The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

My training - what do you think?.

I am new to this forum, but I have been training for a while. I just don't have any luck with the quality of information and opinions on other forums. Hopefully this one will be different.

I'm more interested in strongman than PL........but this is the routine I work with since I only have a "regular" gym.

Monday:

Heavy Deadlifts- warm-up with work sets 500-550x4x6-2 (I also work off of a platform some weeks, pulling out of the hole)
    Heavy rack pulls- Heavy as possible and position varies
    Heavy BB rows- 285x3x6
    DB rows- 100x3x10
    Shrugs 4x10-40 (wide grip BB and DB)
    Power Cleans 185x3x10
    BB Curls
    Hammer Curls

*the type of row changes almost weekly along with which ones I go super heavy on. I often add plate rows, or change over to DB rows as sets 6-3 instead of working BB rows that heavy.

Tuesday:

Behind the Neck shoulder Press: Warm-up with work sets 185x4x6
    Pull-ups 5x6 -10 *done right after I set the bar down from Behind the Necks.
    Seated DB Press- 80x6-10x3 90x4x2
    Front raises- 50x4x8 *as strict as possible
    Side raises- 50x4x8 *as strict as possible

BB French press- 135x3x15
    Tri extension-

Wednesday:

Abs and light cardio. Mostly Rest.

Thursday:

Heavy Squats warm-up with work sets 500-550x4x6-2 *Some weeks I work squats starting out of the bottom position, pausing each rep
    Heavy Partials- heavyx3x3 *working to a single some weeks
    Hack squats- 5x5-3 *sometimes use BB for behind the leg BB partial hack squats
    Anderson Front Squats 3x6-10
    Stiff leg DL 3x10 *mostly for a good hamstring stretch
    Calf raises 4x10-40 *seated and standing
    Leg Extension and curls 3x6-10

Friday:

BB Bench Press 285-315 5x5-3 *alternate weekly or every couple of weeks to DB bench.
    Floor Press- heavy
    Incline DB press- 4x6-10
    DB Fly- 4x12-15
    One arm strict seated press 5x5 heavy
    Close Grip Bench

After I complete the "core" lift so to speak, I move on to using little rest(1-3MINUTES).

I also try to add DB swings and snatches(because of the lack of KB's). Walking with weight, farmers walk and etc wherever they can be substituted or added in.

Everything is raw and use only a belt on heavy sets. DL I dont use straps. I am contemplating on competing in a PL meet in November. I also have even a stronger interest in competing strongman(which I have done years ago).

I have recently found a gym that offers ALL the equipment needed, but they don't allow 'members' only people they can train. So I have to train in a 'regular' gym.

Any thoughts on the shoulder and chest side of things especially would be appreciated.

****In one week I squat heavy and Dead light and alternate from there. If I don't pull to ME then I do some pretty intense work. Such as add sets of 20 at the end and things like that.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks solid. Id personally switch behind the neck presses for standing mili presses though. Never a big fan of those. If training for strongman, straps arent a bad idea to pull more on occassion since they are allowed.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Looks solid. Id personally switch behind the neck presses for standing mili presses though. Never a big fan of those. If training for strongman, straps arent a bad idea to pull more on occassion since they are allowed.
    Thanks Brian. Straps are a great idea, been thinking about it. I also do military presses, i rotate them for change every so often.

You do a ton of bench pressing for someone interested mainly in strongman. The strongman people I know do a variety of standing overhead work and maybe some incline bench presses. I would recommend getting rid of some of the bench press stuff, seated presses, and flyes and add in some type of push press. Most strongman competitions don't require a strict press, so it's a good idea to get used to using leg drive and feeling heavier weights overhead. Doing an occasional heavy BP or a BP movement as assistance is fine, but overhead work should be the focus if strongman is what you are after.
    With that said, overall what you have looks OK. I would be careful about doing heavy SQ, heavy partial SQ, heavy DL, and heavy rack pulls every single week. This would lead to burnout and injury for some people. Depending on how you react you may consider alternating movements each week or only going heavy on 1 pull and 1 SQ movment per week.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    You do a ton of bench pressing for someone interested mainly in strongman. The strongman people I know do a variety of standing overhead work and maybe some incline bench presses. I would recommend getting rid of some of the bench press stuff, seated presses, and flyes and add in some type of push press. Most strongman competitions don't require a strict press, so it's a good idea to get used to using leg drive and feeling heavier weights overhead. Doing an occasional heavy BP or a BP movement as assistance is fine, but overhead work should be the focus if strongman is what you are after.
    With that said, overall what you have looks OK. I would be careful about doing heavy SQ, heavy partial SQ, heavy DL, and heavy rack pulls every single week. This would lead to burnout and injury for some people. Depending on how you react you may consider alternating movements each week or only going heavy on 1 pull and 1 SQ movment per week.

Sean, great input. I will be looking into that. I have only been back to full training for about 6 months after a serious accident a few years back, so this was/is something to get my core strength back. I have also looked at Tom M.'s complex workout stuff. So I am going to change everything up soon. I do bench because I am not sure what meet I will compete in first. I may be competing in the USAPL Georgia and Southern States November 5th and 6th.

But overall as I continue to train I will be changing things up, hopefully to get in to some strongman meets.

Thanks bro.

Wannabebig Member
    overall it looks like a very goog workout . the one thing that concerns me is on monday you do cleans toward the end of your workout. that is an explosive speed exercise that should be done first. when you watch WSM those olympic lifters do very well cause of their explosiveness, plus when you do cleans that late in your workout will be slower which could train your body to be slower . i think the fact that your dl is 500-550 and yuor cleans are ony 185 says alot

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goll65 View Post
    overall it looks like a very goog workout . the one thing that concerns me is on monday you do cleans toward the end of your workout. that is an explosive speed exercise that should be done first. when you watch WSM those olympic lifters do very well cause of their explosiveness, plus when you do cleans that late in your workout will be slower which could train your body to be slower . i think the fact that your dl is 500-550 and yuor cleans are ony 185 says alot

You are right. Thanks for the input. I actually didn't do them this week.

Wannabebig New Member
    Well I am really inspired from you work out routine . I hope that this might be really helpful for me in my workout routine . thanks for sharing nice post here .