The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: road to pro..

how far can you throw 56lbs?

yep, another "road to" blahblahblah log.. I thought about digging up my old log, but my training is incredibly different these days. I am currently working towards going pro in the Highland Games. I'm currently ranked 9th in the country in amateurs and have a couple championship games coming up. I've come a long way in the last year and a half but I still have quite a bit to go. While "in season" or focusing on peaking for a Highland Games competition, I will not be training heavy at all. Only assistance, o-lifts and speed work. I'm going to get my hands on a Power Factor device shortly so I can see how fast my reps really are, then focus on going as hevay as possible while still hitting 1m/s.

This log will double as a food pr0n blog..

Here is my recent training beginning with this past sunday.

8/7/11 - throws

training
    14# stone x8 standing (best of 43'), x8 spin (best of 47')
    56# wfd x5-8, best of 36'
    28# wfd x5-8, best of 69'
    16# hammer x5-8, best of 118'
    56# wob x3-4 @ 13'

drove down to tucson to throw with Jason Barba and some of his crew. blegh, terrible session.. everything felt super tight and slow, not happy with this session. I sure hope he got more out of this than I did, haha..

8/8/11 - assistance + o-lift day

training
    12" bw box squats x about 10 sets of 5-8, working on form and explosion off the box
    clean grip hang snatch- up to 165x5x3
    hang clean- up to 255x5x3
    push press- 225x5x3
    bb rows- 315x8x3
    pullups- BWx10, x5

wanted to do some close grip pressing but didn't have enough time. took up too much time working on the box squats. focused on sitting far back and exploding off the box with my hips without rocking.. definitely felt the difference, need to start working this up so I can get that explosion out of the hole again.

went to a friends house for dinner, gnocci w/ steak and some extras, very tasty

8/9/11 - throws

training
    16# hammer x15-20
    16# stone, standing x10-15, spin x10-15

hammer went terrible, hips were too tight from the box squates yesterday, was able to get loose a couple times but hips were just too slow once I sped things up. Did get some quality reps in just going slow and hitting positions. stones felt pretty good, really able to get separated and deliver high, still need to work on getting more on my left before popping..

chicken parm for dinner, nom nom nom

8/10/11 - throws

training
    16# hammer x15-20
    53# wfd, single x5-8, double x10-15
    28# wfd x5-7

hammers felt much better.. did 5-8 nice and slow, then sped it up a little as time went on until it broke somewhere around 20 throws, didn't go over 80-90%. wfd felt pretty terrible at first then slowly got a bit better.. didn't focus on drilling like I should have as hwfd was getting frustration.. need more reps

8/11/11 - throws

training
    28# wfd, single x10, double x15
    16# stone, standing x8, spin x8

great session, was able to keep loose, slowed things down and hit positions. Watching the video I see there are a few things I need to work on. I need to get WAY lower for the weights.. I think my cast might be a bit off to my left too so I need to work on that. Please feel free to comment about what you think may need to be changed or worked on. Thanks!!

Video
    Last edited by chris mason; 12-10-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

here's a little ditty I took a couple weeks ago, last heavy workout before switching to the light speedy stuff for prep for my upcoming meet (sept 3rd & 4th).

Video
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Good to see you back around Jake.

I am not familiar with HG stuff but I know food and that was some tasty lookin' chicken.

Wish you the best going forward. Were'nt you and your wife expecting? Hope all is well.

I used to post as 'Flynn' by the way. Just in case you're think 'who the fuck is this guy?'
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

ah... yes Flynn.. I remember you, how you been bro?

Yes we were expecting. My boy is 8 months old now and growing like a weed. It's so awesome to watch him learn new things, he took to 2 steps yestrday. So awesome.

this pic was taken about 3 1/2 months ago at the Prescott Highland Games.... he's probably 3-5lbs heavier now, haha...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JSully; 08-12-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Nice work on the deficit pulls, it is good to see that you came back strong after the hamstring issues.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Doing well, man.

That is a fantastic picture. He'll be throwing very soon.

I have a 4yr old and a 19mth old. Time just flashes by.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Excellent father & son shot. Good luck with the HG comps, seeing you go pro would be awesome.

Garage Lifter
    excellent picture Jake, looks like things have been going well for you and yours. good luck in the upcoming shows
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

thanks guys

8/14/11 - throws

training
    nil

showed up to the park with my strongman and highland games gear.. Had my xterra loaded up to the gills with weight and gear. During the drive over, the weight had shifted. When I got out to start unloading, I opened my tailgate and a 45lb plate dropped from about chest level on my right foot, just at the base of my big and 2nd toe..

this.did.not.feel.good.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mvYnSL2Ykl...0/IMAG0336.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_6eGVblm2Q...0/IMAG0337.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aBwxKoO4Sv...0/IMAG0338.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2wlQggrFkh...0/IMAG0339.jpg

8/17/11 - assitance + o-lift day

training
    speed incline bench + dbl mini bands- 155x3x2, 165x3x6
    standing strict ohp- up to 225x5x3
    BW pullups- 8x8
    seated cable row- 300x8x3
    cgbp- 275x5x3

still a lot of pain on the foot, o-lifts were definitely out of the mind. Happy with the strict presses and pullups, keeping away from throwing this week to give time to heal.

8/18/11 - speed

training
    15" box squat- 95x alot x alot, 135 x alot x a few, 135x2x8 (for speed)
    deads for speed- 225x2x2, 315x2x6

spent a lot of time working on box squats, sitting back, contracting the glutes and firing the hips. started to really feel a pop off the box. i initially started with a 12" box but wasn't getting that pop so I went up. I'll work up in weight then drop the height down to 12" or lower. deads felt stupid easy, nice and snappy. foot felt better fsho, but not great.

8/20/11 - throws

training
    15# stone, standing & spin
    28# wfd, single & double spins
    56# wob, up to 15' & tapping @ 16'
    caber, picks & carries w/ 20' 160# stick

decent session.. unable to get explosive with the stone but overall a good day for technique. wfd just wasn't there, couldn't get any action from my drive leg, pain just too much. wob felt great, cleared 15' super super easy, then tapped the bar at 16' a couple times. wob felt good, the picks were pretty good and the carries were ok, but I couldn't get a good sprint without increasing pain so I stopped at 3-4 attempts. overall a productive day, very happy the foot is healing well.

8/23/11 - assist/o-lift day + throws

training
    oh squats- up to 135x3x2
    hip snatches- up to 185x3x3
    hang cleans- up to 225x3x3 & fail @ 275
    push jerks- up to an easy 225, fail @ 275
    pullups- BWx5x3
    bb rows- 275x8x3

throws
    16# stone, 10-15 standing, 10-15 spins

I'd like to do an oly meet next year so I need to spend some time learning the movements to be better at them. oh squats weren't too bad, but without oly shoes it's hard to really stay back on my heels without leaning too far forward. Hip snatches were easy, but I didn't catch them in a squat position.. worked hang cleans with nearly no dip. Everytime I got explosive with a good dip it really torqued down on my toe and hurt pretty bad, hence the fail @ 275. I was also trying to catch the clean oly style with elbows forward, rather than just a typical power clean. Push jerks are a bit new, but whenever I got a little dip, the weight got out in front of me.. Need a lot more practice, same issue with the 275, wasn't dipping enough and the pressure was making it hurt. I hate to sound like a whiny bitch, but that 45lb plate really f**ked me up.

stones went really well. able to get semi-explosive but again it was mainly just a technique day. I'm hoping to get after it on friday when I train everything. At the rate my foot is going, I think I'll be good to go for pleasanton and the MN ren fest.. starting to get pretty excited now!!

macros = 69f / 422c / 303p = 3532cals w/ approx 150g carbs pre workot & 75g carbs pre-throws
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Ouch!! - glad the foot has been healing up well.

thanks big guy, I threw yesterday and could still feel the pain. I'll get that log up later today or tomorrow.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Banned
    I know nothing about highland games, but what you are doing is pretty effin awesome.

9/3 & 9/4/11 Pleasanton Games

I'm going to skip the prior posts mainly because they are all just deload workouts working up to this. On friday 8/26/11 I straiend my left patellar tendon. I've been battling wrist issues as well as that dislocated/broken toe from the 45lb plate. On top of that, at some point during that week I rolled my ankle because now that is hurting and swollen... I'm falling apart.

Anyways, onto the P-ton writeup. My wife and I flew into San Francisco where it was a stunningly cold 59 degrees. We walked down a bunch of piers, caught a glipse of Alcatraz island through the thick fog, then drove over the Golden Gate Bridge, seeing absolutely nothing due to the heavy fog. About 3ish we headed to pleasanton, met up with Adam Brezina, chilled for a bit, picked up some grub and went to sleep.

We headed over to the field after breakfast, getting there at about 815a which was apparently too late. After checking in, getting my gear on and very quickly stretching, I got in about 3 warmup throws with the open stone and we were off.

Saturday's series was as follows:

16# open- 42'8' - 6th
    56# wfd- 33'9.5" - 5th
    16# hammer- 110'8.75" - 4th
    Caber- 18'3", 95# - 1:00 - 9th
    56# wob- 15' - 2nd

A few notes, everything felt awful. The stone was super wet, even after "drying" it off with the towel. Just wasn't loose enough to get a good wrap. Matt V took this stone 54' so there's no excuses, I just screwed this up bad. HWFD felt awful, I felt like I had no drive whatsoever and most certainly had no lift. Hammer actually felt pretty good, however, digging in was nearly impossible. The first two attempts my blades popped out just after lifting the hammer so I took it nice and slow and went for a huge pull. On the 3rd attempt I finally got dug in and some good speed going, then missed the pull. The caber was a complete shootout caber. It was an easy pick and turn for everyone. Apparently I have an issue with my plant just before pulling and turn to the right rather than landing straight and pulling. Not to mention, the ground was uneven due to the track. Meh, excuses right? I figured it out on the last pull but was still a bit off. I'm still happy with the 1:00. WOB felt great, slowed down the cast a lot and really dug deep. Cleared the 16' bar by 3-4" but didn't get it behind me. That 16' will be mine very soon.

The 2nd day went as follows:

26# braemar stone- 32'7" - 6th
    28# wfd- 70'7.75" - 4th
    22# hammer- 92'9.75" - 3rd
    challenge caber- 19' 105#s - 70 degrees?
    challenge wob- 15'

My knee, ankle and wrist were really bugging me the 2nd day, much moreso than the 1st. The stone was VERY hard to tuck and control. It came off the inside of my hand 2 out of the 3 throws and the one throw I got a hold on was hella flat. The wfd felt off as well. For some reason, my body just wasn't pushing 100% and I don't know why. I really pulled it together and dropped a big one on my 3rd attempt, but fouled it out the side. oh well.. Hammer felt really good. I went up to 4 winds which gave me 2 setup winds to get my balance and then 2 more to increase speed. I felt like I got a hold of the 2nd throw. I tried to add more speed on the third but tightened up a bit and lost a couple feet. Overall I'm happy with how the hammer went. Afterwards we went to a challenge caber where only Matt V turned it. It wasn't really a difficult stick, just couldn't get my pull right and being on the dirt track I was unsure of my footing, Cleared 15' wob on the 3rd toss and wasn't coming close to 16'. Just nothing left in the tank.

Overall I took 4th behind John Davis in 3rd, Robin Knebel in 2nd and Matt Vincent in 1st. It was a great competition with some awesome athletes. Really looking forward to the MN Ren Fest this coming weekend. Big thanks to Steve Conway for putting together a great event, as well as our judge Mike Qutermus and all the other assistance provided that made this run as smooth as it did.

9/7/11 - throws

23.5# braemar x 5, best of 33'
    16# open x 5, best of 44'
    53# wfd x 6, best of 33'
    28# wfd x 4, best of 71'
    16# hammer x 10, best of 117'

Got an ankle brace and that helped immobilize my ankle so that swelling has gone down. My toe has been feeling good as well as my left patellar tendon so I wanted to get some throws in today before heading to Minnesota this weekendl. Threw stones and wfd at work, uphill and pulled some decent numbers. Threw the hammer at home this evening on flat ground and focused on staying loose and keeping my hips active. I was hitting around 104' and then started thinking about my hips and bumpted it up to the 115's. Steady 112-117' for 5-6 throws before callign it a night. Everything clicked really well despite my poor nutrition lately. High fats, very low protein and less than adequate carbs, especially around training. Weight is holding steady, despite not keeping my calories where they need to be, however, this is definitely affecting performance. Going to get this fixed in the next couple days and make sure I have lots of carbs to take with me on the field Saturday. Taking the next 2 days off to deload, stretch, foam roll, etc. Flying out to MN with Jon O'Neil so that should be a good time.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Damn good performance and write up, major props on each day's events.

Thanks coke, despite the injuries I had a decent run in Pleasanton. If I were throwing my typical #s, I would have gotten 2nd. But this was a great learning experience. Can't wait for MN this saturday.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Lotsa work in here. I know nothing about the form but it looks pretty damned good. Your footwork on those hammer throws is pretty slick. Looks real good.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Just noticed you started a new log. Hopefully everything heals up quickly. I think my grandpa is in better shape than you are right now.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Thanks guys. Elwood, the sport is EXTREMELY technique driven. Yes, strength certainly matters. But if you can't get into a position to apply that strength, it's just not going to go.

Also everything is about being fast and explosive rather than super strong. I've got my ass beat down by guys 50lbs lighther than me who I am much stronger than, because they are faster and more explosive. Grinding out a 600lb deadlift isn't going to do anything for my explosion. Which is unfortunate because I love heavy work, therefore I cycle my speed and heavy stuff.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Some solid work Jake, sucks about the injuries, hope you get healed up quick. That foot is sexy all purple and smashed, ha. I've been toying with the idea of the Highland Games at the Texas Scottish Festival, but like many, I'd have no idea where to even start.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Some solid work Jake, sucks about the injuries, hope you get healed up quick. That foot is sexy all purple and smashed, ha. I've been toying with the idea of the Highland Games at the Texas Scottish Festival, but like many, I'd have no idea where to even start.
    head over to www.nasga.com and go into their forum board. There are quite a few members that have training groups in Texas and there are a lot of heavy hitters in texas as well. Duncan McCallum, Andy Vincent, Spencer Tyler and a few others (all top 10 amateurs in the country). Andy is a pro strongman and is doing extremely well in the sport. Send either of them a PM and I'm sure they can point you to a local training group. Hope that helps bud. My name over there is jsully as well, so if you've got some questions, feel free to ask in my log or PM me.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    head over to www.nasga.com and go into their forum board. There are quite a few members that have training groups in Texas and there are a lot of heavy hitters in texas as well. Duncan McCallum, Andy Vincent, Spencer Tyler and a few others (all top 10 amateurs in the country). Andy is a pro strongman and is doing extremely well in the sport. Send either of them a PM and I'm sure they can point you to a local training group. Hope that helps bud. My name over there is jsully as well, so if you've got some questions, feel free to ask in my log or PM me.
    Haha so I went to nasga.com and it's apparently some golf club, "the friendly golfer" or something like that. I googled you and found www.nasgaweb.com so I'm guessing that's the one. And it looks like registration is temporarily closed.
    Last edited by Mark!; 09-08-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

oops, lol, sorry.. yeah it's www.nasgaweb.com

try deleting your cache, cookies and history. I had to do that to get it to work on my home computer..

9/10/11 - MN Ren Fest Amateur World Championship
    throws

BS- 36'5.5"..6th
    OS- 45'5"..6th
    HWFD- 34'..7th
    LWFD- 67'10.75"..8th
    HH- 88'1"..8th
    Caber- 75...8th
    WOB- 16'..4th

Overall = 5th

Wow, not sure how I pulled off 5th, really. Shared the field with some big hitters and had a lot of fun throughout the day. You know it's a tight knit competition when a 16' standing wob gets you 4th place. Witnessing Matt V's 17'10" standing wob was pretty incredible. My throws were off and the field wasn't the best, but I had a great time and am looking forward to next year. Thanks to Kevin Dupuis for putting together a great event, thanks to the others that judged, announced, shagged, marked, etc.. Everything ran ultra smooth. Time to man-up, do some work and come back strong for Tucson in 7 1/2 weeks. Then it's off-season, can't wait.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

this log needs more food pics.

so I bring you this:

9/15/11 breakfast

9/15/11 dinner
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Major props dude, that is a damn good showing.

thanks coke, I did pretty well with all things considered. Looking forward to this offseason. 1 more games and it's on like donkey kong. Time to drop some huge bombs next year.

finally, deload is finished. Going to start posting some training in here (in addition the food).. today = stones/hammers @ lunch + oly movements & assistance work this evening. Until then, here are some more food pics.

9/17/11 dinner = chili

9/17/11 dessert = strawberry shortcake
    Last edited by JSully; 09-19-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season