Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netfix price increase

Netfix price increase

Anybody else upset by the Netflix price hike? It is now cheaper to use Redbox, so I'll be canceling. I have the one DVD at a time contract and I average only 4 or 5 DVDs a month.That works out to about $2.00 a DVD, too much if you ask me.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Is there a hike on just the streaming?

From the sounds of it this isn't going to go over well. I've seen about a dozen facebook complaints about it in the last day and I don't even have that many friends.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

You used to get streaming and one DVD at a time for $10.00 a month. They have now split the two (streaming and DVDs) and are going to charge $7.99 for each. 60% increase. My biggest complaint is that $8.00 is too much for 4 or 5 DVD rentals when Redbox is only $1.00 each.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yeah, I'm pissed too. I just discovered Netflix this summer and I was really excited about it. I'm not paying $16 a month for it. I'll probably go for the DVD-only option initially, but once I go back to school I wouldn't be surprised if I find I'm not using it and cancel altogether.

It's sad because a lot of people will probably get pissed off and downgrade, but since it's a god damn 60% price hike (if you're getting live streaming + 1 DVD at a time), they'll still make more money overall
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Check out Netflix's facebook page. They announcement post has over 64k comments, there are some really upset people.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I never do the DVDs, just streaming, so it doesn't affect me in the least. Still one of the best deals out there. Blame Sony and others- these services will all only get more expensive as time goes on.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

House Lannister
    I'ma ragequit Netflix come September.

Edit: Anyone interested in a replacement service, I'd take a look at Blockbuster. Right now it's 12 bucks a month for one DISC out at a time (movie, bluray, video game), plus I BELIEVE streaming as well, and you can exchange discs at any blockbuster as well.

I heard Blockbuster was lowering the price to 10 bucks a month too...
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 07-15-2011 at 08:43 AM.

I am going to cancel my service, would rather get HBO or Showtime and have the on demand feature. Sure you don't get exactly what you want but they have some decent movies and really good tv series.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I'ma ragequit Netflix come September.

Edit: Anyone interested in a replacement service, I'd take a look at Blockbuster. Right now it's 12 bucks a month for one DISC out at a time (movie, bluray, video game), plus I BELIEVE streaming as well, and you can exchange discs at any blockbuster as well.

I heard Blockbuster was lowering the price to 10 bucks a month too...
    NM, Blockbuster costs don't include streaming.

Hulu
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Soilwork addict.
    There is nothing Netflix can do. Licensing costs are increasing 20 fold. You can thank the greedy movie industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    There is nothing Netflix can do. Licensing costs are increasing 20 fold. You can thank the greedy movie industry.
    They could bump it up to two movies at a time to make it worth my money and not send me to Redbox.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    They could bump it up to two movies at a time to make it worth my money and not send me to Redbox.
    Everyone else's fees are going to go up to because of this. They just haven't announced it.

Maybe I am just reading it wrong.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/tech...ract/index.htm
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.

Just download movies off the net, piracy =winning.
    Last edited by krazylarry; 07-15-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    Netflix streaming also uses a crazy amount of total bandwidth, and given that Comcast has merged with NBC, I imagine a lot of bargaining had to take place for Netflix to keep the rights to NBC shows and other affiliates.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

I cancelled. I can't justify paying for the streaming. The movie and shows on there aren't worth the money. The only thing I like streaming are the documentaries. I will get the occasional movie I was at Blockbuster express.

The thing that will make it interesting is what happens when more internet providers start charging you based on bandwidth usage? Are you going to pay netflix to stream and then have to pay more for your internet?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I cancelled. I can't justify paying for the streaming. The movie and shows on there aren't worth the money. The only thing I like streaming are the documentaries. I will get the occasional movie I was at Blockbuster express.

The thing that will make it interesting is what happens when more internet providers start charging you based on bandwidth usage? Are you going to pay netflix to stream and then have to pay more for your internet?
    Since the big Internet providers are also the big cable companies, that is certainly what is going to happen. They are going to get their money one way or the other.

Just get under the bar!

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Since the big Internet providers are also the big cable companies, that is certainly what is going to happen. They are going to get their money one way or the other.
    And once everyone finally realizes the internet has taken tv's place of entertainment, they will censor it.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    ITT a bunch of people that don't know how to torrent.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I don't like it, but you have to understand that those companies are all running at a loss or very low profit margin in order to build their businesses thus making them more attractive to investors etc. Once they get to a certain size they decide they need to turn into real businesses which actually make a reasonable profit (or they get bought by someone that does). That is the internet start-up way.

The fee still seems very reasonable to me. I will not close my account.

I have streaming on xbox live, and hate it. I end up using hulu, or torrents for movies/shows. Seems netflix is always slow to add new episodes of any show that's not mainstream. I don't play many xbox live games anymore, so I'll likely just cancel the account and let it go.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I really like their streaming feature but if they are gonna increase the price for it, at least make it work 100% of the time on my Nintendo Wii. I experience at least one connection error (on Netflix's part) due to some BS server issue. I watch the stream about every night from 7pm-midnight every other day and I will get this server error that leaves me hanging for 5-10 minutes. One time the error lasted 4 hours. Netflix discounted my bill (which came out to like $1.xx or so) but spur of the moment counts!

I haven't done much research but I am considering other options such as $1 Redbox gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    I really like their streaming feature but if they are gonna increase the price for it, at least make it work 100% of the time on my Nintendo Wii. I experience at least one connection error (on Netflix's part) due to some BS server issue. I watch the stream about every night from 7pm-midnight every other day and I will get this server error that leaves me hanging for 5-10 minutes. One time the error lasted 4 hours. Netflix discounted my bill (which came out to like $1.xx or so) but spur of the moment counts!

I haven't done much research but I am considering other options such as $1 Redbox gigs.
    What do you watch for 4 hours a day?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I'll take the hit. Netflix is way underpriced anyway.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I think my biggest issue is that it was a 60% increase all at once. Really makes you want to look for alternatives when they hit you big like that. I may just go to their multiple DVD program and pass on the streaming all-together.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal