Thread: Getting to single digit bodyfat

Getting to single digit bodyfat

I am sure there have been many threads about this but it's hard to search coz the search function shows results for any keyword typed in, there is no way to search for posts containing ALL your keywords. Anyway..

I am about 12% bodyfat I would say at the moment. Whenever I cut I can get down to about 10% when I go down to 2000cal per day (currently bulking on 2900 per day), but I always have a problem getting any lower.

When I restrict calories futher I seem to lose muscle and little/no fat. I don't do any cardio as at this point I get worried if I start cardio I will just lose muscle. I always keep carbs reasonably low, around 100g when down to 2000 calories.

What is the best way to lose the last few percent of bodyfat? Is cardio completely necessary? Do you have to accept muscle loss and go further low on calories e.g. 1500 per day?

My maintenance is around 2500ish calories I would say

I would say try the cardio, it is something different than what you have been doing and could work. Best to find out if it works or not by trying it.
    Division 1 shotputter.

I'm no expert or anything, but what's the purpose of getting to sub 10% bodyfat? Are you trying to get and stay around 8-9% bf? You could try dropping carbs ever so slowly.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Carb Cycling is an approach that has worked well for me in the past, not sure what level of bodyfat I got down to, but it would have been around 10%, at which I started bulking. However, If i had persisted with this I have no doubt I could have gone beyond this percentage. Might be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    I am sure there have been many threads about this but it's hard to search coz the search function shows results for any keyword typed in, there is no way to search for posts containing ALL your keywords. Anyway..

I am about 12% bodyfat I would say at the moment. Whenever I cut I can get down to about 10% when I go down to 2000cal per day (currently bulking on 2900 per day), but I always have a problem getting any lower.

When I restrict calories futher I seem to lose muscle and little/no fat. I don't do any cardio as at this point I get worried if I start cardio I will just lose muscle. I always keep carbs reasonably low, around 100g when down to 2000 calories.

What is the best way to lose the last few percent of bodyfat? Is cardio completely necessary? Do you have to accept muscle loss and go further low on calories e.g. 1500 per day?

My maintenance is around 2500ish calories I would say
    The difference between getting to 10-12% and getting lower tan 10-12% is night and day in many folks (myself included).

You do not have to accept muscle loss. 100g of carbs a day isn't a whole lot. Are you employing refeeds? How frequently?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I am not a big fan of the whole bodyfat % because that number can be so differnet from person to person on what they look like. The best thing to go by is the mirror and try to obtain the look you are going for. Everyone carries bodyfat differently. If you like what you see in the mirror thats all that matters, don't just go for number just to go for it.

Some low intensity cardio could help, but it just depends on your current training and diet. Also if youyr carbs are at 100g then you best make sure your Fats are not low because that is a recipe for muscle loss.

Quote Originally Posted by BoAnderson71 View Post
    I would say try the cardio, it is something different than what you have been doing and could work. Best to find out if it works or not by trying it.
    Thanks that's a good point, won't know till I try

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I'm no expert or anything, but what's the purpose of getting to sub 10% bodyfat? Are you trying to get and stay around 8-9% bf? You could try dropping carbs ever so slowly.
    Yeah I want to get to that level of leanness before my next bulk so that I can bulk longer

Quote Originally Posted by ozmarc View Post
    Carb Cycling is an approach that has worked well for me in the past, not sure what level of bodyfat I got down to, but it would have been around 10%, at which I started bulking. However, If i had persisted with this I have no doubt I could have gone beyond this percentage. Might be worth looking into.
    I have tried carb cycling in the past and I really don't think it has any effect on me. I think my body can handle carbs pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    The difference between getting to 10-12% and getting lower tan 10-12% is night and day in many folks (myself included).

You do not have to accept muscle loss. 100g of carbs a day isn't a whole lot. Are you employing refeeds? How frequently?
    I'm not doing refeeds especially, but twice a week (training days) I eat around 300g carbs

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    I am not a big fan of the whole bodyfat % because that number can be so differnet from person to person on what they look like. The best thing to go by is the mirror and try to obtain the look you are going for. Everyone carries bodyfat differently. If you like what you see in the mirror thats all that matters, don't just go for number just to go for it.

Some low intensity cardio could help, but it just depends on your current training and diet. Also if youyr carbs are at 100g then you best make sure your Fats are not low because that is a recipe for muscle loss.
    Yeah I am going by the mirror I'm just using the percentages to make it easier to explain what I am trying to achieve. At 10-12% I have good visible abs etc I just want to get to the next level of leanness mainly for personal satisfaction, but also I like to slow bulk for long periods of time so starting extra lean will allow me to bulk longer.
    Thanks I think I will incorporate the cardio when I get to this point. And when I eat low carbs I have up to 100g fats a day so that's no problem

Thanks for the replies all

Caffeine, Yohimbine,L-Carnitine,CLA + Morning Cardio Empty Stomach 45 minutes,low intensity.