Thread: Shoulder-area pain

Shoulder-area pain

When I finish a set ov overhead press (bb or db) and I put the weight on the ground, as I am bending over the weight comes down right before I put it on the ground, I get pain in my left shoulder-area. It is kind of right behind my collar bone where I feel it.

I feel no pain during any lifts at all, just putting down weights. Anyone got any idea what the problem is? Been happening for months but not getting any worse

Banned
    Sounds like impingement , which doesn't really narrow anything down.

What happens if you dont set the weight down, but instead use a rack? Do you never experience the pain then?

Using a rack I wouldn't feel the pain, but I still get the pain from putting dumbells down

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Using a rack I wouldn't feel the pain, but I still get the pain from putting dumbells down
    Anytime you put dumbells down, or just after pressing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Anytime you put dumbells down, or just after pressing?
    Whenever I put them down the same way - leaning over holding the dumbell and putting it on the floor. If I put it down like a reverse deadlift kind of thing there would be no pain

Wannabebig New Member
    If you lie on your shoulder with your arm extended outward, do you feel any pain?
    How about if you tilt your head to the right like a stretch, do you feel the pain?

I'm thinking maybe...just maybe it has something to do with your traps...try some stretches and see it that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 808Pump View Post
    If you lie on your shoulder with your arm extended outward, do you feel any pain?
    How about if you tilt your head to the right like a stretch, do you feel the pain?

I'm thinking maybe...just maybe it has something to do with your traps...try some stretches and see it that helps.
    No pain doing those stretches. But it may be to do with traps, as you have just reminded me I used to do shrugs with fairly sloppy form and that is when the pain initially started. If I shrug and concentrate on lifting the wait with my traps then there is no pain

Banned
    Im no PT or anything but it sounds like some form of sub-acromyial impingment. Could be related to tendonitis or bursitis as well.

If im understanding you correctly it hurts when you allow your shoulders to round over as your are setting the DBs down, but if you keep your shoulders retracted and set them down like in good dealift form theres no pain?

If this is the case, just avoid setting them down improperly and work on strenthening the mid traps. I like the 'no money' band exercise. If its something that gets worse or wont go away, maybe see a PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Im no PT or anything but it sounds like some form of sub-acromyial impingment. Could be related to tendonitis or bursitis as well.

If im understanding you correctly it hurts when you allow your shoulders to round over as your are setting the DBs down, but if you keep your shoulders retracted and set them down like in good dealift form theres no pain?

If this is the case, just avoid setting them down improperly and work on strenthening the mid traps. I like the 'no money' band exercise. If its something that gets worse or wont go away, maybe see a PT.
    I will give that a try and hopefully will help.

Do deadlifts & rows strengthen mid-traps?

Also another pain I have been getting on the same shoulder lately, slight pain in the back of my shoulder when I do this stretch:

Not sure if it's related though, as the pain is never felt together I don't think. Any ideas of what the problem could be or how to fix it? I have previously taken a week off to see if the issue disappeared but it made no difference

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    During your sets the tendons attached to your clavicle are being tensed and shorten. These include those attached to muscles in the neck shoulder and pectorals. When you lower the weights you are suddenly stretching them. Be aware of your posture during presses (it usually affects the dominant side more). Keep the scapulae back and down same as you should do for all movements involving the shoulder, and resist arching back as the shoulders get tired (i.e. using more anterior deltoid to complete the lift) which will make it worse. Also be sure to use a full range of movement so that the tissues are stretched between each rep.

Ok thanks. So all the advice basically points to me taking more care lowering the weights, I will do that and see how it goes

Thanks all!

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    Correct posture is more important than the way you lower the weights.

Ok this pain is now getting worse. Not so much putting dumbells down now, but I'm feeling it when I move my left arm like if I do a shoulder press movement, where my upper arm passes parallel. I can also hear/feel a slight click kinda. It is worse if I do a dumbell shoulder press movement where my arm is more parallel with my body as opposed to kinda infront like you would be with a barbell shoulder press.

I have been doing some rotator cuff exercises lately (L-fly and upright-fly) and they seem to fix it for the night, but pain comes back. Might stop doing these..

Now that I have pinpointed it a bit more, anyone know what the problem might be or how to fix it?

Bump

I have some shoulder pain right now too. Really the first time for me. My plan is to take it easy on thye pressing movements until it feels better. Pretty simple, if it hurts, don't do it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I have some shoulder pain right now too. Really the first time for me. My plan is to take it easy on thye pressing movements until it feels better. Pretty simple, if it hurts, don't do it.
    It's only incline and overhead presses that hurt so I am stopping them this week & will just do two flat bench sessions. Annoying thing is though it really doesn't hurt much once I'm warmed up but when I cool down its back to mass pain... hopefully this week without overhead/incline will sort it out though

There are so many different things that a shoulder pain could be related to it's going to be nearly impossible to concretely diagnose the problem via internet description. I would strongly encourage you to see an orthopedic and describe your symptoms to him and possibly get an MRI.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    It's only incline and overhead presses that hurt so I am stopping them this week & will just do two flat bench sessions. Annoying thing is though it really doesn't hurt much once I'm warmed up but when I cool down its back to mass pain... hopefully this week without overhead/incline will sort it out though
    I have found that doing a bunch of very deep, but somewhat light db flat pec flys before pressing helps with this alot. Hold in the stretched position for as long as possible for 2-3 separate 'stretch sets.' This always seems to loosen my shoulders up. That and shoulder dislocations.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    There are so many different things that a shoulder pain could be related to it's going to be nearly impossible to concretely diagnose the problem via internet description. I would strongly encourage you to see an orthopedic and describe your symptoms to him and possibly get an MRI.
    If it hasn't improved in a week I will see a doc