The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

First timer need help!

ok so im wanting to get bigger but don't know were to start.
    im 22 my height is 5 feet 8 inches
    and im 12 stone.

i want to bulk up and get bigger.
    im looking to buy a multi gym http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...m/10951_p.html
    are these any good for getting bigger or would i be better buying something else.

are there any good training programes you recommend i follow to acheive this?
    i would be greatfull for any help you can give me.

Matthew

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

_________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    thanks i have read through it but i find it very hard to actually understand the training programme and which one is suitable for me.
    i can see what exercises need to be done but i cant see how many reps and sets i need to do?
    Last edited by mattgriff88; 06-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.

If HCT-12 is too tough for you to understand, then you should definitely start with something much more basic and regimented. I would suggest using the Starting Strength routine to build a base of knowledge on basic weightlifting. You can Google "Starting Strength" and get a pretty good idea of how to do it, but it would be even better if you order the book.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    If HCT-12 is too tough for you to understand, then you should definitely start with something much more basic and regimented. I would suggest using the Starting Strength routine to build a base of knowledge on basic weightlifting. You can Google "Starting Strength" and get a pretty good idea of how to do it, but it would be even better if you order the book.
    i know the basics but will take a look to see if its to basic for me if you know what i mean,
    however on the HCT-12 i think programme 2 would be most suitable A-B-A-B just need to know how heavy should i lift, how many sets and reps.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgriff88 View Post
    i know the basics but will take a look to see if its to basic for me if you know what i mean,
    however on the HCT-12 i think programme 2 would be most suitable A-B-A-B just need to know how heavy should i lift, how many sets and reps.
    from what i can gather i first need to find out the maximum i can lift.
    so if i could pull down 100Kg for my actual exercise i would only need to do 80% off this which is 80Kg
    as for the reps i need to do 50 reps of each excercise but im unsure on how many sets i need to do?

i know im asking basic questions for you but im keen on getting organized and in to a routine so i can get big and in shape.
    Last edited by mattgriff88; 06-29-2011 at 12:16 PM.

You do a set of 6, increase the weight, do a set of 6, etc. until you reach the heaviest weight you can do for 6 reps, then you wait 20-30 seconds and do 2 more reps, 20-30 seconds and 2 more, and 20 seconds and 2 more. Read the entire article please, it goes in depth as to the specifics.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Wannabebig Member
    im looking to buy a multi gym http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...m/10951_p.html
    are these any good for getting bigger or would i be better buying something else.
    For that price you can find a used power rack and olympic barbell set.

Wannabebig Member
    ok i have read through it but i think i need to read it again to understand the programme.

as for the multi gym i have selected im not sure what is best to be honest what would you recommend?

It might be unconventional advice Matt, but I'll tell you what worked for me....

Keep it simple. You might get all sorts of different advice, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. In my opinion, there's more than one right way to do something. I've always kept these general rules:

Low reps. It tears the muscle differently and repairs bigger. If I can push it more than 10, I bump the weight up. (for the most part)
    Lots of meals. I eat 5+ times a day. Low carb, lots of meat (a variety), next green veggies, then after that, some carbs.
    Burn Calories - I've got my little cardio and ab routine. I want to be big too, but not "big". *holds belly*
    Repair - Lifting tears the muscle. When you're not lifting is when you're actually building. I do all my lifting every 3rd day.

I'm not trying to contradict anyone else here. I've been given a lot of advice. Some of it I dismissed. Some of it I accepted.
    Its ok to disagree, but if you find something that works, keep at it. Don't let someone knock you off your square, trying to get you to fix something that's not broken.

Ironically, I've passed up all my spotters in regards to overall strength. Something's working.

Wannabebig Member
    ok thanks for the help so far.

i have put a training routine together following the HCT-12 programme.
    here is what i have.

5 sets of 6 reps per exercise increasing in weight each set until the last set is barely liftable. Rack the bar. Rest as long as you need before attempting two more reps, approximately 30-60 seconds. Rack the bar, breathe deeply for another approx thirty-seconds and try for another two reps.
    Deload week at the end of the foruth week.
    i havent decided on which exact exercise i will be doing for each section depends which i think is best for me when i buy my gym equiptment.

Monday
    A
    Vertical Pulling
    Horizontal Pulling
    Horizontal Press
    Vertical Press
    Triceps Exercise

Wednesday
    B
    Quad dominant
    Hip dominant
    Calf Exercise
    Biceps Exercise
    Abs

Friday
    A
    Vertical Pulling
    Horizontal Pulling
    Horizontal Press
    Vertical Press
    Triceps Exercise
    Saturday
    B
    Quad dominant
    Hip dominant
    Calf Exercise
    Biceps Exercise
    Abs

Diet

Current weight = 169lb
    Target weight = 196lb
    294g of protein perday = 1176 kcal
    98g of fat perday = 882 Kcal
    269.5g of carbs perday = 1078 Kcal
    Total = 3136 Kcal

60-90 minutes pre-workout, have a solid, balanced meal:
    •Protein = 49g
    •Carbs = 49g
    •Amount of fat doesn’t really matter as long as it fits into your total for the day

or:

30-0 minutes pre-workout - (and/or sipped throughout the workout), have a liquid or easily digested meal:
    •Protein = 49g
    •Carbs = 49g

Within 1hr minutes post-workout, have either a liquid or solid meal:
    •Protein = 49g
    •Carbs = 49g-98g
    The amount of fat doesn’t really matter as long as it fits into your total for the day.

What do you think?
    have i done something wrong or missed anything?

Matthew

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    30 pounds? over the course of what time period. Keep your goals in mind when you talk weight training. It doesn't come fast.

I'm 22 and weigh 13 stone. I used to be a bit less than 12 stone when I first started lifting a a few years back.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    this is what i was unsure of.
    although i said my target weight is 196lb i don't expect it to happen overnight.

how long do you think it would take to acheive this weight?
    have i miscaluclated the calories?
    should i aim for 176lb first over the first couple of months then 186lb and then finally 196lb?

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    A goal is a goal. Perhaps a more long term goal, but a goal nevertheless.

How long depends on a variety of factors, diet, frequency, intensity, how your body reacts to training/ diet.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    ok i have read through it but i think i need to read it again to understand the programme.

as for the multi gym i have selected im not sure what is best to be honest what would you recommend?
    I bought this power rackm I put two links, because amazon lists two: http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PPR2...9483482&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Pow...9483482&sr=8-2

Also, I bought this bench:

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-JD2-2-Fla...9483571&sr=1-2

Very sturdy for a decent price. The power rack has a chin bar too.

I bought this after a long lay-off from a local gym. Including my 300-lb olympic weight set, it paid for itself (no gym fees) within the first 14 months.

Wannabebig Member
    ok after decideing on a training programme i have now put a diet together following the HCT-12 routine.
    im not sure if its any good but i have come up with this critisism welcome.

8AM
    100g of alpen
    50g of peanuts
    actimel (yougurt drink)
    apple
    banana
    tangerine

11AM
    200g of CCChicken
    pasta 100g
    orange
    plums
    nectarines

2:00PM Dinner
    skinlesschicken 250g
    pasta 100g
    Edam cheese 100g

5PM pre workout meal
    Beef 200g
    potato
    Vedgtables
    Yougurt

6:30PM
    WORKOUT

8PM
    Tuna
    bread roll

Total= Kcal 3112.25 protein 292.30g fat 72.95 carbs 317.70
    is this ok obviously it will vary slightly and i probably will swap certain foods with simular nutritional value not to get bored of eating the same thing.

is there anything you would change add or remove?

i have to do the workout late in the day due to work.

im also thinking of buying his Power Rack http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...th-package.php

Last edited by mattgriff88; 07-18-2011 at 12:29 PM.