Thread: Deadlift problems

Wannabebig Member

Deadlift problems

Hi I am new to these boards and I would appreciate some help.
    I have been involved in strength training for about 8 years and have seen constant improvement in all my lifts except deads. I have recently been trying and failing to pull 495. My squat is 700+ but I cannot seem to pull 495 past my knees. I get stuck right below my knees and everything I do fails.
    What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stlstrongman View Post
    Hi I am new to these boards and I would appreciate some help.
    I have been involved in strength training for about 8 years and have seen constant improvement in all my lifts except deads. I have recently been trying and failing to pull 495. My squat is 700+ but I cannot seem to pull 495 past my knees. I get stuck right below my knees and everything I do fails.
    What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

How tall are you and what do you weigh? What does your deadlift training look like? and finally what are your training goals? are you competing in anything?

its probably a weakness in the glutes, train them hard.
    Division 1 shotputter.

Rack pulls/block pulls where you're sticking at, deadlifts againts bands, glute work, low back work. What kind of deadlift workout are you following?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    I am 5'9" about 330. So short with thick legs and shorter arms.

I usually do them on my lower body days. One week I will concentrate on my squats and the next I will concentrate on deads. On squat days I usually do some kind of variation, recently it has been Rack Pulls, for sets between 12-15. On the other days I usually to 3-5 sets to failure going no less than 5 reps

Wannabebig Member
    As far as training goals I have a strongman competition in September but is more of a warm up for December when I will have my first competition not as a novice. It seems as my deads is the only lift holding me back

Wannabebig Member
    As far as training goals I have a strongman competition in September but is more of a warm up for December when I will have my first competition not as a novice. It seems as my deads is the only lift holding me back
    Rack pulls seem like they would do the trick. They do for me. You are heavier though, so the only thing I can think of is that your size could be getting in the way of you getting good form and causing you to perform more of a SL dead.

Wannabebig Member
    Would you consider SL to be more beneficial than bent legged? For transitioning into strongman what would be a more useful exercise?
    Thanks again

Wannabebig Member
    Would you consider SL to be more beneficial than bent legged? For transitioning into strongman what would be a more useful exercise?
    Thanks again
    I think regular deadlifts would work better as you use more overall muscle. You could use SL for assistance lift. I personally do them relatively heavy when I cycle them in.

Like has been stated before you should check out strengthening your glutes. Check this article out:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/t...-and-deadlift/

It talks about deadlifts in there.

Hope all works out man!

Wannabebig Member
    This is the one I meant to send you. This article has helped me a lot. The other one is also good though.

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/d...ke-a-champion/

Wannabebig Member
    Those are awesome... thanks man

It is really tough for the Dickie do's to get in a good starting position for the deadlift.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Pulling against bands!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I am 5'9" about 330. So short with thick legs and shorter arms.

I usually do them on my lower body days. One week I will concentrate on my squats and the next I will concentrate on deads. On squat days I usually do some kind of variation, recently it has been Rack Pulls, for sets between 12-15. On the other days I usually to 3-5 sets to failure going no less than 5 reps
    This sounds like you have absolutely no structured program, therefore you're only testing your one rep max whenever you feel like it, or every other week? Find a program and stick to it, and your numbers will go up. Doing "this" one week, then "this" another week, and if you feel like it, you'll do "this" etc just isn't going to give you any good, GOOD, results. Losing weight will help with the numbers too, as Joey said, hard for a Dickie Do (someone who's stomach sticks out further than his penis) to get down to the bar and keep things tight and lined up for a pull. I'm proud to say, recently, I can see my penis when I bend down, and my DL has gone up 50lbs while on a cut. Question though...you said you squat one week, then deadlift the next week...are you saying you only squat once every two weeks, and deadlift once every two weeks? Do you progress on ANY lift that way?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May