The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: The Nasty Girls

The Nasty Girls

Here are the Crossfit benchmark workouts. The majority of them are named after hurricanes. Also, one of my favorite quotes, "anything that leaves you on the ground, gasping for air, wondering what the hell just happened to you, deserves to be named after a woman".

Enjoy. And remember, these workouts are only as hard as the intensity that you put into them. Trust me, they are rough. Some of the most brutal workouts I've ever put my body through.

Annie

Double-unders
    Sit-ups

Reps of 50,40,30,20,10.

Angie

Pull-ups x 100
    Push-ups x 100
    Sit-ups x 100
    Air squats x 100

For time. Complete all 100 reps before moving to the next movement.

Barbara

Pull-ups x 20
    Push-ups x 30
    Sit-ups x 40
    Air squats x 50

5 rounds for time. Rest 3 minutes between rounds.

Chelsea

Pull-ups x 5
    Push-ups x 10
    Air Squats x 15

On the minute, every minute, for 30 minutes.

Cindy

Pull-ups x 5
    Push-ups x 10
    Air Squats x 15

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.

Diane

225 pound deadlift
    Handstand push-ups

3 rounds using 21 reps, 15 reps, then 9 reps each.

Elizabeth

135 pound power clean
    Ring Dips

Fran

95 pound thrusters
    Pull-Ups

Grace

135 pound clean & jerk

30 reps for time.

Helen

Run 400 meters
    1.5 pood kettle bell swing x 21
    Pull-ups x 12

3 rounds for time.

Isabel

135 pound snatch

30 reps for time.

Jackie

1000 meter row
    45 pound thruster x 50
    Pull-ups x 50

1 round for time.

Karen

150 wall ball shots (20 pound ball)

For time.

Kelly

Run 400 meters
    Box jumps x 30 (24")
    Wall ball x 30 (20 pound ball)

5 rounds for time.

Linda

Deadlift - body weight x 1.5
    Bench press - body weight x 1
    Power clean - body weight x .75

Reps of 10,9,8...3,2,1.

Lynne

Body weight bench press x max
    Pull-ups x max

5 rounds. There is no time component for this wod. Total up all the reps from each round to get score.

Mary

HSPU x 5
    Pistols x 10
    Pull-ups x 15

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.

Nancy

400 meter run
    95 pound OH squat x 15

5 rounds for time.

Nicole

400 meter run
    Pull-ups x max

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes. Note the number of pull-ups completed in each round.

Amanda

Muscle-ups
    Snatch

3 rounds of 9, 7, and 5 reps.
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 08-12-2011 at 02:29 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think this should be stickied .

Also, when I have time I will post the new girls. I will aslo link a video to each girl of some of the elite crossfitters doing the workout, to give everybody a better understanding as to how they are performed, and to show how beastly these athletes really are.
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 08-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I don't like these. I don't see the logic in the programming in most of them. Seems like its just something trying to make you puke rather than make you more aerobically & anaerobically efficient. Maybe I'm missing something?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Garage Lifter
    Not all girls are created equally...some are good and some not so much.

Some are for improving conditioning (of various kinds) and others are more for benchmarkin and some are definitely there just to be difficult.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

We are having a benchmark week at my gym this week so we have been running through the list. I think my favorites are definitely Isabel and Annie. Fran is a cold bitch.

[QUOTE=Bako Lifter;2498814]Here are the Crossfit benchmark workouts. The majority of them are named after hurricanes. /[QUOTE]

Bako, they're not named after hurricanes, they just use the same methodology in naming the workouts. "According to the National Weather Service the use of “short, distinctive given names in written as well as spoken communications is quicker and less subject to error” than “more cumbersome” identification methods, so since 1953 storms have been assigned female given names."
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar

Figured I'd post a photo of the board where people keep track some of these stuff @ my gym (Powerhouse). Sorry for the BB rack in the way.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 08-17-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I don't like these. I don't see the logic in the programming in most of them. Seems like its just something trying to make you puke rather than make you more aerobically & anaerobically efficient. Maybe I'm missing something?
    I think so- they are very metabolically demanding, but they also demand from you certain levels of strength (some do, anyway,) endurance, stamina, etc... And here's the thing, and CrossFit has been saying this for a while- they don't demand one at a time, they demand them all at once. And typically, when you have someone who only demands one of these attributes at a time, they fail when asked to put them together. A good runner who is also a good deadlifter is not good at both running and deadlifting put together.

Keep in mind that this does not disparage upping your strength with deadlifts, or even running, because doing those things is also useful.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh, they are also good bench marks, so if you take something like your Fran time and your Cindy time, and your max lifts, and improve them all, you know you're getting fitter. Throw in a better Murph time (hero workout, google it), and a faster mile run, and you really know you're getting somewhere.

Wannabebig Member
    some of u guys need to watch ur nutrition for ur weights... or u willl injur

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    This is my general thoughts on it too. I have a few friends who recently got into crossfit...and by into crossfit I mean they think it is the most ultimate training system ever invented and that it makes them "cooler" for doing it. One of them used to powerlift with me and for years trained heavy, basic movements. He got f'n huge and was always one of the stronger guys in the gym. Now he tells me how "sick" it is when he does like a million reps of the snatch with like 10 lbs. He posted a workout one day that literally involved 95 lb walking lunges and I couldn't stop laughing. This is a guy who used to routinely squat 400+ lbs raw. To each their own, but it is not for me.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Thuggish View Post
    A good runner who is also a good deadlifter is not good at both running and deadlifting put together.
    I'll take that challenge.

Though really, define "put together". You can only do one at a time.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    You can only do one at a time.

Pfft. Speak for yourself dude.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    ...He posted a workout one day that literally involved 95 lb walking lunges and I couldn't stop laughing...
    I don't get it... what's so funny about a conditioning work out? Seems like an odd attitude to have. I do agree with many of your observations about CrossFit aficionados, but I'm not really getting your beef with your buddy doing something different than PLing.

I just feel like the default weight they set out for men/women is just scratchable. If you can do a walking lunge (for a met con lets say) wouldnt you want to find out if you can do that movement at perhaps a heavier load?

I understand a lot of crossfit evaluation is more time/rep based for wods/metcons, but why not take that further with more weight?
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by NITF View Post
    I don't get it... what's so funny about a conditioning work out? Seems like an odd attitude to have. I do agree with many of your observations about CrossFit aficionados, but I'm not really getting your beef with your buddy doing something different than PLing.
    All debates on crossfit aside, just referring to those lunges... My question would be, what on earth is that conditioning FOR? I can't see the translation to ANY sport or athletic event- said activity is not doing anything to improve limit strength, it's not doing anything to improve aerobic endurance, and anaerobic endurance is highly movement-specific. "Conditioning" for its own sake, when it's prescribed for no real purpose whatsoever and no translation to any real world applications, is a waste of time.

Just my $0.02.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    All debates on crossfit aside, just referring to those lunges... My question would be, what on earth is that conditioning FOR? I can't see the translation to ANY sport or athletic event- said activity is not doing anything to improve limit strength, it's not doing anything to improve aerobic endurance, and anaerobic endurance is highly movement-specific. "Conditioning" for its own sake, when it's prescribed for no real purpose whatsoever and no translation to any real world applications, is a waste of time.

Just my $0.02.
    That seems fair, I appreciate your explanation. However, I would still think the aforementioned workout would be good for something; at a minimum it must serve as a EPOC inducer for fat loss. Or would you suggest that there is still probably something better you could be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by NITF View Post
    That seems fair, I appreciate your explanation. However, I would still think the aforementioned workout would be good for something; at a minimum it must serve as a EPOC inducer for fat loss. Or would you suggest that there is still probably something better you could be doing?
    Yes, certainly, it will burn some calories over time- no argument there... but with few other benefits. Generally speaking, if you're going to expend the energy, why not focus on something that will make you stronger, or faster, or more agile, or better at your given sport or hobby, or increase your aerobic work capacity, or...

You could simply say it's a different philosophy, but there are many, many ways to burn calories or burn fat... some have great additional benefits, some have zero. Avoid the ones that have zero.

Yea what Alex said....plus it's gay.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

With CF WODs it is about total work in a given period of time which DOES improve your strength endurance conditioning. Remember, they vary the WODs daily so you are constantly varying the stressor. I'll say this, every good CFer I have run across has excellent overall endurance and good strength for their size.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

These are great. I am going to give a few a shot while I am upping my gpp before my next bench training cycle. I am going to try and be smart and not try to push myself too hard the first few times around.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Chris, I'm not sure how gay CF is. Our old friend Anthony Bainbridge just pulled 640 lbs in a full meet at the same body weight as you and he is a decent CFer. I'm just sayin...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

From what I have noticed for a few months is that a lot of the public's viewpoint of CrossFit are these middle aged people who rep out lighter loads. What I've discovered is that there are some CF boxes that implement powerlifting into their programming or perhaps have a different programming all together.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Crossfit football, Crossfit strength bias and Crossfit conjugate method by Westside Barbell all focus on strength. Granted not to the extent that a power lifter would.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.