The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Assisted Dips vs Bench

Since I'm not able to do 1 dip of my bodyweight, I started doing dips the last month. I've been able to slowly move the pin up. I don't know if it's strength gains, weight loss or a combination of both, but it feels good.

I'm doing Bill Star's 5x5 but decided I wanted to be able to get a full set of 5 reps of my bodyweight as a goal. I'm wondering how much this will affect my bench when I move back? Would moving back to bench and waiting till my bench gets stronger and my body weight drops be a better approach to reaching that small goal I've set for myself?
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bump:

No advice?

If you are not competing, I don't see anything wrong with doing bar dips instead of bench press.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I've been able to slowly move the pin up. I don't know if it's strength gains, weight loss or a combination of both, but it feels good.
    Sounds like what you're doing is working. I'd say keep doing it.

Would moving back to bench and waiting till my bench gets stronger and my body weight drops be a better approach to reaching that small goal I've set for myself?
    I don't think so. If you want to get better at doing dips then dips should be part of your routine.

Tricep strength is a big factor in dips, at least for me. When I went to HCT 12, it caused me to employ the triceps quite a bit more on my upper body days than I had done before, and my dips benefited from it. Could be coincidence, it's just a theory of mine.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Wannabebig New Member
    also make sure you are doing the right form for dips. you can make them more chest oriented or tricep oriented depending on the angle you bend your arms at.

Quote Originally Posted by bgb1990 View Post
    also make sure you are doing the right form for dips. you can make them more chest oriented or tricep oriented depending on the angle you bend your arms at.
    Which angles are best for which? I'm going down until my biceps are parallel, my head and chest slightly forward, press up, never locking, stay up for a second, back down.

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    Which angles are best for which? I'm going down until my biceps are parallel, my head and chest slightly forward, press up, never locking, stay up for a second, back down.
    He is talking about leaning foreward to hit the chest more, or staying upright to hit the triceps more. Personally I think you just find the position and form that let's you use the most weight and doesn't injure you. I don't think the slight variations make a big difference in what muscles get hit.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'll second what offroad said.

I couldn't do a body weight set of dips when I started HCT-12, and I was bench pressing 40 lb dumbbells. I kept at it for 6 months, and now I can do 3 sets of 12 and I'm adding weight. I've benched 210lbs. It's not big, but it's a lot of progress for me.

Some guys in the gym were to insecure to do the assisted dip machine, because they thought it would make them look like a bitch. Those fat idiots still can't do dips. hahahah I think the assisted dip machine is good to teach you to go deep. Good luck with what you do.

Speaking totally from my own experience, I started doing tricep (bench) dips and started adding weight to them, once I could do them with a good amount of added weight I was able to do bar dips.