The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    I would agree with this when your fresh and not warmed up my body is stronger but doesn't necessarily like higher reps, getting your blood flowing and moving is something very smart you always want some kind of warm up, like benching the bar 20 times and working up or running on the treadmill for 5 minutes. While OR is probably right with the resting I beg to differ saying working out every other day even when DOMS is everywhere our so new n fresh your body will be recovered just fine and the DOMS is just lies from the super high rep sets

Quote Originally Posted by Polish Viking View Post
    I would agree with this when your fresh and not warmed up my body is stronger but doesn't necessarily like higher reps, getting your blood flowing and moving is something very smart you always want some kind of warm up, like benching the bar 20 times and working up or running on the treadmill for 5 minutes. While OR is probably right with the resting I beg to differ saying working out every other day even when DOMS is everywhere our so new n fresh your body will be recovered just fine and the DOMS is just lies from the super high rep sets
    Yeah, its pretty obvious to me that success or failure in the weight room depends a lot on how you prepare your body for the work sets. If you warm up properly and you rest the right amount in between sets, you do a lot better. Eating correctly before a training session can also can influence success.. and of course, how fresh you are when you enter the gym.

There are just so many factors at play here, and if you screw one of them up, your whole routine suffers.

I am aborting the Rader routine, not because its BAD or anything. I just think that Starting Strength seems to be the program that made most people the biggest and strongest, and most everyone is saying that is what I need right now instead of a higher rep program.
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 08-08-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Well I can tell you I'm on SS now and it's a wonderful program, and I'll give you a quote as to why the program works so well. If you wait to workout till you feel good you'll never train. So now without fail no matter what I think is going on with my body I go train and do the weight I need to. The weight starts off light but it ramps up really quick 100pounds on your squat in a month and a half. If you like the idea of volume what I have learned works real well is after my 5x5 sets I do one max set with that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Polish Viking View Post
    Well I can tell you I'm on SS now and it's a wonderful program, and I'll give you a quote as to why the program works so well. If you wait to workout till you feel good you'll never train. So now without fail no matter what I think is going on with my body I go train and do the weight I need to. The weight starts off light but it ramps up really quick 100pounds on your squat in a month and a half. If you like the idea of volume what I have learned works real well is after my 5x5 sets I do one max set with that weight.
    I don't expect SS to be easy...

Hopefully, I can start light enough this time that I don't stall after two weeks. That should make things go smoother. You are supposed to start stalling in week 6, if you do it right.

I think Rippetoe recommends 5 warm-up sets, so that might help me correct one of my problems also..

Well, if nothing else we at least got you to stick to a routine for four whole weeks. lol
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Well, if nothing else we at least got you to stick to a routine for four whole weeks. lol
    Hahahah...

I realize I have a lot to prove, my reputation on WBB is fairly low right now..

I still believe in myself, and the power of the human potential to change and grow into something better..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I still believe in myself,
    That is MOST important. Good luck
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What the hell, a few more workouts.... I guess I'm fighting against inevitable fate..

August 10th, 2011

Bench Press 45x5 65x3 85x2 105x1 115x6 115x3

Squat 45x5 65x3 85x2 95x1 110x10 110x7

Barbell Rows 20x10 45x5 75x12

Curls 10x5 20x5 30x1 65x8

Military Press 45x10 65x8

August 15th

Squat 45x10 95x3 110x10 110x10

Bench 45x20 95x3 115x1 115x6

Curls 70x5 70x4 70x4

Single Arm DB Press Seated 30x12 each side

Lying T-Bar Rows 55x8

Just experimenting with a few things and still deciding if I should switch routines..

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Hahahah...

I realize I have a lot to prove, my reputation on WBB is fairly low right now..

I still believe in myself, and the power of the human potential to change and grow into something better..
    What is reputation? This journal is for you, man. Keep truckin! Prove it to yourself, not us.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Banned
    I don't expect SS to be easy...

Hopefully, I can start light enough this time that I don't stall after two weeks. That should make things go smoother. You are supposed to start stalling in week 6, if you do it right.

I think Rippetoe recommends 5 warm-up sets, so that might help me correct one of my problems also..
    Rip doesn't recommend 5 warm-up sets (as fas as I know). That would be overkill and waste time and effort. Think of Starting Strength as a 5x5 variant. Two progressive warm-up sets followed by three sets across. Should be all you need.

Don't worry so much about optimal warm-up sets or exactly which week you ought to stall in. Just add weight every time, don't think about failure and keep pushing. We got to get your squats up over 200lbs asap.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Rip doesn't recommend 5 warm-up sets (as fas as I know). That would be overkill and waste time and effort. Think of Starting Strength as a 5x5 variant. Two progressive warm-up sets followed by three sets across. Should be all you need.

Don't worry so much about optimal warm-up sets or exactly which week you ought to stall in. Just add weight every time, don't think about failure and keep pushing. We got to get your squats up over 200lbs asap.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the input... Rippetoe does recommend 3 to 5 warmup sets, its in his book in Chapter 7 on Programming. But I get what you're saying about focusing on progress...

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I have been working with a coach for a few days on all my lifts. We looked at squat, deadlift, row, bench press, over head press, and also many other exercises.

We were able to figure out some major form problems I was having, and I think we've corrected them.

After correcting some problems, we were able to add a lot more weight to my lifts!

I think there will be a lot more progress now in this journal..

I'm working with an Olympic Powerlifting coach now, so my routine is gonna be mixing it up a little for the next several weeks.. upper body and lower body split for a month at least..

Bench press 95x5 105x5 115x5 125x3 125x2

Seated Cable Rows 75x8 90x8 105x8

Narrow Grip Pulldowns 55x5 85x8 100x8

DB Shoulder Press 20x8 30x8 40x8
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 08-21-2011 at 02:13 PM.

That looks real good!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Much better!

what types of problems did you fix?
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Thanks..

My bench press form was really messed up... my grip was wrong, my arms were at the wrong angle, and I was pushing with my shoulders instead of my pecs...

We fixed that I am on the right track now!

Not sure what sort of routine this coach is going to put me on,... it seems more based around 5x5 ideas, focusing on bench and squat mainly..

Banned
    Not sure what sort of routine this coach is going to put me on,... it seems more based around 5x5 ideas, focusing on bench and squat mainly..
    Can't go wrong with 5x5! I hope...

Hey man, good luck with everything. Get that form sorted and stick to a routine bro, stick to it for a good while and you'll see good progress.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

August 23rd, 2011

Squat 85x5 95x5 105x5 115x5 125x5

Deadlift 135x5
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 08-23-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Hey man, good luck with everything. Get that form sorted and stick to a routine bro, stick to it for a good while and you'll see good progress.
    Thanks... this coach hasn't put me on a long term routine yet, he seems to want to mix things up... we'll see where this is headed..

So long as I'm making steady progress, its okay...

Updates?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Hey Sensei.. I took a few extra days off, but I'm back:

August 27th, 2011

Bench Press 95x5 105x5 115x5 125x5 125x5 130x1

Squat 95x5 105x5 115x5 125x5 130x5

DB Rows 25x5 40x8 (each side)

Curls 70x5 70x5 70x5 60x5 60x5

Narrow Grip Lat Pulldowns 75x5 130x5 145x5

Comments: Good day today! Unfortunately my bench press spotter ruined my last set, or I would have broken my record. I got to find a better spotter!!

Congrats on getting your squat up to your bench. Nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Congrats on getting your squat up to your bench. Nice job.
    Thanks OR..

Now I want to get them both up to 200..

Thanks OR..

Now I want to get them both up to 200..
    Go get it done. Like I told you, it doesn't matter what routine you are doing, just as long as you are getting stronger. We're proud of you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal