Thread: Power cleans

Power cleans

I picked up a piece of junk bar for free. I was wondering how bad it would be to do powercleans on the grass. My power rack is bolted to my platform, and I don't have room to make another platform. Could I use this junky bar and just clean out on the grass? or is that not safe? yeah it isn't as flat or good of a surface as a platform, but I would like to start doing this lift again. haven't in a long time. As well as things like snatches etc.

Wannabebig Member
    Junk bar? That doesn't sound safe to me considering there is quite a bit of movement to perform powercleans.

And I don't think it would be that bad to do it out on the grass as long as its flat.

You might try getting a stall mat from somewhere like Tractor supply Co. and putting it in your yard so the plates don't sink into the ground. Should work.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    As long as you don't mind your plates getting all dirty..... go for it.

I do a lot of my conditioning outside and have never had a problem.....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

+1 on the stall mats and you should have not problem

yeah I don't really want muddy plates, I have one area I could put a platform, but if I built it like my current one it is ridiculously heavy. Maybe I could rig a way to attach a rope to one end and a pully and make a hinge and pull the thing up so it doesn't take up space except when I use it. although I wouldn't want it falling on a kid.

The bar is just a cheap bar with crap knurling, practically smooth feeling to me.

I would get a stall mat (Tractor Supply - $40) and then train in your driveway. The concern with grass would be that you are going to be training on a potentially uneven surface and that could put your at risk for injury.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    If you're going to lift heavy then I would consider using a different bar. Frozen bars with collars that rotate badly or not all, can be very stressful on the body during olympic lifts. One weightlifter I train with hurt his back by doing this.

Wannabebig New Member
    If you go the stall mat route you're going to need 2 unless you cut one in half. They are 4'x6'. two 3'x4' sections would work but a 6'x8' area would be even better. Hell why stop there, why not build another platform? You could always just lean it up against a wall when you aren't using it.

Quote Originally Posted by bhart89 View Post
    If you go the stall mat route you're going to need 2 unless you cut one in half. They are 4'x6'. two 3'x4' sections would work but a 6'x8' area would be even better. Hell why stop there, why not build another platform? You could always just lean it up against a wall when you aren't using it.
    except that it is extremely heavy and hard to get your hands under, could always make handles and probably solve the problem, but the other end sliding when you lift it is trouble as well. I was actually thinking I would modify this bar and turn it into a safety squat bar, I couldn't imagine it being difficult.