Thread: Geared and Raw strength

Geared and Raw strength

I have a question for everyone that lifts geared. Do you lift in your gear year around or in your offseason's do you work on raw strength?
    Last edited by muscle_g; 07-04-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Wannabebig Member
    There's many ways of training. When you say geared lifters do you mean multyply? Many multyply lifters will squat in briefs in the off season. Knee wraps are also gear and many people squat with wraps year round. Now we have things like the slingshot and ram for the bench that can be used year round. It just depends on the lifter.

I lift multi ply, so yes I'm refering to that. In my offseason's I train in loose briefs, and bench mainly raw. I am just looking for ideas as to what others do or reccomend.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Quote Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
    I lift multi ply, so yes I'm refering to that. In my offseason's I train in loose briefs, and bench mainly raw. I am just looking for ideas as to what others do or reccomend.
    Hey G. I squat almost all year in briefs. Close to a geared meet I start getting in a newer pair that are meet tight. It's a bit of time and effert getting in them each week. Most of the year I train in my older Boss briefs (stretched out from when I weighed 300 (now 253ish). I get them on in about 30 seconds but they give me enough support to keep my hip flexors healthy and pain free. I'll go to my Boss suit the last 6-8 week before a geared meet. Before the shoulder replacement I'd shirt up after raw work (up to 365-405) and do 3 -4 singles. How heavy depending on how close to a meet it was. Since the surgery (about 7 months ago) I've been back in the shirt pretty regular again. I used a Super Ram earlier to transition back to the shirt and still sub it for the shirt on occasions. My deadlift suit usually only gets worn once before a meet. I use a Titan Velocity and it doesn't effect my technique enough to worry about. It takes a bit longer to re-dial the suit for squats, and I've found that shirt benching (for me) requires me to 'stay on top of the skill'. So, I use it more than any other piece of equipment (besides squat briefs). All I do to get ready for a raw meet is come out of the equipment the last workouts to check where I'll open. I use the same technique raw as I do equipped so it's easy to do a raw meet occasionally. I've found I've gotten stronger raw training in gear due to handling the weight overloads. Training this way has given me the most steady gains over the last several years and gives me the least joint pain and down time from joint problems. Consider also that I'm 55 Y.O. and been doing this a long time. A younger guy might find something else works better for him.
    Last edited by mastermonster; 07-04-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling

RIght after a meet I do everything raw for a few months. This time around I went belt free also and think it helped a lot strength wise now that I'm back in gear. Training this way really makes my lower back, pecs/shoulders and thighs stronger. Once I pick a meet and am preparing specifically for that I will use my training suit every week and add knee wraps once I get closer. I bench raw the majority of the time even if a meets approaching and so far have still been able to PR in the shirt when the meet comes. As for deadlifts I will use my suit every week once I am pretty close to the meet. I think it is a mistake to use gear year round. I understand if you need to break in or learn your gear there needs to be extra time spent in it, but if you know your gear well and it fits well you'd be better of training raw or with loose gear and actually get stronger.

I mix it up year round but like to be comfy with gear so I do plenty in it.

I still do a fair bit raw and also remember all second movements plus assistance is raw anyway.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Squats and pulls ill be mostly in briefs, and occassionally ill suit up. Just got back in the shirt for an upcoming meet, but plan on shirting up 2x a month.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

What is an off season lol. I did 5 weeks on 5 weeks off.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I spend more time with reverse bands, briefs only, and raw work in the month or two following a meet..... the farther out a meet is the less full gear work I do. Close to a meet it's all about dialing in form in full gear. Even in the off season though, I'm still in full gear once a month or so.....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

I try to keep it simple (although I don't always do this) year round

squat/deadlift
    DE days: squat: use loose 2 ply briefs to squat, 1 ply briefs to deadlift if doing DE deads, 2 ply loose briefs for heavier pulls/ low block pulls, raw for high block pulls

ME Days: squat in loose 2 ply briefs, good mornings raw, deadlifts in tight single ply briefs or tighter 2 ply briefs (not comp tight)

Bench---take a weight in a shirt every 4 weeks.

As I get closer to a meet add in the squat suit. straps down or loose and start working the shirt every other week or 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Straps up on the suit depends on how and where I feel with the squat. If I'm new to the suit, I'll put the straps up earlier to get used to the feel. If I'm used to the suit, I may not put straps up until right before the meet.

everything else is done raw.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I throw my shirt on every third week religiously. Year round

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Travis I am interested in getting with you sometime, in the next month with my overkill if you are open to the possibility.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." Proudly sponsored by reactionnutrition.com
    Current PR total 1930 @ 198
    198 Comp prs 730 squat, 650 bench, 625 dead
    220 Comp prs 700 bench,606 dead

Quote Originally Posted by J Stottlemire View Post
    Travis I am interested in getting with you sometime, in the next month with my overkill if you are open to the possibility.
    I do all my shirt work at Westside where I train every Wednsday morning. I'm sure Louie be more than happy to have you come in some time just call him and arrange it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym