The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

To PLers with long arms/legs -- bench question

For those on here with long arms/legs in proportion to your height, do you prefer to bench with your feet flat on the floor so you get more leg drive, or on your toes so you get a bigger arch?

At my old gym, I had my form down pat with flat feet...I was getting tremendous leg drive. Then I found out the bench there was higher than competition benches....switched to a gym with a standard height bench and the leg drive is gone. I just cannot replicate it...not sure if its a flexibility thing or something just related to having very long legs.

I was considering switching to benching on my toes to at least limit the rom some if I can't get leg drive...but just wanted to see how you other guys with long arms prefer to bench.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Who cares? What works for Bob doesn't work for Jim. Put your feet on the bench, push yours shoulders in to the bench, feel that pressure and weight? Put your feet down, mimic that. If you do that and get that same feeling with feet flat, use feet flat, if you mimic that feeling best with feet under you on your toes, do that, if you mimic that best with your feet in the air..do that...
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    For those on here with long arms/legs in proportion to your height, do you prefer to bench with your feet flat on the floor so you get more leg drive, or on your toes so you get a bigger arch?

At my old gym, I had my form down pat with flat feet...I was getting tremendous leg drive. Then I found out the bench there was higher than competition benches....switched to a gym with a standard height bench and the leg drive is gone. I just cannot replicate it...not sure if its a flexibility thing or something just related to having very long legs.

I was considering switching to benching on my toes to at least limit the rom some if I can't get leg drive...but just wanted to see how you other guys with long arms prefer to bench.
    Try moving your feet further apart/wider stance and you'll probably be good to go. With a shorter bench you just need to get used to maintaining your arch and shoulder position while benching.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Try moving your feet further apart/wider stance and you'll probably be good to go. With a shorter bench you just need to get used to maintaining your arch and shoulder position while benching.
    Yes, I noticed that I seem to lose my arch as the weight comes down to my chest, which never happened on the taller bench. I'll try the wider feed method and report back, thanks.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 08-27-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Who cares? What works for Bob doesn't work for Jim. Put your feet on the bench, push yours shoulders in to the bench, feel that pressure and weight? Put your feet down, mimic that. If you do that and get that same feeling with feet flat, use feet flat, if you mimic that feeling best with feet under you on your toes, do that, if you mimic that best with your feet in the air..do that...
    No, I know all about "getting that feeling" I still get that with flat feet...I just have zero to minimal leg drive due to the shorter bench and I want to get that back. I'll work on it. I'll see if I can get a video...next bench session is Friday so I will just go in late when no one is there.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 08-27-2011 at 09:27 AM.