Thread: Conjugate CrossFit

Wannabebig New Member

Conjugate CrossFit

I've been doing strictly CrossFit for the last year, and I've lost 40 pounds in the process. However, I've lost a fair amount of strength as well. I started looking for a strength biased program that I could use to increase strength while still doing metcons. I found Chris's Conjugate CrossFit program, and started it last week. I have to say that I love the workouts so far. My first ME upper day I pressed 160 (185 is my old PR), and yesterday was my second ME upper and I easily pressed 165. I felt like I could have done 170, but I thought it'd be a better idea to leave some in the tank. I understand this doesn't mean a ton since it's only been one week, but I thought I'd put this out there for anyone who may have been thinking about this program or for someone who's been searching for something similar. Thanks for a great program Chris!

Nice work on the weight loss.

I know that there are a couple of Crossfit gyms that use some of the information from that article in their training (one of which is Crossfit Strength in Charlotte - I post their daily workouts here).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Conjugate CF

Chris's article was one of the things that helped push my training toward a conjugate model. I think it is a good and overall natural blend to those wanting to build strength and still maintain a good conditioning base.

If you have any questions about the program feel free to ask here. Remember to really push those PRs on ME days. Don't get emotionally charged for the lift, simply approach it with focus and a reasonable degree of intensity. The accomplishes the goal of leaving some in the tank for when you attempt an all-time PR.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    I run CrossFit Strength in Charlotte, and we have seen dramatic results with our people. Chris' article was the catalyst for our programming. Can't say enough about the effectiveness of WSBB training for strength and explosiveness. Our clients, young and old love the training.

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
    I run CrossFit Strength in Charlotte, and we have seen dramatic results with our people. Chris' article was the catalyst for our programming. Can't say enough about the effectiveness of WSBB training for strength and explosiveness. Our clients, young and old love the training.
    Tony,
    Do you have anyone training with you that does a lot of BJJ/grappling training? Do you adjust the WODs/strength plan?

thanks in advance,

matt
    Last edited by StLRPh; 08-25-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I've been toting with the idea of getting my barbell out at home and do some extra strength work in the evenings. My strength since joining CF has gone up but I want it higher to perform better in WODs, whether metcon or strength based.

I'll have to see if I can incorporate some of this into my workouts without adding soreness that will hinder the regular WOD. suggestions?

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
    Thanks Tony, and thank you for posting here.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    Matt, we do have a couple of BJJ guys and they pretty much follow the program as is, from time to time we may switch out the WOD for a CrossFit Football WOD to keep the time domain under 20 min. These guys get plenty of cardio when they roll at night during practice.

Garage Lifter
    Thanks Tony, that's basically what I was thinking
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wannabebig New Member
    What do you guys recommend for CNS recovery? I find that the ME days, especially ME lower, really take a lot out of my CNS. This is something new for me, as I didn't have this problem when I was under 30. I also didn't have any issues when I was doing nothing but CrossFit. I'm not sure if it sounds odd, but I feel emotionally drained is the best way that I can put it.

Jason...

This might be you breaking into the program if you haven't been doing much strength work and mainly CF metcons before starting Chris' program. Also, if you are following Chris's program to the letter, you want to try and keep your metcons no longer than 10 minutes and avoid really heavy ones.

When you say CNS breakdown, what exactly are you referring to? For me I feel just drained all the time and not motivated.

My experience compared to others is that I might be sore/tight locally for a day, but usually not generally fatigued for several days after a Max Effort day.

Jason,

Easy fix for your problem:

- Take a week off.
    - When you resume training be sure to not get emotionally/physically excited prior to your 1RM attempt. Getting all jacked for every max on your ME days will quickly lead to burnout. There are training maxes and meet maxes. It's ok to get excited at the meet, but not in training.

Where can I find the article by chris referenced in here?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Where can I find the article by chris referenced in here?
    Here you go: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/11/...e-crossfit.tpl
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Tom, you have to be a subscriber to the journal to read that (I believe).

Wannabebig New Member
    Chris, I saw on the CrossFit forum that you're now in favor of a complete Westside program with two metcons a week added in. I'm interested in what has changed your mind.

Just further working with athletes. In other words, I'm always looking for better results and the full template plus 2 WODs seems to do just that.