Thread: Rant about my gym

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar

Rant about my gym

I love my gym.

A full set of amenities that any body builder can use to reach his or her goals, great personnel/ staff, various tries in the back, a list of classes one can enjoy on any occasion. Powerhouse is legit.

But that was a year ago.

Now, I walk in and it seems I no longer go to Powerhouse Gym, but 3/4 of what it used to be or can be. See, the thing is that other fourth is taken up by an entire arsenal of crossfit equipment (GHD*, lifting pads*, bumper weights*, kettle bells, ceiling rope, rings, random crossfit apparatus, etc) and every time I'm on my own doing my list of things, I get the urge to use them. <* Why our gym doesn't have this to begin with is beyond me>

What's stopping ya?

Well, posted all about the gym are these little signs that say "Please do not use [insert equipment here], they are for crossfit members only" and every time I see them, I get another episode of sour grapes when I devise some workout that could benefit me by using the equipment that is in the gym that I pay dues for.

It's almost like I'm no longer going to Powerhouse Gym, but this broad's crossfit center just taunting my curiosity and gym creativity. I wasn't happy when I discovered that the equipment is off limits, so I hope whoever has it in the gym doesn't bitch at me when I use her collars for jump cleans.

Photos soon...

<If this needs to be moved...please>
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Enquire about the crossfit membership - maybe it isn't any extra cost over your current membership, and just don't do the sessions just use the equipment

Oh, trust me, I've inquired, it's like 100/month or so.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Dude just wear a crossfit t shirt or something then

Your gym sold out to crossfit, welcome to 85% of the gyms in our area. Just lucky I call Metroflex and my garage my gym.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Is it really that prominent across the US? I mean I can dig the set up, just not at my damn expense. Looks like I will have to start investing in a barn gym now.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

That's awful. If your access to gym equipment has become limited as a result of the CrossFit gym, I would complain to management and then, if nothing changes, quit.

I like a lot of things about CF, but I'd like CF a lot more if you could access the gym without being a "member" and following the WoDs. I realize that's not part of their business plan and that's fine - I'm just saying...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Crossfit members only? They're seriously taking this crap too far. Besides, there ARE better fitness systems out there. I'd complain complain complain if I were you.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Basically occupies 1/4 of the gym space in an already condensed gym.

Gym equipment condensed due to this crossfit crap.

View from front of gym of the crossfit area. "Those people seem like they are part of a clique...or a cult" -Gym member who throws up a gnarly leg press and squat.

This apparatus, and 2 lifting pads (not really shown) occupy the width of the gym space.

GHDs that you cant use.

Bumper plates that no one can use unless you are part of the elitist squad. OH there's a rack of bars in the back room (not listed in the do not use signs around) picked one up, and got bitched at as I was about to put on weight for my deadlifts.

These signs are everywhere.

Pick one up, expect to get yelled at.

In short, sharing is caring. Apparently, someone didn't get the memo in kindergarten.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 07-05-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

That's some high quality bullshit right there sir. I'd tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine and be outta there. Nice looking setup but hell if you can't use part of the gym AT ALL EVER, worthless.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I'm serious man, complain! Write a letter, start a petition or something. That is absolutely outrageous, I'd be furious.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

I will be in the minority. It is a specialty section of the gym, which they can run as they see fit as a private business. If one wants to use the equipment, join the club. Looks like there is plenty of equipment there otherwise, and it really isn't any more crowded than most gyms.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    Id have to disagree joey. I could see joining a gym that had a crossfit section nd not being able to use it, but to be a member of a gym and have the equipmentt you use condensed to a smaller area to make room for a strictly crossfit area is outrageous and unjust. Unless the small possibility that your membership cost has been reduced then I find this rediculous.

I can see your point, Joey, but if this cross fit had it's own room aside from the main (and only room) that contains 100% of the lifting apparatus, I wouldn't be complaining as much.

See my major dilemma is I was a member at this same gym a year ago, and then, they didn't have this crossfit section of the gym. There was more equipment to use, and more space to walk and do other things. I understand that most (if not all gyms) are condensed to a degree, but in my observations from a year ago to today, the area of use has changed considerably.

Not to mention, when you dangle lifting platforms in plain sight of the gym, of course I'm gonna want to stand on it, and not have to worry about deadlifting right in front of the guy doing bench press or leg press.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

When it's your business, you can run it as you see fit.

If this happens at your gym, you are free to join somewhere else when your term is up.

Does it suck? Sure. Is it wrong? Nope.

I always think of how much more space we could have if we got rid of those stupid hydraulic machines. And half the treadmills/ellipticals/steppers that seem to be empty many times.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig New Member
    The bottom line is that YOU are the customer in this relationship. If enough customers complain then ownership will listen (or should if they're smart business people) They should be weighing the profit that they are gaining from taking a piece of the gym away from you/others and dedicating it to something else. If the profit from doing this is bigger the members they may lose you don't have a prayer. If you quit and go somewhere else, make sure you tell ownership why

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    I can see your point, Joey, but if this cross fit had it's own room aside from the main (and only room) that contains 100% of the lifting apparatus, I wouldn't be complaining as much.

See my major dilemma is I was a member at this same gym a year ago, and then, they didn't have this crossfit section of the gym. There was more equipment to use, and more space to walk and do other things. I understand that most (if not all gyms) are condensed to a degree, but in my observations from a year ago to today, the area of use has changed considerably.
    Did you actually LOSE use of equipment? If so, you have a legitimate gripe, but that won't mean anything $$-wise to you or them unless you are willing to walk away from the gym.

Not to mention, when you dangle lifting platforms in plain sight of the gym, of course I'm gonna want to stand on it, and not have to worry about deadlifting right in front of the guy doing bench press or leg press.
    This really has nothing to do with anything IMHO. I go to a commercial gym from time to time and I don't have access to certain facilities unless I want to pay - I have no interest in spin classes or zumba, so I stay the hell out of their area.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/