Thread: German Volume Training..confused?

German Volume Training..confused?

I was originally going to do SS again, but then I found GVT and I am going to go with this one, but I am very confused what it entails...I originally thought it was 10x10 for ONE muscle group but from reading around, a bunch of people have their own versions of it and some are confusing as hell. Im not sure why somebody would want to superset on this routine....would this routine that I made up be enough? If anyone has modifications id be glad to see them as well.

Monday- Chest and back

Dumbell bench press- 10x10
    Barbell rows- 10x10

Wednesday- Legs

squats 10x10
    seated calve raises 3x10

Friday- Shoulders and Arms

dumbell overhead press- 10x10
    barbell curl 3x10
    weighted dips 3x10

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

That...seems...brutal as fuck dude. Squats...10x10? In my opinion why not run a more simpler routine, 531, SS or something to get some quality mass on you instead of jumping in to a routine that you're already confused about. Something like this strikes me as something along the lines of DC training, something for guy who have been under the weight for years and years and have a good idea of what's going to work and what isn't going to work.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I thought you were coming back from an extended time off of training. If so, GVT seems like a really bad idea. Ease back into training and get your body used to training again before doing something this extreme. I think it could be a valuable program at the right time in the right context, I just don't think it's the best thing for you right now. Something like a short stint of SS followed by something like 5/3/1 could get you back into condition and then you can go from there.

There's nothing wrong with GVT. It is brutal, but that is one of the requirements for the results it intends to effect.

bass, I would advise using one of the newer versions, though the original is certainly time tested. Advanced German Volume Training(you can find it with a search on t-mag.com) addresses many of the faults with the original program, yet still sticks to the same principles and is an amazing program for those who respond especially well to volume.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

fat submariner
    I've been doing GVT whilst deployed for the last 6 weeks (it's a great High Intensity routine that can be blasted out in a short time and works well when you don't have a lot of space or training equipment available... I was deployed in a submarine!).

I generally do 1 body part a day and I usually superset it. it is brutal but that body part gets a thorough workout in 20-30 mins before I limp off towards the shower! here's what I've been doing:

LEGS - DB Front Squats superset with DB Stiffleg Deadlifts (I normally add single leg BW Calf Raises on for a few sets of these too (can't do 10 sets yet as I'm still feeling the effects of a broken foot 7 months ago)

CHEST - DB Flyes superset with DB Press

SHOULDERS - DB Front Raises superset with DB Overhead Press (sometimes I didn't superset these and did 2 rounds of 10 x 10 GVT)

TRICEPS - EZ Bar Skullcrushers superset with EZ Bar Close Grip Bench Press ( TRULY BRUTAL!)

BICEPS - EZ Bar Curls superset with DB Curls (my Biceps are by far my weakest bodypart so the first 5 sets of DB Curls had full supination before I switched to Hammer Curls for sets 6-10)

I didn't do a full GVT for my back as I normally finished off a Deadlift session with 3-4 sets of BB Bent Over Rows supersetted with DB Prone Flyes.

I've only just got back a couple of days ago so haven't updated my journal yet (wife and kids need attention) I will... maybe tomorrow.

Mac
    Last edited by macdaknife; 07-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Age: 41 - Height: 5'10" - Weight: 197lb (NOT LEAN! (but maybe finally getting a little bit leaner?))

Squat: 180kg (396lb) x 2
    Front Squat: 100kg (220lb) 5 x 5
    Zercher Squat: 140kg (308lbs) x 1
    Bench Press: 110kg (242lb) x 1
    Deadlift: 220kg (484lb) x 1
    SLDL: 170kg (374lb) x 1

Mac's Journal

Soilwork addict.
    Post your results when you are doing it! Are you keeping a log?
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    I was originally going to do SS again, but then I found GVT and I am going to go with this one, but I am very confused what it entails...I originally thought it was 10x10 for ONE muscle group but from reading around, a bunch of people have their own versions of it and some are confusing as hell. Im not sure why somebody would want to superset on this routine....would this routine that I made up be enough? If anyone has modifications id be glad to see them as well.

Monday- Chest and back

Dumbell bench press- 10x10
    Barbell rows- 10x10

Wednesday- Legs

squats 10x10
    seated calve raises 3x10

Friday- Shoulders and Arms

dumbell overhead press- 10x10
    barbell curl 3x10
    weighted dips 3x10
    I like it. I would suggest first re-running SS as you stated you had some time off. Get your numbers on that up until you stall, then take a de-load week. Follow this routine and start out at like 45-55% of your 1 rep max. Each week add 5 lbs to the upper and 10 lbs to the lower body lifts. Do it for 4 weeks, de-load, and then move on to something else for awhile.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!