The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

My first strongman competition

I have my first strongman competition 20 days from now and I was just looking for some advice. What do I need to be doing up to the show in the gym and on event days?
    I have been training strongman for about 2 months so I don't really have a handle on last minute preparations for competition. This is going to be a novice competition but I still want to do well. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stlstrongman View Post
    I have my first strongman competition 20 days from now and I was just looking for some advice. What do I need to be doing up to the show in the gym and on event days?
    I have been training strongman for about 2 months so I don't really have a handle on last minute preparations for competition. This is going to be a novice competition but I still want to do well. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    What are the events/weights for the contest that you are planning on doing? And what have you been doing in training for the past two months (when you started training with strongman implements)?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    I think two months practice is not enough. Anyhow try your best. Good luck!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    danisleet competed in a novice strongman here in SE Michigan...and won for his weight class. (under 200#), if only that bastard would post.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    What are the events/weights for the contest that you are planning on doing? And what have you been doing in training for the past two months (when you started training with strongman implements)?
    1. 180 log for reps... clean once 60 seconds
    2. Car deadlift for reps... 60 seconds
    3. 180 farmers 50 ft
    4. 400 yoke 50 ft
    5. Stones 200, 220, 240, 260, 300

The guys at the local strongman gym have been working with me breaking down the lifts and helping with my weaknesses. I have done the yoke in under 6s, farmers in under 7s, and gotten the first 3 stones. My log is pretty bad with me getting a high of 2 reps

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave666 View Post
    I think two months practice is not enough. Anyhow try your best. Good luck!
    Why would you say that? I entered my first contest without ever touching a strongman implement until the day of the event.

If someone is looking to make the podium then that is a different story, but if they just want to compete then as long as you have a decent gym training / athletics background then they really do not need to worry.

1. 180 log for reps... clean once 60 seconds
    2. Car deadlift for reps... 60 seconds
    3. 180 farmers 50 ft
    4. 400 yoke 50 ft
    5. Stones 200, 220, 240, 260, 300

The guys at the local strongman gym have been working with me breaking down the lifts and helping with my weaknesses. I have done the yoke in under 6s, farmers in under 7s, and gotten the first 3 stones. My log is pretty bad with me getting a high of 2 reps
    You are not going to get any stronger in three weeks, so the objective for the next couple of weeks should be to improve your technique and to make sure that you show up to the contest well-rested.

It sounds like you are not going to have any issues with the events that you have trained, and as long as you have a relatively strong squat/deadlift the car lift should not be a problem either. How is your pressing strength (bench, military, etc.)? I may be able to help with some technique on the log.

I can also provide you with some tips on the car deadlift if you would like, since you did not mention training for that specific event.

Garage Lifter
    Are you training will Willie and Mike and Lance? If you are they can help with last minute stuff and if you aren't then get out there, it's pretty close
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wannabebig Member
    Why would you say that? I entered my first contest without ever touching a strongman implement until the day of the event.

If someone is looking to make the podium then that is a different story, but if they just want to compete then as long as you have a decent gym training / athletics background then they really do not need to worry.

You are not going to get any stronger in three weeks, so the objective for the next couple of weeks should be to improve your technique and to make sure that you show up to the contest well-rested.

It sounds like you are not going to have any issues with the events that you have trained, and as long as you have a relatively strong squat/deadlift the car lift should not be a problem either. How is your pressing strength (bench, military, etc.)? I may be able to help with some technique on the log.

I can also provide you with some tips on the car deadlift if you would like, since you did not mention training for that specific event.
    I bench around 455 but my military press is pretty weak. A few years ago I dislocated both shoulders so I never really trained that motion til about 3 months ago. We train the car deadlift with tires but I havent been able to actually put a car on the lift. We have been training with tires on the closest setting

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Are you training will Willie and Mike and Lance? If you are they can help with last minute stuff and if you aren't then get out there, it's pretty close
    That is actually who I have been training with for the last 2 months. It is actually Lance's show I am training for.
    They have helped me tremendously I am just looking for all the advice I can get

I bench around 455 but my military press is pretty weak. A few years ago I dislocated both shoulders so I never really trained that motion til about 3 months ago. We train the car deadlift with tires but I havent been able to actually put a car on the lift. We have been training with tires on the closest setting
    If you can bench 455 lbs then you should be able to manhandle a 180 lbs log. As I mentioned above you are not going to get any stronger in the next couple of weeks so I would simply focus on technique (lower weights, more volume).

Since you have use a car deadlift apparatus you will be fine, a tire is basically the same as a car except that you don't have the recoil of the vehicle suspension.

Are you looking for tips on peaking / diet / etc.?

This article might be helpful:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/p...t-to-hit-a-pr/

Wannabebig Member
    If you can bench 455 lbs then you should be able to manhandle a 180 lbs log. As I mentioned above you are not going to get any stronger in the next couple of weeks so I would simply focus on technique (lower weights, more volume).

Since you have use a car deadlift apparatus you will be fine, a tire is basically the same as a car except that you don't have the recoil of the vehicle suspension.

Are you looking for tips on peaking / diet / etc.?

This article might be helpful:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/p...t-to-hit-a-pr/

Thanks
    I am looking for diet tips and what to do the week before and day of. Also what I should to warming up wise?

Thanks
    I am looking for diet tips and what to do the week before and day of. Also what I should to warming up wise?
    Do you have to make weight for the division that you plan on competing in? And if so, how much room do you have?

Wannabebig Member
    I do not have to make weight because they group all the novices together. My next show will be in december so I am cutting for that but not for the upcoming one

Wannabebig Member
    I am now a week out. Any last minute prep I need to do?

I am now a week out. Any last minute prep I need to do?
    For the last week I would just try to get as much rest as possible, and to make sure to eat well. This will help you to ensure that you are ready to push yourself to your limits on Saturday.

Do you have your gym back and cooler ready to go for the contest? I would make sure to bring any support equipment that you might need as well as snacks, energy drinks, water, etc.