The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: road to pro..

12/11/12 - ppress/deads & wfd

Training#1 @ 430a

Push press 275x3x3
    Deadlift 575x3x3
    DB rows 105x10, 125x10, 150x10

M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E. PPress and rows felt as good as they could. Didn't struggle with any of the push press reps and the 150# rows weren't easy but weren't hard either. The deads were stupid. Every rep was a grinder. I'm feeling very weak, borderline overtrained right now. Getting little tweaks here and there are confirming it as well. Right tricep has been very very stiff last few days, left knee very achy, minor abdominal strain, and both shoulders feeling stiff. One more week then a sweet deload with lots of stretching and rolling.

Training#2 @ 7a

56# wfd
    *one turn x8-10, best of 38
    *full x8-10, best of 41

Was actually on the field at 630, but it didn't lighten up until almost 7am. Very annoying. Was also goddamn cold this morning, something I'm definitely not used to. Low 40s make it very tough to "warm-up". Took me about an hour before I was actually feeling good and hitting good positions. The downside was that I was exhausted by then and only had about 15 more minutes to throw before I had to get to work. Tomorrow I'm not training weights in the morning so I'll get to the field early and do a few laps and some dynamic stuff to warmup. Will dress warmer too so it takes less throws to get everything moving right. Going to throw weights again tomorrow and try to spend some time with the 28 after some one turns and fulls to warmup with the 56. Fun. Hammers thursday.

Need to start ingesting more protein. Recovery feels pretty blegh lately.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Always a solid work ethic Jake!! Lots of work being done, double sessions is insane
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

I pretty much always hit 1 gram per pound of bodyweight minimum, but I swear I feel better when I make an effort to eat more protein.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quite the ambitious one bro, props.

thanks fellas..

The double sessions aren't bad in the "lighter" weeks. As things get heavier and closer to my max it gets tougher and tougher to get out on the field afterwards. It would be ideal to throw first, then go hit the weights, however, I need daylight to throw and it's not light until 7am. I need to be to work by 830a. Meh.. got to make do with what I can. Sometimes I have no idea where I get the energy from, other days it shows a lot in my 2nd session.

Yeah Nick, I don't feel any benefit above 1g/lb but I think it has a lot to do with my training volume. A few weeks ago I was fine at about 180-200g protein/day. Right now I feel like I need 225-250ish. I can't cite studies or whatnot, but I feel like the closer I get to max poundages the more protein I need. Also been running a pretty dirty diet lately so going to start carb cycling again and cleaning things up. Body runs better with clean fuel. Its just so much work to keep it clean. Seems like the dirty shit is just at your fingertips. haha.

Thanks Terry
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

12/13/12 - cleans/bsquat & hammer

Training#1 @ 430a

Hang cleans up to 225x3x3, attempted 275 and missed
    Back squat 475x3x3
    Snatch pulls 225x3x3

12" step ups 135x8, 225x8x2
    BB shrugs 315x20, 405x10x2
    DB curls 35x10, 50x10/40/30/20x10 drop set

sup, bro? You going to use that mirror? didn't think so

side note: squats felt awesome. missed the 275 clean because I'm trying to be less sloppy with the catch. No feet splay, little knee bend, high bump, etc. Tech isn't there yet and my bump was off so the 275 didn't go.

Training#2 @ 7a

16# hammer
    *winds x5
    *full x24, best of 121

Taking it real easy. Ab feeling good, just working on positions and engraining the muscle patterns. Set a cone at 110 and was trying to get it past the cone with as little effort as possible. Sped up the last 2-3 and was high 1-teens mainly with that one at 121. Pretty tired as this week was rough. Took yesterday off to rest up for squats today. Timing was off when I sped up the hammers so was losing them off to the left, way late. Going to push it a bit more on saturday when I get warmed up. Still making progress. Next week is last week of hammers before deloading and moving on to a focus on stones. Will take about 1/2 the reps at 80ish% next week and work up to some 100% tosses to work on timing.
    Last edited by JSully; 12-14-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I though feet splay was ok for the clean? Like..I start in a narrow, natural jump position then end up pretty much in my regular squat position.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Splay to a squat position is fine, but typically you see people splaying their feet really wide. I used to have a bad habit of this and it comes back easily as the weight goes up. I'm trying to pull the weight as high as possible as it carries over to my throwing more that way. A good high bump and powerful pull is what I'm looking for. Pretty much a good oly style tech, but without dropping under the bar.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

12/17/12 - fsquat/incline press

Benchmark week

Training @ 430a

Front squat up to 475x1
    Narrow grip incline press up to 315x1, miss at 335
    BW pullups x5x4

Lots of rest time between sets and minimal accessory work. Maxing this week to determine new %s for my next block. Goal was to hit 455 on fronts and ended up smoking it. Got psyched up and killed 475 after. Didn't want to get greedy so I shut it down there. I wanted 365 on incline press but will have to settle for 315. I was unexpecting how much the triceps were going to come into play on the narrow grip (note: not close grip) incline presses. Definately going to stick with this, might have finally found a really good tricep exercise. Close grip flat bench just wasn't hitting it the way I wanted to. Missed 335 so whatevs.

Rainy all weekend so couldn't throw on Saturday and field is still very soggy so didn't throw this morning. Tomorrow = push press, deads & hammer. Looking forward to it.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Wow dude, great workout!

thanks big guy..

less than stellar performance today:

12/18/12 - benchmark ppress/deads

Benchmark Week

Training @ 430a

Push press up to 315x1, miss at 335
    Deads up to 605x1 on 3rd attempt, 585x1, 495x1

Shitty session. Made a 10lb increase from push press from last benchmark, but was really looking for that 335. Next time. Deads were miserable. 545 flew off the floor then I missed my first two attempts at 605. I realized that I'm way out front and my positions are off. Pulled the bar in closer and nailed it on the 3rd attempt. I've realized that the touch-and-go deads I've been doing for the last 7 weeks or so have killed my power off the floor. Will be going back to full resets between reps and that should have things fixed up rather quickly.

No throws today, field is still really soggy. Honestly though, it's nice to take a break from throwing. Complete deload next week, very anxious. Only a couple throws sessions and a max squat stand in the way. Taking all next week off from work as well, lots of family time. Awesome.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

a wise man once told me that dips are squats for the upper body. I really like that analogy. Going to start hammering them. I need to get my shoulders and triceps up to par.

12/20/12 - benchmark back squat & hammers

Benchmark week

Training#1 @ 430a

Back squat up to 545x1, miss 565
    Ring dips 6 sets 4
    Hang power cleans up to 225x3

545 back squat felt good, tough but good. I didn't know if 565 was in the tank or not but I went for it anyway. I got about 4" out of the hole and dumped it as I knew it wasn't going to go anywhere and didn't want to risk an injury trying to grind out a no brainer. 20# increase from last squat max is respectable, but not where I really wanted to be. I'll take it though, just push myself harder on the next block. Really excited to deload next week as I'm feeling pretty beat up. Dips felt solid, definitely need to get used to this. I've had some bicep/shoulder/pec issues this year and I think that is from the lack of stability excercises. Ring dips really hit some stabilizers that nothing else does so I've decided to do those instead of regular dips. I would hit a triple real fast, then on the 4th rep do a 5 count over 4 different positions during the descent, then hold the top position for 10 seconds before getting off the rings. Triceps and pecs are screaming, I like it. Power cleans felt good. Getting a better, smoother bump. Moved my hands out about 1.5" and am getting a good 2nd pull right at my pelvic bone. Focus next cycle will be power snatches and clean pulls on squat day.

Training#2 @ 715a

16# hammer
    *winds x4
    *full x24-28, best of 130'

41 degrees out this morning, makes it tough to loosen up. Couple that with the heavy squats and overall grueling week in the gym and I'm pretty stiff. For the first 6-8 I focused on getting the hammer out to 110ft as effortlessly as possible. Just hitting positions and so forth. Next 6 I focused on getting 120ft as easily as possible. Sped up the 3rd wind and was focusing on a good finish. Timing was off. These were going 115-125ish, but consistent here. The last 10-12 were full bore with focus on timing and a big finish. Took a few out at 118 and that was frustrating as the timing was WAY off on the finish (late). After getting back in my head I was hitting it right and was 125-128 for a lot of throws. Hit 130 on the last throw of the day. I wanted 130 earlier so I could take a couple more, but ran out of time and had to get to work. Winter solstice starts tomorrow (as well as the end of the world) so it'll start getting light out sooner. Wasn't able to throw yesterday once again because of the rain so was happy I got to throw today. Haven't touched a hammer since Last thursday and still went 130 today. Focus on hammer was to catch it very high on the 3rd wind, push the hammer off to my right as I'm sinking my hips, then drag the hammer through its low point turning into the finish to lift the hammer. Lots more reps needed, but it's coming together.

Video
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Only pussies dump grinders.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

lol.. I wouldn't call it a grinder, that shit wasn't budging.. haha
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

12/21/12 - end of the world hammers

Training @ 715a

16# hammer
    *winds x 5
    *full x 35-40, best of 119

Spent some extra time on hammers today. Was originally just going to do a few then move onto braemar and wfd. Kind of bummed I didn't do that but I'm satisfied with todays hammer session. Original plan was to go 4 reps at 110, 4 reps at 120 then kill it. Well I went 4 at 110, then gassed it up and couldn't break 118. Positions fell apart and kept missing the finish very late which led into a 8-10 rep streak of terrible. Needless to say, I got frustrated and this kept me throwing hammers (instead of stepping away like I probably should have). I took a step back for a minute and thought about what was going on. I knew that everything was flat and I just wasn't getting a pop for the finish. I've also noticed that my big throws end up kind of flat even when I do hit the timing on the finish, there's just no pop/lift. So I slowed WAAAAY down. Just focused on relaxing, getting long and getting a higher angle on my orbit. It started coming together again but I was already pretty fatigued from this training week. Took about 15-20 throws very easily working on setting my orbit angle on my first wind. I found that if my orbit angle was good, my timing on the finish ended up being good. The flatter the orbit, the later I'd finish. Possibly because the higher angle let me stay off to my right more whereas the flatter orbit made me drift left? hmm, dunno for sure. Hit the gas on the last 4-5 throws and still couldn't get to 120, just nothing in the tank. Out of all the throws at least 25 of them were 110+. Solid ending for the week.

So it's now 5 hours later and it hurts to breathe. My mid section is incredibly sore and stiff. I'm pretty tired and beat up. Time to eat lots, sleep lots and only think about training. Hoping to throw wednesday and friday next week, but will play it by ear. Focus changes to stones after this deload. Thinking wednesday I'll throw braemar, wfd and hammer then stones and wfd on friday.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

You definitely need a break. Just eat nonstop until 2013..lol

Your "shitty session" up there is my dream session..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

love the 315 push press and 475 front squat man
    2000 or bust

Merry Christma an Happy New Year mate. Hope that the deload and big eating has charged the batteries mate.
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

lol, thanks Pat.. the break was fantastic, feeling very rested

thanks stump.. the front squat is coming along very nicely, at the expense of my deadlift I'm afraid. Push Press isn't where it should be, but it's coming back up.

thanks HJP, sitting at about 283 right now.. put on some holiday pounds for sure. Got to tighten up the cals now and get back down in the low 270s / high 260s

training update, back at it on 12/31

12/31/12 - fsquat/bench

Training @ 430a

Fsquat 370x5x2, 370x6
    Narrow grip flat bench 290x5x2, 290x8

Gms
    Incline db bench
    Dips
    Pull-ups

Rained last night, too sloppy to throw. Annoying. First day back after the deload, felt really good to get back in there. Took my time through all of it. Everything felt good.

Got family pics done last week. Came out great. Baby is 37 weeks and counting. Very soon, getting excited.

1/2/13 - ppress/deads & stone/wfd

Training#1 @ 430a

Ppress 255x5x2, 255x7
    Deads 505x5x2, 505x7

30" box jumps
    Seated db ohp
    Bb rows
    Db rows

Good sesh. Pretty wrecked from Monday but you'll have that. Think I might start pulling from a 2" deficit again as it seems I've lost a good amount of leg drive breaking the weight off the floor. I'll play with it next week and decide then. Ppress felt solid.

Training#2 @ 715a

15.5# stone
    *standing x8
    *full spin x10

Not terrible. First time throwing stones in close to 3 weeks. Working on getting my left around fast enough to snap my right into position for the finish (right knee forward, left loaded for a big block). Also trying to hold my upper body for longer. Still need to get my left around more heel/toe-ish rather than straight on as to open the hips better. No big throws just sweeping the dust off. Stones will be the focus for the next few weeks.

56# wfd
    *one turn x6
    *full x10, best of 44

First time throwing wfd in a while too. Felt good to get out there, though the positions took a while to hit. Never really got a hold of any of the one turns. Towards the end of the fulls I was getting there but still missing the drive to zero at the finish. Need to get lower and more lift at the end. No worries, easy fixes now that I'm back into it again.

Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

little training update:

1/4/12 - wfd

Training @ 7a

56# wfd
    *one turn x12
    *full x 12, best of 44 with majority at 40 & low 41s

28# wfd x12, best of 79 with majority at 77s

Nothing big here, just getting the reps in so it feels smooth and natural again. Working on leaning to my right and sinking for a longer finish. Very little pop on these, feeling pretty beat up from the week. Lwd #s are unacceptable. If I want to be competitive, I need to be a guaranteed 85ft every time. Going to start spending a lot more reps on lwd in the near future. Need to sync up my timing. My drive to zero and sprint phase of the lwd throw is great but when I get to the front, the weight is moving so fast I'm actually slowing it down to hit the positions and I lose so much speed. It's very noticeable. Also, I notice the low point drifting off my right side out of the back and it is shortening up my sprint/finish. I hadn't caught this and must have slowly gotten back into this bad habit. An easy fix since I know what to do so I should have that under control. I definitely feel that is hurting my lwd numbers much more than my hwd #s.

Video

1/5/12 - hammers & clinic

Training @ 7a

16# hammer
    *winds x5
    *full x20

14# hammer x8

Working on a nice, slow, smooth entry and guiding the ball to its low point off my right side. From there, trying to drag the ball across me. If I nail the entry and first wind, I get incredibly whippy and can improve speed really well. If my first wind is off, everything goes down the shitter. The other thing is the finish. Once again, I'm going way early. This tells me I'm not dragging thorugh the low point and posting off my left leg. I know what to do so that's the good news. Still more work to do.

Had the clinic afterwards and was a great success. Lots of good throwers showed up and I genuinely hope they took something away from the clinic. I feel I was able to help everyone in at least 1 area of every implement. We didn't use a tape measure so I don't know if anybody hit PRs or not. I do know that by the time we were done, their positions looked incredibly better. It is now up to them to practice and drill so they can bring it out on the field with them. I threw ***A LOT*** as well since I was demonstrating. Feeling very very very beat up. Had a great time with great people and made a few bucks to put towards traveling to games this year. I'm thankful for all of that.

1/7/12 - me fsquat/de bench

Training @ 430a

Front squat (w/ JS choked avg bands) up to 405x1, 315x2
    Narrow grip bench (w/ EFS doubled mini bands) 135x3x3, 145x3x3, 155x3x3

GMs
    Pullups
    DB incline bench
    Dips against mini bands

Feeling incredibly stiff this morning from throwing so much at the clinic. Compounded by not throwing hammer for 2 weeks then taking 50+ throws through the course of the day. Feeling overall beat up so I opted to lower the bar weight and utilize my avg bands for some top end work. At about 365 I realized I couldn't breathe with the bar on my shoulders/throat with the bands attached, that made it incredibly difficult to make the weight, although 365 really didn't feel too bad. Moved up to 405 and felt like a train on my front delts. Came out of the hole fast but hit a wall just as fast. Pushed through the band tension and while I was locking it out I started to black out. Hurried up and racked it after lock out and stood there for a minute while everything came back. Very weird, need to figure out a different breathing pattern if I'm going to do more of these. I dropped down to 315 for a set of 6-8 and after the 2nd rep I was getting very lightheaded again. The added tension at the top of the front squat is much different than just bar weight and makes it very tough to get a breath. Maybe I'm just being a pussy, that's entirely possibly.

Speed bench was pretty fun, really the only type of flat benching I enjoy. Db incline was good, though stabilizers are still catching up as the 125s felt wobbly. Was going to go throw stones this morning but it was FFFFFing cold and I just didn't feel like it. Tomorrow's another day: speed deads & heavy push press then no skipping stones.
    Last edited by JSully; 01-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

1/8/12 - me ohp/de deadlift & stones

Training#1 @ 5a

Push press up to 325x1, 275x6
    2" deficit deads (w/ EFS short avg bands) 315x2x8

seated db ohp
    machine rows

Satisfied with the push presses. Not a pr but an improvement since last time and that's what I'm looking for. I'd really like to push this much higher over the next 3 months. Deads felt solid. Speed wasn't terrible but definitely not great either.

Video

Training#2 @ 715a

15.5# stone
    *standing x10
    *full spin x12

Few things differently on both styles. On standing tosses I focused on really pushing my right knee in hard to separate as hard as possible. Also delayed my left arm just a little bit to get better separation. Best was about 42ft without a reverse and going about 80% so it felt good. Trying to get hips square to the trig while keeping my upper body back as far as possible. On full spin, really focusing on the middle transition and finishing by driving my right knee forward into my left side block. I think I made some progress today but will have a couple experts review. On the ostone biggest difference I did was instead of turning my knee in (towards 9:00) and sweeping my whole leg across my body as if I were going to side kick someone, I instead drove forward and pushed the inside of my knee/groin area across my body so that my foot would land facing 11:00. It obviously didn't, but the mental cue I think worked. From there I could get my foot turning and focus more on driving my right knee to the trig and into my block. Still far from great but I'll take even the smallest of improvement. Hit a couple 46s without much effort, just really trying to separate and get a long push on the stone.

Video
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

1/9/12 - wfd

Training @ 7a

56# wfd
    *one turn x12, best of 40
    *full x12, 43

49# wfd x10, 48

56# wfd x3, 42

28# wfd, 80

First off, Landrich's 49# wfd is awesome. It's the same feel as a 56 but unnoticeably (yet somehow noticeably) lighter. I really liked this. Found it was easier to hit positions, yet still had the same weight and "drag" a 56 would have. I noticed on my fulls that my orbit angle was lop-sided with the left side (if looking from behind out towards the field) drooping down below the right side. I know this is affecting not only my sprint but my finish. This was absolutely simple to fix with the 49lb weight. I was just kind of spinning around in a circle for my first turn and that was keeping the whole right side of the orbit a bit lower than the left. Fixed it by counting a bit harder with my left shoulder coming out of the back into the first turn. That raised up the weight on the right side which carried through the entire throw. Noticeable difference as soon as I did it. Dropped one at 48 and another at 47 and went back to the 56# for a couple tosses. First was high 42ft then a couple at 41ish as by then I was getting very very tired. Avg was about 76-77 with the lwd, was just missing a pop for the finish. Killed it on my last one and was just shy of 81. I need to make 85 work all day long. Still more work with the lwd needed. Going to start dialing back my hwd and increasing lwd volume.

Squats and hammers tomorrow. Yess!!!

Video
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Totally impressive push press vid, other vids are great as well - big Jake having fun out there, lol.

Most of all, great family shots...obviously being well blessed bro!!

thanks Terry.. God is good in our lives, that's for sure. Appreciate the drop by.

1/10/13 - me back squat/snatch & hammers

Training#1 @ 430a

Pause back squat up to 500x1, 405x5
    Hang snatch up to 225x1, 185x3

done. lulz.

205 snatch felt great. No leg splay, little dip, good strong pull. 225 snatch felt pretty shotty. Got it to my forehead and pressed it out. Worked on keeping wrists curled in a little and that helped keep the bar path closer.

depth check on 500 pause squat? lol

Video

Training#2 @ 715a

16# hammer
    *winds x4
    *full x12ish, best of 124

12# hammer x8ish, best of 128

First 6ish throws went really well. Low effort, focus on being loose, long and whippy. Started getting after it and just hit a wall. Got incredibly hungry, didn't have any water with me and just overall felt like shit. Kept going and just dialed back the effort level again focusing on tech. Still not driving my right knee hard enough. Need to get smoother. Took video but I look like ass so I just deleted it. haha.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Looking exceptional with the 500 pause squats, props!!