miss the boat here. Im tired of seeing everyone in the gym work toward kipping pullups for weeks/months, whe they could just progress toward real pullups. And then everyone is trying to do full ROM squats and olympic lifting, when they dont have the structure, experience, or coaching to do so.

Its just a recipe for disaster.

And then theres the cult / religion aspect to it of which I agree 100% with you.

But I think you could take some of CF's principles and methods and apply those in a SMART manner to have some damn good programming.