The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Help me out

Wannabebig Member

Help me out

Hello all I just started working out for the first time in my life. I am 31 years old and loving it so far. I just have a question. I went to the gym today to work out my chest and triceps. I was having a hard time doing the same weight I had done the previous two times which isn't much at all between 40lbs and 60lbs on a machine. I have no problem being weak I just started and have never done this before and i figured it'd be hard. I am just wondering if the regress in weight is normal in the beginning? I am on a program of 6 days a week cardio three days and weight lifting 3 days mon weds and thurs alternating muscle groups. Thanks for all the help yours truly SUPERNOOB

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    It could be the result of a few things. Maybe with all the cardio and your diet you're not eating enough to promote muscle growth, maybe not enough sleep the night before, etc etc. Doesn't mean you're actually weaker just had an off day. Everyone has them.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgb1990 View Post
    It could be the result of a few things. Maybe with all the cardio and your diet you're not eating enough to promote muscle growth, maybe not enough sleep the night before, etc etc. Doesn't mean you're actually weaker just had an off day. Everyone has them.
    Thanks I did feel totally off no focus at all.

A total beginner should train a body part only once a week at first...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    A total beginner should train a body part only once a week at first...
    Wrong...two or three times is probably best.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Swirl, if you are looking to get bigger and stronger, I'd reduce the conditioning to two or three days a week. Don't over-do it, it tells the body to do the opposite of what the weight training is telling it. And make sure you eat enough to support growth.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

definitely reduce the cardio/conditioning and eat your face off if you have just started, you should be gaining at an unbelievable rate and take full advantage of it for as long as you can! id lean more towards a full body split aswel or more push/pull etc... the more compound movements you do at this stage the better(

and one major thing, learn good form early! will pay off in the long run with gains/health/recovery! everything!

good luck, now and go and grow!
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Like people have said eat more and lower the cardio, starting strength is a good workout you could maybe look at?
    Eat big. Sleep big. Lift big. Get big.

Wannabebig Member
    I am only lifting three times a week back and biceps on mon chest and triceps on weds and shoulders and legs fridays. I do cardio on tues thurs and sat because I have a lot of fat to lose in my belly. I am 6'2" and weigh 207 now. I want to get lean and gain muscle.I eat at least 150 grams of protein a day soon to be 200 and eat about 2000 healthy calories a day. I need to lose body fat my bmi is 26%. I want to be athletic build any suggestions are welcome and I really appreciate the input thanks a lot people. I am weak and have never had muscles but i have never worked on them so I am very confident i can get a nice body.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Wrong...two or three times is probably best.
    Doesn't it take a beginner longer to achieve recovery? His body isn't used to being placed under stress, would it not make sense that he needs more time for recovery initially?

What about:

MON - CHEST + SHOULDERS

WED - LOWER BODY

FRI - BACK + ARMS

SUN - CARDIO

Wouldn't that be better for a beginner?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Doesn't it take a beginner longer to achieve recovery? His body isn't used to being placed under stress, would it not make sense that he needs more time for recovery initially?

What about:

MON - CHEST + SHOULDERS

WED - LOWER BODY

FRI - BACK + ARMS

SUN - CARDIO

Wouldn't that be better for a beginner?
    Legs 3x a week would be best. You need a good base to be able to do the other shit, and nothing beats the gains you make from squatting like it's your damn job.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    Legs 3x a week would be best. You need a good base to be able to do the other shit, and nothing beats the gains you make from squatting like it's your damn job.
    Okay I am doing this

Monday Back and Biceps
    Tuesday Cardio 45 min no real heavy breathing
    Weds Chest and Triceps
    Thurs Cardio 45 min no real heavy breathing
    Fri legs and Shoulders
    Sat Cardio 45 mins no real heavy breathing
    Sun day off

I use a lot of the machines not a lot free weights
    when i do cardio it's on a treadmill at setting 4 and incline varies from 5 to ten 5 mins up and 5 mins no incline till i'm done then 5 min cool down on speed 3

Wannabebig Member
    The reason I am doing cardio 3 times weekly is because I have man boobs and a gut. I am not obese just never been fit and being 31 and eating bad your whole life catches up to you. I haven't ate red meat in nine months and never will again it's a personal choice only been working out 3 weeks and I love love love it. I eat a lot of salmon, chicken, and turkey and drink one protein shake after working out i get about 150 grams of protein daily and 2000 cals

Quote Originally Posted by Swirl54 View Post
    The reason I am doing cardio 3 times weekly is because I have man boobs and a gut. I am not obese just never been fit and being 31 and eating bad your whole life catches up to you. I haven't ate red meat in nine months and never will again it's a personal choice only been working out 3 weeks and I love love love it. I eat a lot of salmon, chicken, and turkey and drink one protein shake after working out i get about 150 grams of protein daily and 2000 cals
    150 grams of protein per day isn't enough.

You're doing WAY too much cardio if you want to gain muscle.

Yeah, maybe he should squat 3 times a week, but split the upper body exercises, in a Starting Strength type template.

But it doesn't make sense for him to bench press or overhead press 3 times a week, for instance, if he is a beginner. I'm fairly sure of this fact, not just making it up, I've read it in several highly reputable sources. Rippetoe would agree with this also, if you look at his training templates....
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-27-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Sounds like you're on track with your diet and exercise, so as the others as pointed out going backwards on a lift could be due to a number of factors i.e. lack of recovery between sessions, diet, lack of sleep one night, or sometimes because for reasons unknown it just happens. You said you weren’t able to focus properly for the session, which also would have had an effect. I've always said I'd rather be a bit "tired" physically, but switched on mentally as mind always trumps body in my experience. However, I find if doing a session when "tired" mentally but fine physically, no matter what it’s always rubbish by comparison. Try not to get to caught up in one session, your long term progression and goals are far more important, if however you find you are going backwards for a number sessions, then you'll need to reassess you diet and training schedule.

For a beginner I also agree with offroad, in training a body part 2-3 times a week as you’re essentially in the honeymoon stage for maximising muscle growth. That being the case might be worth looking to an upper/lower split for example doing for one week upper/lower/upper then the next week lower/upper/lower and repeat. Otherwise a 3 day a week full body workout might also have its merits at this point.

In all whatever you go with, just stick at it consistency is one of the most important factors.

Eric (and Swirl),
    When you first start out you need as much practice with the lifts as you can so that you get good at doing them. Also, your working weights will be lower and you won't need as long to recover. Lastly, you need to build up your conditioning to handle bigger loads and higher volume later. That's why full-body workouts are so good for beginners. As the weights get heavier and the workouts get more demanding, then it's time to split things up. Start simple and only complicate things as it becomes necessary. A lot of guys can handle three session of full-body weight lifting a week, but many will do even better on a twice a week program.

Of course there are many different ways that people can start, I'm just suggesting things that I've seen a lot of guys have really good luck with and make some pretty fast gains. You have to use the methods that you believe in so that you'll have confidence in yourself and stick to the program for a loooong time.

One last thing, don't use cardio to lose weight, use it for health and to improve your conditioning. If getting bigger and stronger is your priority, it's best at two or three moderate sessions (20 minutes) a week. If you need to shrink some fat, then get your diet under control.
    Last edited by Off Road; 07-27-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Ok can I get one of you to give me a detailed plan for lifting are machines ok? How much protein should I get a day. I like doing groups once a week I could do legs 3 times a week. I am not going to quit and see it taking a lot of work so please any help will be used and appreciated. Maybe three shakes a day 25 grams of protein each. Who knows and I don't get a lot of the lingo so dumb it down lol thanks people!!!!!!

Free weights would be better IMO than Machines, not only will this teach you the correct movements of the key lifts at lighter weights, if you select the correct exercises you'll get much more bang for your buck in terms of your goals. By the correct exercises you'll want to focus on compound lifts, that is lifts that involve a number of muscle groups. For example think free weight Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, Barbell Rows, Chin/Pull-up etc. As Off Road said think simple, work hard, get your diet in check and do overdo things and you'll get great results.

Shakes are fine, but you'll want to make sure you are taking in protein with every meal and also from whole sources (Chicken, beef, fish etc). From your stats you’re a lot bigger than me, so I would bump up your protein a little in the shake, especially post workout. Off Road might be able to offer you a little more guidance on amounts here.
    Last edited by ozmarc; 07-27-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Eric (and Swirl),
    When you first start out you need as much practice with the lifts as you can so that you get good at doing them. Also, your working weights will be lower and you won't need as long to recover. Lastly, you need to build up your conditioning to handle bigger loads and higher volume later. That's why full-body workouts are so good for beginners. As the weights get heavier and the workouts get more demanding, then it's time to split things up. Start simple and only complicate things as it becomes necessary. A lot of guys can handle three session of full-body weight lifting a week, but many will do even better on a twice a week program.

l.
    Yes, this is good solid advice. I am attempting to apply these principles to my current routine as well...

Especially true about cardio, it really isn't some magical key to weight loss, its just good for general health.

In my opinion, your body will let you know when you are over-doing your training... the body is an amazing machine that will tell you exactly what is needed usually...

Good luck to OP..

Wannabebig New Member

*sigh*

I wish bulking up was an easy and quick deal. I am gymming for the first time too and man i tell you! I can't move, hurts like hell!!