Thread: When do drag sled?

Wannabebig Member

When do drag sled?

I just got a Westside sled to drag. This is my first time pulling a sled and I was wanting to know when to use it properly. I want to pull the sled to bring up some of my weak areas. Can I use it on a training day or off day? How much weight do I use and how far do I go? I already read some of the Westside articles about sled pulling.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I use the sled and prowler the day after my heavy deadlift and squat day.... but I use them more for recovery and conditioning than to gain any strength.

Had great success doing this though. I recover faster, and I've noticed that at meets I'm not as tired when it comes time to deadlift.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I use the sled and prowler the day after my heavy deadlift and squat day.... but I use them more for recovery and conditioning than to gain any strength.

Had great success doing this though. I recover faster, and I've noticed that at meets I'm not as tired when it comes time to deadlift.
    How do you know how much weight to put on the prowler and how many sets to do?

Do them right after your weight workouts, or the day after your weight workouts. Just don't use it the day before heavy squat or deadlift workouts.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I did it 2x this week, after deadlift day and squat day, it was not the plan just worked out that way. It was fine, do it when ever you can.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    How do you know how much weight to put on the prowler and how many sets to do?
    The prowler is really different on pavement vs. asphalt vs. grass so that all depends...

The loading dock behind my gym has some really rough pavement so the prowler is a bear to push... I have been using 2 plates (one on each poll) and pushing it 40 yards each way ( 80 yards round trip).....

If I take the prowler out to the street I need more weight to get the same friction going, so I'll use 4 or 6 plates

It also depends on how heavy my workout was the day before and how fast I'm pushing it....

so, sorry there's no one good answer here.... just push until you want to stop, then turn around and push it back... puke, repeat....

The prowler is really different on pavement vs. asphalt vs. grass so that all depends...

The loading dock behind my gym has some really rough pavement so the prowler is a bear to push... I have been using 2 plates (one on each poll) and pushing it 40 yards each way ( 80 yards round trip).....

If I take the prowler out to the street I need more weight to get the same friction going, so I'll use 4 or 6 plates

It also depends on how heavy my workout was the day before and how fast I'm pushing it....

so, sorry there's no one good answer here.... just push until you want to stop, then turn around and push it back... puke, repeat....
    Sorry, my question was kind of vag. Should I be running as fast as possible the whole time? Is it okay to slow down a bit at the end of the set, doing sort of a running walk? Or should it be more of a jog?

BTW, I run the prowler once a week on one of my off days just to keep my conditioning/cardio level up. It's not a top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    Sorry, my question was kind of vag. Should I be running as fast as possible the whole time? Is it okay to slow down a bit at the end of the set, doing sort of a running walk? Or should it be more of a jog?

BTW, I run the prowler once a week on one of my off days just to keep my conditioning/cardio level up. It's not a top priority.
    I'm sure that there are guys on here who would know the advantages of either way better than me..... but I use it both ways.

Depending on what I am training I can sprint with the prowler, work heavy weights with the shoulder pads, stretch and flush everything taking big steps and moving slow, or doing a bear crawl with a harness..... it's all good. I use the prowler just for conditioning and recovery too......

I'm sure that there are guys on here who would know the advantages of either way better than me..... but I use it both ways.

Depending on what I am training I can sprint with the prowler, work heavy weights with the shoulder pads, stretch and flush everything taking big steps and moving slow, or doing a bear crawl with a harness..... it's all good. I use the prowler just for conditioning and recovery too......
    Cool. I'll stick to my sprinting with lighter weights for now. And I didn't know it helped with recovery, that's awesome. Thanks for the info!

I would do a walking workout and a sprinting workout. Sprint day on your squat day and then walk the day after for recovery.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS