The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    73

    When do drag sled?

    I just got a Westside sled to drag. This is my first time pulling a sled and I was wanting to know when to use it properly. I want to pull the sled to bring up some of my weak areas. Can I use it on a training day or off day? How much weight do I use and how far do I go? I already read some of the Westside articles about sled pulling.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    882
    I use the sled and prowler the day after my heavy deadlift and squat day.... but I use them more for recovery and conditioning than to gain any strength.

    Had great success doing this though. I recover faster, and I've noticed that at meets I'm not as tired when it comes time to deadlift.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

    Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I use the sled and prowler the day after my heavy deadlift and squat day.... but I use them more for recovery and conditioning than to gain any strength.

    Had great success doing this though. I recover faster, and I've noticed that at meets I'm not as tired when it comes time to deadlift.
    How do you know how much weight to put on the prowler and how many sets to do?

  5. #4
    illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    How do you know how much weight to put on the prowler and how many sets to do?
    The prowler is really different on pavement vs. asphalt vs. grass so that all depends...

    The loading dock behind my gym has some really rough pavement so the prowler is a bear to push... I have been using 2 plates (one on each poll) and pushing it 40 yards each way ( 80 yards round trip).....

    If I take the prowler out to the street I need more weight to get the same friction going, so I'll use 4 or 6 plates

    It also depends on how heavy my workout was the day before and how fast I'm pushing it....

    so, sorry there's no one good answer here.... just push until you want to stop, then turn around and push it back... puke, repeat....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

    Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    The prowler is really different on pavement vs. asphalt vs. grass so that all depends...

    The loading dock behind my gym has some really rough pavement so the prowler is a bear to push... I have been using 2 plates (one on each poll) and pushing it 40 yards each way ( 80 yards round trip).....

    If I take the prowler out to the street I need more weight to get the same friction going, so I'll use 4 or 6 plates

    It also depends on how heavy my workout was the day before and how fast I'm pushing it....

    so, sorry there's no one good answer here.... just push until you want to stop, then turn around and push it back... puke, repeat....
    Sorry, my question was kind of vag. Should I be running as fast as possible the whole time? Is it okay to slow down a bit at the end of the set, doing sort of a running walk? Or should it be more of a jog?

    BTW, I run the prowler once a week on one of my off days just to keep my conditioning/cardio level up. It's not a top priority.

  7. #6
    illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    Sorry, my question was kind of vag. Should I be running as fast as possible the whole time? Is it okay to slow down a bit at the end of the set, doing sort of a running walk? Or should it be more of a jog?

    BTW, I run the prowler once a week on one of my off days just to keep my conditioning/cardio level up. It's not a top priority.
    I'm sure that there are guys on here who would know the advantages of either way better than me..... but I use it both ways.

    Depending on what I am training I can sprint with the prowler, work heavy weights with the shoulder pads, stretch and flush everything taking big steps and moving slow, or doing a bear crawl with a harness..... it's all good. I use the prowler just for conditioning and recovery too......
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

    Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

  8. #7
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Do them right after your weight workouts, or the day after your weight workouts. Just don't use it the day before heavy squat or deadlift workouts.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  9. #8
    OVERCOME krazylarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bx, NY
    Posts
    401
    I did it 2x this week, after deadlift day and squat day, it was not the plan just worked out that way. It was fine, do it when ever you can.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,993
    I would do a walking workout and a sprinting workout. Sprint day on your squat day and then walk the day after for recovery.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    765
    505
    755
    Best lifts Equipped
    1050
    840
    715

    Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Similar Threads

  1. What drag sled ?
    By markdk86 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 11:55 PM
  2. Sled Draging/ Power Sled
    By strongerfaster in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 02:55 PM
  3. Drag Curls
    By Keith Wassung in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 01:26 PM
  4. For those who drag a sled
    By Alke in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
  5. What's your Drag gonna be?
    By Tryska in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-18-2002, 08:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •