Thread: I need help getting lean and staying lean

Wannabebig Member

I need help getting lean and staying lean

Hi
    I've been training and going to the gym for about 4 years now and I am not noticing any results at all. I do notice my arms getting a little bit bigger or my stomach a little flatter but it goes away and my old body returns.

My main goal has been to get lean and stay lean but my work has not gotten me to this point just yet. I'm 18 years old, 185 pounds and 6 '2". I have skinny arms and half a muffin top stomach. I want to trim all these love handles, and build a nice big body and maintain it throughout my training.

http://www.fitnessgurusam.com/wp-con...e-building.jpg
    A body like the one in the link above is what I'm after.

First I want to gain some more mass because I dont like my skinny body. I want advice on how to train, what to eat, cardio help, getting cut, and anything else that would be essential to getting lean and helping my body reach its potential.

I finally have the dedication and motivation to get started, but I dont know where. Someone please help me...

read everything on this site
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Pick a goal; gain muscle or shrink the fat. Focus on one at a time because it's hard to do both at the same time.
    To gain muscle you'll need to be progressive with a proper routine and eat enough to sustain muscle growth.
    To shrink fat and flatten the stomache you'll have to focus more on your diet and eat a little less to see the scale move downwards.
    So you have to eat more to gain muscle and eat less to shrink fat. That's why you really can't do both at the same time.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    Diet section.

That picture you posted is a 5 year endeavor, FYI.

Wannabebig Member
    @Cards
    I kinda got started on that..

@Off Road
    What sections can i read that focus more on knowing when to gain muscle or start losing fat and all that?

@chevelle2291
    im down for 5 years, itll b worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by blazin4ever20 View Post
    @Off Road
    What sections can i read that focus more on knowing when to gain muscle or start losing fat
    You have to decide what your priority is; shrinking fat or building muscle.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I suggest you download our free HCT-12 pdf and read it in its entirety. It covers everything you have asked about.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I suggest you download our free HCT-12 pdf and read it in its entirety. It covers everything you have asked about.
    i think thats the most useful thing anyones told me so far thankss alott!

Wannabebig Member
    I got a little confused during the 1RM 70% part. And the part where it tells me about the exercise routine, 150x6 feel set, 6 reps or whatever. What thread can help me understand this better? Im reading over and I dont fully understand

I got a little confused during the 1RM 70% part. And the part where it tells me about the exercise routine, 150x6 feel set, 6 reps or whatever. What thread can help me understand this better? Im reading over and I dont fully understand
    Can you elaborate a bit more on what you don't understand?

Forget about the percentages. Just work your way up through a few progressively heavier sets until you reach a weight that is a hard [but doable] set of 6 reps. Then do the clusters.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit more on what you don't understand?
    Like the part in the PDF that mentions 1RM of 70%.
    I dont know what an RM is I googled it, its the max reps you can do but I still don;t quite understand how that works in this program. It's still a bit confusing to me.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Forget about the percentages. Just work your way up through a few progressively heavier sets until you reach a weight that is a hard [but doable] set of 6 reps. Then do the clusters.
    So just workout doing 6 sets of 6 reps, heavy weights that are do-able and increase the weight each set? or Same weight each set?

Sorry if its a newbie kinda question lol but I've been trying and focusing to get lean and big, I needa know every specfic detail, thanks for your time to clarify though I appreciate it.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    1RM stands for the maximum weight you can rep once. So lets say your bench max is 225 pounds, 70% of that weight, your 1RM, would be 157.5 pounds. That would be your theoretical work load for that particular exercise or set.

HOWEVER

I personally don't even worry about the percentages. These are just numbers you can theorycraft to get a projection of what a sample load would be like. As Off Road said, just feel it out. If you feel like you have the capacity to hit a heavier load the next set, by all means do it.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    ... theorycraft...
    i believe theorize is the word you're looking for. unless you're british then you're looking for theorise.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Nope. Theorycraft.

Theorycraft is the attempt to mathematically analyze game mechanics in order to gain a better understanding of the inner workings of the game. The term originated in the Starcraft community as composite colloquialism between the name Starcraft and Game Theory. For clarification, Game Theory is the analysis of circumstantial and general factors in order to understand the decision making process of individualized and group players for the purposes of creating generally more favorable predictions, behaviors, and overall outcomes.
    I'm not a big fan of a lot of game lingo, but this a few select others, are the exception.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 08-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Nope. Theorycraft.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of game lingo, but this a few select others, are the exception.
    thats the nerdiest thing i've read all day. high five! :bow: :thumbup:
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.