Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you have deload weeks and what do they consist of?

Wannabebig Member

How often do you have deload weeks and what do they consist of?

Had a terrible session today, struggled with floorpressing weights I was smashing up last ME bench day. It got me thinking, as a drug free lifter doing a conjugate routine, how often would you "deload"? I've been doing this WS routine for 6 weeks now but this is the first time I've done any form of routine like this.

In these weeks do you just have it off completley or just lower the weights, up the reps and do catch up on other bodyparts?
    Last edited by gazh1983; 04-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    www.speedymailleaflets.co.uk

Leaflet and flyer delivery in South Wales.

Banned
    When doing a 4 day a week routine, I would deload by literally taking an entire week off. I would come back strong as ever. I just hate going into the gym and going through the motions by lifting sub-intense weights. I feel taking a week off from the gym freshens you both physically and mentally.

But now that I am on a 3 day/wk A-B-A, I rarely need a deload because I am already getting up to 4 days of rest between related body parts.

Maybe someone a little more familiar with westside can help you out. But if you have another bad workout I would just take some time off...5-7 days or so.

I generally deload every 4-6 weeks which just consists on cutting volume and intensity back to like 50% for a week.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Wannabebig Member
    OK thanks guys!
    Last edited by gazh1983; 04-07-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Hmm floor press is one where I was always way under weight of what i would be doing for other things. Might just need to establish new baseline numbers for that lift, and start it a bit lower and only compare it to itself the next time you get around to it. Deloading might be necessary but I wouldn't overlook what I mentioned.

I almost never deload. If you are really doing the conjugate method you shouldn't really need to deload much unless you are hitting very large weights. When I first started doing a powerlifting routine I was worried about overtraining and deloaded every 4 weeks or so, but all I ended up doing was getting weaker. So naturally I thought I was overtraining. It turns out I wasn't doing enough assistance stuff after my ME movement. I think my case is more the norm. People do to little and worry they are doing too much. Just keep changing up the lifts and hitting the weights hard.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    Hmm floor press is one where I was always way under weight of what i would be doing for other things. Might just need to establish new baseline numbers for that lift, and start it a bit lower and only compare it to itself the next time you get around to it. Deloading might be necessary but I wouldn't overlook what I mentioned.
    That;s what I did man, compared it to last week. It was my 3rd week doing floor press though?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike95763 View Post
    I almost never deload. If you are really doing the conjugate method you shouldn't really need to deload much unless you are hitting very large weights. When I first started doing a powerlifting routine I was worried about overtraining and deloaded every 4 weeks or so, but all I ended up doing was getting weaker. So naturally I thought I was overtraining. It turns out I wasn't doing enough assistance stuff after my ME movement. I think my case is more the norm. People do to little and worry they are doing too much. Just keep changing up the lifts and hitting the weights hard.
    Interesting point!

Quote Originally Posted by gazh1983 View Post
    That;s what I did man, compared it to last week. It was my 3rd week doing floor press though?
    Hmmm, you should be changing up your ME movement a lot more often than that. If I repeat the same ME the next week it is always worse than the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by gazh1983 View Post
    Had a terrible session today, struggled with floorpressing weights I was smashing up last ME bench day. It got me thinking, as a drug free lifter doing a conjugate routine, how often would you "deload"? I've been doing this WS routine for 6 weeks now but this is the first time I've done any form of routine like this.

In these weeks do you just have it off completley or just lower the weights, up the reps and do catch up on other bodyparts?
    Right now I typically just 'deload' or take it easy the week before and the week after a strongman contest, but that would not really apply to what you are doing.

What has worked for me in the past was just instinctively taking a 'week off' when I would stall or feel that I was over-training. On my 'recovery week' I would do nothing but a couple of cardio session or maybe play some sports (no lifting). This will usually allow your muscles/tendons/CNS enough time to be ready to start moving some big weight again when you resume training. The whole principal of light training weeks every couple of weeks can also work, but in my opinion those would have to be programmed. If you are at the point where you have already overtrained then a week off would be more beneficial than a week of lighter training (and you would not lose any progress by taking a week off).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

SEOINAGE is right. Doing the same ME movement 3 times in a row isn't the best idea. Try rotating every week with 3-4 different lifts so you only do each ME movement once a month. That way every time you do a movement you are primed for a new PR.

I really think people are getting carried away with this "deload" thing.........way too many deloads IMO.

I see guys with 135 benches deloading all the time.........those people and myself need to train...eat...recover...train...eat...recover...train...eat...recover... not deload all the time.

Just because AJ and co take a deload week does not mean everyone needs them all the time.

If it is working for you then its working but I doubt deloading with a 800lb total is needed.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    I really think people are getting carried away with this "deload" thing.........way too many deloads IMO.

I see guys with 135 benches deloading all the time.........those people and myself need to train...eat...recover...train...eat...recover...train...eat...recover... not deload all the time.

Just because AJ and co take a deload week does not mean everyone needs them all the time.

If it is working for you then its working but I doubt deloading with a 800lb total is needed.
    Agreed, I was kind of eluding to that in my post above but did not come out directly and say it. When I first started training I would take a week off every few months and that was training 4-5 days per week with each session consisting of about 20 sets spread over 60-90 minutes.

There is a quote from a top strongman that I think would fit well here:

"There is no such thing as over training, there is only under eating, under sleeping, and the failure of will" - Marshall White
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Agreed on the under sleeping bit lol.

One thing to take into consideration is that the body cannot differentiate between stress. That means that the cns gets stressed with both a heavy deadlift session and a stressful day at work (the deadlift session is likely more taxing.. but you are also not deadlifting every day).

If you live a pretty easy life, sleep lots, and are generally not stressed out you will be able to go further without deloads. I think this is a huge reason that when we look at Bulgarian olympic lifters maxing out their lifts several times per week we think its crazy.. what we don't realize is that they do this for a living and have few extra stresses.

I generally deload when my joints start to get beat up, that has always been the limiting factor for me.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Wannabebig Member
    I do deloads every 8 wks or so. It usually consist\s of alot of stuff I would usually not due like belt squats, one leg squats, some flexability and agility stuff plus alot of gpp as well rehab is huge too. It is definatly OK to deload but its not an easy week its just a week to deload the CNS so I wont put a bar on my back and no deadlift variants and prolly no barbell benching. My deloads are alot of times more difficult than a regular workout, IMO ppl think deload and want tio get lazy but thats not the idea as far as I understand it. I get plenty of good solid work in on deloads and the only time I generaly take time off is around meets or if personal shit comes up. If my joints are beat up I will do the deloads more often but I find 6-8wks to be plenty for me. Just what works for me

Ever had one of those days where your workout was flat out half assed? Then it happens the following workout again? That's when I take a full week off from weights completely. I simply just listen to my body. Each individual is different. Lots of rest, proper nutrition, and smart training are few variables to consider.

Don't believe Travis ever deloads, at least not by looking at his training log and what he has said in the past. Sure he will provide a better, more detailed answer.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

For my next training cycle I am experimenting with a different type of deload. Throughout the cycle there are days where I will only deload the ME exercise. Then there are weeks where I will deload my supplemental exercise. A DE deload, an assistance deload. In other words I am not doing a complete deload on any given week. I find that if I call an entire session a deload I tend to mail it in. Now, if I am deloading supplemental or accessory work, I will be exicted to hammer my ME. Or if it's a ME deload I will focus on my supplemental and accessory work.

This is part of the new program I wrote for myself going into my next meet. Check out my log where I will be chronicling the journey. My Training Log
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-08-2011 at 05:51 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig Member
    Cool interesting, will definaltey check the log out.

I deload every 4th week regardless of how im feeling.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I firmly believe deloads should be handled differently per the lifter. Frequency for me is based on body feeI but usually comes calling around week 5 or 6. I have had success with what I refer to as an active deload, which means scaling back on volume and weight and focusing more on blood flow to promote recovery. If I take a week off my logs have shown I come back flat and weak. Best thing to do is experiment and record it, find what works for you.
    Last edited by blong; 04-08-2011 at 12:48 PM.

I don't train for three lifts, but I am a bench only kind of guy (siatic nerve problem has also dictated such a model for now) BUT I have had good results from deload weeks? But I really don' t know if it is a cookie cutter tool to add to any workout plan. Travis has told me to listen to my body and from what I can gather it is about my CNS being fried more than my muscles themselves?

If I am un racking 405 and it feels crazy heavy and I have been going at it hard for a 4 or 6 weeks it is time for a diconnect, at least that has seemed to work for me? I am 35 (going on 36) and I feel that taking an entire week OFF PERIOD, from everything suits me best personally. I have a hard time going into the gym and NOT lifting the way I have come to love so it just seems to work best for me to take the time off? Also being a type 1 diabetic may play a role in my recovery and need for a time umplugged but I am not sure. I didn't read every post so if I repeated something sorry!

I deload on squats and deadlifts every 5-6 weeks or so now. Bench and upper body, I'm switching up movements usually and don't deload as I'm not pushing up big weights there. Mostly I just listen to my body, if I'm feeling tight and everything feels heavy on my back and off the floor, I'll do a deload.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    For my next training cycle I am experimenting with a different type of deload. Throughout the cycle there are days where I will only deload the ME exercise. Then there are weeks where I will deload my supplemental exercise. A DE deload, an assistance deload. In other words I am not doing a complete deload on any given week. I find that if I call an entire session a deload I tend to mail it in. Now, if I am deloading supplemental or accessory work, I will be exicted to hammer my ME. Or if it's a ME deload I will focus on my supplemental and accessory work.

This is part of the new program I wrote for myself going into my next meet. Check out my log where I will be chronicling the journey. My Training Log
    I like that!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...