The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: road to pro..

Hey brotha! Nicely done at Pleasonton, even though you didn't win. Next time... Been out of the loop lately, but when will you be putting on another comp? Itching to compete again.

BTW, loved the "nerd pic". Ah, the 90's. LOL
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Man you're getting smaller. Might need to go back to LittleJake.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

hey Ryan, good to hear from you man. Hope all is well. How is school going?

LOL Pat, that's damn right. I feel so small and weak, lol.

little update today:

9/14/12 - throws: wfd/sheaf

am weight = 275

training

56# wfd x20-22
    28# wfd x6-8

20# sheaf
    *stand x10
    *spin x5

working on getting my finish back on course after messing it up earlier this week.. improvements but not quite where it needs to be

working on a big long pull on the sheaf. so far stands are much higher than spins, lots of work here

macros = 92/25/222 (f/c/p) = 1861cals

9/17/12 - fsquat & throws: hammer

am weight after refeed- 276.2

training#1

16# hammer
    *2 winds x8
    *3 winds x10, all in the one-teens

working on getting aroudn quick to catch the hammer high, then pushing my right hip to speed the ball up and create a big pull.. its coming together. working from the finish back. once i can nail the finish, I'll start speeding up the 2nd wind

Video

training#2

7.06miles on stationary bike in 20mins

531 (wk3) front squat- 285x5, 320x3, 360x2
    back squat- 225x10x2
    close grip bench- 135x15x2, 185x15, 135x15x2

skipped GMs.. feeling sore and beat up, very stiff lately. 360 was tough but there was more in the tank, just not much energy. deload next week. Going to start adding some more repetition stuff in like the higher rep back squats, that should help increase my muscular endurance and conditioning a bit.

macros = 92/29/224 (f/c/p) = 1824cals

9/18/12 - throws: stone/wfd

am weight- 271.4

training

15.5# stone
    *stand x6
    *180 drill x6
    *full spin x10

ugh, this is very frustrating. Getting my right through, but opening up way too early. after talking with some friends, I need to get more snappy with my left. slow -> fast -> faster from start to finish. Going to start working in south african drills as well so the 180 will transfer to the south african will transfer to the full spin. Need to stay as wrapped as possible while my right hip is pushing through, quick left leg to help pop the right hip, then a big finish. still so much work

Video

56# wfd x10 much better, working on keeping the weight close, driving it down to zero then a nice smooth finish. got my mojo back after last weeks setback. hopefully can put some sauce on it ths weekend and see what happens.

Video

macros = unk yet, will be roughly 90/30/225 (f/c/p) 1800-1900
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I dunno how the shit you survive on less than 2k calories.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

it's only 2 days at a time really, then I refeed with a 4k cal day..

also, it's really only 1 day because typically, day 2 falls before a training day. If day 3 (high carb day) is a training day, then I eat a carb dinner on day 2 to start replenishing glycogen. Make sense? I dunno how well it's working just yet as it's only been 2 weeks and I'm pretty fat still, haha. Once bodyfat gets lower, I'll start seeing better differences. Contemplating on going to 3 days low and 1 high for now. Training numbers feel pretty good so I don't know if I want to push it or not.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

How did you get into the sport?

5/3/1 Journal

I did a powerlifting comp in 2009 and caught the competition bug. I wanted to break into strongman but didn't have much info on it. I found a local Highlander comp that was 1/2 strongman and 1/2 highland games. I entered that in october 2009 and did pretty well. There was a max log press, tire flip, heavy weight for distance and heavy open stone. I took first among 3 guys and had a whopping 255lb log press max, lol. I had practiced the highland events a tiny bit with some homemade stuff so I had an edge on the other guys. I started training with the promoter about 3 months later who was big into powerlifting and highland games. He pushed me to do a highland games in may 2010 and I've been set on them ever since. I've also done 2 strongman comps this year (possibly anothein november) and I'd really like to do another powerlifting meet, however, I don't want to do it until I can pull 700lbs, haha..
    Last edited by JSully; 09-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

9/20/12 - pp/deads & throws: stone
    training#1

531 (wk3) deads- 425x5, 480x3, 540x5
    rdl- 225x10x2
    531 (wk3) pushpress- 210x5, 235x3, 265x1
    strict ohp- 95x10x2
    bb row 135x12x3
    pulldowns 190x10x3

skipped stationary bike

deads felt good... well as good as they can feel at 430 in the morning. rdls were simple, just wanted to get soem blood flowing. Going to start throwing some more bodybuilding, higher rep, lighter stuff in to work on conditioning and recomposition. push presses felt good once my shoulder was warmed up. Hurts more on the descent than it does on the press. Was only able to feel it pinch/ache a couple times so I decided to hit that last set as RXd and just did a single. Went up super fast and easy, no issues at all, no pain, nada. Happy with this. Dropped down to do some very light strict ohps and could feel it aching on about 1/2 of the reps. Nothing big, just a small ache, shut it down after 2 quick sets. Felt it ache on rows as well. Not as much as before.. it's progressing, just need to stay consistent with my rehab protocols.

training#2

15.5# ostone
    *stand x15
    *180 footwork x30+
    *south african footwork x15ish
    *south african w/stone x6-8
    *full spin footwork x6-8
    *full spin w/stone x6-8

stands felt good.. focusing on squeezing my legs together to get my hips forward as fast as possible while holding upper back. It's coming along but still, as always, lots of work to do. Lots of 180 drills with a very fast left leg. One of my problems is keeping my right foot turning, the slow left leg definitely has something to do with that. Speed up my left leg and stick it hard = right foot comes all the way around. Lots of footwork drills to get this in, started being able to hit the south africans by the last couple, feeling better. Some more footwork with fulls, working on a fast left left and it's starting to come together. Some full throws and was sort of nailing it by the end. Missing my block though, getting on my left leg rather than posting it. More to work on, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

20# sheaf
    *bottoms up drills x5
    *stand throws x3 and fork broke

sad face.. stupid fork

Video

off day friday then a big throwing session on saturday. Beyond that, I need a deload. Going to throw monday and tuesday next week and a nice easy deload sesh on tuesday. Then I'm done till saturday. Lots of rest and active recovery.

macros = 98/79/223 (f/c/p) 2083 cals (day1/3 low carb)

increasing low carb days to 3 followed by a carbup.. going to do this for a couple weeks and see how this affects performance. The 2 low carb days hasn't been affecting too much, other than energy levels with reduced overall calories. If I can stick it 1 more day, that will give me a great deficit. The goal isn't ketosis by any means. Just a larger calorie deficit. My refeeds as of late have been larger than needed so adding the 3rd day will help offset the higher calories for that day. Weight is still hoving in the low 270s.
    Last edited by JSully; 09-21-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

9/22/12 - throws: stone/wfd/hammer/caber
    am weight = 272.6 (day 3/3 low carb)

training

22# braemar x5

go to get hips through faster, have no idea how these guys are going 45+ with this weight of a stone

15.5# stone
    *180 drill footwork
    *south african footwork
    *south african throws x5
    *full spin x5

still lots of work to do. right foot lands then stops then turns then stops. needs to be more fluid. Keep hips lower throughout, faster left leg = continuously turning right

56# wfd x10-12
    28# wfd x5-8

was drifting forward on my cast, not sure why. focus on fast first turn then drive it down and a big sprint. Wasn't able to really catch any of these good, very stiff

16# hammer
    *2 wind x3
    *3 wind x8-10

worked on a very long pull on my right side. played with pushing my hips farther to the right on the "upswing" as to allow a longer pull on the right. Felt good, need to keep working this

caber (18' 80) x10-12

all turns, just focusing on a hard drive and really pushing my hips into the caber and pulling back, caber remains my achilles heel. will pull out the big boy next weekend and play with it.

overall a good practice, I say it all too often, but there's still plenty of work to be done.

macros = 92/60/227 (f/c/p) 1961 cals .. carbup tomorrow
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Nice work in here.

Have you ever torqued your knee wearing those bayonnet shoes?

5/3/1 Journal

bayonnet shoes? I'm assuming you're talking about my hammer blade boots? lol..

yes, but not because of the blade. The blade merely keeps your feet from going all over the place as the hammer gets faster and faster. I had a hammer slip out of my hand early right as I was in triple extension last year and it put ALOT of pressure on my patella tendon which already had patellar tendonitis. That hurt pretty bad. Other than that, no, I've had no knee issue from it.

todays sesh:

9/24/12 - throws: stone
    am weight = 277 (post carbup)

training

15.5# stone
    *stand x10, best of 44
    *180 drill footwork
    *south african drill footwork, best of 51
    *south african w/stone x6-8, best of 50
    *full spin x10-12

few changes today that worked for the better..

standing: typically I slam my left foot down, push my right hip and open my left arm simultaneously while holding my upper body back.. then a huge push off my left leg for a block.. today, I not only slammed my left foot down, but I pushed it more to the left as well. That pulled my right around faster and was much more snappy. i like.

spinning footwork getting better. went to a throwing shoe on my right foot and easier to keep the right foot turning. couple things of note: on the south african, I feel very linear, not very rotational. I can get my left around fast, and separate well, but I miss the block. Instead of a good hard block, I get on top of my left and end up jumping the stone out there, in a sense. It ended up going farther than my fulls though, because I did indeed separate better.

things of note with the full spin: went back to sweeping my right leg aorund. I feel much more rotational doing this. I can get good linear drive with my left leg driving me through the sprint, and the right foot sweeping brings my left around faster and nailing a really good block. The downside to this, it's faster and I haven't timed my separation yet. Need to work on staying low, a faster left leg and better separation. Light years ahead of where I started back in february. I *think* I dropped one out at 54' as it was the only divot out there, but I didn't actually see where it landed so I'm not going to note it. I did have a great deal of throws out between 48 and 51 so progressing is being made. here are a couple vids

Video

Video

macros = will be somewhere around 90/30/225 (f/c/p) day 1/4 low carb
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

9/25/12 - deload training & throws: wfd
    training#1

56# wfd x20-22, best of 43, about 15-17 over 40

great wfd practice. Finally getting comfortable enough in the positions to start ramping up the effort. Still more in the tank once I'm able to hit posistions faster, specifically after the first turn, so I can get more drive to zero and a bigger sprint.

Video

training#2 - deload

fsquat- 155x5, 185x5, 225x5
    back squat- 225x5x3
    deadlift- 225x5, 315x5, 335x5
    strict ohp- barx15x2, 95x15x2
    pullups- bwx5x2

not bad, feeling stiff, felt good to get the blood moving, hammers tomorrow and rest until saturday throws.

macros = 105/30/230 (f/c/p) a tad over 2000 cals. Changed phones so lost my exact macro breakdown but that's about right. the two double doubles (protein sytle obv) contributed to the higher fat content. Was pretty damn good though so I'll take it

9/26/12 - throws: hammer

am weight = 269.8 (day 3/4 low carb)

training

16# hammer
    *2 wind x5-6
    *3 wind x8-10, best of 114

still slow, trying to hit the positions and really catch it high. I seem to catch it high but I'm not actually applying force until the ball starts dropping. Need to kick that in faster. Also, trying to think about being more whippy seems to help me. I know sounds weird but thinking "whippy" lets me use just my hips and I can really feel my hips driving the ball. Need to work on getting my hips farther to the right side before I catch the ball so I can get a bigger/longer drive. Making progress, unfortunately it isn't translating to numbers yet. Really want to hit something big here before the end of the season

macros = 78/11/239 (f/c/p) 1741 cals
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I like Bayonett Shoes better. Let's start a company!

5/3/1 Journal

10/1/12 - fsquat & hammer
    Am weight = 274.6

Training#1 @ 430a

531 fsquat (wk1) 255x5, 285x5, 320x5
    Squat 225x10x3
    Gms 225x10x3
    Close grip bench 95x12, 135x8, 185x5, 205x5, 225x5
    Incline press 95x12x2, 135x10

Skip stationary bike cardio. Back from last weeks deload. Didn't even throw on Saturday, just rested up. Getting over a little cold. Shoulder feeling better, but not pushing too hard yet. Didn't like the incline pressing but it's coming along. Close grips felt real good. Lower back has been very stiff in the mornings as of late, def felt it on squats today. Going to start spending more time on active recovery, mobility and stretching. AM squat note: energy next to none. Need to make sure to pound at least 1 scoop of protein with some caffeine pre-wo.

Training#2 @ 430p

16# hammer
    *2 wind x4
    *3 wind x2

Drove by the field on the way home and saw Ryan Seckman throwing. I had been going through some hammer stuff in my head and wanted to take a couple reps. Biggest thing I did was reach on the very first wind. Instead of just pulling and turning: I pulled the hammer to begin, then pushed my right shoulder back/down on the very first wind and that set my hips up in a position to take over incredibly. Going to need to work on my timing and new balance but this is going to be very beneficial. Looking forward to taking a lot of throws like this later this week.

Macros = 59/28/249 (f/c/p) 1731cals (day 1/4 low carb)

should note, after last week, I'm going to go to 4 days low carb, 1 day high and 2 days medium. That gives me freedom on the weekend while still creating a severe deficit during the days. Simlar to UD2 without the glycogen depletion workouts. I am willing to guess though, that by the 4th day I'm very close to depletion. We'll see how this works out. Looking forward to seeing what my body composition does over the next 4 weeks.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Looking good Jake. Calories are super low
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

Thanks man.. calories are low but I feel alright.. def looking forward to the carbups, haha..

10/2/12 - deads/pp & stones
    Am weight = 272.8

Training#1 @ 5a

531 deads (wk1) 375x5, 435x5, 490x10
    531 push press (wk1) 185x5, 210x5, 240x5
    Rdl 275x10x3
    Strict ohp 135x8x2
    Pullups bwx5x3
    Machine rows 3x10

Skipped stationary bike again as I was 30 mins late to train. Deads felt good once I got completely warmed up. Spent some extra time with the roller and lax ball on my lower back between sets and that helped. Last set was solid. Wanted to save some in the tank for stones this afternoon. Had a scoop of protein, about 200mg of niacin and 200mg caffeine preWO which kept me energized. Shoulder feeling much better. Didn't push it on the final set of push presses but they were all easy and no pain at all. Strict felt good too. Going to continue to just hit rx sets with presses until next 531 cycle then get after it. No issues on pullups either. Other shoulder felt sore. I'm sure from over compensating from the injury. Going to work some rehab stuff on that side as well so it doesn't go on the wrong direction.

Training#2 @ 1230p

15.5# stone
    *stand x10
    *180 drill footwork
    *south African drill footwork
    *south African w/stone x12
    *full x6

Meh. Making progress on standing tosses but not much on spin this go around. Watched a few vids. I'm not getting my left leg all the way around. I'm getting it around quick but cutting myself off. This isn't pulling my right all the way around into position. Also, doesn't appear I am crossing my right leg over my body, instead I'm just driving straight. I'm thinking this has somethign to do with not being able to get my left all the way around. Going to start getting vid from the back so I can pay more attention to that. All these little things are going to add up to some big tosses when I put them together.

Macros = 62/56/231 (f/c/p) 1731cals day 2/4 low carb

2012/2013 off-season training assessment

Time for a training assessment and to figure out what I'm going to do for my off season programming. I still need to take a lot of throws. Until I'm comfortable and happy with my numbers after 3-5 throws, I'm not where I want to be.

First, some goals for the off season: Front Squat 500, Back squat 585, Deadlift 700, Push Press 350, Close Grip Press 400, Strict Press 300.

Bodyweight goal: 255 by the new year.

Practice throwing goals (consistent throws, not PRs):

bs 40'
    os 53'
    hwd 43'
    lwd 84'
    hh 105'
    lh 130'
    20# sheaf 32'
    wob 16'6" stand and learn how to spin

Now: the plan.

Monday #1 = 531 Fsquat/CGbench (assistance = back squats/incline bench/dips/GMs)
    Monday #2 = hammer
    Tuesday #1= 531 deadlift/push press (assistance = RDL/strict OHP/pullups/rows)
    Tuesday #2 = stones
    Wednesday #1 = wfd
    Wednesday #2 = hammer
    Thursday #1 = snatch/clean (assitance = plyos/high pulls/sprints)
    Thursday #2 = stones
    Friday = off
    Saturday = stones/weights/hammers + wob/sheaf/caber (if I can), similar to a mock competition
    Sunday = off

As the off season moves on, I'll become more comfortable with the little tweaks here and there on events and less work will be needed. At that time I'll probably combine events and take more time for rest, or work other events that are lacking, such as wob, caber or sheaf.

I'm happy with where 531 is taking me right now. I've been able to continue my training on lower calories as well as heal my shoulder without taking any real time off. I've started adding in some BBing reps after my 531 reps, similar to the BBB program, however a couple less sets.

As for diet, I've switched to a UD2 style setup, without the depletion training. Mon-Thursday are low carbs, calories around 225-250 protein, 50 carb and 50-60 fat which puts me in the 1700-1900 calorie range. Friday is a carbup to replenish what was depleted during the week, then Saturday/Sunday is a maintenance or slightly below phase. As I get closer to my goal weight, I'll transition Saturday/Sunday into more of a gain phase and slowly increase carbs throughout the week. I want to get my weight down and keep it off and then get strong at my new bodyweight. I will play deloads by ear.

If I'm feeling good still at the end of the 3 week 531 cycle, I'll continue into another cycle and then deload after that one. Things will slow down a bit in mid January as that's when my next son is due so I'll plan a deload in there then get back to training again asap.

I think that pretty much covers my off-season plan. Looking forward to getting after it. Ventura games coming up next weekend and then I'll dive into it with a short break for the Tucson games in early November. Then it's nose to the grind.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

10/3/12 - ostone
    am weight = 270

training @ 1230p

15.5# stone
    *stand x3
    *south african footwork drills
    *180 footwork drills
    *south african w/stone x 6-8, best of 52
    *full footwork drills & more suth african footwork drills
    *full w/stone x 18-20, best of 51

Continues to plague me, but it is getting better. Watched a lot of Dylan Armstrong videos as well as our very own HG guy Matt Vincent. Biggest thing I noticed: left leg gets all the way around really opening up the hips. and forcing the right foot to keep turning. So I worked on this. It was maybe 50/50. I can do it no problem on the 180 drills. The south africans are come and go. When I focus on keeping my knees together, boom. When I focus on separating, not so much. Having tough putting them both together but it's coming along and I'm making progress. Baby steps I suppose. Full throws were meh. Some were ok, some were not. Some I got the left all the way around on, some I did not. Very inconsistent at this time. Really need to work on keeping my knees together as that seems to drive the hips around faster and keep the right foot turning. Talked to Matt as well as Jacob Nicol and Tom Sroka for a bit.

Few things to note:
    out of the back - pre-turn left foot in order to "slingshot" the right into the middle. Do a 180 pivot on the left foot, its not a turn and dive into the center. Think "rolling start" to a south african drill.
    middle - drive my right foot into the ground and force it to turn, keep knees together to bring the left leg all the way around to open the hips, strong block
    finish - keep chest up and finish strong, don't let my upper get sloppy just because I'm focusing on footwork

mental reps now, lots of mental reps. Throwing hwd tomorrow morning, then hammer tomorrow afternoon and off till Saturday. Looking forward to throwing with Jake and Adam Brezina then going out for some drinks.

Video

Video

Macros = 62/56/231 (f/c/p) 1731 day 3/4 low carb
    Last edited by JSully; 10-04-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

10/4/12 - Olympic lifts & throws: wfd/hammer
    Am weight = 270.2

Training#1 @ 430a

Power Snatch 135x3, 155x3, 185x3, 195x3, 135x5
    Power clean 135x5, 185x3, 135x5x3
    seated box jumps 12" to 24" bwx5x3
    Db curls 3x10

Shoulder not a fan of the cleans. Going to keep it light for a few weeks and just work on tech. 2nd pull is off and I'm breaking my arms way too early I am attempt at a higher bump. Need to get a higher bump but not at that expense. Keep arms locked and get into triple extension better.

Training#2 @ 615a

56# wfd x20ish full, best of 43

Feeling pretty good. Took a tip from a pro and as the weight started moving back to the right on the cast, instead of just letting it drop and controlling the low point, I pushed the weight away from me more towards the back. By adding this I kept a tighter turn and it acted almost like a slingshot after the first turn, however I had to be very mindful of the push to zero. After a couple reps to drill this in and add driving to zero after the first turn, I was over 40ft every time, averaging 41 with a bunch of 42s and a sweet 43'6. Making progress fsho. Happy considering I had just finished a gym session and we already kind of spent.

Video

Training#3 @ 1230p

16# hammer
    *2 winds x5, best of 123
    *3 winds x12, best of 122

Meh, few things here still to work on:

1) Catch the hammer higher. I seem to be really reaching back and catching it high, HOWEVER, I'm not applying any force to the ball until it's at about 8:00. Losing a lot of potential speed here. I chalk that up to being slow and I'm not ready to start applying force so soon. Lots more reps to fix this.
    2) Pulling in with my left arm. I really need to focus on keeping the left arm long. I need to reach more with my right so that my left doesn't need to pull in.
    3) My finish is off. Watching vid of Vierra and Brock and how they push their right hip all the way through to the left side for the finish. Their hips are nearly facing 3:00 as the ball is still at 6:00. In my vid, I start exploding like a clean when the ball is at 6 but my hips are right there too. Need to drag the ball around with my hips and really push my hips to the left, almost scooping it out for the finish. I see where the block comes into play here. Pushing with the right leg pushes the hip to the right and when your hips are facing 3:00 the left leg block pushes it even farther for that final whip of the release.

Looking forward to next hammer sesh so I can play some more.

Video

Macros = 84/64/231 (f/c/p) 1951 cals day 4/4 low carb.. carbup tomorrow, fuck yes!!!!
    Last edited by JSully; 10-05-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Awesome in here with the detailed chronicles dude, doing great.

thanks coke..

10/6/12 - throws: stone/wfd/hammer
    Am weight = 276 (post carbup)

Training @ 430p

24# shot stands x4, best 36
    21.5# stone stands x3, best 38
    15.5# stone
    *180 drill footwork
    *south African drill footwork
    *south African w/ stone x5, best 53
    *full spin x8, best 54

Happy with how stones are coming. On the standing tosses, focused on "trapping the ball". Keeping the ball behind my right hip by opening my left side up but keeping my right shoulder back until the last second. Lots of footwork drills for the spin. Need to keep my right foot turning, the biggest thing I'm working on right now. As soon as my right foot hits the ground, I'm focusing on pushing my right knee in and being patient so that my left comes around to open up my hips. Another thing I changed was less "cast". I'm not drifting onto my right as much as I used to. Trying to stay pretty square to the back, makes it easier to load my left and get a good controled turn out of the back, less chance to dive into the middle. Definitely making progress here, but there's still a lot of work to be done. Very happy with the numbers, I think only 2-3 tosses under 50ft and these were all semi-effortless.

Video

56# wfd x5, best 41
    28# wfd x5, best 80

56 went well, 28 went meh. Focusing on keeping my low point and pushing the weight away/behind me for the slingshot effect. Felt it more with the 56 than the 28 so I'm going to play with this some more on the 28 to find out what works best for me. I find it harder to push to zero with the slingshot method, HOWEVER, when I can push it down, it skyrockets out of my hand. Just need some more reps here and things will really come around.

16# hammer
    *2 wind x6
    *3 wind x5, too dark to measure

Starting to get dark now as we spent close to 2 hours on the other 2 events so didn't have much time left. Focusing solely on my finish, pushing my hips to the right and blocking with my left leg, something is still off. Really need to spend some time working this event.

macros = ?? went out drinking with Adam Brezina and Jacob Nicol. Fun times.

10/8/12 - fsquat/cgbench & hammer
    Am weight = 279

Training#1 @ 430a

531 fsquat (wk2) 270x3, 310x3, 350x4
    Back squat 225x10, 245x10, 275x10
    Gms 225x10x3
    Cgbench up to 275x3
    Incline bench 135x10x4
    Skip dips

Skip stationary bike

Fsquat was miserable. Training so early is taking some time to get used too. Shoulder feeling better but could still feel it on the incline presses. Got to stay more upright on the front squats as the bar was really pushing down I my wrists.

Training#2 @ 1230p

16# hammer
    *2 wind x 20ish, best 113

No big tosses here, just working the right hip drive. Watching lots of videos of Vierra and Larry Brock, their right knee and their finish specifically. Brock is very exaggerated with the right knee. I can see how he shoves his right knee hard to the left and then pushes his hip to accellerate the ball. For the finish he does this then there is a massive block that slingshots the shit out of the hammer. This is what I'm looking for. Getting close, but with the way I have my feet setup (toes pointing out) it's hard to drive the right knee in very much. Next practice I'm going to play with my right foot positioning. Going to try a few with my left toes pointing out and my right pointing slightly in, then try a few with my left toes pointing out and my right toes pointing straight then I'll watch vid and assess. I'm not looking for distances right now, just solely focusing on my finish. Once I get this down then I'll work on getting long and making the ball fast. I think this right knee thing is going to be big though when it comes to making the ball faster. Looking forward to results. Talked to Ryan Vierra via fb pm and he said he actually digs out his right foot so that he can pivot, rather than having it stuck in the ground. Going to give this a shot. I think this pivot and right knee drive is going to be huge with the hammer. Lots of little things are starting to come together. Hopefully they'll come together for the Tucson games, but if not I'll have one hell of an opener in Phoenix next year, haha.

Video

Macros = 58/57/242 (f/c/p) 1727cals, day 1/4 low carb
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

10/9/12 - deads/pp & stone
    Am weight = 272.6

Training#1 @ 430a

531 deads (wk2) 405x3, 460x3, 520x6
    531 push press (wk2) 200x3, 225x3, 255x5
    Rdls 315x8x2
    Strict ohp 135x8, 135x10
    Pullups bwx5x3
    Lawnmower rows 115x8x3

Good session. Shoulder is feeling good. Got on the dip rack and lowered myself down and there is still some pain so going to stray away from that for a while. Deads went well, had more in the tank but don't want to empty the tank. Push press was no issues, looking forward to progressing here again.

Training#2 @ 1230p

15.5# stone
    *stand x8
    *180 foot work drill
    *south african footwork drill
    *south african w/stone x8, blegghhhhhhhhh
    *south african footwork drill
    *full spin footwork
    *full spin x18-20

Stands felt really good. Need to remember to open my left arm as my left foot is coming down and keep my right shoulder back as far as possible for much separation. Was all over the place on the spins. Feeling very stiff and sore and it just wasn't working. I watched some vids of Dylan Armstrong and some other spinners and took now how they lead through the spring phase with their heel. Hmmm.. gave this a shot and balance was all over the place, BUT, it kept my right foot turning. Took a few more ugly reps and popped a couple in the 47-49 range, almost hitting 50 while still falling all over the place. Need to dial in the timing and balance of this new change but this is going to be awesome once I get it working. Back to the grindstone.

Video

Video

Macros = blegh. Only had 2 shakes all day and was running late to meet my family for a VeggieTales concert. Stopped at the in-laws and boom, pizza was available. 6 slices and 1/2 gallon of milk later I felt much better. Whatevs.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

10/14/12 - Seaside Highland Games (Ventura, CA)
    Am weight = high 270s

Seaside Highland Games - A Class

hwd - 40'5" (1st)
    lwd - 76'9" (1st)
    os - 51'11.75" PR (3rd)
    wob - 15' (1st)
    20#sheaf - 26' (2nd)
    bs - 34'8.5 (6th)
    Lham - 107'6" (3rd)
    Hham - 95' (1st)
    caber 19.5 x 75# - 12:00 (2nd)

Overall = 1st w/ 20pts

Beat out Scott Hutchison by just one point, that's what you call a close game. He was on my heels the whole time and had some awesome clutch throws, especially considering he threw open class with the pros the day before. What the hell was my excuse? lol. Here's the event breakdown:

First up, 56# wfd. I hate throwing wfd first. You know what I hate throwing more than throwing wfd first? Hwfd.. Very tough to get warmed up. We threw in a horse corral off of platforms, so our warmups were in the dirt/sand/wood chips. I was wearing throwing shoes so the traction was absolutely nil. My first toss was 35-36ish feet, just going through positions. 2nd was 38ish and last throw was 40. Took my extras and couldn't break 40 again. Just wasn't feeling anything on that platform. Didn't help that the turf wasn't secured to the wood and kept sliding around. Excuses.

Next up was the 28# wfd. Wasn't feeling this one bit. Very tough to hit positions, no pop on the finish. Meh.. I thought I had 78' on my 2nd toss but the sheet read 76' so that's that. I took a couple extras and went high 70s again, but nothing over 80. Just kept missing the finish. This is unacceptable. I need to be 40/80 with my eyes shut. Moving on.

Next up was the ostone. It was a pretty little stone that tucked very nice. With Josh McClure and Scott Hutch there, I had my work cut out for me. I had only 1 solid practice with the newest technique change so I was a bit ancy. Regardless, my first toss was a PR at 51'11.75". I saw 52' on the tape but lol whatevs. 2nd was high 48 and 3rd was 44 as the turf was bunching up and I just couldn't separate. Hutch smoked a nice 52'7 for the win and took some extras but wasn't able to better it. He's got some really big tosses in there when he dials it in consistantly.

Now..................we break for lunch, um... yeah, right? It was 11:40 and we had to be off the field by 12:00 so that they could bring the cannons out. Funny, because the cannons didn't come out until 12:20ish. They split the A group up into 2 groups, one group with 6 peeps and one group with 9 or 10. I was in the 9 or 10 group. So we didn't have time to do Braemar before lunch. We came back from lunch at 1:15, however, they were doing the Haggis toss so we really didn't get started until closer to 1:30-1:40ish.

First up after lunch: WOB. Bar started at 11ft. I came in at 12 to dial in accuracy. Accuracy has been an issue for me this year so I wanted to take a couple extra. Hit and knocked off the bar on the way down (out front) at 12 on my first attempt. That's ok because I knew where I needed to stand now. The biggest thing was that my tech felt good and I had a good long pull. So my foot positioning is the only thing I needed to change. Came in closer about 6" and boom, way over 12 and peaked right at the bar. No worries. Cleared 13, 14 and 15 on my first toss. Everyone else went out at 15. I was hoping to go for 16 for a season best as I was about 15'6" on my 15' toss with nothing on it. Since we were rushed we went right to sheaf.

20# sheaf was fun. I've been toying with a new follow through type style and I find it really effective, however, I need to practice it some more. Also was using a Cleavenger fork and I must say, that's a nice fork. Thinking about picking one up, I like. Anyways, bar started at 18' and was moving up 2' at a time. Ugh.. That's a lot of throws. I came in at 18 just because I need the practice as well as figuring out my accuracy with the new technique. I missed my first at 18' as I was out 4 paces and came down in front of the bar. Went out to 3 paces for the next one and was solid, though it still peaked in front of the bar. Next up, 2.5 paces out. As far as left/right, I went all the way to the left side of the standards then took a small step to the left so I was pretty much right in front of the left side of the standards. As far as tech is concerned, I was watching a bunch of vids. Specifically, Craig Smith's 25# sheaf WR and Frasure's enormous WR. I noticed how they separate their hips and drive the bag down their right side (Frasure's left because he holds the fork with his right). From there I freeze framed and could see how their right knee pushes in while the bag is still on the right side, then a HUGE left leg block is employed, almost exactly like the hammer. The upper torso is thrown backwards and sideways and the fork is allowed to follow through. No worries with a "late" block on your arm, just follow it through. By the time I was at 24' it was solid. I was close to 30' each shot at that point. 26' was cake and the bar was raised to 28'. Now my head got involved. First at 28' the bottom of the bag clipped the bar and bounced back forward. 2nd at 28' the bag came down on the bar and bounced back forward. 3rd at 28' and I clipped the bag on my right knee and it went nowhere. Oh well, no worries. I know what I've got to do now. I'm going to drill the shit out of sheaf and get that tech where it needs to be. I want to take a shot at the am WR in Tucson. Just got to keep it together.

After sheaf we went to braemar while the group that already did breamar started on heavy hammer. I was feeling very sluggish by now as all I've had all day was a couple protein shakes. I really don't like to eat at the games, but I need to figure something out as it just kills my afternoon performance. I was lucky to get out to 34'. I had one that felt great, but just didn't go anywhere. I need to be 38-40' every time, this is pathetic. Ended up taking 6th in this event. I'm embarrassed.

Next up was hammer. They put a metal bar down for us to use our blades but at this point it was 4:30pm and I didn't feel like changing so I just used my tennis shoes. I started warming up with heavy hammer and it felt awful. Just couldn't get long or fast. Feet were all over the place and overall no power. Then I was told we were doing light hammer.. what? whatever.. moving on. I grabbed the 16# hammer and chucked it out a WHOPPING 84 FEET.. Hellz yeah, PR central, lol. Next shot was 96ish. By now I'm sitting in 6th or so and I had no energy to get after it so I ran back and grabbed my blades. I know, pulled the bitch card right? Put the blades on and went 107 on my last toss for 3rd place. Hutch inched me out by 2" and Adam Brezina took the win with 110ft. He was so excited, you'd have thought that was the first time he's ever gotten to take extras, hahaha.

22# hammer next and the other half of the A group had moved onto caber. Meanwhile, we sat around for about 20 minutes waiting for some judging issue to resolve itself. By now, half of my group had dropped out because they were exhausted and done. My first toss with the 22 hammer was 89ft which put me in first over the other group and ours. My 2nd toss was 95ft and I called it there. Passed my 3rd and took the win with 95ft. Dropped the blades and put the tennies back on for caber.

Caber up, 19.5ft at 75lbs. Gonna be honest, I was intimidated. Sticks over 19ft are tough for me. My timing is off and my pulls have just been very weak lately. I've been working a handful of times with caber and tuning things up. Took my first pick, nice and easy. Sunk my hips, straightened my torso and drove like crazy. Got it moving pretty fast, stuck my feet and pulled hard and it turned like clockwork, though, I have no idea what it was, haha. 2nd turn was 11:30 and third was 12:00. Very happy. Hutch pulled a 12:15 and a 12:00 for the win so I took 2nd.

Overall was 1st and I'm pleased with that. We finished up at about 5:30-5:45ish. I think by the end of the day there was only 4 guys left in my group as everyone was just done so that last couple events went much faster and smoother, lol. My prize was a kilt, easily the coolest prize to date. I'm going to wear it in Tucson.

Thanks to Brandon Goodman, the AD, for having us out there and just being a cool dude. Despite all the issues we had, it was still a fun day with a fun crowd. The sheaf crowd itself was worth it. Very fun. SAAA could've handled things better but they did what they could with what they had and really tried to fix things at the end of the day. I can respect that. After all was said and done we got out of there at about 6:30pm. Stopped to get some food on the way back so we got on the road at about 7:30. Now the crappiest part about the whole weekend. The 8.5 hour drive home. I pulled in my garage at 4:00am and was supposed to be at work at 8:30am. That didn't happen. Ended up going in at about 10:30 but was exhausted all day.

Big thanks to Adam Brezina and Ed Brown for riding out to the games and hanging out and sharing cost with me. Same goes to Jake Nicol for riding back with Adam and I. I've made friends in my short tenure as a thrower that I'll never forget. Grats to Jake for taking 2nd at LW Worlds. Grats to Adam for taking 3rd in the A group. You're becoming a strong thrower, keep up the hard work. Grats to Scott for pushing me a bit harder than I am used to and had a lot of fun with him. Big big thanks go to Tod Stewart of Stewart & Torgerson Injury Law (1800ourlawyer.com) for contining to sponsor the team. Without his support, I wouldn't be going to half of the games I do. I really appreciate you making that possible for me and the team. So, anyone who is reading this, go wreck your car and give him a call.. haha... just kidding........................................... or am I?

Rest up monday and tuesday, back to the grind on Wednesday. Tucson coming up quick on 11/4. More work needs to be done. Improvements need to be made, excuses need to stop. Eyes on the prize.

ps, no video. I forgot my tripod at home and didn't wan't to be "that guy" who asks everyone to video my every throw.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Being overall winner in the Seaside Highland Games is quite awesome, congratulations Jake!!

Well done J!! Good win!! Your off season start now? Like the look of the goals. Got a plan. Go after it!
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

Congrats man.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002