Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: road to pro..

That ottoman flip was awesome! LOL. I liked the gun show at the end too.

Man pretty much every tendon in my legs pops every day. It's been that way since I was 13. Maybe 5 times I've squatted down wrong or shifted position while squatting (not barbell squats, just everyday squatting or getting up the wrong way) and I felt a pop hard enough to make me yelp. After that it would ache and feel stiff yet loose, just like you described, for 2-3 weeks. I had an MRI and a top tier orthopedist said I just have tight tendons and they snap back in place abnormally hard. No damage whatsoever. I've finally figured out how to avoid doing it.

Sounds just like what you described but if you're concerned, get the MRI.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Yeah mine have popped for years and years. This was a "new" pop within the last couple months. No pain though.. then it stopped popping and started hurting. Feels much better now and much more stable but every once in a while I can pivot on it and it lets me know it's not 100%.

Thanks fellas..

update time:

2/16/13 - wob

Training @ 1145a

56# wob
    14 x3/5
    15 x6-8ish
    16 x4/6 with plenty to spare.

First time throwing wob since the Tucson games in early November. Definitely some rust in there. The first attempt at 14ft missed and missed bad. I was like... wtf? So I took a step back, thought about it and took a "normal" pull. Cleared easy but didn't feel a long pull. Despite not practicing wob, I have watched a lot of wob video over the offseason. I took a video of myself and compared and I wasn't getting a good "scoop". So I decided to keep my "cast" short, keep my legs bent and loaded, then as the weight started moving behind me, straighten my legs, then drop and pull.. Tried this a few times and the weight kinked up. Cleared the heghts but was pretty meh. Tried a rep with completely straight legs, pushed the weight behind me, dropped and popped and while it was a bigger pull, it still wasn't scooping. So decided to try a hybrid of the two. Kept my legs bent and loaded, slow cast, just as the weight goes between my legs I follow it back, push it back a bit more, then drop and start pulling. Felt a huge scoop. Felt like the weight wanted to come out of my hands in front of me. By now I was at 15ft and it cleared by a lot. I wasn't even going to try 15ft but I wanted to see if I could come close. Killed it on the first rep. Missed the second. Killed the 3rd, missed the 4th and the rest were easy. On the last one my wife said it cleared by an easy 6". Didn't want to push th envelope so I shut it down there. Good day for wob. Going to give it a shot next weekend too. I'd really like to go 16'6 or 17' standing, but I need to start practicing the spin as well, you know, just in case.

2/18/13 - de fsquat, me bench & stone/wfd

Training#1 @ 530a

Front squat (against choked efs mm bands) 225x2x5, 275x2x5
    3brd press up to 385x2

GMs 225x8x3
    Pullups 5x5
    Ring dips 5 sets to failure

Good session. Didn't feel snappy on the front squats but didn't feel slow either. The bands tend to make me feel a little more beat up than usual. But good nonetheless. Going to work my 3 boards differently next time. I really liked the tricep activation in the 3 boards, however, with the 385 set I smashed my mouth pretty good with the board. No bueno when you're holding 385lbs over your head. Ugh. Dips getting easier, good. Once I can bang out sets of 10 with no problem I'll add in a dip belt.

Decided I need more pullup and dip work so lat on in the week I'm going to do a metcon consisting of jump rope + pullups + ring dips. I figure this will give me a little better conditioning training as well as get in some additional reps with the pullups and ring dips. I like this idea.

Video

Training#2 @ 2p

17# stone
    *standing x8, best 43ft
    *full spin x11, best 48ft

Good toss with the 17 but I'm opening up early again. Watched A LOT of Randy Barnes shotput vid and noticed how fluid he is on the spin. Also noticed how he slams his right foot down. Watched videos and I can see how I just "land" on my right foot then spin. He gets his right down fast and brings his left around even faster. The weight transfer onto the left leg is immediate and he's got a huge block. I like this. Did some footwork drills later in the day but I'm going to give this a shot next time I'm throwing stone. Also noticed in this session I wasn't holding my upper body back like last week. Need to work on that more still, obv.

49# wfd
    *one turn x6
    *full x8

28# wfd x12, avg 77, best 79

I don't remember the distances on the 49 but wfd was not my day. I just felt disconnected. Truthfully, the tech wasn't off. I was just tight, slow and not much energy instead of loose and snappy. Will throw both again later this week so no worries.

2/19/13 - me deadlift/de ohp & wfd

Training#1 @ 515a

Log press from the rack up to 290x1x2, miss 310.
    5" block pulls up to 655x1, miss 705

Called it there, wasn't in the mood for rows. Pissed something off my right left shoulder with the log. I'm not going to be power jerking it anymore. Its just not a usual movement for me and I could feel it jamming into my left shoulder with every rep. If I can't press it out, I can't get the lift. I don't really care about log press anyways. Hopefully this shoulder thing heals up pretty fast. It's my left shoulder so no real issues. I just hope I can still press, dip and pullup without pain. Last year's supraspinatus issue in my right shoulder lasted 4 months. So far it doesn't hurt doing any of those movements, it's just stiff and I can live with that. The 655 pull went up well so I really thought 705 would be in there, which was going to be a big pr. If I had known I wouldn't even come close I wouldn't have gone for it and just would've put 675 or so on the bar. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Talked to a few guys and it looks like a possible hamstring weakness so I'm going to up the weight on GMs on fsquat day and add some RDLs after pulls on deadlift day.

Video

Training#2 @ 1215p

49# wfd
    *one turn x8-10, avg 45ft, best 46ft
    *full x6-8, avg 47ft, best 50ft

28# wfd x6, avg 82, best 85, only 2 under 80

Good wfd session. A good makeup from yesterday. Felt much more relaxed. Wasn't out to hit any specific numbers. With the 49 was just focused on getting a good position for the finish and getting as long as I could. Focused on the drive to zero and accellerating through the low point. Kept my sprint to a minimum and just worked the finish. Gradually increased sprint effort. Same with the lwd. Really focused on keeping my right arm relaxed. Noticed with the 49 and 28 that when I hit the right position and stay loose enough, I can feel my whole arm stretch and get very tight as I'm driving the ball and accellerating through the low point. This is the feeling I kept shooting for. Also noticed I'm sprinting a little too early and I'm finishing out a little to the right side which means I'm losing power that could be put into the implement. Overall a great practice. Really looking forward to throwing this again. I need to get in the habit of just relaxing and getting that long/loose right arm feeling.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

2/21/13 - de squat/snatches

Training @ 515a

Hang snatches 135x3x5
    16" heels up box squat 225x2x3, 275x2x3, 315x2x3

12" step ups 135x10x3
    EFS short avg band shrugs 3x20
    EFS long mini band hammer curls 3x20

100 jump rope + 10 ring rows x 3 rounds

Still getting up later than I want, need to get back on top of this. Squats felt good, slow off the box but about 2-3" higher everything engages and I fly up. This height is definitely a weak spot for me so I'm going to keep working it. I like the heels up as it hits my quads and calves a bit better and I can see how it can relate to throwing. The small conditioning circut at the end felt good. Not too hard but not easy. Def got my breathing hard. Respiratory conditioning is WAAAYYY behind my musuclar endurance so I'm going to try to work this. Skipped rows when I did pulls the other day so this kind of makes up for it. Shoulder feeling better but still some pain when my arm is behind me. Snatches felt good, no issues at all. Only felt the shoulder during the workout on the step ups, when my grip was in a little closer and the bar would push my arm down a little bit on the descent of the step up. Overall not an issue and I foresee it healing pretty quickly. Rained a lot yesterday so the field is soaked today. Hammers tomorrow then a strongman training session on Saturday.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

2/22/13 - hammers

Training @ 1p

*hammers

16# hammer x2
    22/16/16 x7 rounds, best 22=107, best 16=134

Hammers went fairly well. I'm pretty tired today, despite not training this morning. Got up at 345 and headed into work early since we've been really slammed. Took a few winds to warmup and then took two with the 16 to warmup with throws. Those went 115 and 118 respectively which I was happy about. Today was really focusing on the finish. Really pulling my right elbow down to accellerate the ball through the low point on the finish. On the ones I got REALLY anxious, I ended up losing width on my orbit and despite good throws, they could've been better had I stayed long and wide and really "scooped" the hammer for the finish. Got to keep working on this at a higher speed. With sub-max speeds I can really nail this but as I get closer to 100% it gets tougher and tougher. Regardless, had a very good hammer day. Only 2 heavy hammers under 100 and avg 103-104. Once I picked up the sauce on the 16s I was averaging about 131. A couple 128s, a 127, two 132s, two 131s and a 134. Getting more confident with these. Need to throw the 22 more as it feels very sluggish. Looking forward to next hammer day.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

2/23/13 - strongman training

Training @ 8a

10" log press up to 291x1
    Trap bar deadlift up to 645x1, miss at 735, 645x1
    200lb keg + 250lb sandbag x80ft x1 round

Was iffy about my shoulder with the log press but kept it nice and warm and really focused on a big leg drive to get it up over my head before letting my arms/shoulders take over. Felt good and 291 felt easy. Trap bar deadlift was fun but I don't like it as much as a regular bar and I felt it was harder. Meh. I got the 735 about an inch or so off the floor and gave up on it, though I didn't even know I broke the floor which is why I gave up in the first place. Whatevs. Was supposed to be 3 rounds with the mini-medley but another guy broke my sandbag so we had to call it there. Some other guys were doing the yoke and farmers medley but I didn't care to do it since I'm skipping that event anyways.

Did a bunch of pullups and attempted bar muscle ups but split my hand open and called it quits. Overall a fun day. I'm ready for the strongman, it should be pretty fun.

2/25/13 - me fsquat/de bench & wfd

Training #1 @ 5a

Back squat triples up to 475x3
    Bench against doubled EFS mini bands 155x3x3, 185x3x6

Pullups 3x5
    Ring dips 3x5
    Band push downs 2x25

Today was supposed to be heavy front squats but I've skipped heavy back squats for the last few weeks for some uknown reason. With the strongman coming up on saturday I don't want to squat heavy too close to competition so I just back squatted today and that'll be the extent of my squatting this week. Will do a deload type of session on wednesday then just throw thursday and friday while resting up for Saturday. Was really looking for 495 for a triple and was confident for a double but didn't want to chance missing the triple. No worries. Completely forgot about GMs, lol. I'll do some rdls tomorrow after my speed pulls. Bench went well, kept it light and fast. I forgot how much I like benching against the mini-bands. MMs are a little excessive for me on bench so I'll stick with the minis. Pullups and dips felt good, just didn't feel like tons of sets. Wednesday or Thursday I'll do some more.

Training#2 @ 12p

49# wfd
    *1 turn x6
    *full x12

28# wfd x6

No tape measure today, just looking for positions, specifically the finish. Looking for a very long right arm and a good stretch as I'm driving to zero with a big pop for the finish. Stepped off my very last lwd throw and was 83 steps w/ 12.5 size shoe so I'm happy with that as it wasn't the farthest one out there. Will throw the 56 late next week. For now, sticking with the 49. I like how it's really helping me with speed and catching the weight at the front. Good stuff. Stones tomorrow.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

2/26/13 - me ohp/de pulls

Training @ 430a

Push press triples up to 295x3, 305x2
    Deadlift against efs short avg bands 315x1x10 then drop the bands 315x3x2

Band pull aparts
    Band face pulls
    RDLs 225x12x3

Good and bad day here. Got to try out my new spud deadlift belt, though, for overhead pressing not for deads. I really like how it's got the ring and velcro. Hit 275x3 betless then belted up for 295 on the ohp. Push presses felt strong and I was confident about 305 for a triple but gassed out hard halfway through the 3rd rep. Took a 2nd attempt at the 3rd rep and still missed it. Ugh. My ohp strength is annoyingly pathetic. Deads felt good but I could still feel how the bar was too far out front. Not sure how this happened because I didn't used to be like that. As such, I decided to play around with a new pull style similar to KK and Efferding. Put my toes uncomfortably pointing outwards, head down and balled up my hips. The first one felt like ass because I didn't drive my head back. Once I got that down then it felt amazing. Pushed my knees out against my arms, took tension off the bar and exploded. Didn't even feel my back activate. It felt very strong, going to play with this a bit more next week with some heavier weights.

Video

Training @ 1230a

17# stone
    *stand x8
    *spin x8-10

No tape measure today. On the standing tosses focused on getting a little more on my left leg before exploding. It's coming together, but still missing separation. I've got to really hold my upper body back to create that whip from the block. Still more work. Spins felt good. Been watching a lot of video of Randy Barnes and how fluid and effortless his spins look. A very nice, slow and relaxed turn out of the back then a very explosive and deliberate right leg that pulls the left around very fast. Still more work to do but I feel like it's coming together. Doing better at holding my upper body back but my lower body was slow today so I wasn't getting a good push on my right knee or a good whip. Stones again on Thursday.

Video
    Last edited by JSully; 02-27-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

2/27/13 - hammers

Training @ 1215p

16# hammer x2
    22# x4, avg 98, best 99
    16# x8, avg 125, best 128

Was a "meh" day. Took my warmup winds which actually felt really good, even the first two with the 16 felt good. The 22 felt M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E. Felt like it was 30lbs. Positions felt good, just felt like there was nothing inside driving it. 16s felt ok but even the ones that felt like they were moving, just weren't. Chalk it up to a hard past couple of days training and I'm just fatigued. Should probably up calories over the next couple days if I want to finish the week strong. Stones again tomorrow then wfd on Friday. Some light snatches and misc stuff tomorrow morning.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

2/28/13 - snatch/assistance & stones

Training#1 @ 515a

Power snatch singles up to 185x6sets
    Step ups 185x8x3
    strict BB rows 275x8x2
    a few pullups

*yawn* Not a big day here. Was focusing on tech on the snatches and time got away from me. Feeling run down. Two more training weeks and deload for Phx games. For the snatch I was told that I've got too much knee extension/quad activation from the floor to my knees. I need to have my shoulders farther out in front of the bar when it's at knee level. From there I keep my lats flexed and pull it into my hips for the bump. So, I need to allow my hips to come up a little faster and push my knees back instead of pushing them out. Snatch is a very fun lift for me so I'll be excited when it starts coming together.

Video

Training#2 @ 1230p

17# ostone x10-12

Unknown distance. Did probably 100+ spins with no stone, just working on timing and footwork. I've always felt like I was "reaching" with my right leg and I think I've gotten that fixed. I didn't know the entry was that huge of a part of the throw but after today I can see how it is. Out of the back I pivoted my left foot and shifted weight over. I tried to keep my right leg nice and long and relaxed and allowed my bodyweight to shift forward JUST a tad (as if I was shifting it back onto my heel with the glide). From there I kicked my right leg around for the rotation and pushed off of my left for the linear drive. Worked on getting my right down fast and it started coming together. Left leg would pull right leg into position and all I had to do was hold my upper body back. Didn't take many actual throws here but they were quality throws. Happy with this stone session and wish I had a tape as I know some of them were pretty darn good tosses. Throwing stones 3x next week so I'll work some more on these then. Need to get some Braemar work in as well. Blegh..

Video
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

3/2/13 - AZ Wildcat Strongman Challenge
    skipped training 3/1 as I was feeling pretty beat up and knew the strongman was going to require some energy.. Instead went to Jack in the Box and downed some ultimate cheeseburgers and tacos. Solid recovery meal. Firehouse subs for dinner. Nom nom nom..

onto the writeup for the Strongman challenge:

last man standing 12" log press- hit 300 pretty easy then missed 320 at lockout. The clean wasn't bad at all. I don't think I took a big enough breath before dipping down for my leg drive. It stopped about 2" above my head. I brought it back down and went for it again but my elbows had slipped down and I knew it was over. I think I tied for 5th in this event. Winner hit 340.

620 yoke / 250 farmers x50 ft medley - pass. Was good for 15th place in this event, lol.

32# crucifix hold - 47 seconds. I think I was 6th or 7th here. Very inconsistent judging. Lots of guys with bent arms. Hands above eye level, chains touching the floor, etc. Pretty annoying.

frame car deadlift (chevy cavalier at highest fulcrum point) - 21 reps. I think this was good for 8th? ugh. While I was starting to burn out, muscular endurance wasn't a big issue here. My respiratory endurance is shot. After 15 reps I was so gassed. Squeezed out another 5 then with 3 seconds left pulled one final rep. The weight wasn't really that heavy. Winner took 40 reps, then a couple guys at 36 reps and lots in the high 20s. IMO this is too much. This is a strongman, why are we doing this for 40 reps? Put a suburban on the frame next time. I'm not saying this thinking I would win. I'm saying this because 40 reps in a strongman is absurd.

110# bigg dogg strongg monster db press - 8 reps. I give mad props to the guys that control it on the descent and then just tap one edge off the floor before picking it back up. After about the 3rd rep I found the "sweet spot" on my shoulder and the reps got much easier to get leg drive and drop under. This is the 2nd time ever touching a monster db so it still feels very unnatural to me. I think this was good for 7th or 8th. Big winner went 15 reps with it. Lots in the 9-10 rep range.

OVERALL - 10th out of 15. Meh, I'm fine with that. I placed in the middle third while passing an event. Had a lot of fun and hung out with a lot of friends. No injuries and nothing to make my current injuries worse. I think skipping the yoke was a good idea as my knee is still tender (which is weird btw. It feels very stable now, but its just a little tender at certain times when I put weight on it). Looking forward to the next one. I've said this before and I'll say this again, I really need to dedicate some training time to one of these sometime and see how I fare.

Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Interesting deadlift style. You move that weight so easily it's hard for me to see what all is involved..lol

5/3/1 Journal

yeah it's tough to judge a new deadlift style without pulling heavy. I'm going to pull heavy and see how it feels.

3/4/13 - me bench/de squat & wfd

Training#1 @ 515a

3board press up to 385x2
    Incline bench 225x8, 245x8, 245x4
    Ring dips 3x5
    Band pushdowns 3x20

16" box squat with heels up- 225x2x3, 275x2x3, add choked jumpstretch avg bands 225x2x4
    Front squat 225x8, 315x3, 405x3

Had to skip out on the GMs and jump rope. My boy woke up about an hour early so the squats dragged longer since I was playing with him between sets. Board presses felt ok. Incline bench was miserable and the ring dips were tough. I will overcome these shotty triceps. Feeling a little run down after Saturday but it's not time to deload yet. Game face is on, Phx games are 18 days away. I can begin my deload in 15 days.

Training#2 @ 12p

56# wfd
    *1 turn x6, best 40, avg 38
    *full x8, best 42, avg 41

28# wfd x12, best 79, avg 77

Same as this morning, feeling run down. Felt strong on the full throws with the 56 and hit good positions. On the 28, my body was moving too slow. I couldn't stay ahead of the weight and couldn't muster up a good finish. Oh well, next time.

Heavy pulls tomorrow, goal is 605 for a double with my new pulling style. Excited.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

What's your max pull ever?

5/3/1 Journal