The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

seasoned lifters advice wanted...

still trying to make sure i'm assessing myself properly. My bench is shooting up and fast every two weeks adding 10lbs and finally put up a double with 370 raw. I've decided that since I'm 12 weeks out from the meet just to stay with the weight and work on letting my body catch up and not outrunning my joints/ tendons and ligaments. I only need to bench 350-360 so making sure I can triple this weight for a few sets would leave me happy.

I still believe my shoulders are my weak point and am open to suggestions on building them up. I've been doing seated military presses in the smith since they hit it hard and feels good without irritating the shoulders at all. HOWEVER even though I can bench 370 with relative ease... I still can't seated press 200lbs from my collar bone over my head.

let me have it guys!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Let me get this straight, you are very pleased with your bench progress, but you want to change something? You said you are doing a meet, is there an overhead component to it? If not and you are happy with your progress I'd just stay the course.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

yes sir! VERY pleased with the progress i'm just thinking about longevity. I believe the bench alone will help my front delts in time as long as I keep up the bench work and not push it too far.

If I brought my delts up from the current situation however....i'd think it would have a big impact on my bench.

Why do you only need to bench 350-360?
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

to be able to get the push pull raw total I'd like at 198. Shooting for a grand or better.

Don't limit your self. 1000 is just a number. Don't chase milestones like that. I did that while chasing 800 in the bench. It cost me a quite few pr,s before I realized that 5 lbs here 5 lbs there adds up over time. Chase pr,s and you will get more out of the sport.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

If it ain't broke don't fix it! I know some big benchers have big overhead presses. Vinnie's is freaky. But, I don't think that it is something that always goes hand in hand. When I used to have healthy shoulders and could raw bench 450ish in the gym, I was only good for about 1/2 that on a seated overhead press; and I was pretty happy with that. Let the overhead press strength come on as it's own entity and don't fret that it is hendering your bench down the road. Just keep progressing with both and don't think one has to be here for the other to be there. Congrats on the gains and go kick butt at the meet! Good luck!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Rear delt training is more important to benching than overhead training imho. While reflecting on my logs with Dave Tate we came to the realization that my overhead was a result of my benching, not the other way around.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Yeah vin been hitting the rear delts and upper back hard after every bench session. Throughout my career I'd get a little over where I'm at now and my shoulders were just start hurting. I think when the getting is good I try to get too much and don't sustain and allow the rest of me to catch up with the strength. Thanks for the help guys. I'm with you scott I won't chase the number..but the 5lb pr that I'm hunting would give me that grand. The plan is to just go with how I'm feeling that day and if I'm pressing well then make smart calculated attempts to maximize my efforts that day without going over my capabilities. Depending on how the bench goes the deadlift will be the shoe in. I always pull whatever I need to get the job done and since it's my best lift the plan is 680 after hitting 650 for a triple monday.