The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arm size?

Arm size?

I cant seems to get my arm bigger. I have been working out for a year. Im 155 pounds, 5 feet 8. I measeured the arm its at 13 inches. I do barbell curls, hammers, preachers, and cable curls when i do biceps. your input greatly appreciated. People say i do have pretty thick arms but i would like them bigger.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

diet?
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

Gain weight! you will have a hard times getting huge arms without increasing the size of the rest of your body.

Deadlift, squat, bench, alot of tricep work(2/3 of the upper arm on most people) lower your volume on BI's and focus on these and your bi's will get bigger.

Eat more calories then you burn.

Ya. i see ya. I will be the first to admit i am one of those sissys whose scared of getting a little fat. But i will have to gain some weight.

Banned
    I read somewhere that you have to gain 10lbs of weight to gain an inch on your arms. Don't know if this is true, but it should give you an indication of the direction that needs to be taken. My best advice is less sets and more eating.

Who's says you have to gain fat?
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    yah, i gained 20 lbs all at once when I first started packing on weight, my bodyfat actually went down over that time, and my arms increased about 2"

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    Who's says you have to gain fat?
    Ask that question again in ten years time, dude.

Tris (3) are bigger than your bies (2). Consintrate on your tris more because they make your arm big then your bies do.
    Deal with it.

Originally posted by Shocker

Ask that question again in ten years time, dude.
    what happens then?

OK - here's something contorversial.

I basically STOPPED training my arms directly.
    Everytime I wanted to train my biceps I did chin ups and rows.
    Everytime I wanted to train my triceps I did weighted dips and narrow-grip bench.

Results were EXCELLENT - ARMS SIZE grew quickly and nicely!
    Only direct training I ever do for arms is standing barbell curl for the pump. IMO everything else doesn't work.

Evidently I have simplified and ignored the fact that these compounds movements build mass all over the body and hence make arms bigger too - but you get the picture.
    The old F40 is BACK, cocky grinning, smiling and happy.... at last! (with a few more lbs of muscle too!)

I think it's a good idea. I've done almost the same thing. Not quite there 100%. I do a light pump for triceps, and a pump for bi's or one work set. That's it.

do around 9 sets of biceps, follow a 12 10 8 rep scheme, it works for me, make sure your on your bulking phase (eating as much food as possible)

It was Franco Columbu who said that to gain an inch on your arms, you need to gain 10-15 lbs of lean body weight.
    The weights won't lift themselves.

Originally posted by F40
    OK - here's something contorversial.

I basically STOPPED training my arms directly.
    Everytime I wanted to train my biceps I did chin ups and rows.
    Everytime I wanted to train my triceps I did weighted dips and narrow-grip bench.

Results were EXCELLENT - ARMS SIZE grew quickly and nicely!
    Only direct training I ever do for arms is standing barbell curl for the pump. IMO everything else doesn't work.

Evidently I have simplified and ignored the fact that these compounds movements build mass all over the body and hence make arms bigger too - but you get the picture.
    I must desagree. I 'm getting more and more compliments like:
    Wow, your arms look great.
    I'm only telling this, because it's not just my oppinion, but other's.

My arms have their very own training day, so this must be direct arm work. (about ten sets; check my journal for details) Saying this, I don't think you could say my routine doesn't work. Be happy about your gains, but you must admit, that there are other ways to develope your arms. Everyone is individual.

Banned
    I think if you are working out hard and gaining mass due to proper nutrition and recovery your arms will grow regardless of whether you hit them directly or not. You cannot eliminate the use of your arms in almost any movement so they will always be getting stimulation. Also, the body does not like to be unbalanced so if you work the entire body (no direct arm training) and then proceed to gain 10 lbs of lean mass, the mass will probably be distributed fairly evenly throughout the body (including the arms).

some of my best arm growth came when i was doing limited or no direct work.

I just got bigger.

If you want arms bigger than 13 inches, you need to weigh more than 155 pounds.

Looks to me Ferdo is doing an awful lot of bicep work, but he didn't mention what ELSE he's doing.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Sebi
    I must desagree. I 'm getting more and more compliments like:
    Wow, your arms look great.
    I'm only telling this, because it's not just my oppinion, but other's.

My arms have their very own training day, so this must be direct arm work. (about ten sets; check my journal for details) Saying this, I don't think you could say my routine doesn't work. Be happy about your gains, but you must admit, that there are other ways to develope your arms. Everyone is individual.
    Is that your arms in the picture? how big are they?

Originally posted by MarshallPenn

what happens then?
    It seems to be generally harder, the older you get, to gain lean mass only while bulking.

Wouldn't you think that if you're gaining fat while bulking it's simply because you are eating too much? I don't see what age has to do with it.

Sebi - I understand - everyone has different training requirements but no direct work really did the trick for me.

If you can chin bodyweight + 30kgs for 15 reps you'll have massive biceps regardless of your standing barbell curl.
    If you can dip bodyweight + 30kgs for 15 reps you'll have massive triceps regardless of your poundage on your skullcrushers.

The compound movements rock. Every upper body compound exercise (regardless of the inital target area) is transacted through the arms. Get good at these exercises and your arms will be huge - bottom line.

If what you're doing is working for you - obviously stick with it (you look a lot better than I do anyway!!) but if it ever stops working then try a more "compound" approach.
    Ultimately this approach cannot result in a loss of muscle on your arms - worse come to worse it can be SLIGHTLY inferior to direct arm training in producing results QUICKLY. (more likely as I believe, it is superior to direct training IMO).

You can't really lose by trying this approach but if your approach aint broke then don't fix it!!!
    The old F40 is BACK, cocky grinning, smiling and happy.... at last! (with a few more lbs of muscle too!)

i noticed gaining weight really helped me put size on my arms too... i gained about 8 pounds in 8 weeks and my arms got close to 1/2 inch bigger
    since i have stopped gaining weight my arms have slowed in growth.. so i agree with needing to eat lots of food!!!!

Ecoli die
    Have you been putting on mass on the rest of your body? If you've been adding good mass and size to the rest of your body but you haven't been adding to the arms, then your workout isn't hard enough or you are doing arms too often. And your tri's are the big muscles in your arms. I think most of that has been said, but I wanted to throw in my $.02

No matter what age you are, you can add bulk without adding significant fat, but it's much more difficult and slow when you are older (less growth hormones). It's a matter of changing recouperative abilities when you get older.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

I read somewhere that you have to gain 10lbs of weight to gain an inch on your arms.
    oringinally posted by vido

that is a bit general fella, depends on what your training; intensity, frequency, etc... is and then theres your genetics, plus what your eating to gain those 10 pounds.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

"To gain 1" on your arms, you must gain 10 lbs." If that's so then when you lose 10 lbs you should lose an inch off your arms.......
    I lost alotta weight and my arms have stayed the same, so stop listening to bs like this and just keep working hard.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody