Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPF Pro Am - 3,000 lbs Total

SPF Pro Am - 3,000 lbs Total

Dave Hoff totaled 2910 (275 record)
    Donnie Thompson totaled 3000 (super-heavy and world record)
    AJ Roberts totaled 2830 (308 record)
    Michael Cartinian totaled 2300 (new 181 record)

This was definitely the meet to be at, amazing records set all around. Big Donnie Thompson totalling 3000, man that's just amazing.
    Last edited by Mark!; 08-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I guess that was actually the SPF Pro Am. I guess if a mod can change it to new WR total, or 3000lb total, or something flashy, that'd be swell.
    Last edited by Mark!; 08-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Holy hell! 3k is nothing short of amazing. Cant wait to see some vid of this meet.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Donnie's 1265 squat is up on youtube, I'd link it but I'm at work, and the youtube nazi's won't allow it. Looked just below parallel to me. Freaking awesome
    Last edited by Mark!; 08-21-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Video
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Let's try the link again. I'm not a hater, but that ain't parallel.

Video
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-21-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

That is an amazing total and an amazing squat for Donnie. I think with the little dip he does at the bottom he actually breaks parallel. Tough to tell for sure, but I'd pass it from the front. Either way it is a heck of a lot better than his squat on the previous record total. Congrats to Donnie and all the other amazing lifters who competed at the Pro/Am
    Last edited by mike95763; 08-21-2011 at 08:22 PM.

There were definitely some big boys out there putting on one hell of a show. I think, like you said, with that little dip it gets him slightly below. With some of the squats I've seen white lighted, that squat definitely passes with at least 2 whites.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Congratulations to Donnie. 3000 lbs is a ridiculous total.

It's unfortunate that the SPF has gotten itself such a bad reputation. Squat may have been a bit high, but much deeper than a lot of sqauts that have been passed by the SPF lately. Can't take anything away from Donnie though. Huge accomplishment.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I was at the meet and Donnie put on a really impressive performance. He hit somewhere around 1050 in the warmup room and it was insane how fast it was. Not to mention the guys size.

As for the judging, there was a projector screen set up to watch the lifter on the platform. Watching the actual lifters in person vs on the projector screen, it was insane how different depths looked between the two.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

3000 lbs was something he had been chasing for years. Does anyone known if Donnie has future plans in powerlifting?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I believe he intends on dropping some weight. He's been a Shw for a long time now and I think he's getting tired of it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Joey Im not sure what his plans are, I know after briefly talking to him he said he is passing on the Bullfarm meet. I know he has said in the past once he got 3k he was done but if you know Donnie you never can tell what he will do next. Some will talk about his squat being high but fact is he went and did head to head with the best, Im proud to call him a friend.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with Sensei. I think the guy is an animal to even consider having that much weight on his back, but it wasn't close, even with the dip.
    Last edited by Suprman1020; 08-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Ton of weight, Donnie must be very happy with breaking 3k, i cant wait to see the 950 bench as well, I think thats the highest full meet bench ever?

On the depth issue, because thats all everyone is going to talk about for the next 2 weeks.. No doubt that that squat wouldn't have passed in most federations, but it did pass at this meet and looks about on par with what has been required in the past there. If you want super deep squats, this is likely not the federation you would lift in, seems the SPF is all about putting up the biggest numbers humanly possible. What im saying is that its nothing ground breaking that some high squats got passed in a multiply meet, it happens in every single one haha, I am sure those who compete multiply for any length of time have had some questionable calls go in their favour.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Ton of weight, Donnie must be very happy with breaking 3k, i cant wait to see the 950 bench as well, I think thats the highest full meet bench ever?

On the depth issue, because thats all everyone is going to talk about for the next 2 weeks.. No doubt that that squat wouldn't have passed in most federations, but it did pass at this meet and looks about on par with what has been required in the past there. If you want super deep squats, this is likely not the federation you would lift in, seems the SPF is all about putting up the biggest numbers humanly possible. What im saying is that its nothing ground breaking that some high squats got passed in a multiply meet, it happens in every single one haha, I am sure those who compete multiply for any length of time have had some questionable calls go in their favour.
    Exactly, I've seen higher squats get called good lifts, the judge called it a good squat, that's all that matters. That was an awesome display of strength, and I think Selk that the 950 was also a WR bench for the full power meet.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    Out of interest, does Donnie also have the biggest ever squat? He has a video of him squatting 1300 to good depth in training. I know it's not in a meet, but still, 1300 is pretty incredible! Has anyone ever done more?

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post

I agree. If its within the standards for that fed on that day in that meet then its good. It is hard to tell depth from the front so I don't even bother trying. Good for donnie.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I agree. If its within the standards for that fed on that day in that meet then its good. It is hard to tell depth from the front so I don't even bother trying. Good for donnie.
    The SPF doesn't allow side videos right?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Im not a member of the spf. I have no clue.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I just read the SPF doesn't allow side view cameras, spiffy. 2 whites 1 red.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I know this will make me sound like a douche, but I find it odd that a fed (any fed) would have a rule prohibiting cameras from ANY angle - front, side, behind, above, or below... JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Hmmm I wonder why
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Hmmm I wonder why
    I'm not in the SPF right now, everyone says their meets are hella fun, so maybe in the future, so my opinion is just that, but seems to me the reason for that would be to limit internet judges from saying one way or another, and actually having any base of fact regarding that statement. Like here, we clearly see the front view, looks close, but a side judge would be able to see the crease and be able to pinpoint white vs red. That way, it's that judges call, and only that judges call, there's no other real discussion because without any side judge video, with a squat thats close, there's no real argument, only opinion.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Not close at all. Agree to disagree. It did look like a good spf squat though.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB