Thread: Need Help From Experienced Benchers...(wrist/forearm pain)

Need Help From Experienced Benchers...(wrist/forearm pain)

I've been trying to do some research through google, and even though I have found some possible explanations, nothing I've found considers the fact that I have gotten the pain from benching heavy (for me) amounts of weight. About 4 months ago I was benching in my shirt and warming up with I think it was 545 to a 3 board and my left wrist came out of position and the bar rolled back into my hand towards my fingers. It caused some pain so I racked it and when I did I could barely let go of the bar it hurt so bad. So I took a week completely off and took the next 6 weeks slowly working my way back up on bench and trying to strengthen my forearms. I shirted up for the first time 2 weeks ago and gradually worked up and my final set was 585 to a 3 board for a triple and my wrist didn't have any pain at all. A few days later my wrist/forearm gradually became more and more sore. I continued to work through it out of frustration. Now it hurts, but not nearly as bad as it did originally. It doesn't hurt constantly, only when I put pressure on it or try to grab something and the pain is only a 2-3 on a scale of 1-10. I could continue to work through it, I just wanted some advice. The pain starts an inch or so below my wrist on the right and left side and again in the middle of my forearm and both spots are tender to the touch. Has anyone else had an experience with this type of problem? I don't know if it is some time of splint or strain...thank you for the help in advance

Quote Originally Posted by ChadDresden View Post
    I've been trying to do some research through google, and even though I have found some possible explanations, nothing I've found considers the fact that I have gotten the pain from benching heavy (for me) amounts of weight. About 4 months ago I was benching in my shirt and warming up with I think it was 545 to a 3 board and my left wrist came out of position and the bar rolled back into my hand towards my fingers. It caused some pain so I racked it and when I did I could barely let go of the bar it hurt so bad. So I took a week completely off and took the next 6 weeks slowly working my way back up on bench and trying to strengthen my forearms. I shirted up for the first time 2 weeks ago and gradually worked up and my final set was 585 to a 3 board for a triple and my wrist didn't have any pain at all. A few days later my wrist/forearm gradually became more and more sore. I continued to work through it out of frustration. Now it hurts, but not nearly as bad as it did originally. It doesn't hurt constantly, only when I put pressure on it or try to grab something and the pain is only a 2-3 on a scale of 1-10. I could continue to work through it, I just wanted some advice. The pain starts an inch or so below my wrist on the right and left side and again in the middle of my forearm and both spots are tender to the touch. Has anyone else had an experience with this type of problem? I don't know if it is some time of splint or strain...thank you for the help in advance
    Yes. Most of the big benchers I know say they have had some sort of pain in their forearms at some point. I have also talked with my PT guru, chiropractor and orthopedic surgeon about the discomfort I have experienced in the past and in an effort to see if it was also a cause of my grip issues in my right hand.

First off, look at how you are wrapping your wrists. You want that wrist stable as can be. This means using the longest wrist wrap your federation will allow. it makes no sense for a 275 lb guy benching 600 to use a 12 inch wrist wrap. Support that wrist. Second look at your technique of wrapping your wrist. Just wrapping a tight wrap around the wrist does nothing to support the tendons and ligaments of the wrist or the muscles of the forearms. Hit up google, I know Mark Bell and I think Joey Smith have youtube videos both showing different wrist wrapping techniques. Remember, tighter is not always better for some people (that varies a bit, but some people actually seem to have less discomfort if they wrap just a tiny bit looser or they wrap tight, then loosen the wrap slightly. This is kind of hard for me to explain over the internet because you want to support the wrist too.

As far as rehab does, make sure you are stretching the wrists 2-4 times per day. Do the "carpal tunnel stretch" high on the chest, at the xyphoid, and on the abdomen. Also stretch the extensors, not just the flexors. Second, get a "knobber" massager and work the living shit out of your forearms once a day. This was a technique I learned from Travis Rodgers that at first will be one of the most painful things you've ever experienced, but the more you do it, the better you will feel. Don't roll fast, slow purposeful movements does more than jerky rolling. Ice your forearms after squatting, deadlifting, and benching, Finally, if you can get someone to help you, have them apply gentle traction on extension and flexxion of the wrist. That will make a night and day difference with mobility of the wrist. Also, Vincent Dizenzio has posted on here about a wrist twister type thing (i'm sorry, I'm blanking on the name right now, hopefully Vinny will see this and can tell you the name of it) that will help quite a bit too.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

You never mentioned icing your forearm. Thats a huge part.

Whenever I've made the mistake of handcuffing on a regular basis and creating forearm problems, soaking my entire forearm up to the elbow in ice water for about 4 sessions of 4 min made the difference. You have to get that inflamation down

JK touched on most of the other stuff. Wrap high and wrap tight. Don't follow the pain when wrapping (wrapping lower on your forearm)

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Also, if you did indeed have a stress fracture from before, be very careful. Those can take a lot longer than 6 weeks to repair

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Thank you guys very much for the replies thus far. I do indeed ice and heat. I do not soak my entire arm though, I just use ice packs so there is a chance I am not hitting the spots I need to for the inflammation to come down. I have the black (super heavy) elitefts wrist wraps for when I go over 405ish and I used the black and white striped elitefts (heavy) for anything over 275ish. The first wrap goes around the bottom of my palm area and then I continue to wrap over that around my wrist and then I bring it back across and over towards my palm again but not quite as high as the first wrap if that makes sense. I do wrap as tight as I possibly can so I will have to play with different tightness. It hurts somewhat when I take the wrist wraps off and it also hurts if I am benching and I rack the weight and go to let go of the barbell...I have to let go slowly or it will hurt.

Oh, and I've also been trying to work more on my forearm/wrist strength thinking maybe the problem was they weren't strong enough from being out of the shirt for so long.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I got the same thing when I got over 500, then again around 600, and now again as I'm hitting 7 in meets and 8 to boards...... exact same thing.

Ice helps, especially ice massages. For re/prehab I like hammer curls and any direct forearm work. I also like the finger exercisers like rubber bands that you can stretch with your fingers. After that, wrap your forearms and back off if you need to.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

I had these bad and jumped the wrist rolling and hex holds to 2 times per week and it went away. I iced daily as well.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I've had similar problems, but not really during bench. Mine always happened when I did any type of curl or rows. After the end of the set I would try to release my grip from the bar and my outside 3 fingers didn't want to release and it hurt like hell. Sometimes I actually had to use my other hand to unwrap my fingers from the bar. I've done most of the above advice and switched mainly to hammer curls.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Best RAW lifts squat 385- bench 400x2 reps- DL 395
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Fu<k! I just typed a long response and lost it somehow. Long story short, I had the same problem you are describing and Ryan Kennelly advised me to start training my forearms hard. I did lots of wirst curls and reverse wrist curls. Threw in hammer curls nd started using a thing called the Gripstik. You can find that easy enough of the net if interested. Plus like everyone elsce said--ice!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Thank you guys a ton for all the advice and responses. I was having a hell of time with this issue and I all I did was train through it. I have my first geared meet in 10 weeks and I need to finish breaking in my Overkill and I needed to find the best ways to adapt to this problem. Thanks again!

Well, I have been implementing this for a short time and I truly believe that it has helped a lot thus far. I didn't want to shirt up this week to give it a rest but I did work up to a nice set in the sling shot with minimal pain...thanks guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me4L_...&feature=share

I do like the slingshot for work every once in a while. I've noticed here recently my forearms kill me, I don't wrap my wrists all the time, but seriously thinking about it. And Vin, you've got the worst luck when it comes to long posts and then it vanishing, pretty funny.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May