The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    81

    When can you call yourself a Powerlifter or a Strongman

    Hi Guys,

    When can you call yourself a Powerlifter or a Strongman ?



    your opinions are appreciated
    Last edited by Brian205; 09-09-2011 at 08:20 PM.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,993
    Powerlifting and Strongman are sports. In order to be considered either or you have to compete. Thats my 2 cents. I may be harsher then others but thats how I feel. If you train hard and dont feel like competing Im not knocking anyone for that but call it what it is....."Working Out" I always get pissed at my inlaws when they asked me if I ecercised today. I always remind them that I dont exercise, I train LOL

    Why not compete and see how you do?
    Best Lifts unequipped
    765
    505
    755
    Best lifts Equipped
    1050
    840
    715

    Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  4. #3
    illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    883
    When a person competes in the sport..... then he is part of that sport.

    The stuff you do in private is just practice regardless of how awesome it is.


    Me singing in the shower doesn't make me a singer. Only when you take your gift ( or lack thereof) in to public does it count....


    to echo Scott, Why not just do a contest for fun?
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

    Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

  5. #4
    Senior Member jtteg_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,994
    this video taken from "Power Unlimited" may interest you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N4RKgsK1-0

  6. #5
    OVERCOME krazylarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bx, NY
    Posts
    401
    3rd for when you compete.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

  7. #6
    Senior Member hulk242's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Ky
    Posts
    139
    Yep, always said you have to lay it on the line in comp.

    http://hulkhires.com
    Guerrilla Squad Barbell Member

    Current Raw Lifter @242- 765, 465 and 720.

  8. #7
    Senior Member 44pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Powerlifting and Strongman are sports. In order to be considered either or you have to compete. Thats my 2 cents. I may be harsher then others but thats how I feel. If you train hard and dont feel like competing Im not knocking anyone for that but call it what it is....."Working Out" I always get pissed at my inlaws when they asked me if I ecercised today. I always remind them that I dont exercise, I train LOL

    Why not compete and see how you do?
    Absolutely.... I train for competitions.. I have to explain to my inlaws as well as other exercisers in the gym I train at.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

    5'`9.5" 238
    Comp Lifts
    2ply Squat 550 10/17/09 Bench 470 10/17/09 DL 480 10/17/09
    Raw Squat 550 10/26/2013 Bench 425 5/14/11 DL 530 10/26/2013

  9. #8
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,887
    I agree, it's when you actually compete.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    451
    I always got annoyed when people would say to me, "oh your a bodybuilder" or the like, and of course I could just say no I haven't ever competed, or to correct them I couldn't say, no I am a powerlifter, cause I have never competed in that, so I say I train like a powerlifter? Really I need to start doing competitions! I am of a like mind like others, better start competing to be called a powerlifter. Cause really explaining to people I train for strength and well being is about all I can justly say.

  11. #10
    Dr. Subtotal
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,370
    It's more than just competing IMO that makes you a powerlifter. Whether you bench the bar or WRs, by doing meets, you contribute to the sport through paying membership dues and giving the means to meet directors to hold meets. Without those two, you don't have legitimate sanctioned meets (sanctions are responsible for insurance and making sure qualified people run meets with standardized equipment). Without sanctions, you have no rules, no insurance, and equipment that is either not standardized or could even hurt lifters and spotters. Feel good about that new fresh WR? Well it just got beat by some small gym meet put on youtube, except the plates on reality may be 5-10 lbs less each. If meet directors aren't supported, they can't afford to pay for judge's hotels or food for spotters, loaders, and workers.

    Even further, PLers are some of the most intra-contest friendly athletes in the world. I once lent a belt to a fellow competitor in my class whose belt buckle snapped during a lift. Older lifters give advice out and even mentor younger lifters, many of whom they might even compete against one day. You don't see this in many sports. PLers are also more likely to support PLing companies (often paying more money over similar products) than gymrats. Many PLers turn into coaches, judges, and meet volunteers even though they don't compete anymore. They are still PLers because they contribute to the sport.

    So just because you do the big three does not make you a PLer, plain and simple. Even if you can bench 720 and pull 1020. I do hypertrophy work here and there, but I am sure as hell not a BBer. I can even eat grilled chicken and oats 7 times a day and cut to 5% and tan up and do a boatload of cardio and practice posing. Until I step foot on a stage, I'm not a BBer.

    Ultimately like Scott said, this is a sport. We all strive for PRs, whether it's in the gym or on the platform, but PLing is all about competition. When there's no competition left, that's a problem.
    Last edited by BloodandThunder; 08-31-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

    Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

  12. #11
    JERSEY IRON Brian C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    It's more than just competing IMO that makes you a powerlifter. Whether you bench the bar or WRs, by doing meets, you contribute to the sport through paying membership dues and giving the means to meet directors to hold meets. Without those two, you don't have legitimate sanctioned meets (sanctions are responsible for insurance and making sure qualified people run meets with standardized equipment). Without sanctions, you have no rules, no insurance, and equipment that is either not standardized or could even hurt lifters and spotters. Feel good about that new fresh WR? Well it just got beat by some small gym meet put on youtube, except the plates on reality may be 5-10 lbs less each. If meet directors aren't supported, they can't afford to pay for judge's hotels or food for spotters, loaders, and workers.

    Even further, PLers are some of the most intra-contest friendly athletes in the world. I once lent a belt to a fellow competitor in my class whose belt buckle snapped during a lift. Older lifters give advice out and even mentor younger lifters, many of whom they might even compete against one day. You don't see this in many sports. PLers are also more likely to support PLing companies (often paying more money over similar products) than gymrats. Many PLers turn into coaches, judges, and meet volunteers even though they don't compete anymore. They are still PLers because they contribute to the sport.

    So just because you do the big three does not make you a PLer, plain and simple. Even if you can bench 720 and pull 1020. I do hypertrophy work here and there, but I am sure as hell not a BBer. I can even eat grilled chicken and oats 7 times a day and cut to 5% and tan up and do a boatload of cardio and practice posing. Until I step foot on a stage, I'm not a BBer.

    Ultimately like Scott said, this is a sport. We all strive for PRs, whether it's in the gym or on the platform, but PLing is all about competition. When there's no competition left, that's a problem.
    Nice
    Last edited by Brian C; 08-31-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

    Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

  13. #12
    Senior Member IronDiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Nice
    Agreed. Being a powerlifter is more than a title. It's a lifestyle.

    Chances are, you're not a powerlifter until you quit caring about being able to call yourself one.
    Last edited by IronDiggy; 08-31-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

  14. #13
    Wannabebig ROCKS MrBean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    22
    You might be a powerlifter if…
    • The doctor tells you that you need more iron in your diet so you throw in an extra set of lock-outs!
    • You think baby powder on your thighs and chalk on your hands looks cool.
    • Whenever a non-PL friend of yours moves house, or needs to move heavy things around the place, you are the FIRST person they call for help!
    • You psych up before lifting your laundry basket off the floor.
    • Most people in the gym don’t like you.
    • You dismount the toilet like doing box squats (to perfect that explosive power).
    • You think torn track pants, an old, sweaty, filthy t-shirt advertising a garbage company, and SLIPPERS, are perfectly suitable gym attire.
    • You can’t count above 5 but can multiply by 45 in your head.
    • When you inhale ammonia instead of using it for cleaning.
    • When the amount of weight you lift is more important than how cleanly shaven your legs are or how dark your tan is.
    • You think a 16 oz. steak is a snack to have between meals.
    • It takes 5 seconds for your spirit to re-enter your body after deadlifting.
    • You think that creatine is a food group.
    • You have baby powder in your gym bag.
    • When asked for your ID you show your Federation Membership Card
    Last edited by MrBean; 08-31-2011 at 01:58 PM.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    When a person competes in the sport.....
    This.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  16. #15
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    I guess I'm proud to call myself a powerlifter now that I got a meet under my belt, sweet.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
    • It takes 5 seconds for your spirit to re-enter your body after deadlifting.
    lol!

  18. #17
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    I feel that I can call myself a strongman now that I have competed a few times, even though I have a ways to go to get to the upper echelon of the elite lightweight ams and the lightweight pros

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    107
    I've competed in both PL & Strongman, but haven't done a contest in either since 2008.
    still training tho for the love of iron. So what does that make me? a washed up plifter? retired strongman?
    I'm like Bill Kazmaier or Kirk K, anyone need an Emcee or color commentator for your contest, shoot me an email. I work for cheap LOL
    Last edited by Rugby Dad; 09-01-2011 at 09:06 AM.

  20. #19
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    I've competed in both PL & Strongman, but haven't done a contest in either since 2008.
    still training tho for the love of iron. So what does that make me? a washed up plifter? retired strongman?
    I'm like Bill Kazmaier or Kirk K, anyone need an Emcee or color commentator for your contest, shoot me an email. I work for cheap LOL
    is it like the Marine Corps, where it is once a strength athlete, always a strength athlete?

Similar Threads

  1. 1st Strongman competition, never really trained strongman before
    By barryisawinnah in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
  2. Strongman vs powerlifter
    By RichMcGuire in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
  3. Dan Harrison - Strongman/Powerlifter 903 lbs (410 Kg) Deadlift, No Suit
    By Tom Mutaffis in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •