Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: road to pro..

nope!!!! lol

hence why so much detail on technique for me. 3/4 of the guys I compete against threw shot/disc/hammer in high school or college
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

10/31/11 - throws
    throws

53# wfd
    • x12-15 one turn, best of 34'
    • x8-10 full standing, best of 32'

16# hammer x5, unk distance

Worked on a more straighter drive to the trig, rather than diagonal. I found that when my timing was right with the sprint, I would finish early out to the right. When my timing was off of the spring, I would finish late off to the left. Played around with this quite a bit and found a happy medium, throwing very slightly to the left and getting up on my left leg very well. I also found that when I sprint diagonally (over-rotate and hence, reaching for my foot placement), that by the time I'm in position, my legs are too far apart to get any good leg drive into the finish. I end up getting up on my left, but my right leg is almost locked by then and I'm losing a lot of distance. Once I fixed the sprint phase and was driving straighter (not completely straight, still over to the left a tidbit), my legs got into a better power position. It was easier to sink and drive forward up onto and over that left leg, getting a really nice lift and push for the finish. A couple times my right hip shot forward and I stepped over the trig. Going to work on finding a happy medium. By the time I got around to the full throws I was pretty exhausted so I was just going through the motions with minimal effort on the sprint.

Although slow, hammer felt really good. Really reaching to my right to catch the ball. Going to work hammer one more time before Tucson to get a couple good throws in.

Thought about throwing sheaf and WOB tonight, however, hand was pretty tired from weights plus the kids were already out trick or treating so I just relaxed with my family and hung out handing out candy. Probably won't throw wob again until the games but thats not a big deal. I can make minimal adjustments as needed. I'll throw sheaf once or twice and that should be good enough as well.

didnt count calories, protein was approx 260-280g which I'm happy with.
    Last edited by JSully; 11-01-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

11/1/11 - throws + weight training
    throws

16# stone
    • step over drill x5, best of 38
    • full standing x, best of 38.5
    • south african x10x best of 44

20# sheaf x 12-15, unk height

stones feeling good, not getting up onto my left as much as I need to but it's coming along. Threw uphill at lunch as usual, body is really feeling beat up, looking forward to the deload before competing sunday. South african felt good, nice and snappy. Sheaf went well, focused on blocking and a big back swing, both of which are coming along nicely. Also need to sink a bit more so I can get more legs into it. It all came together on a few throws and had some fantastic height, going to try to get 30ft in tucson.

weights

hip snatch up to 205x3
    push press up to 295x3, 315x .95, 315xF
    hang clean- 225x10x3
    lying leg raises x15x3

speed squats
    1. 225x3 - 3.21
    2. 225x3 - 3.21
    3. 225x3 - 3.33
    4. 225x3 - 3.33
    5. 225x3 - 3.33

exhausted is the way to describe that workout. I've been chasing that 315 push press for 9 months now. Last time I got it was in february and I was 300+ lbs. Now that I'm in the high 270s, it just doesn't want to go. I had it about an inch from lockout and brought it down like a dummy. Tried again and it was no bueno. Oh well.. a goal for this off season is to get this up closer to 350, maybe not 350 but as close as possible. Going to really start adding the pounds after Tucson.

macros- I don't know ore care right now, I'll start tracking again next week.

11/2/11 - throws
    throws

30# wfd
    • x10 one turn drills, best of 60'
    • x10 standing throws, best of 46'
    • x5 one turn drills, best of 62'
    • x15 full throws, best of 66'

Threw uphill at lunch again. 40 throws with the lwfd to drill in some technique and work on fixing some little things. Gained a bit of knowledge out of it. Started off with 10 one turns. Felt a good drive but the release just wasn't consistent. One throw I would have a great finish, the next 2-3 were off. So I wanted to add in some standing throws to simulate the delivery/finish portion. I staggered my feet, opened my hips and drove forward and up onto the left leg as I pushed the weight out. Akward at first, it felt pretty good by the end. And I could tell it carried over to the next set of one turns. Definitely felt a bit smoother and easier to get up on the left, but I still wasn't getting that big push out of the left. Something to keep working on. I had only planned to do 10 full throws, but the first 5-7 were terrible. I was starting my spin early, sprinting late, sprinting 6-8" beyond the trig, etc. Just wasn't clicking and it was getting frustrating. I'm not sure why all of a sudden my sprint was so much longer. I thought about it for a while then played with my cast a little bit. Recently I had gotten away from the Matt Sandford type of cast, pushing the hips around to the right then waiting for the weight to get to 12:00 before beginning my spin. I'm not sure why I got away from it but I went back to it and everything seemed to line up better and I quit going over the trig. From there I just needed to make sure my sprint phase wasn't late and I was driving straight. This was much easier with the different cast, so long as I got into position very quickly. Towards the last 4-5 throws I was really putting a lot of weight on my left foot for the sprint phase and it was eye opening how much additional speed you get by doing so. As soon as the weight hit the position in the back of the trig, I was already shooting forward and then I would explode off my left, get into position after the turn and try to simulate the same thing. As the weight was coming around into position after the 2nd turn for the finish I was already driving forward getting more weight onto my left, then exploded up onto it, blocking my right hip and getting a strong strong pull. Considering the best I've ever thrown this particular weight at the field I train at at lunch was 69', I was happy with the 66' which had about 80% behind it. I'm tired, I'm sore, I'm overtrained. I'm ready to relax, eat lots of food, take a couple ice baths, foam roll the shit out of my body and load up on vitamins and BCAAs so that I come into Tucson strong.

macros- I don't know or care right now, I'll start tracking again next week.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Nice work. Very structured.

Is there any money in highland games?

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Nice work. Very structured.

Is there any money in highland games?
    thank you.

there is and there isn't. As an amateur, the best I'll get is some travel money. Once I go pro (hopefully 2014), then I can get paid based on placings. A top level pro and bring in about $20-30k/year if they do the right games. There are one or two athletes in the past that have made up to $70k/year as they did it full time, throwing 50 weekends out of the year. But that's pretty hard on your body and a lot of time away from home, neither of which I would want to do.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Hmm. Why not sooner than later? How does one become pro, it is like a win a major AM contest and get a pro-card, type thing?
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Impressed with what you are doing, and that includes some of these write-ups, which are out of the park, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    thank you.

there is and there isn't. As an amateur, the best I'll get is some travel money. Once I go pro (hopefully 2014), then I can get paid based on placings. A top level pro and bring in about $20-30k/year if they do the right games. There are one or two athletes in the past that have made up to $70k/year as they did it full time, throwing 50 weekends out of the year. But that's pretty hard on your body and a lot of time away from home, neither of which I would want to do.
    Gotcha.

I can't imagine competing 50 weekends a year..lol

5/3/1 Journal

city - I probably could go pro in 2013, I think I'll be ready after next season.. however, the issue comes with traveling. When you go pro, you compete by invite only. In order to get those invites, you have to 1) throw far and 2) have good rapport with athletic directors. Your typical high level amateur is travelling to 15-20 games per year, out of their pocket. I'm doing 8-10. Therefore they are able to build the relationship required for pro invites faster than me. I plan on getting better and better through next season, then just dominating the amateurs in 2013. Hopefully, with a good season next year, I can get some decent sponsors so I can do a few more games in 2013.

coke- thanks bro. I'm trying to keep my log detailed so I can look back at it if something is off and go through all my notes about what I'm feeling at the time. Sometimes you accidentally take a step back before taking a step forward. The detail helps me take that step forward faster. Plus I also keep my log over at nasgaweb.com where there are a whole bunch of pros that comment about technique, so it's easier for them to break down my throws if they know what I'm thinking.

pat- I agree, that would be ridiculous. There is also a "games week" in Scotland every year where you can do 20-30 games (multiple per day). A top level pro can rack up $15-30k in that week alone. Yes I plan on doing this when I'm a "top level pro", haha. It's not the kind of money a typical pro athlete would make, but hell, just getting paid for a hobby is pretty damn awesome.
    Last edited by JSully; 11-04-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Agreed..lol

Plus you get to wear a kilt!

5/3/1 Journal

11/6/11 - Tucson Games
    Tucson Games Results

braemar stone(24.5#) - 35'8 - 1st
    open stone(16#) - 44+, pulled groin 2nd attempt & passed - 1st
    HWFD - 39'11.25" - 1st - fouled 41'1 on extras
    LWFD - fouled out - 11th
    HH - 90+ - 1st - 96+ on extras
    LH - 112+ - 1st
    Sheaf - 28 - 1st - 30' on extras
    Caber (18' 100#s) - 12:00 - 1st
    WOB - 14' - 4th

Overall = 1st w/ 21.5pts, 2nd place had 25pts.

Was pretty happy with braemar, considering the stone is just terrible. I was expecting to toss a 21.5# stone like we did last year, then this thing showed up to haunt me. Oh well. Open was just terrible. Over anxious to pop that bad boy out there. Didn't get on my left, and didn't pivot enough before exploding = pulled right groin. Ugh. Very minor, but still, now it's going to sit in the back of my head all day long.

After the pulled groin, I was very timid about the weights. I took a 2 one turns and a full throw to warm up on HWFD. Really focused on getting on my left for both the sprint and drive. Tried to use my right leg as little as possible and you could definitely tell. The extra time I took to get on my left was driving me way left. Fouled my first attempt, then a sweet 39'11" on my 2nd attempt. I was befuddled when he pulled it in thinking there was no way it was that far. In fact, I went out to look at the divot and was asking others if that's really where it landed. When I was up again, I hit just barely to the left of the one before and it was 39'11.25". Took an extra and fouled a 41'1" and called it there. Happy with these considering the mind fuck my groin was giving me. Groin wasn't really bugging me, but then, I wasn't giving it a big reason to either and I was afraid to really push it. Ended up doing the same thing with the light weight, drifting off the the left due to a late sprint. Fouled all 3 and ended 11th place. They told me I should do a one turn on my last attempt just to get a mark. The current leader at the time was at 68'. I wanted 80+ so I went for it as I was pretty close on my others. Fouled it out, oh well.

After weights, we went to the sheaf. Sheaf has given me some issues in the past and the last time I was at a games that did sheaf was in may in albuquerque. I really wanted 30', but I knew I hadn't put the practice time in that I needed. I just focused on a big back swing and a strong pull. Came in at 18' so I could work on accuracy. This was my issue last year. First toss my block was a bit late, every one after that I got it fixed. Worked up 3 feet at a time until we got to 26', then we went 2 feet at a time. There were 3 of us in at 30' and because I had no misses until 30', I took 1st on count backs. I missed all 3 attempts, then took extras and really focused on a huge back swing. On my 3rd extra I cleared it for a huge 4' PR. That was the highlight of my day.

After sheaf we broke for lunch. I got about a 1/2 for lunch since sheaf ran so long. By the time I got to the hammer cage, everyone was ready to go and I had just gotten my boots on. I was granted 1 warmup/wind, clearly not enough. My first heavy hammer was 90+, then a couple terrible ones at 86. It was enough to win it. On my 2nd extra I finally loosened up enough to get my hips driving the hammer ball and dropped one at 96. Not happy but acceptable I suppose. Afterwards my hips shut down again for light hammer. 2 at 112 and 1 at 111. Blegh, didn't even take extras, just wanted to move on.

Caber was pretty fun, There were only 3-4 of us that actually turned it despite it being a relatively easy stick. Lots of T&F guys that throw pretty far, but no caber experience. All the picks felt easy, the first one I didn't get enough speed and landed @ 1030. 2nd one got incredible speed and I couldn't get my footing fast enough before the caber came off my shoulder, that didn't turn, maybe it was 75 degrees, I don't know. Last one felt solid. Got a good drive, and a strong pull, easy 12:00.

Last up was WOB. I've been having issues with WOB lately. I don't know if it's because I'm pulling early or I'm just not finishing the pull. I forgot to get video so I don't really have a way to analyze it at this time. I'm going to experiment over the next few weeks and see. Every pull was way high enough, even at 15', but it was either out in front of the bar or came down on top of the bar and didn't get behind it. Meh, whatevs. I ended up taking 4th at this event.

All in all it was a great games and was extremely fun. Can't wait to go back. Got lots of work to do this off season, starting with rehabbing this groin and taking a week off of throws. Looking forward to next season. Now it's time to get strong!!
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

So you won??

5/3/1 Journal

yes, i took 1st overall despite a DFL in one event and 4th in another event.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Awesome!

D O M I N A T I O N ! ! !

5/3/1 Journal

How many competitors were there?
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Congrats Jake! Very strong showing all around.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

thanks pat

city- there were 11 of us in my group. the way it's scored is 1st place gets 1 point, last place gets however many points there are. so if there are 11 athletes, last place gets 11 points. so when I DFL'd light weight for distance, I got 11 points. The winner has the least amount of points in the end. If there is a tie in points, the winner is chosen by whoever has more 1st place finishes in the events. I honestly wasn't expecting 1st place after my DFL and since my weight over bar was off, I was just hoping to place 2nd or 3rd, haha.

brian- thanks. very anxious to start my off season training and start moving heavy weight again. I'll have to take it easy on squats for a week or so due to my groin, but it should heal pretty quick.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

11/8/11 - offseason 1/1 ME lower
    weight training
    ME good mornings- 225x6, 275x5, 315x3, 365x3, 385x3, 405x3x2
    RE conventional deads- 225x10, 315x10, 365x20, 455x10
    12" step ups- 135x10, 225x10x2

a couple notes. Was supposed to do ME box squats and RE sumo deads today, but the groin pull is still bugging me a little. It doesn't hurt to do conventional deads or GMs so I went with those instead. Well, the combo of GMs + touch&go deads annihilated my lower back. I was going to do some RDLs, pull throughs and core but I was already trashed enough so I just called it there. Overall though, I'm pleased with the workout. I originally wanted to go 365x20, then 405x20 however, there was no way I was going to be able to put myself through that 20rep set again. I thought about it and I like this RE setup. A couple sets of 10 to get the blood flowing, a big set of 20 then add more weight and another set of 10. I think I'm going to stick with this for a while.

cals = ?? 220ish protein, not high enough, need to get on top of this

vids:

Video

Video
    Last edited by JSully; 11-09-2011 at 07:02 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

repeated effort deadlifts seem like a nightmare! Solid training.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

RE anything is a nightmare IMO, lol.. next week is RE back squats, oh boy..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

11/9/11 - offseason 1/2 ME Upper
    weight training

ME floor press- 225x10, 275x3, 315x3, 335x1, 355x1, 365x0
    RE strict OHP- 95x10, 135x10, 155x20, 185x7
    pulups- BWx5x6
    ring rows- BWx10x3
    shrugs- 315x20x3
    band fyes- light x15x3

1000m row = 3:33

pretty good session. A bit bummed about floor presses but meh, what can you do? My all time PR on this is 385 and that was when I was weighing around 310ish and my bench was 415-425. Just goes to show how weak my triceps are. I can bench close to 400, but this 355 was a grinder. I initially thought I could grind out 365 but then it just stopped and wasn't going anywhere. Oh well, next ME bench session I'll do some board presses. OHPs felt pretty solid, had a crazy pump going. Got over ambitious and threw 185 on for my last set of 10, just couldn't get it and quit at 7. Need to check the ego at the door, completing all the reps is more important than seeing who much I can put on the bar.

cals = ?? 250ish protein, not bad, will start tracking total cals next week
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    Need to check the ego at the door, completing all the reps is more important than seeing how much I can put on the bar.
    That is no joke, glad to see you taking that approach.

thanks coke, typically I do this, but sometimes I let it get the best of me. I really did think I could nail that 185x10. However, after doing that set of 20, I should have just gone with 175 instead. Lesson learned.

11/10/11 - offseason 1/3 DE lower
    weight training

DE front squat with power factor, weight + choked monster mini bands
    1. 225x3 @ 3.46
    2. 225x3 @ 3.46
    3. 225x3 @ 3.58
    4. 225x3 @ 3.58
    5. 225x3 @ 3.58
    6. 225x3 @ 3.46
    7. 225x3 @ 3.46
    8. 225x3 @ 3.46

DE conventional deads with power factor
    1. 225x3 @ 3.83
    2. 225x3 @ 4.05
    3. 275x3 @ 3.71
    4. 275x3 @ 3.71
    5. 315x3 @ 3.46
    6. 315x3 @ 3.46
    7. 365x3 @ 2.58
    8. 315x3 @ 3.33

RDL - 315x5, 365x5, 415x3, 465x3 (PR)
    pull throughs - green band x10x4

+core = ab wheel against MM band, cable twists, hanging leg raises x2 sets each

foam rolled a few times between sets of front squats and deads

Pretty happy with this session. Despite my lower back still being very stiff from high rep deads on tuesday, it held up really well. The 225 front squat didn't feel too difficult. I'll be moving up to 245 my next go around. I know that if I can front squat 225 and hit all the speeds my back squat is the same so when it comes time for me to back squat for speed I'll be going with 245 also. I'd really like to push this up to 315 (+bands) by the end of the off season but I'm not sure if I can progress that fast. I do feel that 275 is very doable.

I thought I might be able to push th envelope to 365 on deads since I wasn't using bands, but that was an eye opener that just wasn't going. Not yet at least. With some chalk and without front squats prior, maybe, just MAYBE I might be able to get somewhat close to 3.33. Goal for off season is getting in the 365-405 range @ 3.33f/s.

So far I'm very pleased with my first week of off season training. No throws this week, I'll add those in next week. Going to be throwing 2-3x/week, really working on drills and dialing in technique. I've got a lot to fix this off season. Last off season I need to learn how to throw. This off season I need to learn how to throw far. You guys better watch out next season, it's going to be a smoke show.

cals = ?? 240-250ish protein.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    So you did front Squats for speed? Interesting, never tried that before.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

yep.. I like to swap off every other week with squats and front squats for speed.. front squats almost simulate a ssb squat. Even though I'm not able to sit back and crush my posterior like with a SSB back squat, it still nails my core and lower back the same way..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season