Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: road to pro..

thanks terry, I appreciate the kind words

HJP, technically my offseason won't start until 11/5 but I'm sort-of starting it now. Going to do a benchmark period this week and next then get on start my offseason on the 29th. Since I'm competing on 11/4, I'll hit it mon-wed instead of mon-thurs then deload thurs-sat and blow it up on sunday.

thanks nick

update time:

yeah, Hutch was on my heels.. He made up some serious ground on Braemar

10/17/12 - fsquat/cgbench & hammer
    Am weight = ?

Training#1 @ 430a

531 fsquat (wk3) 290x5, 330x3, 370x3
    Back squat 225x10, 315x5x 405x3
    Gms 225x8, 225x10
    531 cgbench (wk3) 255x5, 285x3, 320x1
    Incline bench 135x10, 185x10
    Single Db overhead extension x2

Training #2 @ 630a

20# hammer x 3 two winds
    16# hammer x 6 two winds
    20# hammer x 6 three winds
    16# hammer x 16 three winds

Meh. Not a very beneficial session, but I suppose I'll have those every once in a while. Playing with the starting hammer position as well as 'fanning' my right blade. Starting with the hammer ball about 1ft behind my right heel seems to work pretty well. Tried fanning my right blade so I could pivot better and just couldn't move very well. Next hammer sesh I'm gonna try digging in with my right foot pointed slightly inwards. Really trying to separate from the ball and drive with my right hip. Lots of work still.

Macros = 87/77/207 (f/c/p) 1903cals, day 3/4 low carb

Been getting a little laxed with calories, allowing a little bit more carbs and fats in exchange for protein. Been thinking alot about protein requirements so going to play with that a bit and see what happens with recovery and performance.

10/18/2012 - benchmark day 1 & hwd
    Am weight = 269.4

Training#1 @ 430a

Deads up to 635x1
    Strict ohp up to 255x1
    Push press up to 305x1, miss 315

Good place to start. Back and legs still sore from yesterday. Looking to push these numbers quite a bit this offseason. Shoulder gave me no hassles, though I was pretty timid on the strict presses. Going to start pushing it again next week. Need to max fsquat, incline press, close grip press, and back squat next week. Fun.

Training#2 @ 630a

56# wfd x 22ish

Nothing big here. Avg 37-38ft, just hitting positions. Focus on separating and pushing the weight to zero. Good sesh, specifically after the fatigue of deads.

Macros = meh, probably the same-ish as yesterday, day 4/4 low carb
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

10/19/2012 - snatch/misc & sheaf
    Am weight = 270.6

Training #1 @ 430a

Hang power snatch up to 155x2, bar x lots
    Snatch pulls bar x lots
    Pull-ups bw x6x3
    Curls/db twists/leg raises

Very stiff and unmotivated this morning. Snatch felt very off and wasnt getting a good bump or any power out of it. Dropped down and focused on tech only with the bar. Focused on keeping my shoulder blades together and upper back arched. This gave me a much better bump position as week as a much stronger pull. Sweet. Going to try to work up to a higher rep scheme on pull-ups too.

Training #2 @ 620a

20# sheaf x 30-40

Great sheaf session. Learned a few things that work well for me.

1) don't put hands too far apart. Keeping them a bit closer helps with the backswing and drive. Marked my handle too.

2) drive the bag down focusing on keeping the bag to the right of my right foot. In the vid you can see it drift but the mental cue to keep it that far right helps a lot. While driving the bag down, I pushed my right knee in to separate a little from my upper body an the bag. It's very easy to allow the bag to drift left while pushing the right knee in so focus on keeping the bag on the right.

3) huge huge left leg block. Push the right knee in to separate then as soon as the bag hits its low point, huge lift with the left. At this point just follow through with the fork.

4) stagger my feet. I didn't think about this until indie it accidentally. I put my right foot about 6" behind my left but kept the same fork path. So I had to each out a little bit on my right side but the block was much stronger.

^^ this makes me wonder. Does anybody stagger their feet on the hammer?

I'll continue to practice and note my findings but so far I'm pleased with the progression. Today was very beneficial for sheaf, despite still being stiff an feeling run-down.

Video

Macros = ? Carb day ftw
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

10/22/12 - fsquat/cgbench & hammer
    Training#1 @ 430a

Fsquat up to 425x1
    cgbench up to 365x1
    incline press 135x4
    pullups bw x8x3

Not bad but not great. Had more in me on the front squat but the half rack was too high for my bottom position and the regular rack was taken so I didn't want to fail and drop the weight 3 feet off the floor. Close grip bench felt good, no issues with the shoulder. Incline on the other hand wasn't a fan. Stiffened up and I didn't want to push my luck. I'll be able to get back at it soon enough. Tried to do a dip as well and no bueno. Will do some skullcrushers or overhead extensions in the meantime, still need to hammer my triceps.

Training#2 @ 630a

16# hammer x2 + 14# hammer x1 x8 rounds
    *3 winds for all reps, best of 117

Couple changes:

1) staggered left foot in front of right approx 2-3". This made for a really big block on my finish and also made it easier to drive my right hip into
    2) kept a focal point off my left side. When the ball came up my left side, I leaned back, eyes to the sky and arms fully extended, then as soon as I "caught" the hammer, my eyes went back to the focal point on the left. This really helped speed the ball up immediately instead of dropping then speeding it up. As the ball was falling and reached about 8:00 I would try to push my right knee in and separate from the ball to drive it harder. This was hit and miss, lots more reps required here but it felt good.
    3) drag the ball on the finish. I worked on catching the ball way to my right and dragging it through its low point on the finish then a huge left side block. The finishes are feeling very good. Can't wait to get all this down and actually speed it up. Not sure if it'll be ready for Tucson, but I'll give it all I've got.

Video

Macros = ?

Haven't really been tracking my calories. I pay attention to protein and keep my carbs low. Today's food was:

1 scoop whey
    .....train#1
    1 scoop whey
    .....train#2
    1 scoop whey
    2 double cheeseburgers protein style (no bun)
    5 egg omelette with about 3/4c cheddar cheese and approx 24oz skim milk

10/23/12 - deads/ppress & stone
    Am weight = 270.8

Training#1 @ 430a

Deads 540x2, 485x5x2
    Strict ohp 195x5x3
    Push press 235x5x3
    Db curls & db rows x12x2

Not a bad sesh. Trying something new out, 3x5 for 3 weeks then 3x3 for 3 weeks with deloads between. Was supposed to be 85% and 95% respectively but I think that's just too heavy. Dropping that down to the same %s but of my 90% max instead and doing a max rep for the last set. Focus will be moving the weight fast.

Training#2 @ 620a

15.5# stone
    *stand x10
    *south African drill x5
    *full spin x15ish

Meh, not comfortable on these at all. Very stiff and mechanical. Watched video and it appears I'm not opening my left leg up all the way before sprinting and this could be affecting a good amount of the throw. Got to land, keep the right foot turning me block hard. Still so much work here.

Macros = ?

Scoop whey
    .....train#1
    Scoop whey
    .....train#2
    Scoop whey
    2 cans tuna w/light mayo
    2 cheeseburgers without bun, mozzarella cheese and approx 24oz skim milk
    Last edited by JSully; 10-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

10/25/12 - back squat & hammer
    Am weight = ?

Training#1 @ 445a

back squat up to 525x1
    step ups to 18" box 135x10x2
    lying leg raises & russian twists x2 sets

Got to the gym late so it pushed everything back, not to mention working up to a max effort squat takes longer than a typical session. Regardless, good effort on the back squats. Certainly wasn't expecting that as I was just hoping to get 495 for a single. Hopefully I can push this up to 600 by the Phoenix games, we'll see. Def got a lot of work ahead of me this off season. I'm ready for it. Tucson is the last game of the season for me so I'm starting my next week on the 29th. I'll compete on the 4th, but I'm not going to do a full deload like usual. I'll train Mon-Wed and throw on Thursday then rest Friday and Saturday, then compete Sunday.

Training#2 @ 630a

hammers
    *16#x2 + 14# x1 x12 rounds.

All 3 winds. I like going 3 times in a row before breaking. Can get in more reps and can work on things while I've got it fresh in my mind. On the downside, hammers take a lot out of me. Good thing I have the 14# hammer to finish off with. Ideally I'd love to have 2 more 16# hammers but oh well. I've got a 22 and a 20 so I'll eventually throw those in when I'm more satisfied with my tech. Few things to note today:

Video

1) Brought stance closer.
    2) Didn't stagger feet.
    3) Focused on pulling my right elbow back as far as possible on 1.
    4) Focused on a huge orbit vs speed.
    5) Tried to get extremely long and "whippy" on 3.

Missed the finish, way too early. Need to drag through the low point before finishing big.
    Going to start working just winds as drills before actually throwing as I feel that's needed to really drill the positions in consistantly. I need to be consistent at getting long and very loose on 2 and 3 so I can use my hips to drive the ball around. Lots of work on this over the next few months.

Macros? still too early, probably the same as Monday. Day 4/4 low carb, training tomorrow so I'll get a good weigh in before the carbup. Was 269 yesterday.

10/26/12 - sheaf/hwd/ostone
    Am weight = 268.4

Training @ 540a

20# sheaf x 25ish
    56# wfd x 20
    15.5# ostone full spin x15

Sheaf went well. Just solidfying what I learned last week. Workin on separating from the bag, pushing my right hip to the left while driving the bag down to it's low point outside of my right leg, then a huge left leg block. Experimented with bag angle and worked on getting lower with my legs rather than my torso, still some more work to do here.

WFD went great. First 5 reps were miserable. Still very stiff and sore from this weeks training. By the 6th rep I was hitting positions spot on. Focused on taking a very little sprint with a huge finish. Think, 60/100 sprint/finish. Worked on separating at the front, pushing to zero and a big big lift. Definately getting these positions better. Hitting 39-40 with no sprint, solid. Afterwards I started adding in the sprint and went high 43s but then started missing the finish so I dialed it back down. Once this gets going 100% there is going to be some big tosses coming.

Ostone is still a mess for me. I feel TOO linear. Like all I'm doing is driving straight and getting no rotation or coil at all. Watched one of Dylan Armstrongs videos ALOT after practice and I know that he travels linearly in a diagonal line (perfectly, btw), however, watching the ball and his upper body, he's so rotational is ridiculous. Talking with Sroka for a bit on it and I believe it's all in my perception and mental cues. I perceive that he's pretty much all rotational with very little linear drive. My curernt throws are all linear with very little rotation. I'm going to take a step forward from the backline and work on wrapping and driving my hips while keeping a diagonal line with my feet from back to front.

Big practice tomorrow, pretty excited. Will probably hit all events, hoping we get some standards setup so I can take a few pulls on the wob. I need to spend some more time with wob. If I can get my timing right and pull longer, I've got some big tosses in my future.

Macros = ? lulz, carb day ftw
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    Macros = ? lulz, carb day ftw
    It's pretty sad when I'm planning out my refeeds during the week and actually getting excited going to bed the night before, knowing I get to eat complete shit the next day.

Do you stay fairly strict with fat, or just eat whatever the hell you want?
    Last edited by Invain; 10-26-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Nick, I eat whatever the hell I want. I'm to the point now where I'm not even counting my calories on low carb days. I just put a bunch of food on the counter and count the protein and make sure the carbs are almost non-existant. Then on carb days, I eat whatever until I'm "satisfied". Maybe once over the weekend I'll gorge myself. That seems to have helped the most, not stuffing my face until I'm super full.

10/27/12 - stone/wfd/hammer/sheaf/caber
    Am weight = 273

Training @ 930a

24# standing shot x 2

22# bstone x 6, best of 38+

Watched some video of Jon O’Neil here since his Braemar is just incredible and noticed how he really pushes his right knee and hip leading his upper body. Something about the video of him doing it clicked better than watching video of other guys, despite some of the other guys maybe going a little farther. I watch MattV and several other big Bstone guys and I just can’t seem to get what they’re doing. Jon’s vid was pretty helpful. Its very apparent how he pushes his right side straight into a big block. Progress here, haven’t gone 38+ in a long time. I think I had a couple over 38 with a best of 38’10”.

16# ostone full spin x 3-4

15.5# ostone full spin x 4-6

I didn't mark any of these, but I think I heard someone say I went 48+ with the 16. Wasn't really paying attention. Was focusing on trying to be more rotational and less linear. Definiately achieved this, though to a larger extent than I wanted. I need the linear drive to get a solid block and get over the trig. At the same time, I need to be very rotational to keep my hips in front of the ball. One throw I nailed this perfectly. Almost nailed it on the next but just missed it and shut it down. I found that if I "hop" forward onto my right leg, I end up landing with my right foot facing 6:00. Then my right leg has to absorb the impact and wait for the left to come around before it can start turning again. In contrast, if I drive less with my left leg and focus on landing with my right facing 9:00 and pull my left around, my right never stops moving and I get fantastic separation. Dedicated stones practice tomorrow so I'm going to be spending a lot of time with this. Slow out of the back, push the left knee out and around. From there, lead with my right leg. Typically I would lead with my right leg then, hop, onto it to bring my left around. In this instance, I lead with my right leg and almost “fell” onto it. I landed with my right foot at 9:00 and focused on pushing my right knee to the ground to keep it turning, also keeping my weight on the outside of the ball of my right foot. That seemed to help it turn better as well. My hips got moving incredibly fast and everything else fell apart, but I got the feeling. Now I need to reproduce it a few hundred times. Finally, a breakthrough.

Video

56# wfd x 6-8, best of 41
    42# wfd x 4-6, best of 59

28# wfd x 4-6, best of 83

Weights went well. First 3-4 throws were just walkthroughs, feeling the position. Very slow/little sprint with good separation and sink for the finish. Started speeding it up and had a couple good tosses around 40ft, though, for some reason I was finishing early instead of finishing my push to zero. Not sure why but it was frustration. Then I went way too early with a HUGE sprint and blew out my grip off to the right side. I think the ball still went 35ft or so and almost hit a training partner, lol. Slowed it back down for a few more and was hitting easy 38-39ft so I shut it down and threw a few with the 42 for fun. Was finishing early again on these. I need to be more patient at the front when my sprint is so minimal. Took several at 57 and the best was 59'10 right down the pipe so I was pretty happy with that. A couple easy 75-77s with the 28, then a big one at 83 and a few more at 80-81. Need to remember to sink my hips for a huge drive and lift on the finish. I always forget that part with the light.

16# hammer x 6-8, 120ish

12# hammer x 2-3, 130ish

Hammer has been giving me grief lately and today was no exception. Need to focus on pulling my right elbow back as far as possible on the first wind AND pushing my butt/hips back to get my hips swiveling.

20# sheaf x 6-8

Good practice day here. Lots of effortless high throws. Focus on pushing my right hip to the left while separating and pushing the bag down, outside of my right foot. Happy with this for now. Will see what it yields in Tucson next weekend.

Small caber (17.5 x 75#) x 4-6, all easy turns

Easy easy caber. Just focused on keeping my hips low and torso up so I can get a strong drive on the stick. Also focused on dropping the caber into place on my hips BEFORE stopping for my pull. These worked very well. Was turning the caber and it was close to 80 degrees the opposite directly before the top hit the ground. Getting more confident with the caber. I like.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Truly in your element with these games training. Good luck moving forward, will be watching for the upcoming showdown in Tuscon.

Thanks Terry, it was a good showing. Here's the writeup.

11/4/12 - Tucson Games

Tucson Highland Games A Class

Bs 33+ (2nd)

Os 47+ (1st)

Hwd 417 PR (1st)

Lwd 78+ (1st)

20# Sheaf 27

Hham 94+ (1st)

Lham 114+ (2nd)

Caber 2:30ish (3rd)

WOB- 16 spin (1st)

Overall 1st

Well, that was a fun games. Havent had that much fun in a while. Lots of talent moving into the As as of late and it keeps you on your heels. It was great seeing the guys and hanging out.

Bs- ugly piece of shit 24.5# AZ stone (which I thought we got rid of and replaced with a decent 22 pounder). Couldnt get a good handle on this thing. I went 35+ with it in Phoenix the first game of the season. Just lacking explosion here today. Good enough for 2nd which is fine because theres no way I wanted to take extras with that piece of crap.

Os- meh, the trouble ensues. Went 46+ for the W and then took extras and went 47+. No PRs here. Was just focusing on getting my right foot down, staying low then bringing my left foot down very quickly. I tend to progress pretty quickly and with all the recent changes I just didnt have enough time. I will have some very big ostone numbers next season though.

Hwfd went 39+ on my first attempt, just walking through the positions. Fouled my second at 43+ and I cant remember my third. Took the extras and finished with 417 which is a PR. I should be happy but there is much more in the tank here as I wasnt really able to crush the finish on any of these. I had a decent sprint and just blew by the push on the finish.

Lwfd blegh 78+. Was getting great speed on the sprint but again missing the finish. Not unhappy with this but not happy with it either.

20# sheaf Cleared 27ft without much of an issue. Went to 30ft afterwards and had missed on accuracy. Was either peaking in front or behind the bar. Only spent about 3 weeks practicing sheaf so its time to invest time time and get good at it for phoenix next year.

Hhammer playing with a new grip so not really focused on the normal stuff. Just trying to get longer on my left side for a smoother pull and I think Ive taken that step forward. Watched a video of the Celtic Giants in Norther Ireland from 2005 and noticed that Vierra only has 2 fingers of his right hand touching the hammer and the other two fingers are wrapped around his left hand. Gave this a shot and was getting very long. Felt great. Didnt put anything on it but still dropped my first one at 91ft and second at 94ft, good enough for 1st so I passed my 3rd since I knew Adam would give me a run for my money on Lhammer.

Lhammer Just worked on hitting positions and really only increasing speed on 3. I think I went 109, 112, 114 and Adam hit 115 on his last one so he took the cake. Going to be working hammer a lot this off season too. Now that Im getting more comfortable with the positions, its time to take A LOT of throws and work on getting them fast.

Caber 18ft 100#s, by now we were all pretty tired and this caber def felt more like 150#s than 100, lol. It had gotten windy all of a sudden so we were chasing a hell of a headwind when running. I think only 4 of us turned the caber. Neither Adam nor myself turned the 1st attempts so we took a deep breath and figured we had to actually try on our 2nd and 3rd attempts. I think I got a 2:30 or something on both 2nd and 3rd. Both attempts I had a great pick and really good run, then I put the caber into position on my hip, stopped and pulled both times the headwind slowed the top of the caber down so much, haha.. oh well..

Wob 16ft spinning. First time ever spinning. I attempted a spin in phoenix 2011 and that was just silly. I cleared 12 and 13 standing. It was a long day, 9th event and we were all tired so I decided to just have some fun. Chalked the shit out of my thumb and went for it with the spin. Cleared 14 and 15 easy. Then Adam wanted 156 to go for a PR and he crushed it. Then I spun 156 and 16 again pretty easy. Jumped to 17 and just couldnt get it. I would have it the bar on one of the attempts but my peak was off. This was pretty fun so Im going to play around with this learning the accuracy. Itll be a nice tool to have in my box.

Overall had a great time on a great field. Thanks to Rich Wells for putting on a great and fun games like he always does. Thanks to my teammates Adam Brezina and Jake Nicol for pushing me and having a great time. Thanks to Stewart and Torgersen Injury Law (1800ourlawyer.com) for continuing to support us and allow us to keep having fun at all these games. Were very proud to and grateful to have the chances to represent the company the way we do. Props out to Ed Green my training partner for putting together a solid performance. Tech is looking much improved. Had you not DFLd hwd by fouling completely out, I think you would have gotten a pretty good placing. Thanks to my family for coming out and supporting me and taking care of my little boy while he runs all over the place. Big big big thanks to my always supportive wife, hauling our (almost) 2 year old 2 hours away from home and out on the field while being 6.5 months preggers and still looking so damn fine while doing it. Love you always sweetheart.

Now, its go time. Off season is going to be big this year. Contemplating increasing calories to maintenance now and making some real progress. Ill take a week to decide for sure if thats what I want to do or not. First games of the year will be Phoenix in March 2013. Im going to label that a "Game of PRs" for me. Haha..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Overall 1st
    That is awesome Jake, congrats!!

Well done on taking out the last competition of the year mate. Looking forward to following the relentless work in the off season to prepare for that "game of PR's" in March - again well done bro
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

Thanks fellas, next year I want to go pro. There will be an Amateur World Championship game that if you win, you automatically get invited to the Pro world championships. Similar to earning a Pro card. In this sport, you can declare yourself pro at anytime. But getting that invite is a big priveledge. If I don't win Worlds, then I will continue to train and debut as a pro in the Phoenix 2014 games. So this offseason has to be huge for me. I've got some really good plans for dialing in each event so I'm really looking forward to next season. Here's last 2 days, already prettying up my hammers.

11/7/12 - fsquat/cgbench & hammer
    Training#1 @ 445a

Fsquat 350x5x2, 350x8
    Cgbench 300x5x2, 300x3
    Pull-ups bwx5x3

Good sesh, very happy with the front squats, looks like I'm making progress here again. Cut the accessory as I'll be training 3 days in a row this week. Will add back in next week. Cg bench was ok, bummed about the last set.

Training#2 @ 630a

16# hammer
    *5 winds no release x 12-15
    *3 wind throws x6-8

Working various things here:

fixing focal point
    sinking hips to drive the ball down
    pushing right knee in to drive the right hip to drive the ball left
    getting under the ball quickly so I can stay long

Every rep was iffy, hard to put it all together, but I'm getting rid of bad habits and forming new good ones so I'm happy with the practice.

11/8/12 - ppress/deads & hammer
    Training#1 @ 440a

Push press 250x5x2, 250x8
    Deads 520x5x2, 520x8
    Db rows x2

Great day. Not much accessory stuff but meh, whatevs. Push press felt really solid. Deads started out feeling heavy but got lighter with each set and rep. The rep out for both was pretty fun. Conditioning is shit. Need to get on this.

Training#2 @ 630a

16# hammer
    *5 winds no release x 8-10
    *3 wind throws x16

Spending a lot of time watching Larry Brock's hammer videos. His tech is flawless. Working on catching high, driving the ball down then pushing it with my right hip before pulling it back up. Need to focus more on sinking my hips on the down stroke so I can get more hip behind the ball to drive it faster. Slow reps today and for the next couple sessions, just drilling the movement pattern in then I can start getting after it. Changing focal point to dead I front of me helped a lot. Not twisting my hips to the right so much is letting me drive the ball better. Need to work on staying long on the left side though without sacrificing orbit angle by leaning back too far. Good practice.

Video

Haven't been paying attention to calories, but I was about 276 last night after dinner. Workouts and throws are both up. I'd really like to maintain here so I'll have to start paying attention to calories again soon. Blegh, sick of counting.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

There will be an Amateur World Championship game that if you win, you automatically get invited to the Pro world championships. Similar to earning a Pro card.
    Will be on watch man, looking to see you get the big invite - Big things to come!!

thanks coke

11/9/12 - snatch/bsquat & stone/wfd
    Training#1 @ 430a

Power snatch up to ugly 205x3
    Bsquat 430x5x2, 430x6
    12" box step ups 135x8, 225x8x2

Training#2 @ 640a

15.5# stone
    *stand x6
    *south African x6
    *full spin x8

Just getting the reps in here. Spoke with MattV for a while and came to the conclusion I'm driving too hard with my right leg and that's why I'm over-reaching.. need to focus more on driving/sprinting with my left leg. Focus on "walking through" the spin. Going to try to fall onto my right and bring my left around fast, similar to Jacko Gill. From there I can progress a bit more. Definitely need to get this reaching issue under control.

56# wfd
    *one turn x6
    *full x6
    28# wfd x4

One turns felt good, need faster feet to get into a position sooner for a big finish. Faster feet -> more push to zero -> faster implement -> bigger finish. Drifting 6 or so inches forward on my first spin. Need to fix this as I'm stepping over the trig by about 6" at the front. Also focused leaning over my right side and getting a real long pull/push on the weight. I definitely like this. 28 was good, feeling tired so the throws weren't great.

11/12/12 - fsquat/cgpress & hammer
    Training#1 @ 430a

Fsquat 370x3x2, 370x6
    Gms 225x10, 275x10, 315x10
    Cgbench 315x3x3
    Pull-ups bwx5x5

Db overhead tri ext x3

Training#2 @ 645a

16# hammer
    *5 winds no release x10
    *3 wind throws x14

Keeping a focal point right in front of me at all times, especially the first wind. From there focusing on dropping my hips and pushing my right knee in to drive the ball. Lift the ball, eyes to the sky, drop, push the knee on the 2nd wind. Then extend to my left, lift the ball, watch the ball, drop the hips, push the right knee and big finish. Getting much more natural. Very slow movement getting high 1-teens. Going to do the same tomorrow then see if I can get after it on Thursday without missing the finish. If I start missing the finish on then I'll slow it down again. Focus here is to nail all the positions then as soon as the ball is above me, catch it, drive it and finish the hell out of it. Very happy with how hammer is coming along just in the past 2 weeks with the added hammer practice.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Are there cash pay-outs for the "pro" level meets?

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Are there cash pay-outs for the "pro" level meets?
    Yes, but the amount is not standard. Typically the Celtic Association that is hosting the games gives each of the classes (pipers, dancers, athletics, etc) a budget for prizes, implements, fencing, etc. The bigger the festival the bigger the budget. Ones like Pleasanton, CA or Bethlehem, PA for instance have enormous budgets and therefore awesome payouts for the Pros. They're even adding a Highland Games at the Arnold 2013 (Pro Invite Only). I'm hoping to make that invite list for 2014, but we'll see. Typically the games will have $150-300ish for travel/lodging (and some will provide hotel separately) and then a payout list for 1st through 5th or whatever. Others like Enunclaw, WA will pay based on field records (in addition to standard payouts) whereas if you break field record you get $50, 100, 150 or something like that. World Championships got $2500 for the winner + travel and provided hotel. I know it's not much, but when it's just a hobby, its cool to get paid for it. Last years Worlds got much more, again it just depends on the size of the venue.

You CAN do this as a full time job if you wanted to. There are circuits here, in the UK (scotland, ireland), as well as an Eastern Europen circuit and an Australian circuit. If you wanted to throw at 50+ games per year, I've heard you can make $70k+ per year. That's an awful lot of stress on your body. I do 6-12 games per year and have fun. Going Pro will be a way to continue to support my hobby, keep me strong and athletic and let me see more of the country on someone elses dime. I'd encourage anybody to give it a shot, it's a very fun and intriguing sport.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

not to mention humbling, I should add.

When I first heard about the games someone told me you threw a 56lb ball.. I'm like, whatevs, only 56lbs. LOLLLLLLLLL. If you want to go far, there is A LOT of work that needs to be put in. Same to say with the stones and hammers. The caber is akward as shit as well. There is a pretty big games in Detroit every year. You should go check it out.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

11/13/12 - ppress/deads
    Am weight = 269

Training @ 430a

Ppress 265x3x2, 265x5
    Deads 550x3x2, 550x6

Today was one of those days. Push press warmups felt ok but the first work set at 265 felt miserable. Stiff, low energy levels and just didn't "want" to be there. Last set was a max rep but 5 reps was def not max reps. I'm fairly certain I could've gone to 8 if I had the desire to really push it. Stopped at 5 because the lockout felt hard. This is a 5 rep work set for me in about 3 weeks, so hitting this for 5 makes me confident for my next cycle after I deload next week. Deads felt good once I got going. I've gotten into a terrible habit of using straps because at 5am, I'm so lazy I just don't want to put any effort where it isn't needed. I'm going to start chalking again. I just feel more in-tune with the bar without straps. Deads weren't easy but they certainly weren't hard. Again, just stopped at 6 here because I didn't have the WIM. Probably could've gone to 8, possibly 10.

Skipped hammers today, like I said, one of those days. Went home and relaxed for a bit with the Mrs and played with the kiddo some before heading into work. Tomorrow is my 4 year wedding anniversary so there will be no training and I'm taking the day off. I'll hit some snatches/squats/hammers on thursday, then some stones/weights friday and stones/weights/hammers/caber saturday and done-zo until the week of the 26th (outside of some deload type stuff, maybe 2 light weight sessions and 2 light throws sessions early next week).
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

big update from last few days:

11/15/12 - snatch/ bsquat & hammer
    Training#1 @ 430a

Power snatch up to 205
    Back squat 455x3x2, 455x5
    12" box step ups 135x8, 225x8x2
    Db rows x2

Meh, just putting work in.

Training#2 @ 630a

16# hammer
    *5 winds no release x8-10
    *3 winds w/release x12

Working on driving the right hip and dropping my hips to sink the ball while staying long on the left side. Coming along.

11/16/12 - stone/wfd
    Training @ 6a

15.5# stone
    *stand x6-8
    *full spin x6-8

meh
    56# wfd
    *1 turn x5
    *2 turn x3

Cop showed up and told us someone called regarding suspicious activity in the park.

1) We aren't in a park, it's a water retention basin.
    2) We aren't breaking parks & rec regulations
    3) We have permission from parks & rec dept to be there.

Officer was cool about it and said we could keep throwing but he had already taken up most of my allotted time and I need to get to work. Was a bit annoyed about that.

11/21/12 - stone/wfd/hammer
    Training @ 345p

15.5# stone
    *standing x5-8, 40-42ish
    *full spin x5-8, 45-47ish

Not really into the stones as of late so I just put the work in. Did figure out that I'm raising my right leg too high off the ground. I've known this and keep falling into bad habits until someone points it out. On my very last rep, kept my right close to the ground and more of a sweeping motion. Right foot landed, kept turning, hit the block. Good toss.

56# wfd
    *1 turn x5-6, 38-42
    *full x6-8, best of 46'10" training PR

28# wfd x5, best of 82ish

1 turns were feeling solid, especially after taking most of the week off from training. Was really focusing on getting low and leaning a bit to my right side for a long pull. Switched to fulls and the magic started. Two throws under 40ft. Avg about 42ft with a couple at 43ft. Then on my last one I just wanted to get low and really hit a long long finish..........and that happened. Stepped over the trig but it flew over the cone I had at 45ft. Tweaked my left knee a tiny bit, just some old patellar tendonitis so nothing new. Finally broke that 45ft barrier and felt what a big throw should feel like. Looking forward to things to come on this one. Went onto the 28 at this point. Went 3 in the high 70s and 2 in the low 80s. Need to work with the 28 more so I can dial in my timing for a big throw. I swear the 82 footer landed around 85, but there wasn't any divots around (was throwing into dirt) so I just went with the next closest which was 82. Meh, whatevs. There's a big one in there lurking.

16# hammer
    *winds x2-3 to loosen up
    *full throws x6-8, 118-122ish

Working on catching the ball high then immediately dropping my hips and pushing my right knee in then getting super long with my left. Very smooth, just slow. Looking forward to adding some speed to this soon.

Great training day out with Adam Brezina and Brandon Hall today. Looking forward to the next time we throw together.

11/26/12 - fsquat/cgpress & hammer
    Training#1 @ 430a

Fsquat 350x5x2, 350x8
    Cgpress 300x5, 300x4, 300x3
    Gms 225x10, 275x10
    Pull-ups/dips x2

Training#2 @ 640a

16# hammer
    *winds x6-8
    *full x10, best 122

Getting more consistent with the hammer: sink hips / drive right knee in / long left side

11/27/12 - ppress/deads & hammer
    Training#1 @ 430a

Push press 250x5x2, 250x7
    Deads 525x5x3
    Box jumps/db rows/db curls x2 sets

Training partner nailed 10 reps with his last set of deads. I could have done the same but every effing rep made me feel like I was going to vomit. No bueno.

Training#2 @ 645a

16# hammer
    *winds x5
    *throws x22, best 128'

Started picking up the speed on the last 4-5 tosses. Training PR at 128' felt solid. Looking forward to getting after it even more.

Video

11/28/12 - stone/wfd
    Training @ 640a

15.5# braemar stone x 12, best of 47'

Making changes here. Staggered my left leg back more to open my hips better. Focused on leading everything with my right hip. Also worked on my reverse a bit as it was previously decreasing power output. Had some really good tosses, avg about 45ft. Improvements ftmfw.

56# wfd
    *1 turn x8, avg 41-42
    *full x11, best of 45ft, one at 44 and a bunch at 43ft

Working higher effort throws here to dial in timing for a big pull. Still need to sink a little bit more and reach for a longer pull. Moar improvements. Satisfied.

11/29/12 - snatch/bsquat & hammers
    Am weight = 275.2lbs

Training#1 @ 430a

hang snatch up to 155x3x2
    hang snatch pulls 225x3x3
    back squat 435x4, 435x5, 435x6

and done. No stepups today, knees were on fire and overall fatigue creeping up to record high levels. Was supposed to be 435x5x3 with max rep on the last set. First set of 4 was demoralizing, just couldn't push it. Pulled it together on the 2nd set and made up the missed rep on the 3rd set.

Training#2 @ 645a

16# hammer
    *winds x3
    *full x16, best of 131'8" big training PR

Took a couple winds to loosen up after the squats and it was feeling good. Very whippy and long. First toss was 114' with nothing on it so I knew it was going to be a good day. Started getting after it after the 3rd or 4th toss, working on speeding up the 3rd wind. Nice and stead first wind into a smooth 2nd wind with a wide orbit then an ridiculous 3rd wind and big finish. Hit a couple 128s and a bunch of 125s with a 129 in the mix. Kept missing my finish either early or late which made a huge difference in where the hammer fell. Decided to slow it down just a tidbit and hit one out at 128 again straight down the pipe. Sped it up just a tiny tiny bit and nailed the 131'8 for a big PR. As soon as it left my hands I knew it was going to go 130+. Big focus here was to keep my hips moving. Catch it high, sink my hips and drive my right knee in to get it moving then get long on left side and immedately sink hips again. Slow to fast was also a focus here. Don't kill the 2nd wind, keep it smooth and kill the 3rd. Making progress here. No predictions but I definately feel there is more int he tank.

Video
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Good work. Glad to see you keep on winning.

How do your numbers compare to the pro guys?

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Good work. Glad to see you keep on winning.

How do your numbers compare to the pro guys?
    Thanks boss. I would be ranked in the high teens in the country right now as a Pro. Maybe low 20s to be conservative. I've got some weak events I need to bring up before the end of March.

12/1/12 - stone/wfd/hammer
    Training @ 830a

21.5# braemar stone x8-10, best of 40'

PR with this heavy of a stone. Been staggering my left behind my right a bit more. Left toes are 2-3" behind my right heel. This is letting me push my right hip through better to get more separation. I think there's still more in the tank, but considering stones haven't been a focus as of late I'm happy with some progress.

15.5# ostone x10-12, best of 50'

Same as with bstone. Stones haven't been a focus as of late, but this was a pretty good stone session. Worked on keeping my right foot low, more of a sweeping motion that transitions into a very fast spin and placement of my left foot. Not pulling my left around as much as I need to which is causing the finish to be off, but this is a definite improvement over before. Felt much smoother. Had a couple really good toses that came off my fingertips. Just wasn't able to put it all together without something going wrong.

56# wfd
    *1 turn x3-5, best of 42'
    full x6-8, best of 45'

Focus on getting low on the 1 turns for a big long pull on the finish. Also was focusing on not stepping over. I do a lot of step-overs and I don't want to get in the habit of this. I need to go big in the trig and stepping over in a games is not going to get me there so I was working on dialing in a big finish without coming over. Felt good. For the fulls, first few tosses I shot right over the trig before finishing. I think my 2nd turn was too flat. Fixed this and was landing just right. Nailed a few with lower hips and went several 43s, a couple 44s and a 45. Need to get lower. High 40s have to be consistent.

28# wfd x6-8, best of 82

I had one I thought I lauched out there, but it hit an invisible wall. I need to get lower and much faster. Just not getting a long finish like on the heavy. Going to be spending a lot of time with lwd in february to work on speed and timing. I need this to be in the high 80s if I want to be competitive with the big dogs next year.

22# hammer x6-8, best of 103'

Haven't swung a heavy hammer since the Tucson games so I was really tight on this. Not really able to get super long and comfortable with it. First one was mid 80s, second was high 90s, third was 102 and the rest were up over 100. Threw away my gloves on thursday because they were too tackied up and didn't have a chance to get more. The tacky on my bare hands felt fine in the beginning of the throw but by the 3rd wind I could feel it slipping out and this was causing me to pull in. Just wasn't getting very long and relaxed here. Need to start throwing heavy hammer more often. Will add these in on saturdays with the rest of the tosses.

16# hammer x1 = wom wom wommmmmm

Felt abs really tighten up on this rep and just decided to call it. Was pretty tired and rounding the 3rd hour of practice.

Overall good throws session with Adam and Eddie. Looking forward to continued progress this off-season. Goal next year is to not look like a fool in the Pro class.

..........yes I said Pro class. I decided that it doesn't really benefit me to stay an amateur next year. I don't have plans to travel and compete in lots of games next year, so with that said... why wait? I feel that throwing myself to the wolves will only make me a better thrower and increase my experience level among esteemed athletes. I'm very excited and very intimidated at the same time. I know that I'll only get a handful of invites next year and I'm ok with that, considering I only complete a handful of times anyways. I'm hoping the experience I gain next year pushes me to to the next level to be a very competitive Pro in 2014. Cheers for big things in the future.

12/4/12 - fsquat/cgbench & hammer
    Training#1 @ 430a

Close grip bench- 315x3, 315x2x2, 275x5 ... meh
    Front squat 370x5x3

pullups x5
    dips x10
    lying leg raises x10 x 3 rounds

Bench feels awful. Cheers to tanking my bench and increasing Fsquats simultaneously. Fuck it.

Training#2 # 645a

16# hammer
    *winds x6
    *full x22, best of 124

Feeling tired from squats, but thats no excuse. Just wasn't able to get lose and whippy, even when I got after it. The number of the day was 123ft for probably 12+ throws. Whatevs. On my next to last throw I realized I wasn't really focused on getting very long, rather was focusing on speed. Last rep decided to focus more on stretching out and increasing my orbit radius. Speed slowed down quite a bit but still went 123 with much less effort. Need to keep that in mind for tomorrow. Winter solstice coming up soon so hopefully will start getting light earlier and can get back to throwing at 615ish again.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Whats up Jake? Its been awhile. Training looks frickin killer as usual bro. Always impressed with your videos.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Oh hey Brian. Thanks for stopping by, I need to peek my head into more logs, just so pressed for time lately. Training is going very well, outside of bench.. but who the F cares about bench, amirite? haha. Thanks again boss!

Today's sesh:

12/5/12 - ppress/deads & hammer
    Training#1 @ 430a

Push press 265x5x2, 265x4+1
    Deads 550x5x3

Hammerstrength rows x10x3
    Db curl drop set .. wicked pump bro

Figured out I'm pressing just a tiny bit too wide on the push presses. Missed the 5th rep on the last set of push presses. Took belt off and decided to try again. Belted back up, readjusted my grip inwards (ring finger on rings) and smoked the last rep. About 45 seconds between the last attempt and going again. Deads felt good, also figured out an adjustment issue. First rep last few weeks has been absolutely killer. This morning figured out I'm probably 1" too far away from the bar when I begin my pull. 24hr fitness has octagon plates so I can't roll it into the position I want to start in and have to be more mindful. On the last set I stepped in just a tiny bit closer to the bar and smoked the rep and every one thereafter. Next week is 575x3 then benchmark week to see where I'm at. Hopefully have made some improvements.

Training#2 @ 645a

16# hammer
    *winds x5
    *full x26, best of 124'

Meh.. Was getting nice and long and kind of whippy, but just not attacking the finish like last week. Keeping slow to fast on my winds, however, I noticed that I'm catching my 3rd wind high, but catching the finish low and not getting a big pop. Now I know what the issue is between yesterday and today's hammers I can work on that. Think I might throw hammer tomorrow instead of stone/wfd since hammers are the focus right now. Also thinking of extending hammer focus out until my deload at Christmas then swapping to stones during the deload and after first of the year. Might just work a lot of 85% reps tomorrow with a handful of big ones to dial in the movement a bit better. Timing is certainly an issue, but if I applying force at the wrong times then speeding it up is just going to make it go downhill which is whats happening now. I need to be consistant at 135+ if I want to be competitive.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

12/6/12 - cleans/bsquat & hammer

Training#1 @ 430a

Hang cleans up to 225 x a couple singles, drop to 135 and work tech
    Back squat - 455x4, 455x3, 455x2
    12" box step ups - 225x8x3

womp womp wommmmmp.. just wasn't in it today. WIM approaching record low levels. The 3rd day in a row caught up with me. Probably could have ground out 5 for the first 2 sets and maybe 3 or 4 on the last but just feeling run down this week. Going to rest tomorrow, throw saturday and rest sunday. Heavy triples next week.

Training#2 @ 7a

16# hammer
    *winds x3
    *full x20, best of 122

Good practice despite the lack of energy and overall "give-a-fuck" of the prior weight session. Just wanted to keep it slow and work the finish specifically so the effort level wasn't very significant. I've got a bad habit of hitting the finish early. I drive the weight down to my right side and GO GO GO so it comes out way off to the right and ends up being pretty flat as well. Focused on getting long and whippy but trying to catch it very high and add speed on the way down before the finish. These were about 20% successfull. Last few throws I tried something else using the mental cue of "scooping" the hammer. Instead of focusing on driving the hammer down, I focused on catching it high, sinking my hips, pushing it away from me (to my right) then "scooping" or dragging the hammer all the way across my body and finishing big. I've been told to drag the finish before but the word "scoop" worked much better than the word "drag" for some reason. Whatevs... it worked pretty well. Going to play with it some more next week then increase speed again. Looking forward to saturday.

Video
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I dunno how an old man like you survives training twice a day lol. I know it would kill me that's for damn sure.

lol, thanks Nick. You could look at it as just one really long workout with a short drive in the middle. I hit the weights at 430am and am finish around 6ish. Then I drive to the field right after, wait for the sun to start peeking up and start throwing. Luckily winter solstice will hit very soon and it'll start getting light again sooner, then I'll have more time to throw. Looking forward to that.

update:

12/8/12 - wfd/stone/hammer

Training @ 7a

56# wfd
    *one turn x5-6, best of 42
    *full x6-8, best of 45

28# wfd x 10-12, best of 82

One turns felt good, lots of pop for the finish. Fulls felt really good. Didn't crush any of them, just hitting positions and looking for a big lift at the end. Looking forward to getting after this real soon. Lwd was frustrating me. Kept throwing very flat and didn't even realize it. Lots and lots of 77s and 78s with a couple at 80. Realized I had absolutely no lift at the end and a flat orbit throughout. Fixed that on my last couple throws and dropped one at 80 and 82. Satisfied for now. In February I'll dedicate some serious time to the weights, specifically the 28#er and hopefully I'll see some good progress.

15.5# stone
    *stand x 5-6, best of 46ft
    *full spin x7-8, best of 48ft

Meh.. standings feeling really good. Nice pop and pushing out over the trig. Spins still way off. Going to be spending a lot of time with these in January trying to get a nice and smooth transition. When I do a 180 drill I'm able to keep my right turning and get my left all the way around into a good power position, but when I do the full spins my left leg stops short and I don't get my hip all the way through. Lots of work to do.

16# hammer
    *winds x3-4
    *full x8-10, best of 131

Good tosses here. Started off in the high 1-teens and went up from there, adding a bit of effort with every throw. Called it quits at 131.

Overall good session. Feeling like I need a deload. One week of 3s which, personally, are easier than 5s despite being heavier. Then a max out week and I'm home free for a week of doing nothing. Can't wait, haha.

Video

12/10/12 - fsquat/cgpress & hammer

Training#1 @ 440a

Front squat 385x3x3
    Close grip bench up to 330x1
    GMs 225x10x2, 225x12

pullups x5
    dips x10
    x4 rounds

Cg press feeling very week. Whatevs.

Training#2 @ 645a

16# hammer
    *winds x5
    *full x26, best of 126

Not looking for anything big today. Trying to keep it all smooth and controlled. High 1-teens and low 120s. Worked on cleaning up my entry as it was kind of choppy before. Feeling very loose and whippy, despite being slow. Gassed a couple on the 3rd wind towards the end and hit the 126, then kept missing the finish and hitting too late. Need to keep thinking: push the hammer out to my right side, sink the hips and scoop it out into the field. My lower right side of my abs have been tender the last two times throwing hammer so I'm going to back off a bit this week. Instead of throwing hammer tomorrow, I'll throw stones tomorrow then weights wednesday and hammer thursday. Going to stretch and heat as well. I'd really like to go 135 by the end of next week, but I'll be happy for now just being consistant at 130. After next week the training focus moves to stones until february.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season