The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Power without weights

Sorry to keep bothering you guys with this. I'm just trying to help my kid with football. Brief rundown; My kid is 10 and trying out for footbal for the first time. He is potentially on the cut list and I want to help, if not for this year then for next year. He is the biggest and strongest kid on the team, but the problem is that he is slow and can't get off the line quickly. So, he's getting beat a lot by even slightly smaller kids. He alswys towards the back of the pack in sprinting too, he has a long, slow, loping stride. Plenty of strength but no power or quickness.

What kinds of things can I do with him to imrove his power and quickness. I'm not ready to throw him under the barbell yet, but maybe sled, or I could order a prowler, build some jumping boxes etc. Any help would be appreciated, especially from those who have experience coaching and training young kids.

BTW, football is completely HIS idea and I am not pushing him at all. I just want to help him.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Garage Lifter
    I'd start here:
    http://articles.elitefts.com/categor...orts-training/

Then look through agility drills and even jumping rope. For basketball we did a lot of both and also a lot of backwards running to help with coordination and speed while defending. Not the same thing but enough similarities that there should be some benefit.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Thanks for the link Pharm. I already have some really good ideas from the little reading I did, and I have a whole bunch more to go through.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Get him a standard 15 pound barbell and attach bands as weight? Build some explosive power. Grab a ten pound medicine ball for wall ball, get a slam ball, boxes for jumps, hill sprints. Lots of no weight movements to build quickness and power.
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 08-03-2011 at 02:30 PM.

I would say he needs to lengthen his stride. Have him sprint more often and focus on a long stride. Also, have him stretch his lower body everyday. I knew a guy in my Army unit who was like 6'5 but had such a small stride that it hurt him on the 2 mile run. We had him run sprints and focus on his stride and it helped him improve his time significantly.

We have a bunch of young guys (10-13) use the prowler at our gym. That is a great tool regardless of age. Especially for ball players.
    Last edited by ScottYard; 08-03-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

When i trained for speed and agility for rugby, i was light but still slow, i did the following twice a week.

Off Road please note i do not know the science it was given to me by a coach and it worked for me, other than that i cant really shed much light as too why...

Day one

Line sprints-Sprint from the touchdown line to the first line and back, continue on each line to the halfway then redo it. learning to stop/turn at speed helped.

Skipping-2x5mintues not on the spot tho, around the field.

Agility course through cones etc

I also had very very tight hamstrings, i learnt to stretch and this helped a lot with my stride.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Thanks guys for all the help. My kid does a lot of this stuff during his practices already; drills, sprints, stretching. I don't want to over work him on his off days but I want to give him something different to help supplement what he already does. I'm thinking I will have him do:
    stretching
    jumping (broad, single leg, stradle hops, etc.)
    different kinds of sled work (forward, backwards, pulling and pushing)
    strength work (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups),
    and line starts (keep working on form).
    Last edited by Off Road; 08-04-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Thanks guys for all the help. My kid does a lot of this stuff during his practices already; drills, sprints, stretching. I don't want to over work him on his off days but I want to give him something different to help supplement what he already does. I'm thinking I will have him do:
    stretching
    jumping (broad, single leg, stradle hops, etc.)
    different kinds of sled work (forward, backwards, pulling and pushing)
    strength work (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups),
    and line starts (keep working on form).
    Sounds good mate. How old is he? Is it a few years till he steps under the bar?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Sounds good mate. How old is he? Is it a few years till he steps under the bar?
    He is only 10 years old. I figure sled work and the bodyweight stuff is really all he needs right now. He can only do half-ass push-ups, only one chin-up, and he loves to pull the sled. I figured that's enough to work on right now.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Joe DeFranco has a video where he talks about 10-yard sprint technique. I can't find it, but it's on YouTube. It's all about forward lean and long strides.

I'd just stick with basics: prowler, sled dragging (could use the prowler for it), and box jumps. Some people say box jumps are genetic, and you can't improve it much. That's not true at all.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

My son made the team...so let the supplemental training begin
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Garage Lifter
    No you can be one of those psycho dads in the stands going apeshit!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    No you can be one of those psycho dads in the stands going apeshit!
    Ya, really not me. But I am very excited for him.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

My son is 8 and slow.

I KNOW that hill sprints are all he needs to be fast. Turning that into something attractive to an 8 year-old is the hard part.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    My son is 8 and slow.

I KNOW that hill sprints are all he needs to be fast. Turning that into something attractive to an 8 year-old is the hard part.
    I will incorperate those.

This is all in addition to his 4 weekly practices, so I don't want to kill him on his off days. I'll just try to keep it short and intense and focus on a few things thst will help the most.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

His practices are on Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thur. During practice they do a lot of conditioning and drills. I don't want to kill the poor kid, but I think I will use Fridays as a good day to work on the speed and strength. Then he will have all weekend to rest. We will have a few weeks of this before he starts Saturday games.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    Seeing as how your son is the biggest and strongest i would assume line. If so and especially if D line, do this. Get a rope, fasten to your son like a back pack, and also strap across chest like to form an H. Have roughly 12 feet of slack, and you holding the other end. Then have 2 cones roughly 4 yards apart. Have your son get in his stance at one cone and say go at any point and simply have him charge to the other cone. Every single snap without letting him know anything change the tension. Pull all slack where he cant even make it to the other cone, give him so much slack where he is free, and everything in between. The anticipation of you not giving an inch build a nasty explosion, but never knowing if you will hold on or he will blow through builds balance. Its more of a higher level exercise but man does it help. Glad he made the team and good luck.

Thanks for the tips. So far we are just keeping it simple with hill sprints and sled pulling. I will probably throw some different things in periodiaclly for variety and fun. He is starting to catch on and is playing on the other side of the ball instead of getting blown up. Still the slowest on the team, but his size, strength, and technique is getting him by for now.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

You're Being Lied To JohnnyRingo's Avatar
    good stuff. its awesome your wanting to help this much. seriously the younger they start to train hard the more resistant they are to injuries. it was amazing in highschool. the guys who trained hard since they were knee high literally naver got hurt.

His practices are on Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thur. During practice they do a lot of conditioning and drills. I don't want to kill the poor kid, but I think I will use Fridays as a good day to work on the speed and strength. Then he will have all weekend to rest. We will have a few weeks of this before he starts Saturday games.
    honestly, i would not train him on his off days, if he is conditioning during practice he should be fine. He will get faster over time, my freshman year of highschool I was running a 5.8 40 @ 185, before my senior season I was running a 5 flat @ 265 pounds. For now let him enjoy the sport without training, If he decides to play in highschool their will be enough training during those 4 years. As far as getting faster or more athletic, see if after the football season he wants to play basketball, baseball, wrestle, track, hell even tennis would improve his endurance, footwork, hand eye coordination, and agility. I started training for football early and specialized in it during highschool and got burnt out, if I could go back I would be a three sport athlete in highschool. Just my two cents, Im not a parent so take it for what its worth, and congrats to your kid for making the team thats awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BoAnderson71 View Post
    honestly, i would not train him on his off days, if he is conditioning during practice he should be fine. He will get faster over time, my freshman year of highschool I was running a 5.8 40 @ 185, before my senior season I was running a 5 flat @ 265 pounds. For now let him enjoy the sport without training, If he decides to play in highschool their will be enough training during those 4 years. As far as getting faster or more athletic, see if after the football season he wants to play basketball, baseball, wrestle, track, hell even tennis would improve his endurance, footwork, hand eye coordination, and agility. I started training for football early and specialized in it during highschool and got burnt out, if I could go back I would be a three sport athlete in highschool. Just my two cents, Im not a parent so take it for what its worth, and congrats to your kid for making the team thats awesome.
    I actually think this is your best advice yet! I played through Jr. High, High School, College, briefly Pro, and later some Semi-Pro ball. I was also a 4 sport athlete in High School. What I will almost guarantee you at his age is that if you start putting much more than those 4 practice sessions on him at this point, he'll burn out way early. I always tell parents to put yourself in your kids shoes. He has school, practice, homework, and if you throw in extra; where's the time for rest, and just enjoying being a kid? If you had to work your job, go to football practice, then study for new material each night for your job, and then had someone putting you through more training after all of that....how long would you last? Just be careful that it doesn't gradually become more 'your' thing than his. He's on the team now. In all probability the coaches are addressing what training is needed for this level already. There's a lot to be said for leaving work/football at the office/field and walking away each evening and resting and recharging your battery. Over-training is not just a weight training thing. Encourage him, help when he ASK, and stop when he's ready to stop at this point. I'm seeing a case now with a friend where I'm afraid it's more about my friend wanting it than the kid. The hints I drop seem to be going right over his head. I'm starting to feel sorry for the kid. Just step back occasionally and evaluate if it's your thing or his. As long as HE wants to do it and HE'S enjoying it, your probably balancing things right. Just keep an eye on the scales of that balance. I'd add to watch for sings that he is doing it because he want to, and not that he thinks you want him to. I had this happen with my own daughter and didn't realize it until she turned down basketball and volleyball scolarships. She was All-State in both sports.That's when she finally told me she was sick of playing ball and she played through highschool because she thought it was what I wanted. Me being a ball player and coach. That made me feel about 2 inches tall as a Dad!
    Last edited by mastermonster; 08-13-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

You guys are right...it has to be his decision...and it is.

He can start, ride the bench, or quit after this season if he wants to. Makes no difference to me. In fact I wouldn't mind saving the $600 it costs for him to play. The only thing I EXPECT him to do is graduate college. I don't really give a crap about football but I want to help him any way I can. It aint about me and it's all about him...except for that college thing

Heck, if I wanted him to follow in his old man's footsteps, he'd be riding bulls in a couple of years. But he has to find his own way and make his own life.
    Last edited by Off Road; 08-13-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoAnderson71 View Post
    ... if I could go back I would be a three sport athlete in highschool. Just my two cents, Im not a parent so take it for what its worth, and congrats to your kid for making the team thats awesome.
    funny, most of my friends who played that many sports in high school wish they could go back and not play anything: they all have jacked knees, shoulders and elbows etc....

You guys are right...it has to be his decision...and it is.

He can start, ride the bench, or quit after this season if he wants to. Makes no difference to me. In fact I wouldn't mind saving the $600 it costs for him to play. The only thing I EXPECT him to do is graduate college. I don't really give a crap about football but I want to help him any way I can. It aint about me and it's all about him...except for that college thing

Heck, if I wanted him to follow in his old man's footsteps, he'd be riding bulls in a couple of years. But he has to find his own way and make his own life.
    Sounds like you have a good handle on things. I hope your son has as many good memories from football as I have when it's all over. There's a lot of life lessons to learn from it. My little brother is an old bull rider. He's a retired Army Tanker now. You guys are an interesting breed! Now that's a sport that you'll think about everyday when you wake up! Enjoy each other! They grow up soon!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)