The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Lannister

Hitler loses members to Crossfit

In b4 shitstorm.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Garage Lifter
    I like quite a few CF workouts and even have a CF coach helping me with programing and I can say that that was freaking hilarious...and whoever put that together was a full-fledged, koolaid drinking, Crossfitter at some point. The comment about Mark Twight was priceless.

BTW, I saw that at the CF Forum not too long ago. I think it made it about 15min before a mod killed it (and probably banned whoever put it up).

First the PL Feds and now CF, looks like Hitler is having a rough time lately
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I don't understand why people pick on crossfitters. What do they care if someone doesn't aspire to be the strongest or biggest they could be? Hate on the bodybuilding and powerlifting idiots who too stupid to do things right and don't achieve what they are actually aspiring to achieve. Or better yet pass your judgement on someone who doesn't even exercise and lives an unhealthy lifestyle. But why should anybody care what someone else fitness goals are?

Having said that - "If you own a pair of board shorts or eat paleo get out of the room right now" was pretty funny.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 07-24-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I don't understand why people pick on crossfitters.
    You don't???
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    You don't???
    No, I don't. Do they have an elitist mentality or something?
    Last edited by Behemoth; 07-24-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    I don't understand why people pick on crossfitters. What do they care if someone doesn't aspire to be the strongest or biggest they could be? Hate on the bodybuilding and powerlifting idiots who too stupid to do things right and don't achieve what they are actually aspiring to achieve. Or better yet pass your judgement on someone who doesn't even exercise and lives an unhealthy lifestyle. But why should anybody care what someone else fitness goals are?

Having said that - "If you own a pair of board shorts or eat paleo get out of the room right now" was pretty funny.
    It's more about the elitist attitude that SOME crossfitters have than the actual training. I know I used to do a bunch of crossfit-esque workouts a year or two ago. If I were to stop being a wannabe bodybuilder I'd probably end up trying out and 'competing' in some sort of crossfit games. No doubt it is challenging, but some people associated with crossfit have a MASSIVE chip on their shoulders about their training.

House Lannister
    No, I don't? Do they have an elitist mentality or something?
    lol.

No, I don't. Do they have an elitist mentality or something?
    No more so than any other group. I was saying it a bit tongue in cheek. It's rarely the folks who really know what they're doing who get elitist and obnoxious... that can be said for most disciplines.

However, it's striking how many different people have stories about crossfit aficionados and their "elitism", crossfitters taking over the gym doing massive circuits and performing olympic lifts with horrendous form, etc. etc. etc.

Partially, it's a victim of its own success. It's become very mainstream, and with greater numbers comes a greater overall number of douches.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 07-24-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

The only crossfitters I've been around have been complete arrogant pieces of shit that sit on their thrown and think their shit don't stink. There are some guys that do crossfit for cardio or whatever and don't do it NON STOP that I can deal with, but there have been some hardcore CF people that I had to fight back the urge to just punch in the face. I don't care what they believe or what they do, if what they're doing works for them, awesome, but they really, really try to push that shit off on everyone, and when you show them that what they're doing is half rep/injury prone/horrible form they argue, and don't stop. It's crossfit people themselves that put themselves up on their high pedestal, those that act like that deserve all the shit they get. But to me, it's like the difference between bodybuilding and powerlfting, I love them both.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I think out of any fitness community, crossfit is extremely driven by groupthink. I've seen good coaches, and people with good form, but damn I've seen A LOT of crossfitters with horrendus form. I'd go into detail, but I might as well post in the crossfit thread in strength and powerlifting.

I had a nice laugh watching this opening at Powerhouse today.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    The only crossfitters I've been around have been complete arrogant pieces of shit that sit on their thrown and think their shit don't stink. There are some guys that do crossfit for cardio or whatever and don't do it NON STOP that I can deal with, but there have been some hardcore CF people that I had to fight back the urge to just punch in the face. I don't care what they believe or what they do, if what they're doing works for them, awesome, but they really, really try to push that shit off on everyone, and when you show them that what they're doing is half rep/injury prone/horrible form they argue, and don't stop. It's crossfit people themselves that put themselves up on their high pedestal, those that act like that deserve all the shit they get.
    I've met and trained at 4 CF Boxes. Half were good and the other half not-so-much. I've talked to just as many personal trainer's at globo-gyms. Unfortunately, none of them were any good.

Its unfortunate but the ones we notice and remember are the ones that are assholes, not the guys that are quietly working by themselves and/or in their garages. I definitely agree that there are aspects of CF that attract assholes and zealots but IMO those are just the vocal minority that really like to play on the 'net.
    Last edited by StLRPh; 07-25-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I've got nothing against Crossfit, but that was funny.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I've got nothing against Crossfit, but that was funny.
    This
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    The only crossfitters I've been around have been complete arrogant pieces of shit that sit on their thrown and think their shit don't stink. There are some guys that do crossfit for cardio or whatever and don't do it NON STOP that I can deal with, but there have been some hardcore CF people that I had to fight back the urge to just punch in the face. I don't care what they believe or what they do, if what they're doing works for them, awesome, but they really, really try to push that shit off on everyone, and when you show them that what they're doing is half rep/injury prone/horrible form they argue, and don't stop. It's crossfit people themselves that put themselves up on their high pedestal, those that act like that deserve all the shit they get. But to me, it's like the difference between bodybuilding and powerlfting, I love them both.
    Exactly, their is nothing wrong with crossfit, but the fans ruin it.

Soilwork addict.
    I hate fat people but I got nothing against bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Couldn't agree more. With the obesity problem in our country I'm just glad to see people doing any sort of activity honestly.

I'll admit seeing people getting a big head over it can be a bit annoying but oh well. I was at a Hispanic club last week and I can't even begin to count the number of guys wearing really tight shirts that had no business wearing one. They all claimed to workout but either they just started or went once a month if that.

One guys gut was sticking out farther then anything else on his body through the shirt. This other guy was pretty big in the arms but his chest did not exist at all it just looked weird. Still he wasn't as bad the guy who's gut was just out for everyone to see. When your gut is sticking out further then your chest wear a bigger shirt and save the tight shirts until your ready.

House Lannister

Bump

What the average person thinks a crossfitter looks like:

Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    What the average person thinks a crossfitter looks like:

Reality.
    Bwahahahaha.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    We have a satelite of CrossFit at the Powerhouse Gym I work at, and frankly....they all look like MILFs to me.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Funny ass video

But seriously Crossfit is a pretty intense workout. There are some big dudes in our gym that lift some real weight and do crossfit as they're cardio

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Methods View Post
    But seriously Crossfit is a pretty intense workout. There are some big dudes in our gym that lift some real weight and do crossfit as they're cardio
    Yar, I really don't have anything against it. It's just an easy target.

I have the same attitude about Crossfit that I do about non-competitive marathon runners and triathletes (sorry Belial . Both tend to have a chip on their shoulder because they completed a marathon or a triathlon or a WOD, even though their time sucked dick. Same thing with Crossfit. Yea it's hard, but you completed Fran in 6 hours. Not impressed.

People who are competitive at both, however, I respect.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Yar, I really don't have anything against it. It's just an easy target.

I have the same attitude about Crossfit that I do about non-competitive marathon runners and triathletes (sorry Belial . Both tend to have a chip on their shoulder because they completed a marathon or a triathlon or a WOD, even though their time sucked dick. Same thing with Crossfit. Yea it's hard, but you completed Fran in 6 hours. Not impressed.

People who are competitive at both, however, I respect.
    Do you only respect people who bodybuild or powerlift competitively as well? If you have that attitude for non-competitive marathon runners, triathletes, and crossfitters then wouldn't that extend to the average joe on this board who goes to the gym 3-4 times a week and does a bodybuilding/powerlifting style routine?
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Do you only respect people who bodybuild or powerlift competitively as well? If you have that attitude for non-competitive marathon runners, triathletes, and crossfitters then wouldn't that extend to the average joe on this board who goes to the gym 3-4 times a week and does a bodybuilding/powerlifting style routine?
    If they (avg joe) have an arrogance about what they do then of course. I singled out triathletes and marathon runners (probably shoulda said X-country guys) because that's where I've seen the attitude come from most in the past.

I'll describe what I mean by singling out this douchey trainer at my gym. Guy's about 5'7" or so, well-built but not crazily so, and has the worst fucking attitude I've seen in a gym in a while. When he's not training people he's doing some sort of metabolic conditioning/circuit training. Always has a douchey look on his face, never smiles, you know the drill. When he gets done with a workout he just smugly walks around like it was some big accomplishment. It's an attitude I've seen from quite a few tri-guys when I lived back home, and one I'm sure many others could relate to seeing whether it's MMA or Crossfit or whatever: unaccomplished dudes acting like they're hot shit.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 08-02-2011 at 04:53 PM.

So you basically don't like douche bags?
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405