The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Breaking in a squat suit

I have been using a size 46 centurion for over a year now. I got it used and its always been super loose and stretched. I just got a brand new 44 and its very tight. Like spent thirty mins slipping it on and almost but never got it fully seated. So its very different.
    My question is, how much should I use the new suit to break it in, while still not stretching it out? I planned to use my old suit up until my last 4 squat sessions before the meet, but after trying on the new one its just so radically different I'm not sure if the first session or 2 w it will but me a waste trying to break it in. Thanks for any input

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

My advice would be that if you are planning on using it in the meet, to start getting used to it in training. Going down a size is a big change.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    My advice would be that if you are planning on using it in the meet, to start getting used to it in training. Going down a size is a big change.
    THIS!

I'd add to start by getting it on as well as possible and start trying to squat to a box at lower and lower heights. This gives you a fixed measure to progress from. Keep pulling the suit and getting it more and more seated. When you can hit depth to the box set at legal depth remove the box. After you've hit depth (video it from the side) a couple of consecutive sessions with some weight at or just under your planned opener, you can decide if you want to save this suit for meets and train in the older one or not. If you do, I'd send the old one in to be tightened to fit more closely like your broken in meet suit. Good luck with it and hope this helps!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I would start with the meet suit as early as you can.... tighter gear will work differently and you'll want to know how it'll work to depth so you are confident in it. If it stretches badly just take it in at the seam 1/2" ( total, that means running the new seam 1/4 from the old one)
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!