The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

bench press is lame still...frustrated

squat and deadlifts improve. other lifts get stronger but the bench just sucks...havent benched 275 in yrs, just stuck at 225..its horrible...heck ive done neck presses and they dont hurt but at times the BP hurts my shoulders. any ideas or tips would be helpful...thanks....technique is pretty decent really..
    Last edited by cheesedips; 07-11-2011 at 07:03 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Technique is probably subpar and you might not have the best build to bench. So, going to have to develop a consistent, effective training plan stressing technique and targeting weak areas.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Soilwork addict.
    OP, atleast your not like me. I have a 355 bench max at the beginning of the year and oly squat 455 ,not impressive but I need to throw that out there to support my next point.

I cant deadlift 345 right now with good form. I'm not shitting you. I overtrained the movement till I lost strength. I would way rather be behind on bench. Screw it man. If your deadlift and squat are progressing at the same time....you are in a good spot right now. Some programs really put bench on the back burner so the recovery can go where it needs to. Competition wise, you will put way more on your total by progressing on deads and squats.

I also mention over training a specific movement because its possible. People get all caught up in thinking over training is always something that occurs to your entire body. I am sure it can, but it never starts that way. You may not be overtraining, but you may have exhausted the stimulus your program will provide. Its a similiar effect. You cant progress, and eventually you will get weaker.

Anyways, make sure your diet is in order and that your program is not effing crazy. Other than that, I hope I offered some perspective.

PS, Dave Tate has some great videos on youtube called "So you think you can bench". I learned alot from that video and the article "Up your bench press 30lbs in 30 days" here on wannabebig.com. They will teach you how to stabilize your shoulders for longevity.
    Last edited by 4g64fiero; 07-10-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

I also got a lot out of Dave Tates videos, all of them, on bench press. I'm with fiero man, you're progressing on 2 lifts, that's progress. Check your form over and over again, bench press isn't just laying down and pressing like I once thought. I'm sort of in the same boat as you I think. I squat 435 and deadlift 535 but my bench press was 225, it's now up in the 270's after 4 months of benching on a program and constant tweaking of form.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Gain weight. This always got my bench moving.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    Write out your program and let some of the pros here take a look at it.

Sounds like you have a big shoulder problem, might want to see a physical therapist, weak rtc, or problems with scapular retraction, or also bad form. I have time periods where gain a ton on squats none on bench, when im having shoudler issues, or other way around right now bench moving up like crazy but squat is lower than ever because of problems that hold me back there.

Wannabebig Member
    thank you all....program is kinda all over the place, but i do focus on bench, tris, upper back...

You need to look at where you are weak. Depending on your technique and weaknesses you will have to focus on different areas. But like scott said if you gain weight your bench will go up. After weight gain, hitting your triceps reallly hard should be the #1 priority.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Gain weight. This always got my bench moving.
    This!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was in the Marines and had to stay around 198ish, my bench was stuck in the 270-285 range forever. Got out and put on about 15-20lbs and am now hitting in the 320 range.

Wannabebig Member
    Im not a pro, nor am I a record holder, so take this with a grain of salt. My best bench so far is 380 at 198 (i actually weighed 185lbs)

A few simple tips on technique are what really helped me and I got most of them from Dave Tate's videos.

-Make sure your upper back is tight, and I mean fucking tight. Mimick the movement of pulling a band apart before you even grab the bar

-I prefer benching on my toes because this allows me to pull my feet back farther, helping me to stay tight. Once you get set-up, if you are comfortable, you arent tight enough. Squeezing the glutes will help this. I havent figured out why, but ive noticed that when I squeeze my glutes, my entire body will tighten up

-Drive your heels into the floor. Again, this helps me to stay tight. Ive also noticed that it helps to push my belly up a bit, shortening the range of motion.

-When you unrack the bar, attempt to break it in half. Ofcourse, you wont be able to, but mimicking this has helped me to keep my elbows tucked. This leads to less shoulder rotation, which in turn leads to less shoulder pain. It also helps pull my lats into the bench press. The initial movement of the bar is actually me setting it into my lats, not bending at the elbows.

-Try pushing your body away from the bar, rather than pushing the bar away from you. It sounds weird, but the two feel completely different. This helps me to push the bar in a straight line, rather than back towards the rack.

There you go, just a few simple tips that have helped me aloong the way. Nothing special, nothing ground breaking. It just seems that sometimes, if I dont remind myself, its the little shit that always fucks me up

Good Luck Brother

I've always been told, if you want to push heavier weight, push heavier weight.
    I don't think I would have moved up my bench like I have if I would have been messing with weight that I could push 15-20 times.

Once I can get 10's, I bump up the weight.

4 years ago, I was getting 135lbs 10 times. One week ago, 335lbs 10 times.
    I'm satisfied.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    If your lifts ( any of them) are going down over the course of years there's a PROBLEM...... Unless you are built like a jockey it shouldn't take years to get over 275. When I started I couldn't bench 100# but with work it went up a bit.....

1st I'd look at your training. Any system should be able to take you past the level you're at so just pick one and STICK TO IT
    2nd I'd find a Golden Corral and go there often enough that they know you by name

It really is that simple. Other than that all I could recommend is to find a team to train with who can help you out. If your shoulders are getting beat up from benching 225 then form is NOT pretty decent..... Getting an experienced group to help you should work wonders.

Either way, good luck.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Wannabebig Member
    i got a similar prob OP. sq/dl are improving but my bench is stalled atm. im doing westside and its great. for some reason tho my bench is not improving as much as the other lifts

Quote Originally Posted by cheesedips View Post
    thank you all....program is kinda all over the place, but i do focus on bench, tris, upper back...
    an all over the place program and a lacking bench, I can't believe it.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    If your lifts ( any of them) are going down over the course of years there's a PROBLEM...... Unless you are built like a jockey it shouldn't take years to get over 275. When I started I couldn't bench 100# but with work it went up a bit.....

1st I'd look at your training. Any system should be able to take you past the level you're at so just pick one and STICK TO IT
    2nd I'd find a Golden Corral and go there often enough that they know you by name

It really is that simple. Other than that all I could recommend is to find a team to train with who can help you out. If your shoulders are getting beat up from benching 225 then form is NOT pretty decent..... Getting an experienced group to help you should work wonders.

Either way, good luck.
    Golden Corral! Yes. Fucking Hilarious.

Dr. Subtotal
    1. Fix shoulder issue. Benching correctly should not hurt your shoulders. Chances are you need tons of retraction and traction work. Stick with floor presses until you can go full ROM.
    2. Fix your form. Again you should be able to bench without pain and in a manner that will allow progress.
    3. Hone your technique. This allows you to maximize your 1RM. Form and technique are two different things.
    4. Gain weight if you're underweight for your height.
    5. Get on a long term program that allows for progress. You're at a level where you should be doing the main lifts frequently to build a solid amount of training volume. When time comes, then address your weaknesses and leverages. Part of this is also to understand when you need to peak (for a meet or a 1RM try in the gym) and deload/rest/compensate.

Anytime you are plateauing, it's a failure of the above 5 OP. With training time, it's mostly a failure of #5.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Try a 5/3/1 or look into sheiko37 both solid routines with big strength and weight gains in the following weeks http://www.elitefts.com/documents/Sheiko37.htm .... this is the most basic but after two runs of it within 3 months my bench went from 265 to 315 along with my squat and pull.
    5'8 195lbs(5/4/12) start weight 118lbs.

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)
    Deadlift 545 (raw) (3/31/12)

Total 1315

Training log!

This helped me alot also, he also has a 7 part video that breaks it down to the bone.
    5'8 195lbs(5/4/12) start weight 118lbs.

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)
    Deadlift 545 (raw) (3/31/12)

Total 1315

Training log!