Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Disabled Firefighter (drawing 65k a year in benefits), competes in bodybuilding....

  1. #1
    Iplan Iplan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    300

    Disabled Firefighter (drawing 65k a year in benefits), competes in bodybuilding....

    Does this fit the definition of a 'professional' body builder?

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/disa...building-pics/

    I appreciate the guy's enthusiam, but to be drawing a 65k per year disability pension while training and competing in a bodybuilding contest is ridiculous.

    The most disturbing part of the whole thing, is that he was sued by the city, and aquitted of wrongdoing in a jury trial. Where have ethics, morality, and conscience gone?
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

    "We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

  2. #2
    Garage Lifter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    5,993
    You can be disabled and still able to train. I have no idea the actual disability is but it's certainly possible that the two things aren't mutually exclusive. If he's trying to cheat the system I would be concerned but without knowing why he can't return to work it's hard to say.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

  3. #3
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    You can be disabled and still able to train. I have no idea the actual disability is but it's certainly possible that the two things aren't mutually exclusive. If he's trying to cheat the system I would be concerned but without knowing why he can't return to work it's hard to say.
    Hurt his back bad enough to draw permanent disability, however 2 months after filing he competed? Doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like this guys just gotten in good with the right people somewhere. Yes, one can be disabled but compete, depending on level of disability, hell there are paraplegics that compete and are amazing to watch, even in wheel chairs, but this guy supposedly is SO disabled he can no longer perform his daily duties as a fire fighter, however he can still train for body building? It's not like he was hurt, and the competition was the next week so he was already conditioned and ready. He was hurt, the FILED for disability, then COMPETED 2 months after FILING, so there's an un-explained time frame from the time he filed to the time he competed. AFTER being cleared for work, he REFUSED to return to work, to claim disability? Must have had a REAL convincing story to tell the jury.
    Last edited by Mark!; 08-16-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  4. #4
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,380
    You can get disability for mental illness too so it isn't all physical.

  5. #5
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    0
    I've had wrist reconstruction. I can train and could compete but I sure as hell wouldn't ask a team of firefighters to count on me.

    You can train around all kind of things but when a floor collapses under you I don't think you want any weak links in the chain.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  6. #6
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    That's a joke.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    I've had wrist reconstruction. I can train and could compete but I sure as hell wouldn't ask a team of firefighters to count on me.

    You can train around all kind of things but when a floor collapses under you I don't think you want any weak links in the chain.
    Exactly.

    You know, when I was younger, I felt the way a lot of people do when they see someone on disability leading what appear to be "normal", "healthy" lives; that they were somehow cheating the system. Now, after knowing more than a few people on disability, I realize that: #1) appearances don't mean diddly - many people may appear "able-bodied" yet unable to continue their chosen career at any meaningful level, and #2) the process to get on disability in the first place can be such a tremendous pain in the arse that it is no wonder that some people aren't motivated at all to even try to work ever again.

    Seriously, don't hate the playa, hate the game.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    서울돌아가고싶단말이야
    Posts
    553
    i'm hating the game indeed. I could see $25k a year? But 65k is like 2x what the average american makes. too much pressure on the system. this guy could be out working a job that is easier on the body instead of spending his time on something so narcissistic and cashing in his handout every month. the system needs to encourage him to contribute somehow... giving him less of a handout would probably be enough encouragement.
    Age: 28 Height: 6'2" Goals: BW 95kg Bench 95kg 10x
    My Journal My FatDay

  9. #9
    Garage Lifter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by natediesel View Post
    I could see $25k a year? But 65k is like 2x what the average american makes
    Disability isn't based on an arbitrary number or national averages. It's based on the salary of the person getting it. If you were to go from making $65k a year working to $25k a year on disability you and your family would be fucked.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

  10. #10
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Exactly.

    You know, when I was younger, I felt the way a lot of people do when they see someone on disability leading what appear to be "normal", "healthy" lives; that they were somehow cheating the system. Now, after knowing more than a few people on disability, I realize that: #1) appearances don't mean diddly - many people may appear "able-bodied" yet unable to continue their chosen career at any meaningful level, and #2) the process to get on disability in the first place can be such a tremendous pain in the arse that it is no wonder that some people aren't motivated at all to even try to work ever again.

    Seriously, don't hate the playa, hate the game.
    x2.

    I don't really see how him competing in a bodybuilding competition means he is healthy to do firefighter work. It's relatively easy to work around a back injury while bodybuilding. If he were doing strongman on the other hand, I'd be a little skeptical.

  11. #11
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,320
    I have an uncle who uses his handicap parking tag in his truck that's lifted 8" on 35s
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  12. #12
    Iplan Iplan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    x2.

    I don't really see how him competing in a bodybuilding competition means he is healthy to do firefighter work. It's relatively easy to work around a back injury while bodybuilding. If he were doing strongman on the other hand, I'd be a little skeptical.
    The man is a firefighter with a back injury. He went out on full disability for two months and then competed in a Bodybuilding contest. I'm absolutely positive there was something he could have done around the station to earn a portion of his income (drive the truck, fillout paperwork on calls, milage reports on vehicles, liason support with EMS, etc.

    The telling factor in the story is everyone's reaction when he was aquitted. They were in shock. You get too many of these people (being accepting of this type of behavior) in our country, and it will collapse on the weight of the unproductive mooching off those who are productive.

    If the story is accurate (and we assume it is), the man must have no conscience ~ as the money paid him for being disabled is coming out of the wallets of his neighbors.....
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

    "We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

  13. #13
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    The man is a firefighter with a back injury. He went out on full disability for two months and then competed in a Bodybuilding contest. I'm absolutely positive there was something he could have done around the station to earn a portion of his income (drive the truck, fillout paperwork on calls, milage reports on vehicles, liason support with EMS, etc.

    The telling factor in the story is everyone's reaction when he was aquitted. They were in shock. You get too many of these people (being accepting of this type of behavior) in our country, and it will collapse on the weight of the unproductive mooching off those who are productive.

    If the story is accurate (and we assume it is), the man must have no conscience ~ as the money paid him for being disabled is coming out of the wallets of his neighbors.....
    You are 'absolutely positive'? Why? Do you know all the facts involved in the case? No, you don't.

    Of course the legislators reacted in 'shock.' It'd be political suicide to side with the bodybuilder. You don't want to be seen as supporting handouts to those who don't need them, even if this individual was disabled to the point of not being able to work anymore.

    It's pretty easy to pass judgment on others based on a sensational news report. Happens all the time.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    The man is a firefighter with a back injury. He went out on full disability for two months and then competed in a Bodybuilding contest. I'm absolutely positive there was something he could have done around the station to earn a portion of his income (drive the truck, fillout paperwork on calls, milage reports on vehicles, liason support with EMS, etc.
    I'm not an expert on disability but, as I understand it, you cannot "supplement" your income from disability. If you work, you're not on disability.

    The telling factor in the story is everyone's reaction when he was aquitted. They were in shock.
    That doesn't "tell" me anything. When is the loser of a court case satisfied with the results?

    edit: I think we all need to read a little more carefully. The dude is not on disability at all - he applied for disability and was acquitted of fraud.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-18-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Fuck this guy.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  16. #16
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...ate_to_arroyo/

    I was in 2 minds about this...then I read the above article.

    So he can lift triple digit weights, run, play baseball and ride a bike but "the walking and sitting required of him as a fire-prevention inspector" is murder on his back? He claims that he injured his back pulling a hose off a truck...but if he's an inspector is he actually in a burning house saving people or filing paper?

    Sounds far more likely to be the latter. And assuming his complaint to be true (he could get a doctor's certificate to back it up) they could put him at a desk job if he wasn't there before.

    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/col...icleid=1359092

    Here's another one. This man could do one-legged squats with 225 lbs but claimed that picking up a piece of paper could hurt his back badly?

    And get this...he claimed he didn't know what he was really signing when he signed the disability papers.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-18-2011 at 11:22 PM.

  17. #17
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...ate_to_arroyo/

    I was in 2 minds about this...then I read the above article.

    So he can lift triple digit weights, run, play baseball and ride a bike but "the walking and sitting required of him as a fire-prevention inspector" is murder on his back? He claims that he injured his back pulling a hose off a truck...but if he's an inspector is he actually in a burning house saving people or filing paper?

    Sounds far more likely to be the latter. And assuming his complaint to be true (he could get a doctor's certificate to back it up) they could put him at a desk job if he wasn't there before.

    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/col...icleid=1359092

    Here's another one. This man could do one-legged squats with 225 lbs but claimed that picking up a piece of paper could hurt his back badly?

    And get this...he claimed he didn't know what he was really signing when he signed the disability papers.
    Yea, dude sounds like a scumbag now. Those articles paint a clearer picture.

  18. #18
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Disability sucks. I was on disability for three years; I couldn't work, my disability check was a joke, and I built up a huge debt because of it. The disability check and the settlement check added up to a very small percentage of what I could have made if I could have kept working. Absolutely the worst three years of my life.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  19. #19
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Disability sucks. I was on disability for three years; I couldn't work, my disability check was a joke, and I built up a huge debt because of it. The disability check and the settlement check added up to a very small percentage of what I could have made if I could have kept working. Absolutely the worst three years of my life.

    Yeah, but his disability would have been 65K a year plus it's tax-free. And he can do all these other activities like bodybuilding, riding a bike, playing baseball...
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-20-2011 at 04:03 AM.

  20. #20
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,380
    Not saying this guy should be getting it but a pension disability is different from regular disability. What it is allowing him to do is start receiving his pension benefits before his normal retirement age. So while it is still messed up if he is receiving benefits when he shouldn't, it is coming out of the pension fund which he has in a way earned, he is just taking it early. Should make you feel better that it isn't like he is receiving welfare or something like that. Still messed up though if he could really work.

Similar Threads

  1. Cardio if your disabled???
    By csthompson in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM
  2. Is there a firefighter in the house?
    By Kyolked in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 01:26 PM
  3. Entering 7th year of bodybuilding
    By theman in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 07:41 AM
  4. Disabled Weighlifters
    By IronDaddy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 12:48 PM
  5. Who here competes..?
    By ToysRusKid in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-10-2001, 04:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •